Does Joe Barksdale Have Trade Value?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
As I look at the 2nd round here there seems to still be a lot of good G talent/value here. Also heard Fisher had interest in Martin.

After watching the Buffalo trade could there be some value with Barksdale.

Say for example Sua Filo is available tonight or Trai Turner even David Yankey. Is drafting one of these guys and moving Saffold to RT a better option and maybe try to land a S by trading Barksdale?

I only starting thinking about this because of the Zac Martin thing. Also grabbing a S now might not be much of an upgrade with the S's that are left. I like Joyner but is a day 1 starter?

This all assuming the FO is convinced Jake Long is healthy.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
NO. Nyet. Nein.

No trades that just create more holes we have to fill.

We're starting Long/Robinson/Wells(Jones?)/Saffold/Barksdale. Go with that, and pick up needed depth later.

Trading a proven player for an unproven draft choice.... NO.

Also no. Did I remember to mention no?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I wouldn't move Saffold out of the guard position, and I wouldn't trade Barksdale. Having both of them gives the Rams a ton of flexibility on the line in the event someone gets dinged up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Starting ORG Rodger Saffold was the early Ram starter @ ORT....things did not go very well for him. Saffold suffered 2 major injuries by the Rams second game @ ORT. Second play in the first preseason game Saffold injured & separated his shoulder the very shoulder that the Raiders failed him on his physical. Saffold missed the entire four game preseason that he needed to learn to play the right side. Then in the first quarter of game two Saffold injured his knee, it was grade 3 sprain. Saffold never won back his ORT position basically due to being outplayed by a WWC Barksdale.

JB is a good ORT for us but after JB, the Rams have no critical swing OT on our roster & trading the Rams most experienced starting Right OT would not be something I would consider. I am not sure there is a starting ORT available and left in this draft unless its Joel Bitonio.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
It sounds like the Rams are still going to draft a guard.
Possibly in the second round if their guy is available (Bitonio, Jackson, or whomever)

Could there be a possibility that Long won't be ready to go to start the season?
We could be looking at a week one lineup of:

Robinson
???
Wells
Saffold
Barksdale

Total conjecture on my part, but I don't think I want the Rams to get rid of any OLine at this point

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All great points. Merlin you might be on to something there too. I wonder how ready Long is.

So Boffo, you think there is value to trade Barksdale :)

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
All great points. Merlin you might be on to something there too. I wonder how ready Long is.

So Boffo, you think there is value to trade Barksdale :)
A report came out just a few days ago that Long should be ready for training camp and is right on schedule to do so.

And sure, there'd be value in trading Barksdale, but unless we're talking a 1st rounder next year (which won't happen), it'd be idiotic of us to do so. A proven player is always a better commodity than a draft pick.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Saffold gets hurt when at T, it's too much movement for the hoss. He's a pro bowl guard, a straight up "G." ;)

Slappy967

Starter
I would trade Barksdale to the Rams because why on Earth with our O lines health injury would we move a starter and kill depth?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A report came out just a few days ago that Long should be ready for training camp and is right on schedule to do so.

And sure, there'd be value in trading Barksdale, but unless we're talking a 1st rounder next year (which won't happen), it'd be idiotic of us to do so. A proven player is always a better commodity than a draft pick.

I agree with most of what you are saying, my original scenario was getting a S in return, not draft picks. I like the idea of having a dominant line and having some depth on top of that, just tossing ideas out there since there is little left at S in this draft, atleast anything that could make a significant impact.

rafa

Starter
Name
Rafael
NO. Nyet. Nein.

No trades that just create more holes we have to fill.

We're starting Long/Robinson/Wells(Jones?)/Saffold/Barksdale. Go with that, and pick up needed depth later.

Trading a proven player for an unproven draft choice.... NO.

Also no. Did I remember to mention no?

Não. :LOL:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't trade Barksdale, at all.

AND, I don't see us going O-line again before R6, if Long is dinged up...

We have:

Saffold
Robinson
Wells
Jones
Barksdale

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Why jettison a known starter on our O-line at the point where we are finally starting to build it up? He knows the system and is finally in a system that fits HIM. And besides... Joe is a ROD contributor. Gotta love that too.

Can we finally just add to the O-line rather than tinker and toil? So... from my stand point - not only no but HELL NO!

Of course I am totally biased toward amassing big uglies on our lines.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Football karma dictates the team who trades a healthy starting Tackle away will have every other Tackle on IR by the 2nd game.

And anyway Barks is in his walk year which drives his value down. All he would bring is another late rounder.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
As I look at the 2nd round here there seems to still be a lot of good G talent/value here. Also heard Fisher had interest in Martin.

After watching the Buffalo trade could there be some value with Barksdale.

Say for example Sua Filo is available tonight or Trai Turner even David Yankey. Is drafting one of these guys and moving Saffold to RT a better option and maybe try to land a S by trading Barksdale?

I only starting thinking about this because of the Zac Martin thing. Also grabbing a S now might not be much of an upgrade with the S's that are left. I like Joyner but is a day 1 starter?

This all assuming the FO is convinced Jake Long is healthy.

No.
Saffold needs to stay right where he is at Guard.
That is his 'highest and best use' on the line.