First mow of Spring

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
About to head out into the jungle atop my fiery steed aka my mz61 zero turn mower. Dear Lord I detest the first mow. I have been planting trees like a MFer to turn this 4.5 acres of grass into a more park-like setting but it ain't there yet. Prayers accepted. :alol:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
At least you have the right equipment for the job.

I have a slightly better tool... it's called a lawn service. :alol:

Here in FL you have to mow year round. I gave that shit up years ago.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I personally love mowing. I love the before and after. I like to stand back and look when I'm done. It's rewarding. And, it never gets old to me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm about a third done. Had to cut at 4.5" which is max cutting height. And the yard I mowed looks like ass due to all the mulched grass, so it will need more passes to get it cut (I usually cut at 3") and then mulched in real nice.

I do love the feeling of finishing the lawn when it looks great. But I have now accepted today is a partial cut and I'll be going again in a few days when weather clears to get it done right.

Also I'm mad at myself for not ordering my new blades. These are not sharp enough sigh. Missouri has taught me that lesson over and over lol.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm about a third done. Had to cut at 4.5" which is max cutting height. And the yard I mowed looks like ass due to all the mulched grass, so it will need more passes to get it cut (I usually cut at 3") and then mulched in real nice.

I do love the feeling of finishing the lawn when it looks great. But I have now accepted today is a partial cut and I'll be going again in a few days when weather clears to get it done right.

Also I'm mad at myself for not ordering my new blades. These are not sharp enough sigh. Missouri has taught me that lesson over and over lol.
You better get back out there and finish! A storm is coming and soon that 4.5 inches will be 12.5 inches!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF

I think y'all call that Bermuda Grass. We call it a weed in California that overtakes the Fescue and Bluegrass that is more common here. The Bermuda is a pain in the ass as there is no weed and feed killer that gets rid of it. Need to pull out and pull up the rhizomes that anchor it in.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You better get back out there and finish! A storm is coming and soon that 4.5 inches will be 12.5 inches!
cushion GIF

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What? You don't own a file and a pencil or wood dowel? City slicker.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think y'all call that Bermuda Grass. We call it a weed in California that overtakes the Fescue and Bluegrass that is more common here. The Bermuda is a pain in the ass as there is no weed and feed killer that gets rid of it. Need to pull out and pull up the rhizomes that anchor it in.
Weed and feed only kills broad leaf weeds (dicots). The only way to get rid of Bermuda is to rip it out like you say or kill everything and reseed or sod. Not sure if Bermuda grows in Missouri but there are similar grasses in other areas. I remember the Zoysia craze in CA. Brilliant idea. Plant a grass that is known to be invasive in Florida because in CA it would be eminently controllable? That shit would form a mat that was like 8" thick of coarse ugly ass, uncomfortable to lie on grass. I used to have to go in with a rototiller set above the soil and chew it off, let it grow a bit, and then spray it out. Even still, it would get into other plants, sidewalks, driveways, cracks in stucco..... What a pain. Give me perennial rye, bluegrass, and fescue any day.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
About to head out into the jungle atop my fiery steed aka my mz61 zero turn mower. Dear Lord I detest the first mow. :alol:

And I thought you were finally getting that wax job you've been hinting at ...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Weed and feed only kills broad leaf weeds (dicots). The only way to get rid of Bermuda is to rip it out like you say or kill everything and reseed or sod. Not sure if Bermuda grows in Missouri but there are similar grasses in other areas. I remember the Zoysia craze in CA. Brilliant idea. Plant a grass that is known to be invasive in Florida because in CA it would be eminently controllable? That shit would form a mat that was like 8" thick of coarse ugly ass, uncomfortable to lie on grass. I used to have to go in with a rototiller set above the soil and chew it off, let it grow a bit, and then spray it out. Even still, it would get into other plants, sidewalks, driveways, cracks in stucco..... What a pain. Give me perennial rye, bluegrass, and fescue any day.
When I first started my landscape business I had a guy request Zoysia grass instead of seeding his lawn. I was like “Why?”

Anyway we plugged his entire acre lot. 6” row with a plug every 6”. We ran a string marked at 6” intervals with stakes holding it taught. One guy ran this gigantic old drill with a huge auger. Another guy sat in the garage cutting plugs by hand. One guy drop the plugs in each hole. Two guys pinched the soil around the holes. Then the last guy followed with a shot of water on each plug. What a nightmare.

Years later the couple told me that they wish they hadn’t requested it. The husband thought it would mean less mowing for him. I guess it did because up here in NE PA it turns brown as soon as it gets cold and doesn’t green up again until May. But the weeds still grow in it

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
would 30% or 45% Vinegar be able to kill it ?? a little pricey, but I use it on everything that grows in my gravel driveway.
this is 24 hours later :
1619611319307.png
swear to god when the wind changes direction, I suddenly have the urge to eat salt & vinegar chips.
1619611332052.png

maybe mow the offensive grass as low as possible and then spray it down with this. the acetic acid draws the moisture out of the weeds and the plant actually draws the vinegar down into the roots (which is why it's suggested to spray it on when it's sunny out.) but once into the roots, the weeds aren't suppose to grow back.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
would 30% or 45% Vinegar be able to kill it ?? a little pricey, but I use it on everything that grows in my gravel driveway.
this is 24 hours later :
View attachment 45166 swear to god when the wind changes direction, I suddenly have the urge to eat salt & vinegar chips.
View attachment 45167
maybe mow the offensive grass as low as possible and then spray it down with this. the acetic acid draws the moisture out of the weeds and the plant actually draws the vinegar down into the roots (which is why it's suggested to spray it on when it's sunny out.) but once into the roots, the weeds aren't suppose to grow back.
Interesting. I have never tried it. So I'm guessing it's like a natural alternative for a broad spectrum weed killer?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to see on that pic on my phone but the best way to fix gravel is a box blade and a small tractor. There are youtube vids on how to do that real quickly. Renting them is pretty cheap too.

Or just rent a bobcat and keep its blade shallow. My neighbor has a bobcat but honestly the box blade is amazing for that.

My drive is pretty long and it is an annual struggle. Lessons I have learned in the boondocks. :biggrin:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
About to head out into the jungle atop my fiery steed aka my mz61 zero turn mower. Dear Lord I detest the first mow. I have been planting trees like a MFer to turn this 4.5 acres of grass into a more park-like setting but it ain't there yet. Prayers accepted. :alol:

Slacker. I've been mowing since January.

I personally love mowing. I love the before and after. I like to stand back and look when I'm done. It's rewarding. And, it never gets old to me.

Me too. I love it when I mow on a Friday afternoon, and then wake up Saturday morning to the fresh cut smell. Bonus points if it rains right after. The best part is seeing people mow on Saturday mornings while you watch them drinking coffee. Or in the afternoon while you take a nap.

It's also really the one time that you can't be bothered for anything. Miss a work call? Sorry was mowing.

For real tho I'm really getting into lawn care and spending time taking care of it. It's very rewarding.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting. I have never tried it. So I'm guessing it's like a natural alternative for a broad spectrum weed killer?
I think it was my wife who suggested it, because she's an animal lover (plus our cat goes outdoors a lot) and doesn't want all the chemicals associated with weed killers where the animals could possibly interact with them. https://www.amazon.com/stores/Calyptus/page/203409D3-2E44-45DD-B02D-EBF3B399C654?ref_=ast_bln
sends you to the calyptus page. I love the stuff. absolutely wipes out weeds (just be careful not to get any on plants / weeds that you like, cause they're going to be gone as well. some reviewers suggest putting some dish soap in the mixture to help it stick to the plant leaves better, and although that sounds like a good idea, I haven't used it myself and the pictures show the results. just make sure you are upwind of it while using or you will have an incredible desire to eat potato chips or french fries. enjoy!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Yep. And I didn't understand why people were looking the other way and chuckling when I bought my electric mower... I don't have a massive yard... 1/3 acre...maybe?... and it would take me 3-5 hours to mow it... and F me if the damn rain wouldn't make my grass grow 4+ inches a week some weeks... wish I was kidding. During the wet season, they have to cut twice a week or it gets too overgrown for the damn HOAs around here.

I've not watered my lawn in the 12 years I've lived here and other than under the shade of the big oak out front, I've got the thickest, greenest grass.

It's like razor blades... none of that wussy soft on the feet stuff... this stuff is just shy of Legos on bare feet...