Five Observations from Day 2 of Rams Camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
therams.com
Five Observations from Day 2 of Rams Camp
By Myles Simmons
6-7 minutes
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Five-Observations-from-Day-2-of-Rams-Camp/c209da92-38eb-46dd-a570-595ef32f880a

The Rams completed their second training camp practice on Sunday afternoon. While the players are still acclimating and therefore not yet in pads, there were nevertheless a bevy of quality plays made throughout the day. Here are five observations from Day 2.

1) Goff looked sharp

After going through what the quarterback himself called an “up and down” Day 1, quarterback Jared Goff was on point throughout Day 2. Early in the club’s 11-on-11 drills, Goff rolled to his right off play action and hit wideout Cooper Kupp with a deep downfield pass. It was a sign of things to come for the young quarterback, as he remained sharp all practice.

“Yeah, I felt good,” Goff said during Rams Camp Live after the session. “There are some things you want back, and some things you feel good about. I think, always, you’re trying to get better. But practice is a time to make some mistakes sometimes. But, yeah, today I felt pretty good.”

Goff and wide receiver Robert Woods have also exhibited strong chemistry over the first couple of days, with Woods making a solid sideline reception during 11-on-11 drills on Sunday.

Yes it’s early, but there was a clear progression from Day 1 to Day 2 for the second-year quarterback.

2) Whitworth vs. Quinn will be fun to watch in pads

Whenever you have two elite players who line up against one another on a daily basis in training camp, it’s fun to watch. We haven’t seen left tackle Andrew Whitworth and outside linebacker Robert Quinn line up against one another in pads yet. But just from their footwork over these last two days, it’s clear there’s going to be some solid competition between them.

As the saying goes, “iron sharpens iron.” And in these first two days, sometimes Quinn wins a rep, and sometimes Whitworth wins a rep. But both players look like they’re at the top of their game.

For Whitworth, that’s despite entering camp at 35 years old.

“If you want to talk about Whit’s age, all you’ve got to do is watch him on the field and you know the productions there. The guy is a leader. The guy’s a beast,” right guard Rob Havenstein said. “Anything I can take from him and apply to my game I am going to do — clearly it works. You don’t stay in the league for that many years without being some of the best. I think it’s better for everyone that we can kind of pull off of him and take what he does.”

3) Barwin still has it

Speaking of Rams free agent acquisitions, outside linebacker Connor Barwin made a few nice moves during the 11-on-11 periods during Sunday’s practice. At one point, he broke out a spin reminiscent of one of the plays we broke down in All 22 once he signed with the club in March. (Head to the 1:00 mark in the video below.)

The outside linebacker clearly has a lot of comfort in coordinator Wade Phillips’ defensive scheme, which should only become more apparent once the players put on pads.

4) Draft picks making plays

It’s always intriguing to see the progress draft picks make from the end of the offseason program to training camp. On Sunday, tight end Gerald Everett displayed how he’s come along, making a few tough catches — including a sliding grab toward the sideline on a pass from Goff in 7-on-7 drills.

“I think when you just look at the first couple of days, the comfort level that you see in Gerald Everett and just moving around and getting lined up and just executing his role responsibility on the given play, he’s much more comfortable,” head coach Sean McVay said. “When you can do that, you can play fast and that’s when I think you’ll see his athleticism.

Elsewhere, Kupp has continued to catch just about everything in sight — including that nice rollout pass from Goff. Fellow wideout Josh Reynolds has displayed some soft hands and his lengthy catch radius — including on a nice comeback route from Goff. Fullback Sam Rogers shook off a defender during one-on-ones to make a reception out of the backfield, eliciting some “Ooos” from the assembled crowd.

And there was one play in 11-on-11 drills where outside linebacker Samson Ebukam flew through the offensive line to get a play stopped as a sack during 11-on-11. It wasn’t quite clear where he rushed from, but he arrived in the backfield quickly to induce the coaches to blow their whistles and end the play.

5) Keep an eye on…

Three under-the-radar players who have caught my attention so far in camp are defensive end Morgan Fox, wide receiver Shakeir Ryan, and defensive back Aaron Penton.

You may remember Fox from last year’s fourth preseason matchup against Minnesota when he dominated the first half with 2.0 sacks and a number of run stuffs and quarterback hits. He has speed and looks like he could be effective as a potential rotational piece along the front seven.

Ryan is an undrafted free agent out of Northwestern State, and is one of the youngest Rams at just 21 years old. But he made a nice deep reception from third-string quarterback Dan Orlovsky during Sunday’s practice. He also has been working as a returner, so it will be telling to see if he receives any game reps there during the preseason.

And Penton has flashed plenty over the first two days. On Saturday, he recorded the day’s only interception, bringing it back for an ostensible pick six. And on Sunday, he stood out in one-on-one drills when he ripped a ball out of an offensive player’s hands to force an incompletion.

Again, it’s early, and there’s much still to learn about all three players once the club puts on pads. But they’re players who have stood out to me over the first two day

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
So much for having a problem at defensive back. Penton seems to be the UDFA gem so far this offseason.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Three under-the-radar players who have caught my attention so far in camp are defensive end Morgan Fox, wide receiver Shakeir Ryan, and defensive back Aaron Penton.

I am intrigued by all three names.

Fox really showed out last preseason and seems like a good fit for the attacking 5 tech role in Wade's defense. Easley can play in that spot, but he is more of 3 tech, so Westbrooks is the only clear cut option in that spot giving Fox has a chance to make it as his backup.

The old coaching staff and new coaching staff seem to like Troy hill for some reason, but he is suspended to start the season so Penton may take that 5th CB spot and not let it go. I believe Penton received the biggest UDFA bonus so that combined with good play probably helps him secure that spot.

Shakeir Ryan I really like. He is explosive and has some return ability which helps since, there has been talk of Tavon returning fewer punts. Additionally, Mike Thomas and Pharoh Cooper were disappointing at their best and disastrous at their worst filling in Benny Cunningham, who was quietly one of the best kick returners in the league. Ryan's salary matches up with the explosive "gadgety" Taylor Gabriel type 4th option who adds another dimension to the offense. His preseason could be an audition to fill that role in 2018 after the rams inevitably move on from Tavon's contract so they can afford Donald, Tree, and Joyner.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
to fill that role in 2018 after the rams inevitably move on from Tavon's contract so they can afford Donald, Tree, and Joyner.

let's see how tavon goes before we start pushing him out the door. too much of that this offseason.

UtahRam

Rookie
Why in the world would Tavon not return punts and kickoffs? The guy has shown he could be one of the best return men in the game. Everyone always says you have to get the ball into his hands. There's no better way than to give him return duties. And don't say it's because he may get hurt returning kicks. It's football for fucks sake! He could get hurt at any time!

WvuIN02

Starter
His preseason could be an audition to fill that role in 2018 after the rams inevitably move on from Tavon's contract so they can afford Donald, Tree, and Joyner.

:deadhorse:

Give it a rest already. If last year was some sort of indictment of anyone, the entire offense including Gurley would be gone.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So much for having a problem at defensive back. Penton seems to be the UDFA gem so far this offseason.
giphy.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Why in the world would Tavon not return punts and kickoffs?

Punts yes, but kickoffs he has not returned for the Rams. Good time as any to look at others as they focus Austin on receiving and running the football as well.

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
From everuthing i am reading and seeing from Tavon this offseason and in training camp. He might not be pushed out as fast as you think. They say he is a natural fit for this offense and getting seperation on the deep routes. If he playa lights out this year he isnt going anywhere

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
To add onto some of these Tavon comments. . . doesn't his deal get quite team friendly after this year?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And there was one play in 11-on-11 drills where outside linebacker Samson Ebukam flew through the offensive line to get a play stopped as a sack during 11-on-11. It wasn’t quite clear where he rushed from, but he arrived in the backfield quickly to induce the coaches to blow their whistles and end the play.
I'm really interested in seeing what he can do in a limited role....
Great to hear about Everett too....I didn't have much faith in him with those small hands.
Sounds like the offense really picked it up in day 2.
The old coaching staff and new coaching staff seem to like Troy hill for some reason
Troy Hill looks like he can really play man to man coverage in the pros...He looked like that in college too. I'd put him in over EJ...and probably even with Webster...I think he's better than Robey too.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
let's see how tavon goes before we start pushing him out the door. too much of that this offseason.

:deadhorse:

Give it a rest already. If last year was some sort of indictment of anyone, the entire offense including Gurley would be gone.

Its not just last year Tavon has never been a good NFL receiver. All Im saying that is not all on the coaches. He has been a good running the ball but it doesn't make any sense to pay a WR what he is making for being a good runner and returner. Im not the only who thinks his game is lacking. Every time McVay speaks about Tavon he talks about his speed and wanting Tavon to become a more complete receiver. On the other hand he talks about Woods as a guy who can play inside outside and win short, intermediate, and deep. When you consider all the more important guys the Rams have to resign it doesn't make sense to pay Tavon what he earns, for the role he fills unless he improves big time (like 1,000 yard receiver good). Based on what I have seen that level of improvement at this stage of his career is unlikely IMO.