Five NFL Players Who Could Anchor Any Franchise

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-players-who-could-anchor-any-franchise-build

The Franchise Five: NFL Players Who Could Anchor Any Franchise Build
By Matt Bowen, NFL National Lead Writer

484a212f0cb0d1a7d7e1e54e6dde3654_crop_north.png

The NFL is loaded with top-tier players in the prime of their careers. Just turn on the tape and these guys will jump off the screen with ridiculous skill sets and rare playmaking ability.

But who are the guys, the team building blocks, that we can truly call “franchise players” in the league? I’m talking about proven veterans at key positions on the roster with years of future production left on the NFL stage. These are core players that we can build around based on their age, durability and consistent impact.

Starting with the quarterback position, working to the edge and finishing on strength, security and impact in the middle of the defense, here are the five names I would choose to start an NFL franchise within today’s pro landscape. Note that these selections are not intended to exist on the same roster, but rather, are five different players who could each serve as the bedrock of a NFL franchise.

hi-res-ce7cc83c8190eeda48836015c52e0aab_crop_exact.jpg

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers

Without a quarterback, you don’t stand a chance in the NFL—and Rodgers is the best in the game today.

At age 31, Rodgers is already into the prime years of his career, but I expect the Packers quarterback to set the bar at the position for the next five or six years in the league.

That means continued high-level play, decision making and elite passing numbers in any system you want to throw him in—West Coast, spread or traditional pro style. It doesn’t matter. Rodgers can sling the ball and lead an entire team no matter what type of offense he is asked to run.

Every starting quarterback in the NFL can make all the throws in the playbook, but what separates Rodgers is his lighting quick release, arm strength, accuracy and pocket mobility. He is excellent with his feet, can buy time with his athleticism and plays with superb vision. Plus, I see a guy that loves to flat-out compete on Sundays. Those are players—the leaders—you want in the huddle.

Think about it this way: Rodgers not only gives you a chance to win games on Day 1, he also puts your team in the driver’s seat as a true contender, a championship level squad. He is the perfect definition of a “franchise player” at the most important position on the field.

hi-res-05623da38499fdca294129e73323c0aa_crop_exact.jpg

Scott Halleran/Getty Images

Texans DE J.J. Watt

Why not build a franchise around the NFL’s most dominant defensive player, a guy who consistently creates impact plays, game-changing situations and forces opposing offenses to adjust their game plans?

That’s Watt—and he’s just entering the prime of his career at 26 years old.

I can’t get enough of Watt’s tape because he never stops playing. We all know he has the talent, the power and athleticism to produce for the Texans. Just focus on the counter moves, speed to power, the explosive first step, the toughness. It’s all there with Watt.

But it’s the work ethic and attention to detail in his technique that always stand out from my perspective. There are a lot of players in this league with freakish ability and eye-opening measurables, but Watt takes that to another level because he understands leverage, utilizes his hands constantly and knows how to whip his opponent at the point of attack in both the run and the pass game.

I’ve heard comparisons made with Watt and the late Reggie White. Are those fair? Yeah, I think so when talking about a defensive player that can simply take over a game.

You pay premium money for players like that and add the pieces around them to build a winning football team. I would have loved to play with this guy. He’s a beast, a tone setter and a leader on the field that always shows up when your team needs someone to make a play.

hi-res-5e3f5d2f4bd609c60f1f89d1a139b9c0_crop_exact.jpg

Justin Edmonds/Getty Images

Colts QB Andrew Luck

Luck would be a smart choice at the top of this list because of his age and the numbers he has already produced since coming into the league as the No. 1 overall pick out of Stanford. At only 25 years old, we should expect Luck to produce for at least the next seven to 10 years at the quarterback position.

I can’t put Luck on the same line as Rodgers just yet, because he’s not a finished product. But I do think he can progress to an extremely high level of play, given his size in the pocket (6’4” 240 pounds), athleticism, intermediate accuracy, above-average arm strength and field vision. Luck can spin the ball and there are some passes on the tape that are absolutely amazing given the placement and the platform he had to throw from.

If you are scouting the position, Luck checks off all the boxes, and has the athletic frame in the pocket that every team in the league wants. Plus, the arrow is pointing up, as there is a noticeable arc in his development from Year 1 to Year 3.

The way I see it, Luck is the future of the quarterback position in the NFL. And I have no problem saying that based on the tape I’ve watched. He has the skill set and the natural talent to build around for many more years in the league.

hi-res-8158af39e12f83007f0ef51fe9c55d5c_crop_exact.jpg

Christian Petersen/Getty Images

Cowboys LT Tyron Smith

I thought about going with defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh in this slot, but I couldn’t pass up Smith at this stage of his career, given that he plays a premier position in the NFL.

At just 24 years old, Smith has the ideal combination of size (6’5”, 320 pounds), power and athleticism. The Cowboys left tackle has smooth footwork for a big man that allows him to handle speed off the edge. Plus, he is quick with his hands and has the power to lock down pass rushers in one-on-one matchups. He can play on an island.

Smith is a complete player who can block in the power run game, showcase his athletic ability to climb to the second level and reach block to secure the edge in zone schemes. That’s a key to the Cowboys' attack and it also displays his versatility at the position. He doesn’t have many limitations and he is still growing as a player.

The top teams in the NFL win up front and control the tempo on the offensive line. They can protect in the passing game and get nasty when running the football. From my perspective, when you build that ideal offensive line, you start on the outside and work in.

Smith is that bookend on the front, the key piece to constructing one of the most vital aspects of the game. I’ll take the former Top 10 pick as one of my franchise guys.

hi-res-54eb1c97b4a025d5ce646e41092e826c_crop_exact.jpg

Tony Avelar/Associated Press

Seahawks FS Earl Thomas

There were a couple of directions I could have gone with final pick here. At first, I looked at the wide receiver position and Dez Bryant. Then I moved over to cornerback with Richard Sherman. But after thinking about building a defense with strength up the middle, Seattle’s Earl Thomas was the clear choice.

In my opinion, free safety is now a premium position in today’s NFL due to offensive game plans, spread sets and the impact of the tight end position. You need a free safety with range, ball skills and ability in the middle of the field. And those guys are tough to find.

But Thomas brings all of that and more to the stadium because of his speed, tackling ability, coverage skill set and awareness in the post. The Seahawks free safety is one of the Top 10 overall players in the league today and he allows you to dictate the flow of the game from the secondary. I love that stuff. That’s when you challenge wide receivers, take away specific routes and shut down the middle of the field with your free safety. Play fast and physical. That’s a beautiful thing.

There is nothing better than playing single-high safety schemes with an angel over the top of the secondary who impacts the deep ball and every pass thrown in the middle of the field. You want to limit offenses and take away options for the quarterback? You can get it done with Thomas.

Given his unique ability at a position that continues to become more and more important to defensive game planning, Thomas is a franchise player in the NFL.

Seven-year NFL veteran Matt Bowen is an NFL National Lead Writer for Bleacher Report.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
My 5 is different
I put more emphasis on playmaking disrupting Defensive Lineman and runningbacks than quarterback. QB can't win the game by himself a RB that can run over, through, around, 11 guys can.

JJ Watt
Aaron Donald (hopefully better than Watt this year)
Adrian Peterson (might be a bit too old but we'll see, I think he's got one or two good years in him)
Aaron Rodgers
Geno Atkins (if healthy, which early indications are that he is)