Finnegan focused on fundamentals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
By Nick Wagoner

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Seven years and 94 starts into his NFL career, Rams cornerback Cortland Finnegan insists that whatever success he’s had has been centered solely on raw ability and moxie.

As Finnegan moves toward the next stage of his career, he’s well aware that some of the natural skills that have helped him get by will slowly begin to evaporate.

Enter defensive coordinator Tim Walton. After spending the past four seasons working with Detroit’s secondary, Walton came to St. Louis this season to take over a coordinator job that was unoccupied in 2012.

In addition to actually having just one voice calling the defense, Finnegan said Walton brings with him a deep knowledge of playing in the secondary that should help Finnegan improve as a technician.

“It’s huge for me,” Finnegan said. “For seven straight years, I sort of got away with just talent. For him to come in, it’s really going to hopefully take my game to the next level as far as fundamentals and technique goes. I think every DB benefits from Tim Walton being here.”

Finnegan has done just fine under the tutelage of secondary coach Chuck Cecil, posting 17 career interceptions, earning a trip to the 2008 Pro Bowl and ultimately landing a five-year, $50 million contract from the Rams in 2012.

Cecil and assistant secondary coach Brandon Fisher have their hands full with a young secondary, which, aside from Finnegan, boasts only one player (safety Matt Giordano) with more than three years of NFL experience.

At 29, Finnegan would seem to have plenty of solid football in his future, but he also seems to be the rare player who has an early understanding of his football mortality.

In talking with former Rams receiver Isaac Bruce on Monday, he made a comment alluding to the best practice for extending careers deep into your 30s. He brought it up in discussing rookie wideout Tavon Austin, but it might actually apply more to a player like Finnegan as he closes in on his 30s.

“From my background of playing this game, the more wisdom you have, I think the more success you’ll have, even over talent,” Bruce said. “Your talent starts to fade, but the more you know, you can stay in this game a long time and have a lot of success.”

Finnegan started his first season with the Rams by posting interceptions in each of his first three games, including one returned 31 yards for a touchdown in the season opener against Detroit. Near the end of the season, Finnegan battled a thigh injury that limited him to playing exclusively in nickel situations as the third cornerback for the team’s final three games.

As he approaches this season, Finnegan says he’s making it a point to polish up his fundamentals to ensure he can keep up with players who might get by on athleticism and talent, as he has, for much of his career.

“Technique-wise, I think that’s overshadowed when you make plays on the field,” Finnegan said. “When your technique is bad, you look at just the end result. Oh, that was just a good end result, but everything in between was bad. If you can clean that up, what’s to say you can’t make more plays. I think that’s where we’re at this year.”

It’s somewhat unusual for players who haven’t turned 30 to have such perspective on their careers, but Finnegan is open and honest about the best way to ensure he can continue to produce well into his next decade.

“Not knowing when your last snap is going to be and considering my love for the game, if I can leave on that note one day and they say 'that guy was a good all-around football player, fundamentally and technique-wise on the way out,' I’ll take that,” Finnegan said.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/105732/finnegan-focused-on-fundamentals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... ndamentals</a>

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'm hoping that the lack of quality WRs to play against in practice is the main reason why Finnegan's game deteriorated so badly last year. I think he was rated in the middle forties for CBs and that's not a decent showing for the money we're paying him. Don't get me wrong, I like him now (I didn't when we first acquired him) but he needs to step up his game this year and I'm hoping that our new WRs will be the cure. With our D-line even an average DB should look pretty good all else being equal.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know how the "rankings" are put together, but our combo of Finnegan and Jenkins I'd trade for no other.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
Yeah, as usual I'm out there by my lonesome. :lol:

:lmao:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram asked incredulously:
I don't know how the "rankings" are put together, but our combo of Finnegan and Jenkins I'd trade for no other.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question.

Those are rankings that X posted from PFF. Jenkins was right there with him in the mid forties. Obviously there are other factors involved but it was Jenkins first year and he's getting better all the time. Finnegan, not so much.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
albefree69 said:
I'm hoping that the lack of quality WRs to play against in practice is the main reason why Finnegan's game deteriorated so badly last year. I think he was rated in the middle forties for CBs and that's not a decent showing for the money we're paying him. Don't get me wrong, I like him now (I didn't when we first acquired him) but he needs to step up his game this year and I'm hoping that our new WRs will be the cure. With our D-line even an average DB should look pretty good all else being equal.
I honestly think finny struggled last year due to lack of talent and inexperience playing beside him. He was trying to do to much and paid for it

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Rabid Ram with a hope and a prayer:
I honestly think finny struggled last year due to lack of talent and inexperience playing beside him. He was trying to do to much and paid for it.

I can see that as being a major part of the problem because despite all the hopeful vibes we have about our DB corps, they didn't perform all that well last year. I hope Finn plays within himself this year and our other two rookies show the improvement I fully expect them too show.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
nighttrain not stopping to pick up passengers:
sorry Albe, but i'm with GGI

Who sez I disagree with that statement? I too wouldn't trade our DB trio for another group. I'm just willing to be the only one pointing out that they didn't play all that well last year. Especially Finnegan. The other two were rookies and I see great things coming for them in the future. Finnegan needs to play better. :bg:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Finnegan was never a top-flight shutdown corner. His strength is in run support and not giving up huge plays or touchdowns, and that is what he continued to provide last year.

Not to mention the huge impact on the attitude of the defense as a whole. This is just my opinion, but you can't put a price on what he's done as a veteran leader. The whole personality of the defense changed, and he was a big part of that.

The money thing should be of little consequence to a fan. Just rate his play on the field with your eyes and ascertain whether or not the team is better with him on the field as opposed to without.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
Finnegan was never a top-flight shutdown corner. His strength is in run support and not giving up huge plays or touchdowns, and that is what he continued to provide last year.

Not to mention the huge impact on the attitude of the defense as a whole. This is just my opinion, but you can't put a price on what he's done as a veteran leader. The whole personality of the defense changed, and he was a big part of that.

The money thing should be of little consequence to a fan. Just rate his play on the field with your eyes and ascertain whether or not the team is better with him on the field as opposed to without.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Boom.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
albefree69 said:

It says right in the article why he struggled a bit. He had a leg injury.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X back from his hiatus:

I agree with much of that but regardless of the other things he brings to the table, his main job (IMO) is pass coverage and not run support. We have safeties for that job. That's not to say that we aren't a much better team with him on the roster.

As for this statement, "The money thing should be of little consequence to a fan.", I think you might be looking at that in a different way than I am. The money we spend on one player is money we can't spend on another player that we might need (think safety). So money is always a very big concern for me.

Sent via Logitech's G15 illuminated gaming keyboard.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
smram helping the blind guy cross the street:
It says right in the article why he struggled a bit. He had a leg injury.

Thanks smram! :bg:

That makes me feel much better about his play. Made my day. :ja:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X back from his hiatus:

I agree with much of that but regardless of the other things he brings to the table, his main job (IMO) is pass coverage and not run support. We have safeties for that job. That's not to say that we aren't a much better team with him on the roster.

As for this statement, "The money thing should be of little consequence to a fan.", I think you might be looking at that in a different way than I am. The money we spend on one player is money we can't spend on another player that we might need (think safety). So money is always a very big concern for me.

Sent via Logitech's G15 illuminated gaming keyboard.
Yeah, I'm just saying that allocated monies and the cap aren't things the average fan truly understands; and as such, we shouldn't try to make it a factor in determining a player's worth to the team. I mean, you can, but you'll just end up spinning your wheels about something that is very complex and may not even be as critical as you think.

You lost me when you said "regardless of the other things he brings to the table." I can't disregard those things in my evaluation. He's no liability in coverage either. Zero TDs given up if I'm not mistaken.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X missing my point:
You lost me when you said "regardless of the other things he brings to the table." I can't disregard those things in my evaluation. He's no liability in coverage either. Zero TDs given up if I'm not mistaken.

My wife is a good cook and if I remember correctly, great in bed but I married her because I love her. Love is the core reason as is pass coverage for a CB.

As for the rest, I agree and that's why I like him despite his warts.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X missing my point:

My wife is a good cook and if I remember correctly, great in bed but I married her because I love her. Love is the core reason as is pass coverage for a CB.

We're just looking at it differently is all. I don't think he was brought in because he was exponentially better than Bartell. He was (imo) brought in for all those other things he brings to the table.

Is Tavon's true worth as a WR? Or does he bring many more potential benefits besides his ability to catch a football?

That's kinda how I look at it.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
X missing my point:

So pass protection in addition to being a good cook and great in bed are the three main attributes you look for in a CB? You're a strange egg Alan. :whome?:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 showing his youth:
So pass protection in addition to being a good cook and great in bed are the three main attributes you look for in a CB? You're a strange egg Alan. :whome?:

Cooking skills are right at the top of the list. :lol: