Fisher: 'We're closing the gap'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8d915ee7-f23b-5ecf-a81e-c54c9de63615.html
Jeff Fisher said it again Monday, at his last news conference of the 2013 regular season.

“I think we’re closing the gap (in the NFC West),” Fisher said at Rams Park. “We’re not there yet, but I think with a year of improvement we’ll be much closer.”

It takes a coach with a résumé and a lot of self-confidence to make such a statement. After all, the Rams went 4-1-1 in division games last year and fell to 1-5 against the division in 2013.

They lost four of those five games by an average of 18 points, with none of those four losses coming by fewer than 10 points.

“We’ve got to be better in the division, no question,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said after Sunday’s 27-9 loss to the newly crowned NFC West champion Seattle Seahawks. “If you’re gonna win it, you’ve got to play really well and be really good in it. And we’ve got a tough (division).

“I think that’s the most disappointing part of the season is how poorly we did against the division. At home against San Fran, that one was tough to swallow. We still are haunted by the Seattle game at home.”

In the immediate aftermath of a 7-9 regular season, it’s clear that the Rams have closed the gap on becoming a playoff-caliber team. Resounding victories over Indianapolis, New Orleans and Chicago bear testament to that. After going 3-7 a year ago outside the division, they went 6-4 this season.

BURWELL: RAMS ON THE RIGHT TRACK

If the Rams were residents of the AFC South, NFC North, or even NFC East this season, they might have been preparing for a postseason game Monday instead of taking exit physicals and cleaning out lockers. But their home is the mighty NFC West, easily the strongest division in football.

Yes, what used to be the NFC Worst is suddenly the NFC Best.

Arizona (10-6) leapfrogged the Rams into third place this season in the West. Seattle (13-3) and San Francisco (12-4) once again are legitimate Super Bowl contenders. With just two wild-card berths per conference since the realignment of 2002, you’ve got to finish at least third in your division to even have a shot at Mr. Lombardi’s trophy.

“Anything can happen,” Fisher said. “All three teams play really good defense, and we’ve got to play better offense and score more points to compete with them. I think defensively we can compete with these teams.”

If Fisher and general manager Les Snead have shown anything in their two offseasons in St. Louis, it’s that they’re not going to sit on their hands. Since he has become controlling owner, Stan Kroenke has shown a strong commitment to spend money when necessary.

The Seahawks and 49ers certainly won’t sit still — they remain obsessed with each other and their quest for Best in the West. And the Cardinals, with the shrewd hire of coach Bruce Arians, look like they’re all-in as well. So keeping up with the Joneses has never been tougher in this neighborhood.

The starting point, of course, is possession of the No. 2 and No. 13 overall picks in next May’s draft. Do they trade one of those picks? Both? Stand pat? As Fisher pointed out Monday, they have no less than 4½ months to “massage that.”

“Obviously, we’re excited about that,” Fisher said. “We have a lot of exciting things ahead of us in the offseason. A lot of decisions to make.”

Fisher said he doesn’t anticipate any coaching staff changes, but things happen, situations change. For example, with longtime Fisher associate Jim Schwartz out as Detroit head coach, does Fisher find a place for him on his staff? (Assuming Schwartz doesn’t find another head-coaching job or decides to sit out a year.)

Deciding what to do with the current roster is a key part of the equation as well. There doesn’t figure to be as much turnover as in Fisher’s first two offseasons in St. Louis, but even well-established teams churn up to a third of the roster every year.

“I am proud of this team,” Fisher said. “This team — inside the building, on the practice field — is one of the better ones from a chemistry standpoint I’ve ever been around. They do everything that’s asked of them, and they do it well.

“I think we have a lot to look forward to from the standpoint of not only last year’s young guys, but this year’s. ... We have a young team that’s gonna get better. And it’s going to get significantly better over the offseason.”

Good enough to truly compete in the NFC Best? We’ll see.

“I’m optimistic,” Laurinaitis said. “This 53 won’t be the exact same next year. But let’s be frank. There’s a lot of young guys that are gonna be back. There’s gonna be a lot of talent in here that we can win with.

“So I’m excited about the prospects of this organization, this team, and the direction that we’re going. It’s a very big offseason for us. Very big. Third year in with the head man (Fisher). Sam (Bradford) rehabbing a comeback. It’s just a big offseason, and I’ll be in St. Louis for most it.”

Two years of multiple high round picks due to our crappy record and the RGIII trade and we're closing the gap? OK.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, we are. People questioned our ability to win out of division games...so we did. IMO, Sam is the game changer. For whatever reason, he steps his game up against our rivals and we play well against them under him.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not saying we aren't getting better because we are. Only a Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder lead team wouldn't have. Have we progressed as much as we should have? That's what I'm not sure of.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm not saying we aren't getting better because we are. Only a Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder lead team wouldn't have. Have we progressed as much as we should have? That's what I'm not sure of.

It's hard to judge this early into it IMO. Next year is the year we should see the leap forward from this team. 10 wins should be the goal, in this division that'll be very good considering where this team started, flat on its back. Remember this wasn't your garden variety rebuild.

There is no doubt it wasn't a perfect first two years but I still stand by my assertion that SK wanted Fisher because Fisher had to rebuild the roster in TENN two times with a meddling owner. He figured Fisher was the best guy for a job this big.

Two 7 win seasons may not seem like much of a consolation guys but look at the last decade. You can't find a two season span with more wins than the last two years in that span and Fisher had more crap to fix than you can wrap your head around. When we look at his two seasons in that framework there is no other way to feel but positive.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
IMO, we are closing the gap in large part because of the 2013 draft. Snead's first draft in 2012 was a rookie GM draft. He made the basic mistake of getting fooled by a workout in his over drafting of Quick. And he misevaluated Pead's mental shortcomings, falling in love with his physical talents. I think the same thing applies to Givens as well in terms of mental toughness. Looking back at that draft, the mistake Snead made was not so much the trade down in the 2nd round, it was the picking of a mentally weak player like Pead instead of a workaholic player like Lavonte David, who Fisher said they liked a lot. Imagine the 2012 draft with Jeffery and David, instead of Quick and Pead. Well, we didn't get that because a rookie GM was still learning. Well, Snead appears to have learned in 2013.

This year, Snead got it right in terms of mental toughness as evidenced in the Bailey pick. This kid is tough. I heard Farr say when he was in the Seahawks locker room after the game Sunday that one of the Seahawks DBs said "who is that #12? That boy is tough, he can play." Actually, I believe mental toughness is a common thread in all the 2013 picks. I thought Tavon was mentally tougher than Patterson; Ogletree plays with an edge, so does TJM, and certainly Stacey does too.

2013 looks like a great draft to me. And it is the biggest reason why we are closing the gap in our division. One more draft like that this year should posture us to compete at a very high level. Snead said we are open for business with the #2 pick, and I'm all in on that. We got Brockers and Ogletree in trade downs. So we've seen it work.

As Fisher said yesterday, things change quickly in the NFL. With another strong draft, I expect at least 10 wins in 2014. And yes, it will come down to Bradford making the difference. It truly is a make or break year for Sam. I'm betting on him making it.

Alan

Legend
Good points from both of you and I agree that 2014 will tell the tale. We can't afford to miss on any of our 1-3 round picks this year.

Of course if they continue their excellent later round and UDFA picks that will help tremendously.

I really, really don't want to be disappointed next year like I was this year.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 looking back fondly at 2012:
IMO, we are. People questioned our ability to win out of division games...so we did. IMO, Sam is the game changer. For whatever reason, he steps his game up against our rivals and we play well against them under him.
Not this year but as you inferred, we need Sam so I'm not counting this year.

RFIP

As Fisher said yesterday, things change quickly in the NFL. With another strong draft, I expect at least 10 wins in 2014. And yes, it will come down to Bradford making the difference. It truly is a make or break year for Sam. I'm betting on him making it.

Sam was off to a monster season even in this "uneven" year. If the Rams continue with this offensive philosophy, which I am sure they will (run first), Sam will have a monster 2014. Of everything he does very welll his play action is outstanding! I need look no further than the Panther game when they continually loaded the box to stop the run and Sam tore them up deep (save for penalties and drops) like no other team has before or after.

And if they draft a guy like Watkins? I will have some even older predictions for Sam and the Rams offense but I'll wait till May for those.

RFIP

Good points from both of you and I agree that 2014 will tell the tale. We can't afford to miss on any of our 1-3 round picks this year.

Of course if they continue their excellent later round and UDFA picks that will help tremendously.

No offense but if you were disappointed at 7-9 this year then you had your sights set too high my friend.

We went in to this season with a bad plan (DRich) at RB and took too long to change, Quick was not ready to start and Givens regressed, Bailey was WAY TOO LATE to the party and Tavon was a rook. Not to mention the noticeable safety issues from day 1 and AO taking time to adjust (rookie).

The 2014 Rams will have a noticeable difference to them in confidence from the jump.

Napa Jack

UDFA
Closing the gap? Does he not see that other teams in the West are much better too?

Sam Bradford is the 3rd best qb in the NFC West (maybe the 4th) and that isn't going to change until there are upgrades all around him. All those high picks for what seems like a decade and we are still at 7 wins. It's still tough being a Rams fan. Another year of SOSAR.

Alan

Legend
Those are all good excuses but then every team has good excuses as to why they sucked.

The things that disappointed me had nothing (directly) to do with any of the issues you brought up. My disappointment stems from the horrible coaching I saw this year. I'd go into to details but you and the rest of Ram nation already know what the issues were/are.

I don't have a problem with our record (especially after losing SB), I have a problem with how we got that record.

EDIT: Capped off with "we'll fix that with a team meeting".:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will say that Fisher is right this the gap is closing with this young team...the Gap is still wide when comparing the Rams DB's with others & finally the most important & the widest gap comes when you look @ the Rams 2014 OL with the OL of the others...Grand Canyon size gap!

Until the Rams bring in some young healthy talented OL'ers will the Rams match up well. Go look how the Seahawks & 9ers built great OL's that have helped produce their winning records the past 2 to 3 seasons will provide you with the receipt.

RFIP

Closing the gap? Does he not see that other teams in the West are much better too?

Sam Bradford is the 3rd best qb in the NFC West (maybe the 4th) and that isn't going to change until there are upgrades all around him. All those high picks for what seems like a decade and we are still at 7 wins. It's still tough being a Rams fan. Another year of SOSAR.

It's easy an conveint to say things like "Sam Bradford is the 3rd best qb in the NFC West (maybe the 4th)" without blinking but I will tell you right now I disagree with that assessment. Oh I know winning cures all but for starters, Kapernick had 3100 yards passing, putting SF near the very bottom of the league, and in games vs better teams it hurt them to the extent of their 2nd place finish. Yeah Crabtree was out but V Davis and Boldin where not. And if he's supposed to be all world then those two alone should have proved it right? And he plays with a top 2 defense behind him, and a great run game beside him. Yes his 21/8 td ration is good but the best part of his game is still his ability to run and/or extend plays because without that he is simply a half field reader and if that is taken away he's toast and has to run.

As for Wilson, 26/9 w/3300 yards with much the same team as Kap has around him and he plays much the same game except Kap is more elusive due to his size/strength but Wilson sees the field better. That said, is it a fluke that its been 4 games under Fisher now that the Rams have put the clamps on Wilson every time, save for the obligatory stupid cb play of Jenkins? IMO the league is catching up to Wilson and he WILL be forced to throw more from a collapsing pocket, just as he has been these last few weeks, and it hasn't been pretty.

I'm not saying Sam is the best QB in this division as we stand here today, but I will say he has the best chance to be #1 when history looks back over his career as a Ram because great QB's will always be born from the pocket and their ability to get the ball to their play makers, not guys who need the ball to make themselves look great.

RFIP

I will say that Fisher is right this the gap is closing with this young team...the Gap is still wide when comparing the Rams DB's with others & finally the most important & the widest gap comes when you look @ the Rams 2014 OL with the OL of the others...Grand Canyon size gap!

Until the Rams bring in some young healthy talented OL'ers will the Rams match up well. Go look how the Seahawks & 9ers built great OL's that have helped produce their winning records the past 2 to 3 seasons will provide you with the receipt.

Seahawks OL is a mess and Okung is their Saffold in that he is ALWAYS injured.

Agree on SF, their line is amazing and athletic.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
The Rams ARE making progress here. Yes the Rams need to resign Saffold, hope Long comes back OK, and need another CB and a FS and could use a young QB and maybe another WR, but the Rams are not that far away. Take away the last game of the season and it's clear that in the 2nd half the youth of this team was getting better and better. Tavon looked like the guy we drafted, Tru was getting better and better, Stacy became a beast, McDonald was coming along, Ogletree looks like a star in the making, Bailey was definitely progressing, and Quinn was unstoppable. If we had Bradford all season we very well might have made the playoffs, in the leagues toughest division

Anyone who cannot see the progress this team made from start to finish must not have been watching all that close. If the Rams don't make the playoffs next year, I will believe that firings may need to take place. I'm still not sold (at all) on Walton as our DC and hope that we get a different one, but the reality is this team is on the rise. Next season, we win 10 or more games. The Rams may still have some inconsistency associated with young teams. They will make stupid mistakes/take too many penalties. But they will look at least solid every game, and spectacular in others.

Keep the faith guys, it's coming

Alan

Legend
Better players and filling holes will always help but how does that fix the coaching problems?

OK, I'll stop whining now but I keep having this recurring nightmare of our whole DB corps playing 30 yards off the LOS.

brokeu91 adding:
The Rams may still have some inconsistency associated with young teams. They will make stupid mistakes/take too many penalties. But they will look at least solid every game, and spectacular in others.

That's to be expected. But I want to see mistakes like a DB missing a chuck of a WR at the LOS.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

I'm giving Snead the benefit of the doubt that he will continue his 2013 performance level in 2014. So I'm expecting at least 3 quality starters from the draft.

I wasn't that disappointed this year after the strong wins against the Colts, Bears, and Saints. It's been a long time since we've seen our team do that.

But yes, 2014 needs to translate into a winning season, not just a few great performances.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Sam was off to a monster season even in this "uneven" year. If the Rams continue with this offensive philosophy, which I am sure they will (run first), Sam will have a monster 2014. Of everything he does very welll his play action is outstanding! I need look no further than the Panther game when they continually loaded the box to stop the run and Sam tore them up deep (save for penalties and drops) like no other team has before or after.

And if they draft a guy like Watkins? I will have some even older predictions for Sam and the Rams offense but I'll wait till May for those.

Well RFIP, 2014 is the acid test for Sam. If he gets hurt again, he fails. If he doesn't win, he fails. There is enough talent on this team to have a winning season with a very good QB. No more talking around it in 2014, Sam does it or he ain't the guy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Seahawks OL is a mess and Okung is their Saffold in that he is ALWAYS injured.
Agree on SF, their line is amazing and athletic.

I would agree on your 9ers statement completely ! The 9ers OL is #3 in the NFL on rushing yards in 2013 but the Seattle is right behind the 9ers @ #4. Rams are #19th.

The nasty run blocking Seahawks OL is that nasty. This Seattle OL averages about 26 yrs where the Ram is over 29 yrs in age. Seattle has invested in 2 first rd picks & 1 second rd pick in their starters since 2010 The Rams have only one Saffold who is a UFA in our starters. This Seattle young starting OL has 217 starts among the five with two of them pro bowlers.

The young pro bowl 25 yr old OLT Okung has 45 starts under his "always injured self". You are correct he has been injured many times close to the Roger Saffold amount. But 45 starts in 4 Just about 3 full NFL seasons of starts of his 4 NFL yrs & has been awarded a pro bowl trip.

I would say this that we saw first hand RFIP this past Sunday the gap between the Seahawks & the Rams OL's. And its a sizable gap. Add that four of the five Ram Ol'ers that we saw last Sunday will be involved in UFA in March. Where 9ers & Seahawks have built their OL's primarily through the draft the Rams have used UFA's. 3 of the Rams high cap cost purchased OL'ers were not on the field this past Sunday either on the IR or way down the depth chart. Rams will not enter post season play but the SF & Seattle will.