Does Fisher have enough good outside Corners for 2016 season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was wondering now after the draft & UDFA signings if the current CB's cadre unit is enough to remove any concerns that the loss of 4 yr starter outside CB Janoris Jenkins & top reserve Nickle-Back & 4 yr starter FS Rod McLeod caused?

The only bona fide outside corner that has arrived since the draft concluded is a UDFA 5-11 177 pound Winston Rose from New Mexico State. UDFA DB Mike Jordan has the look of being an NFL deep safety than a Gregg Williams kind of man corner. They released 2nd yr CB Patterson last week.

Gregg has two of his last seasons outside corners returning ...Trumaine Johnson & Marcus Roberson. He does have 2014 rookie sensation EJ Gaines returning back from a serious foot injury 2015. Gregg has his last 2 yr starting Nickle-Back Lamarcus Joyner. Snead/Fisher signed UFA Nickle-Back Coty Sensabaugh who started for the first time last season out of four seasons for the Titans. Coty for the most part has been far more Nickle back than a man corner but Gregg knows Coty.

There is also UDFA from 2015 draft ...first yr CB Troy Hill who is also light 5-10 182 but Hill is a true outside man corner type, but has history of issues on and off the field. Rams are his 3rd NFL team in less than a one year.

Basically Rams have Gaines/Sensabaugh to replace Jenkins/McLeod roster spots as starting outside corner & reserve Nickel-Back. Are we OK? Roberson was the main backup last season to the outside, but we do now have Sensabaugh to join as the 4th outside corner & back up Joyner. That leaves UDFA Hill & Rose for the last roster spot as #6 or Practice Squad? Is the main Five listed below good enough?
CB's
#1-Coty Sensabaugh 27/5 5-11/187 (4th rd.2012)Nickle
#2-Trumaine Johnson 26/5 6-2/210 (3rd rd.2012)
#3-Lamarcus Joyner 25/3 5-8/184 (2nd rd.2014)Nickle
#4-Marcus Roberson 23/3 6-0/191 (UDFA)
#5-EJ Gaines 24/2 5-10/190 (6th rd.2014)
#6?-Troy Hill 24/1 5-10/182 (UDFA)
#7?-Winston Rose 21/R 6-0/174 (UDFA)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tru, Coty, Roberson,Gaines, & Joyner.....sounds like plenty right there Boni....maybe Rose makes the PS.....

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Tru, Coty, Roberson,Gaines, & Joyner.....sounds like plenty right there Boni....maybe Rose makes the PS.....
I sure hope Gaines is ready. Those Lisfranc injuries can be career killers.

If he's ready, we should be fine.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah, if Gaines returns the Rams are fine at CB. Without him I would say they will have a liability in whoever starts opposite Tru.

Good thing, though, is that they have a DC who is very good at disguising their weaknesses and getting the matchups he wants. That plus Quinn's and Ogletree's return should make up for Gaines not returning. But if he does return and plays like he was playing his rookie season this defense will be primed for the big time.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen some speculation about Sensabaugh at FS. Any thoughts on that? I don't know much about him other than his best year was under Williams coaching.

Psycho_X

Legend
We are thin at CB... especially a legit outside corner. I love Joyner and would put him up there as soon to be one of the best nickel CBs in the game but he would get exposed on the outside against taller WRs. We really only have Tru and Gaines that we can trust. Sensabaugh has not had been a great corner but Williams knew him from last time he was at Tennessee so I assume he has a role for him to play but I would not want to rely on him as our starter. I do like Roberson but there is a dropoff from Tru/Gaines to him. But it may be youth. So hopefully with some more experience Roberson can be reliable and maybe one of these UDFAs is a diamond in the rough. But it's definitely a position that could expose us if he get hit by the injury bug.

Luckily one of the best ways to cover up bad coverage is a good pass rush so if Quinn comes back to 100% it shouldn't be hard for Williams to work around exposure in the backfield. Which we might already be having to deal with cause of a lack of a coverage safety.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think if one of those UDFAs can catch on we'll be alright. I like what I've read about Jordan, but can't say I've seen him play.

Gaines' health is a huge concern to me still, but as others have said, if he comes back healthy then I'm feeling much better.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good post Boni, I'm thinking outside CB may be a bit thin, but I believe they can pick up help with camp cuts or down the road when rosters trim to 53. By then they will have seen all the new guys and what they bring. Gains is a big Q mark. Roberson has bee slowly getting better and can at least hold his own as outside CB.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's all on Gaines coming back at same level and Tru staying healthy. The others can play well.
One weak corner can ruin a whole defense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was wondering now after the draft & UDFA signings if the current CB's cadre unit is enough to remove any concerns that the loss of 4 yr starter outside CB Janoris Jenkins & top reserve Nickle-Back & 4 yr starter FS Rod McLeod caused?

The only bona fide outside corner that has arrived since the draft concluded is a UDFA 5-11 177 pound Winston Rose from New Mexico State. UDFA DB Mike Jordan has the look of being an NFL deep safety than a Gregg Williams kind of man corner. They released 2nd yr CB Patterson last week.

Gregg has two of his last seasons outside corners returning ...Trumaine Johnson & Marcus Roberson. He does have 2014 rookie sensation EJ Gaines returning back from a serious foot injury 2015. Gregg has his last 2 yr starting Nickle-Back Lamarcus Joyner. Snead/Fisher signed UFA Nickle-Back Coty Sensabaugh who started for the first time last season out of four seasons for the Titans. Coty for the most part has been far more Nickle back than a man corner but Gregg knows Coty.

There is also UDFA from 2015 draft ...first yr CB Troy Hill who is also light 5-10 182 but Hill is a true outside man corner type, but has history of issues on and off the field. Rams are his 3rd NFL team in less than a one year.

Basically Rams have Gaines/Sensabaugh to replace Jenkins/McLeod roster spots as starting outside corner & reserve Nickel-Back. Are we OK? Roberson was the main backup last season to the outside, but we do now have Sensabaugh to join as the 4th outside corner & back up Joyner. That leaves UDFA Hill & Rose for the last roster spot as #6 or Practice Squad? Is the main Five listed below good enough?
CB's

I read that Joyner was going to move to FS. Not sure if it is true. Randolph may surprise and take that spot.

Like most say, if Gaines is recovered then there is no problem. If not, then Roberson seems the most likely to start or split time with a rookie like Rose. That is definitely not optimal and Snead could have easily landed a good corner in round2, but they made a decision to sacrifice that position upgrade. I am glad to have Goff. They can find a corner next year.

I thought they might have given a guy like Cromartie a shot. While I agree that every staff wants to win, I don't think expectations are quite as high this year. The move could take its toll. It is a big adjustment, New QB, New mlb switch, adjusting to some losses. Lack of quality depth in spots. They won't really know the biggest needs until they see how it all works out.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Lots of concern - rightfully so - about Gaines coming back.
Thought this might be of interest.

NEWS RELEASE
MARCH 27, 2015
Most NFL Players with Injuries to the Midfoot Return to Game Action, Penn Medicine Study Finds
Study Assessing Career Impact of Midfoot Injuries Indicates Return to Pre-Injury Performance is Possible
LAS VEGAS — Nearly 93 percent of National Football League (NFL) athletes who sustained traumatic injuries to the midfoot returned to competition less than 15 months after injury and with no statistically significant decrease in performance, according to new research from the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. The findings, which focus on Lisfranc injuries – characterized by fracture of the midfoot bones and/or disruption of the midfoot ligaments – between 2000-2010, were presented today at the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) annual conference in Las Vegas.

Related Links
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania

University of Pennsylvania Health System

“While Lisfranc injuries have a reputation for resulting in poor player performance in the NFL, our study is the first to fully assess their career impact, including effect on athletic performance following return to competition,” said lead author Kevin J. McHale, MD, a fifth-year orthopedic resident at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. “Our findings will assist sports physicians in setting realistic goals and expectations when selecting a plan of care. They will also help address such important questions from athletes as ‘Will I ever play again? Will I be back in time for playoffs? How will this injury affect my performance after I return?’”

Lisfranc injuries can occur when a player lands on the heel of another player’s foot, or when a player’s cleats embed in the turf as they maneuver, resulting in a fracture or dislocation of the midfoot. According to the NFL’s Foot and Ankle Committee, the injuries may be a result of shoe companies using lighter weight materials and increasing the flexibility of players’ shoes. Depending on the severity, injuries are treated with prolonged rest and immobilization or surgery, often bringing a players’ season to a premature close. For example, just weeks into the 2014 season, Chicago Bears Tight End Zach Miller suffered a Lisfranc injury and missed the remainder of the season. In the Penn study, which included 11 offensive players and 17 defensive players, 22 players required surgery and six were managed non-operatively.

The Penn team found that 26 of the 28 players (92.9 percent) returned to competition in the NFL. With the exception of the two players who never returned to the NFL, the remaining 26 athletes returned to play at a median 11.1 months from time of injury and missed a median 8.5 NFL regular season games. There was no statistically significant difference in time to return to play or games missed when comparing offensive and defensive players.

The majority of players who returned to the NFL (84.6 percent) sustained season-ending Lisfranc injuries, returning to the competition between nine and 15 months following injury. Only three players (11.5 percent) returned to play during their injury season, with one additional player returning midway through the season following an offseason injury.

On average, players treated non-operatively returned to play five months and three games earlier compared to those treated operatively. Although it is possible that surgical intervention may result in a longer time to return, the authors suggest this result is more likely a reflection of greater initial injury severity in players who underwent surgery.

In addition to determining the number of players who resumed playing after their injuries, the study assessed players’ level of performance using objective data: specifically, offensive and defensive power ratings. Offensive power ratings are derived from total yards/10 + total touchdowns x6. Defensive power ratings are derived from total tackles + total sacks x2 + total interceptions x2. Analysis of athletic performance in both offensive and defensive players revealed declines in performance following return to football after Lisfranc injury that did not reach statistical significance.

“It is important to note that 14 of the 28 players produced an offensive or defensive power rating in at least one post-injury season that exceeded their pre-injury level of play, demonstrating that minimally, a return to pre-injury performance is possible,” said co-senior author Brian J. Sennett, MD, chief of Sports Medicine at the Perelman School of Medicine and the University of Pennsylvania. “Future studies should focus on identifying specific factors associated with more positive or negative prognoses.”

The design and findings of the current study parallel a similar study by Dr. Sennett and James L. Carey, MD, MPH, director of the Penn Center for Cartilage Repair and Osteochondritis Dissecans Treatment, on ACL injuries in NFL running backs and wide receivers, which was published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine in 2006.

“Of note, the ACL-injured NFL athletes did not fair quite as well,” said Carey, who is also co-senior author on the current study. “Of the ACL-injured players, one-fifth never returned to play in another regular season NFL game. For those players who returned to NFL action following an ACL injury, performance fell by one-third.”

The Lisfranc joint was originally described by Jacques Lisfranc de Saint-Martin, a Napoleonic-era field surgeon. He observed that riders who caught their feet in the stirrups when they were knocked off their horses would often suffer serious injuries to the joint that now bears his name. In some early cases, amputation of the foot was carried out following the injury.

Other Penn coauthors of the study are Joshua C. Rozell MD, a second-year orthopedic resident, and Andrew Milby, MD a fourth-year orthopedic resident.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
When you lose a CB like JJ you will notice his absent. Idk what everyone expects from Gaines, he was never a better corner than Jenkins and still has a lot to prove. Add in the recovery from injury and he has a lot of obstacles in his way. I say we taper expectations.

With that being said, I have confidence in our depth. Roberson and Joyner can get it done, and Sensabaugh has potential to really contribute. Best case scenario Tru steps up and takes JJs spot and Gaines or Roberson can cover the other CB position.

At the end of the day, I think we are solid if not spectacular at the position.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I'm no doctor but I would imagine that it would be better to be 5' 10 and 195 pounds with a Lisfranc than a 6' 6, 320 lb Tackle. Hopefully Games has been diligent in his recovery program.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read that Joyner was going to move to FS. Not sure if it is true. Randolph may surprise and take that spot.

Like most say, if Gaines is recovered then there is no problem. If not, then Roberson seems the most likely to start or split time with a rookie like Rose. That is definitely not optimal and Snead could have easily landed a good corner in round2, but they made a decision to sacrifice that position upgrade. I am glad to have Goff. They can find a corner next year.

I thought they might have given a guy like Cromartie a shot. While I agree that every staff wants to win, I don't think expectations are quite as high this year. The move could take its toll. It is a big adjustment, New QB, New mlb switch, adjusting to some losses. Lack of quality depth in spots. They won't really know the biggest needs until they see how it all works out.
I have read your post before on this tidbit of information on Joyner but have not seen it anywhere coming from Fisher or Snead as of yet but that don't mean a thing they may have already made the move. I just happen to believe that Joyner would make a excellent deep safety myself. But my concerns @ corner would stop me dead in my tracks at any thought of moving LJ from his starting Nickel Post. Hopefully Fisher & Williams feel the same. Having to replace your top starting four yr corner @ the same time replacing your four yr starter @ deep safety is serious enough but then to go replace your starting Nickle for the last two seasons IMO would be way too much at one time. They also will be replacing two real long time starters @ MLB & LDE too.

It would seem to me when you have three starting strong safeties ready to go (TJ/Mo & Mark) plus add in top reserve safety Cody Davis who has been on the Ram roster since 2012 plus 2015 Ram drafted safety Christian Bryant signed all up there would seem to be plenty of experience. Finally Snead's team found four decent looking 2016 UDFA's deep safety types in Jordan Lomax, Mike Jordan, Rohan Gaines & Brian Randolph.

Based on the above I see no need to yank & uproot Lamarcus Joyner this season with all the safeties Snead & Fisher have provided to Gregg Williams to work with. By next March free agency time both Trumaine Johnson & Marcus Roberson we enter free agency together. The 2017 corner cadre unit will sure enough be in dire-straights if we loose them both.

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
There is a good chance that they will be better without JJ blowing coverages and allowing big gains when trying to jump routes.
So, there's that!:neener:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I've never gotten the lack of depth argument at CB I have seen throughout the off season. Are we as talented as last year? probably not, but we are definitely deeper. We faced a similar predicament last year when Jenks was locked in as the CB1 and Tru coming off injury was battling Gaines for the CB2 job. This year Tru is the CB1 and Gaines coming off injury is battling Sensabaugh for the CB2 job. There is an added element this year because the looser of the CB2 job should battle Joyner for the nickel spot. In Tru, Gaines, Sensabaugh, Roberson/UDFA on the outside and Joyner, Gaines, and Sensabaugh on the inside the Rams have way more depth versatility compared to last year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
CB's
One thing has me wondering about this group, (3) of them, Sensabaugh, Joyner, and Roberson are Listed as " Safeties " on the Team Roster, So it has me wondering, about the Rams Future intensions with them!