DT Ra'Zahn Howard may be a fit for the Rams in the supplemental draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
DT Ra'Zahn Howard may be a fit for the Rams in the supplemental draft
usatsi_8095960.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...a-fit-for-the-rams-in-the-supplemental-draft/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 17 hours ago

Head coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead decided to select Isaiah Battle in the supplemental draft in 2015, so could they take another talent in this year’s draft?

Defensive lineman Ra’Zahn Howard is the Isaiah Battle of this year’s supplemental draft. What I mean by that, is that Battle was considered one of the more intriguing supplemental draft prospects in recent memory. Howard decided to enter the draft last week and since has truly been the only player who’s getting mentioned as a possible selection. It’s not uncommon for no one to be drafted, due to the fact that using a pick requires the team to relinquish that round pick in following year’s NFL draft.

Related:

Rams rookie wide receivers could make life tough on Jeff Fisher

Well, the question now becomes, would the Rams want to give up another possible fifth, sixth or seventh round pick in 2017 for this guy? Here’s the thing, his production was very underwhelming in college, but the potential is definitely there. Every team in the NFL has contacted Howard and are all expected to show up to his pro day in July, as reported by Jason La Canfora of CBSSports. Howard has the right mindset to attract teams:

“I’ll say this: if a scout were to ask me, or an NFL head coach or GM or position coach, how I describe myself, I would say I am stout against the run, big and stout against the run and an athletic type of nose guard. And I can do a lot of different things in the middle. I bring excitement, power and explosiveness to the position, and I’m able to do a lot of things. I’m versatile and still moldable. I’m still able to learn things. I see myself, God willing and if God blesses me, I see myself being one of the premier guys in the league in two years, definitely.”

Howard looks like the stereotypical type of talent that comes out of nowhere. He didn’t dominate the college ranks, so this is about the time where the casual fan will sleep on him. Make no mistake, though if a player has the work ethic, the mindset and the physical tools, while also given an opportunity to prove himself, that player has a chance to be successful. Howard has a 6-foot-3, 325-pound frame, and has the attitude, which shows that he is ready to work.

Should the Rams select Howard?
Now going back to the question at hand, my answer is yes, the Rams should select him. Last year the Rams took Battle and while they knew he wasn’t going to make the roster to start, they figured they could make him the highest paid practice squad player in the league. What did that do? It kept him protected with the Rams, and now he is currently being developed and has a chance to make the 53-man roster this season.

Howard should be picked and the Rams should evaluate where he is when he comes to the league. If they think he can contribute right away, then give him a shot on the roster. The injury to Louis Trinca-Pasat and the release of Doug Worthington free up some room at the position. In a worst case scenario, if Howard isn’t ready for the NFL the Rams could do the same thing they did with Battle and prepare him for next season. The team signed Dominique Easley to a one-year deal, but it’s not hard to project Easley having a good year and improving his value enough to leave the Rams for a better deal.

That right there is why the Rams, and any team in the NFL for that matter, should consider a player like Howard. The NFL is a league where the mantra is about the next man up, and before long, Howard could be a guy who can help to stabilize that elite defensive line.

If you enjoyed please share this article here: http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...a-fit-for-the-rams-in-the-supplemental-draft/

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Don't know anything about the guy but if our D coaches think he could be a solid back up to Brockers then sign me up.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't know anything about the guy but if our D coaches think he could be a solid back up to Brockers then sign me up.
I like the attitude! That's exactly what I want to hear!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Howard is an intriguing package for scouts. He is a big, big man (Howard says he measured 6-foot-3 1/2 and 325 pounds right now) who also has no lack of natural athleticism and speed from a youth spent excelling at boxing, wrestling and basketball. In fact, Howard didn't take up football until his junior year, and in three years at Purdue, he appeared in 24 games, registering 47 tackles and three sacks.

Some scouts believe he could be at home as a tackle in a 4-3 or anchor as a nose in a 3-4, and he continues to grow into his body and hone his technique. Howard seems driven, mentioning frequently the film work he began undertaking early in his high school career. He wants to be a tactician in the pro ranks, and not just a space-filling big body.

He is the only player generating any real buzz in this supplemental draft, and has the kind of build where, if he had gone out and performed well as a senior, he could have been set up to go on the second day of the full draft. His pro day will go a long way to cementing his draft status, but it is not uncommon for teams to take a chance during this July process.

Howard took this decision very seriously and consulted with veterans likeEagles defensive lineman Vinny Curry, a family friend, and Akeem Spence, getting their opinions of his game and his options before finalizing his route.

"I have some great positive influences who have been in my life, and those guys evaluated me

and they see the way I carry myself and I trust their opinion," Howard said. "They helped me with it and I'm so excited to see where this whole process goes, to be honest with you. I'm embracing it more than anything else."

Howard vows to be in peak condition when the NFL congregates to his pro day, and says he has heard lots of positive chatter already.

"Definitely," Howard said. "I've been hearing pretty much from every team in the league, basically, and in that sense it's fascinating to me. I was just in college getting ready for my senior year, and now I'm possibly going to be playing with or against some of the guys I look up to in the NFL. I've heard a lot of positive feedback from the teams so far. They really like me and love what I can bring to the table."

Howard will train with Spence in the coming days and will join him at Spence's football camp in Tampa. He plans on being a sponge picking up whatever pointers he can about life in the NFL and what it takes to compete at this level. Howard sounds like a young man committed to making a strong first impression, and if he can match his confidence with production, he might end up being a summer steal for some franchise.

"I'll say this: if a scout were to ask me -- or an NFL head coach or GM or position coach -- how I describe myself," Howard said, "I would say I am stout against the run -- big and stout against the run -- and an athletic type of nose guard. And I can do a lot of different things in the middle. I bring excitement, power and explosiveness to the position, and I'm able to do a lot of things. I'm versatile and still moldable. I'm still able to learn things. I see myself -- God willing and if God blesses me -- I see myself being one of the premier guys in the league in two years, definitely."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...n-howard-expects-big-turnout-at-july-pro-day/

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I wonder what pick would be necessary to acquire him.

If they REALLY are high on him and it wouldn't cost more than a 6th?

Ummmmm... Why not?

I do trust Snead, Fisher, and GW when it comes to D player evals.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
After further review...I read he's a pure nose tackle....Still need to see some film or numbers on the guy....
Read he's some-timey on his technique....standing up...also that he has weight concerns....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
After further review...I read he's a pure nose tackle....Still need to see some film or numbers on the guy....
Read he's some-timey on his technique....standing up...also that he has weight concerns....

If true this tells me to pass. Sometimes players decide to leave early for the Supp draft because they know they are facing another training camp and a college season and their heart is not in it. They think either that a change of pace with the NFL will spark them to excel or that they need to try to get into the league and get paid before they completely lose interest.

Maybe if the Rams think Wauffle can motivate him and maybe if they can get him to lose some weight, he would be worth it but is he really the prototypical athlete type that the Rams prefer to pick in the draft? Ogletree, Tavon, Cam Lynch, even Battle have some rare athleticism. Does this guy?

I like the attitude! That's exactly what I want to hear!

"Rams rookie wide receivers could make life tough on Jeff Fisher"

Don't get this info, compared to what the story is about. We already have a reduced number of picks next year, but if the kid is that good, I guess I am ok with it...

That "Rams rookie wide receivers could make life tough on Jeff Fisher" was a link to another story

…..

Legend
I'm a little weary from developing players. We've had a young, developing roster since the 1st year Fisher was here. I'm ready to be a nice mix of veteran experienced players.

I take a pass on the grounds that our player project allotment is already full and our draft day picks are already depleted.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Howard is an intriguing package for scouts. He is a big, big man (Howard says he measured 6-foot-3 1/2 and 325 pounds right now) who also has no lack of natural athleticism and speed from a youth spent excelling at boxing, wrestling and basketball. In fact, Howard didn't take up football until his junior year, and in three years at Purdue, he appeared in 24 games, registering 47 tackles and three sacks.
I was sold at boxing honestly, it's such a mentally and physically tough sport, and the fact that he didn't even start playing football until his junior year. Yeah, I think the kid is intriguing to say the least.

Either way it doesn't matter, as a fan I contemplate a lot of variables, but I never question a pick on the defensive side of the ball. If they decide he's worth it, I'll wait and smile :)

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I wonder what pick would be necessary to acquire him.

If they REALLY are high on him and it wouldn't cost more than a 6th?

Ummmmm... Why not?

I do trust Snead, Fisher, and GW when it comes to D player evals.
I think its a 6th or even 7th...

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
If true this tells me to pass. Sometimes players decide to leave early for the Supp draft because they know they are facing another training camp and a college season and their heart is not in it. They think either that a change of pace with the NFL will spark them to excel or that they need to try to get into the league and get paid before they completely lose interest.

Maybe if the Rams think Wauffle can motivate him and maybe if they can get him to lose some weight, he would be worth it but is he really the prototypical athlete type that the Rams prefer to pick in the draft? Ogletree, Tavon, Cam Lynch, even Battle have some rare athleticism. Does this guy?

That "Rams rookie wide receivers could make life tough on Jeff Fisher" was a link to another story
He left early because he isn't good in the classroom and would have had to sit out this season due to NCAA rules. He felt had he done that he would have had no chance at an NFL future. He truly wants to be an NFL pro and felt the supp draft was his only option.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I'm a little weary from developing players. We've had a young, developing roster since the 1st year Fisher was here. I'm ready to be a nice mix of veteran experienced players.

I take a pass on the grounds that our player project allotment is already full and our draft day picks are already depleted.
I feel that but the thing is you need to realize like Nick Fairley before him Dominique Easley will succeed and improve his stock enough to leave. The Rams can be ready for that if they place him on the practice squad this season and try to develop him for next year.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We don't have a NT type behind Brockers, who's contract is almost up himself. Worth developing a guy behind him in case we can't get a deal done, and rumor is this kid is very talented but raw.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
We don't have a NT type behind Brockers, who's contract is almost up himself. Worth developing a guy behind him in case we can't get a deal done, and rumor is this kid is very talented but raw.
I mean he looks like like Lousiana Tech product that got drafted in the first round this year...Vernon Butler

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He left early because he isn't good in the classroom and would have had to sit out this season due to NCAA rules. He felt had he done that he would have had no chance at an NFL future. He truly wants to be an NFL pro and felt the supp draft was his only option.

Thanks.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Well, ... we did sign Cam Thomas to fit that mold, and his is also a 1 year contract. I don't really see Easley becoming a factor regarding what we may or may not do with Howard, but i'm guessing Thomas could be. I see Easley as more of a competitor for Hayes' job if he is re-signed next year. jmo.

Last edited: