Fisher and Staff Getting Extensions?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Would a 2nd Rder be considered "High"? Just wondering is all..

What I meant was if they're in a "prove it" year they might be less likely to take a guy like Lynch at 15, or move up for a QB, since he won't translate into wins right away. Maybe that 2 year extension means "go ahead and move up, take your QB, and if you hit we'll go from there."

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
What I meant was if they're in a "prove it" year they might be less likely to take a guy like Lynch at 15, or move up for a QB, since he won't translate into wins right away. Maybe that 2 year extension means "go ahead and move up, take your QB, and if you hit we'll go from there."

Well fingers crossed on moving up to get a top QB.. Wentz or Lynch then Cook for me

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Rotoworld gives it's 2 cents worth.

Jeff Fisher - DT - Rams

ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner reports the team is "engaged in talks" with contract-year coach Jeff Fisher and his assistants about extensions.

Only the Rams. Fisher is the epitome of average. He's done very little to boost the Rams since he was hired ahead of the 2012 season, and the team's record has actually been getting worse year by year. Fisher seems ignorant to the fact that he needs a real quarterback, not some "game manager" like Nick Foles and Case Keenum. Anything besides a one-year "extension" that keeps Fisher from being a lame duck in 2016 would be a big disappointment for Rams fans.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Obviously Kronke could care less whether the Rams win or lose. He, with the help of Fisher, got the Rams to move to LA. Now he can make tons of money regardless of whether the Rams win or lose with that huge mega sports complex. So Fisher now gets his payout and the fans get a losing record for 4 straight years and probably more to come. They are already having to replace the best players that were on the Rams when Fisher took over. If the Rams do not move way up and get a good QB then it's over. The Rams will just keep replacing players and stumbling along below .500

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm fine with it.
Fisher has his flaws to be sure but after learning about and seeing the way the move went down, there was never any intention of having winning seasons in St Louis. Success and playoffs would have made Kroenkes ultimate goal more difficult.

The directions were to build a solid team, be competitive, but to stay at or below .500 ideally. No need to wake up snoozing STL fans...

7-9 is what a playoff team looks like without its QB.

Fishers record in Tennessee doesn't mean too much to me either. Totally different situation with an owner and front office that exercised their influence over the teams personnel (Vince Young).

Rams will remain in the middle of the pack until they find the QB they need...
...but this is Los Angeles now and there is a massive market waiting to be courted and asked to prom... but LA won't want to go to prom without the star QB as their date....

fancents86

Starter
U1XHIPm.gif
Almost died from choking on my dinner. Thanks guy.

Ram210

UDFA
He is not worthy of an extension, maybe just add an additional year so he is not a "lame duck" next season, but at some point you have to win in the NFL. Jeff Fisher is the poster boy for .500 and below coaching and he has had many opportunities in this league to prove otherwise.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sheesh, not that I necessarily think this is the reason - but nobody has commented that with two years added to his contract, Fisher's contract will end right before the Rams move into their new stadium. That way they can have a new, glamorous HC when they are playing in the Rams' new palace.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Rams discussing extensions with Jeff Fisher, coaching staff
By Nick Wagoner
ESPN Staff Writer

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14872177/los-angeles-rams-jeff-fisher-discussing-extension

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher is unlikely to return to his native Southern California with only one year left on his contract.

The Rams and Fisher are discussing a contract extension, league sources told ESPN, as the 2016 season is the final year of his current deal. Members of Fisher's coaching staff are also in talks about possible extensions. The deals are not yet finalized but the expectation is that they will get done.

Fisher took over as Rams coach in 2012, signing a five-year deal worth about $35 million after a year away from football. He has since led the team to a 27-36-1 record and no postseason appearances in four seasons.

The Rams went 7-9 in 2015 but made it clear late in the year that Fisher would at least get the chance to guide the team through the move back to Los Angeles and finish his initial contract with the team.

Fisher, a Culver City, California native, has previous experience leading the Houston Oilers through a move to Tennessee in 1997. In taking the Rams back to Los Angeles, Fisher will return to the site of most of his amateur playing days.

Fisher was a wide receiver at Taft High in Woodland Hills, California, and played defensive back at the University of Southern California.

"When things were kind of coming down and [chief operating officer] Kevin [Demoff] called and said, 'Do you want to be the next head coach of the Los Angeles Rams?' and I said yes I do," Fisher said at the scouting combine last week.

"So it's exciting. I mentioned this; having grown up there, my dad in 1967 took me to the Rams-Eagles game, so I have been a Rams fan since I was a kid. We all grow up as fans as kids. So all those players, the lineup -- one of the things that's been interesting for us that we've done, is the last four years we have kind of reached back out to those legends of the organization and brought them in for games and things, and they really appreciate that. So now they are going to be even closer to us."

Because of the impending move -- the Rams must be out of their Rams Park facility by the end of March -- Fisher recently stepped down from the NFL's competition committee. He said it was necessary so he could focus on the details of the move.

"Two weeks ago I had a conversation with the commissioner and I stepped down from the committee, for obvious reasons," Fisher said. "I spoke to some of the other committee members, and just the time required of me as far as this move is concerned makes this really difficult to commit 100 percent. I look at it as hopefully being a leave of absence. But I'm not participating right now."

The Rams are expected to open their new Inglewood stadium in 2019. The team will play at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in 2016.

I think some of you guys don't realize that we have a good coach. Fisher took a dumpster fire, has built a tough young team, has had some tough QB things happen. We will get over the top.

The reactionary owners, (Cleveland, Phi, now SF,) can keep firing their coaches every other year. You can call that hip and edgy. I call it foolish. We will win a Super Bowl with Fisher. Then you guys can say you supported him the whole time. (y)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think some of you guys don't realize that we have a good coach. Fisher took a dumpster fire, has built a tough young team, has had some tough QB things happen. We will get over the top.

The reactionary owners, (Cleveland, Phi, now SF,) can keep firing their coaches every other year. You can call that hip and edgy. I call it foolish. We will win a Super Bowl with Fisher. Then you guys can say you supported him the whole time. (y)

Yeah man, and I'm not done with Fish just yet unless he goes all conservative with his QB position. I think QB has screwed him over, plain and simple. Well that and his FA approach to OL early on and maybe his OC choice. But the NFL is a tough league to win in, and it doesn't take much to not reach your goals: playing in a tough division, key injuries, etc can do that to you.

If he really makes an effort to un-F the QB position, I think I'll be ok with him regardless of what happens on the field. It's hard to explain but I think he can get it done with the right pieces. He's just been missing a huge one at the most important position.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Some of you guys act like the sky is falling. Fisher is a much better coach than he is given credit for and I will happily have Kroenke pay whatever he wants to pay him to keep him here.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love seeing mediocrity rewarded. Yay.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
He and Les find a QB this off-season and give into some of Groh's concepts we'll all be singing praises.

Fish has done very well in every category except for finding a QB and an offensive coordinator.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
ahh well - there we go then...

Fisher has brought a really crappy team up to being an OK team, give us a firecracker at QB and I think we'll start seeing the results we're all craving for.

I'm hoping that as Fisher has stepped down from the NFL's Competition Committee that we'll see better results too - Fisher has balls of steel, we know that, we've seen some of the calls he makes, I just want to see him with a fire in his belly demanding the win.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
What exactly does Fisher have to do to get fired go 4-12 2-14.While I do appreciate him turning our roster over with young talent. He can't seem to let go of his predictable vanilla offense. Until he does were not going to take that next step to the playoffs.He needs to get a good OC in there and let him to his job like he does with Williams on D.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Some of you all act like there are available HOF coaches littering the landscape out there. Franchise QBs too. The NFL is hard my friends. I have no problem with the Rams staying the course for now.