Fisher & Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The way this defense is playing, I'd say yea, we do need a QB to push it down field because it sure as hell seems like the D can't come up with stops or generate effective pass rush, regardless of holding.
What makes you think that Shaun Hill won't "push the ball down field"? Hill actually has a better feel for throwing the intermediate ball than Davis does. Assuming by pushing the ball down field, you aren't simply talking about airing it out and throwing it deep all day.

The deep dig route that BOTH Quick and Britt run so well, is one of the balls Hill throws very well. Also, the seam route or skinny post that Davis missed Britt on Sunday.

You keep focusing on the Davis supporters for wearing rose colored glasses regarding Davis and his mistakes. We are well aware and are most certainly not ok with them. But he looked leaps and bounds better than his 1st start. Also, what mistakes, sans the 4th quarter? 1st, 2nd, and most of the 3rd qtr I'd have to really nitpick to come away with rookie mistakes. He got us 14 points and kept Dallas' offense off the field in the first half.
What mistakes? How about the 3rd down throw to Britt that lead to the failed 4th down conversion. He waited too long to get the ball to him, and ran him right into 3 defenders. Britt crossed the face of the 1st LB before he got to the near hash mark. And yet, Davis didn't get him the ball until he was past the far hash mark, allowing the CB to come off his man and make a tackle at the point of the catch. There were also 2 other defenders waiting to make the play as well. It looks like it was Britt's fault for not getting the 1st down, and goes down as a completion for Davis, but he held the ball too long.

How about missing the read on the INT, not seeing Quick get inside of the CB on a post route, and checking it down instead, with disastrous results.

Or it's simple regression. Davis lined up in shotgun. Wells seemed not to know what the hell was going on. Everyone else seemed to however. The man hasn't been the pro-bowl C we hoped. That much is clear.
Or as Fisher stated in his press conference, the play clock was winding down, and Davis was caught trying to move guys around. I am not saying that Wells is beyond blame here, but this was not about whether he thought Davis was under center instead of in the shotgun. It was about a veteran seeing the game situation (play clock) and his QB not realizing it. Wells screwed up when he tried to stop his snap, which resulted in the fumble. But these things are happening BECAUSE of the rookie, not in spite of him.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
and yet, he was a week away from being cut AGAIN this preseason prior to the Bradford injury, and not a single team would have claimed him. Just like last year. Oh, wait, Miami claimed him, then released him a week later.

CoachO - with all due respect - maybe the powers that be didn't see or realize his talent until he was given a chance to show it on the field. I remember that happening to a former grocery store employee as well. No one is comparing Davis to Warner, but sometimes people don't show what they have until they get a chance to prove it in the game. I think he's shown enough in his first 2 games to earn the starting job. What has Hill shown?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I am not gonna go down that road again. Forget I even said anything. Go Rams!!! Austin Davis = Kurt Warner

Davis=Warner is not what I meant and you know it. I was just asking what your reasons were, no reason to get upset. If you don't want to go down whatever road you are talking about then why even respond at all?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Man, some people just get too UPSET about other peoples OPINIONS on here. CWUTIDIDTHAR?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quick times his jump better thats a catch for a big gain. It's not like it was tipped. That was a catchable ball. 40 yards min for a FG with no timeouts? I can't think of a time more suited to try to go downfield. Not to jump on Davis's side, but Fisher's staff made more poor decisions than Davis did.
Yeah if Quick continues to run and put his body on the db and go up for the catch at worse it's a incomplete pass. Quick is still learning how to use that big frame of his and next time I bet he continues to run and catch that ball. If the pass would have w3nt to britt I think it's a different outcome. To me that throw was a sign of ultimate trust between the QB and receiver

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm wondering what the hell's going on, myself. If Davis keeps getting better like he has been, we may have a QB. Hill's 34, not many years left. Why is Fisher so keen on the depth chart? I don't get it.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some people just can't admit when they are wrong about a guy. Everything that was said about AD has been proven to be misguided. Some players don't practice well but game time they play, I think the sky is the limit for this guy. I'm tired of hearing about arm strength because he has made plenty of big time throws. He knows the play book even better than Hill and that shows when he is under center making protection calls. He need these live reps because I think he could be very good

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
What mistakes? How about the 3rd down throw to Britt that lead to the failed 4th down conversion. He waited too long to get the ball to him, and ran him right into 3 defenders. Britt crossed the face of the 1st LB before he got to the near hash mark. And yet, Davis didn't get him the ball until he was past the far hash mark, allowing the CB to come off his man and make a tackle at the point of the catch. There were also 2 other defenders waiting to make the play as well. It looks like it was Britt's fault for not getting the 1st down, and goes down as a completion for Davis, but he held the ball too long.

You forgot the near INT in the first quarter when he almost puts the ball right into DL Mincey's breadbasket.

Athos

Legend
How about missing the read on the INT, not seeing Quick get inside of the CB on a post route, and checking it down instead, with disastrous results.

I didn't ask for 4th quarter mistakes. I said, up until the 4th quarter, when, for w/e reason we had Davis passing instead of establishing the run again, what mistakes did he have?

He went 15-20 in the first half and the Rams absolutely murdered the Cowgirls in ball control until Well's butt fumble. And there was 8 seconds still on the clock if someone got that right.

Again, I don't see how missing Britt is a colossal bummer. Yes, it is a pass that should be made, but it is also a pass routinely NOT made. I don't get caught up in did or didn't get that deep ball accuracy. Deep ball accuracy suffers the longer you throw it because it is a far more difficult pass to keep accurate over a longer distance. Rodgers has missed plenty of those. So has Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, and yes, probably Hill as well.

I'm just curious dude. You take out the 4th qtr where you have a rookie QB doing too much to try and win the game, and Davis was nearly as flawless as you can be for a 2nd game starter.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I didn't ask for 4th quarter mistakes. I said, up until the 4th quarter, when, for w/e reason we had Davis passing instead of establishing the run again, what mistakes did he have?

He went 15-20 in the first half and the Rams absolutely murdered the Cowgirls in ball control until Well's butt fumble. And there was 8 seconds still on the clock if someone got that right.

Again, I don't see how missing Britt is a colossal bummer. Yes, it is a pass that should be made, but it is also a pass routinely NOT made. I don't get caught up in did or didn't get that deep ball accuracy. Deep ball accuracy suffers the longer you throw it because it is a far more difficult pass to keep accurate over a longer distance. Rodgers has missed plenty of those. So has Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, and yes, probably Hill as well.

I'm just curious dude. You take out the 4th qtr where you have a rookie QB doing too much to try and win the game, and Davis was nearly as flawless as you can be for a 2nd game starter.
Why do you keep qualifying it? 2nd game starter? and I wasn't talking about the deep throw to Britt. I was talking about the 4 yard crossing route he didn't throw on time.

I have not said that I don't think he has played well. But I also am not ready to anoint him the starter for the entire season. I just tend to agree with Fisher's thought process here, and that the VETERAN Hill gives us the best chance with the remaining schedule.

I guess different opinions are wrong opinions in this case.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
IMO, and only being a fan and couch observer, Davis has earned another start. However, I am not at practice, in the film room, or behind closed doors so I can only speculate.....

But I am starting to think there is obviously something holding Fisher back from going with Davis. But what is it? Bad picks (because Hill's pick was pretty bad in the opener), youth, lack of knowledge, still learning?

Anyway, this quote sure got me thinking more about it from the presser yesterday..."I thought he played, like I said last night, good enough to win, but you got to see where you’re cutting that ball loose and he didn’t. He cut that ball loose, he got some pressure and cut it loose. Interception for a touchdown is not a good thing. It happens, but overall I thought he played a little bit better than he did last week.”

Played good enough to win?

A "little" better than last week?

I thought he played great except for that one big mistake, but he is basically a rookie.

I thought he played much better than last week except for that one big mistake, but again, he is a rookie.

Does Fisher really value making smart decisions (no turnovers) more than potential or play making ability or ability to move the ball down the field?

So my question is, although the fan base seems to heavily favor Davis for his excitement, play making ability and a sense of "freshness" at the QB position, what is the reason for Fisher's reluctance to go with Davis?

Is it his in-experience and youth?

I used to think he was just throwing a smoke-screen at opposing defenses and not naming a starter until needed, now I am starting to think something else is going on.

Any thoughts?

I've been thinking about that as well. I was amazed at his candor.

I think Fisher is riding him the way Warner was ridden. Not because they weren't good but because they were a question mark. You know what you get with Hill. A veteran. A professional. We don't really know who Austin is, although he has been spectacular.

Fisher doesn't want to hand the team over to an unknown entity.

I don't think it's risk aversion in terms of turnovers. Although that idea gives fuel to the fire for those that wish to burn Fisher in effigy.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Agreed. And this is something Wells did in what, two straight games? The second of which led to points? You should demand much much from your veteran, pro-bowl center than your 3rd string rookie QB starting his starting career game ever. This is where Fisher loses me greatly and leaves me confused. Davis gave up points on the pick 6, but so did Wells and Wells not only took points from the Rams on a likely scoring drive, he gave em right back to DAL. Bigger mistake.

INTs happen. Fumble snaps SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN! Especially in back-to-back games.

I also think that "playing a little bit better" than that TB game is disingenuous. He threw for 4 TDs as far as I'm concerned. And for being asked to pass as much as he did, he did well. Fisher has to know to run the ball after DAL goes up 27-24 with 6 minutes on the clock.
I thought I heard that Fisher says Wells thought AD was "under center" ?? That he didn't realize they were in shotgun?? How in the hell would an OC NOT know that he wasn't under center??

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I thought I heard that Fisher says Wells thought AD was "under center" ?? That he didn't realize they were in shotgun?? How in the hell would an OC NOT know that he wasn't under center??
that's NOT what he said,, in fact he said just the opposite!

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
I just don't get it. Fisher saw the same two games we saw. Well, that and over two years of watching him and getting reports from his coaching staff who have their eyes on him too. How could he do this this??? :cry: :sick: :unsure: :( :mad: :confused: :eek: I still have faith that our staff is going to look like a model when the wins come. And believe me, revenge IS sweet. Not moraliy or in a redeeming fashion, more like one of those big drinks with an umbrella on a tropical beach while watching the waves and sunbathers. SWEET!!! Anyways, I'm not jumping ship. I'm sailing with Captain Fisher! How fucking approriate did that name work out?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Ok .. so what was his reply to put it on Davis?
not at all,,, Fisher never tried to absolve Wells, but he did say that it was a lack of communication between the QB and the C. Wells had called out the protections, and according to Fisher, saw that the play clock was winding down. About the time that the ball needed to be snapped, Davis started moving people around in the formation, and took his attention away from Wells.

Wells basically false snapped the ball, and tried to stop the snap, but lost control of the ball. Which led to the fumble. It was never about thinking the play was supposed to be under center vs. shotgun. That would be the "well informed" broadcasters who made that claim. So if they said it, it must be true.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
not at all,,, Fisher never tried to absolve Wells, but he did say that it was a lack of communication between the QB and the C. Wells had called out the protections, and according to Fisher, saw that the play clock was winding down. About the time that the ball needed to be snapped, Davis started moving people around in the formation, and took his attention away from Wells.

Wells basically false snapped the ball, and tried to stop the snap, but lost control of the ball. Which led to the fumble. It was never about thinking the play was supposed to be under center vs. shotgun. That would be the "well informed" broadcasters who made that claim. So if they said it, it must be true.
Ok. thanks. But still This is the 2nd time wells has missnapped. They better get the "communications" down.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Ok. thanks. But still This is the 2nd time wells has missnapped. They better get the "communications" down.
I agree, but its too easy to put the blame on the veteran Center , when none of us really know what the "miscommunication" is from. All I know, that this same Center hasn't had these sort of issues with any of the other QBs he has played with on this team. And on both instances, it was Davis who wasn't ready when the ball was supposed to be snapped.

Athos

Legend
All they broadcast of the Wells fumble:

#ClearlyDavisFault

Oh dear god. The replay looks even worse. Wells looks backs and should see that Davis is standing THREE YARDS behind him the ENTIRE time. If you're right about 8 seconds being on the play clock still......that is ALL on Wells. 8 seconds is an eternity to still snap the ball cleanly. Ugh....