Does a team have to win to be enjoyable?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Not only did Fisher's Rams lose too much... they were not much fun to watch. Run first. High percentage passing. Careful with the football. Bend don't break defense. Keep the game close. Etc.

Simply put; Fisher's approach, even when it worked, was... well... boring.

The NFL/Rams are selling entertainment. We watch to have fun. So even when winning... I wonder if the Ram's brass (Kevin D and Kroenke) felt they had a product the fans wanted?

Fast forward to today.

McVay brings the promise of a creative offense. The Rams will score more. Is that enough to make the Rams enjoyable even if they lose?

The short answer is; probably not. Winning trumps all.

Or... maybe not completely?

For me, it comes down to believing in the actions of a team. I can handle second guessing if we should have done this or that (in game decisions)... But I had a really hard time aligning to Fisher's game strategy. I didn't believe in it.

So, under McVay, if the game strategy is something I align with... will I enjoy the team more?

Not sure if this makes any sense? Hopefully I've described it well enough for you to comment.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Well it sure can't help ! I been a rams fan since the mid 70s , and I swear the past 3 seasons almost put me over the edge . The rams seemed to be the most boring team I Evers seen , every single week . I was losing faith , and hated their game plan but now thanks to my love of Kool aid and you guys here at ROD I'm convinced were going to the playoffs . My wife is already telling me to stop getting my hopes up , she don't know nothing about football. .. GO RAMS... I seen the rams live 5 times as a Pennsylvania fan . 0-5 . Things are bound to change... I may try another game this year if possible ..

Last edited:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Watching "your" team win is always enjoyable, but excitement is definitely welcome. For the past two seasons especially, even during a win, I've thought to myself " great another game where I just get to watch the Rams defense".

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Does a team have to win to be enjoyable?
OfYGY.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you are New Orleans like, then no. You don't have to win to have enjoyable football, but you still are disappointed. Problem with the Rams is that the defense has been so good that only a marginal offense is required to win. So I don't see how the Rams could fit the New Orleans model because if the offense turns it around but the defense plays poorly, we got big problems

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Well I enjoy the Rams period. It's football. It's the Rams. Winning makes it much, much more enjoyable. I must admit though, after 99, it was a strange feeling. The expectation in 2000 and 2001 was to win it all. Now that was disappointing. Enjoyable but disappointing at the same time. 2002 and 2003 were a little different. By then 99 has settled in, thanks to 2000 and 2001 and the expectation was getting to the postseason. Who knew we'd end up in the lifeless vacuum that was 2006-2016? They'll win again.....they always have during my fandom. Will they sustain it? McVay is young so my hope is, yes.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If you are New Orleans like, then no. You don't have to win to have enjoyable football, but you still are disappointed. Problem with the Rams is that the defense has been so good that only a marginal offense is required to win. So I don't see how the Rams could fit the New Orleans model because if the offense turns it around but the defense plays poorly, we got big problems
This is my thinking as well. The only time I enjoy myself during a loss is when we score a lot. The Detroit game and Tampa Bay game(if they lost) were the best games of the season IMO. Just seeing the offense click and put up points was fun to watch. Of course the 9-3 game vs Seattle was also a hoot. Because great defensive games are awesome as well.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Great topic. Yes. A more prolific offense (or defense for that matter) would make the losses more interesting, but possibly more frustrating. We are so conditioned to lose as Rams fans that we will take anything we can get. I remember in the 80s when it seemed like the Rams were in the playoffs or NFC championship game every other year. The Rams may have actually BEEN the best team of the seventies, but always ended up bridesmaids. Since 1990, sans GSOT, Rams fans have have had almost NADA to celebrate in the way of wins OR offense. I will take exciting, losing football over the shit we have been watching for the last 10 year all day. Every day. Twice on Sunday.

Ram65

Legend
Not only did Fisher's Rams lose too much... they were not much fun to watch. Run first. High percentage passing. Careful with the football. Bend don't break defense. Keep the game close. Etc.

It was boring and predictable. I always wanted the Rams to mix things up. Come out passing one week and not be predictable. There are different philosophies to winning. There nothing wrong with a strong defense and running game. The Rams defense could have been a little better at CB playing closer to WR. The Rams offense was too predictable with little imagination. The Rams offense was also lacking in talent. Lacking in talent and imagination doomed the offense and dulled the enjoyment for me.

Winning trumps all.

For me, it comes down to believing in the actions of a team. I can handle second guessing if we should have done this or that (in game decisions)... But I had a really hard time aligning to Fisher's game strategy. I didn't believe in it.

So, under McVay, if the game strategy is something I align with... will I enjoy the team more?

I ask these questions.

Are the Rams players and coaches prepared each and every week.?

Are they ready to give their all and play hard for 60 minutes.?

Can the Coaches make adjustment and motivate the players when needed?

Are the Rams moving forward to winning and improving?

All to often the Jeff Fisher Rams came out flat. You could see it from the beginning of games. Other times they came out fired up but, couldn't sustain it. It looks like McVay wants to play strong defense and score points. In the end losing 37-31 or 13-10 it's still losing. At least if I know there is a full commitment each week to each game eventually the wins will come.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

The NFL/Rams are selling entertainment. We watch to have fun. So even when winning... I wonder if the Ram's brass (Kevin D and Kroenke) felt they had a product the fans wanted?

Fast forward to today.

McVay brings the promise of a creative offense. The Rams will score more. Is that enough to make the Rams enjoyable even if they lose?

The short answer is; probably not. Winning trumps all.

Or... maybe not completely?

Not sure if this makes any sense? Hopefully I've described it well enough for you to comment.
I think you answered your own question in this op CGI! But to quote the great Vince Lombardi " Winning isn't everything. IT'S THE ONLY THING!(y);):D:yess:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I can say this...... winning is HARD in the NFL. Especially when most EVERYTHING is starting anew for a team.... a very YOUNG team. But ... as long as I see improvement, effort and the "want to" to get better and signs of competitiveness ... I can and will be happy. For with that, I will have optimism and hope. When JF was first hired and all that i had some hope and optimism ... but then.... it set in. Complacency, lack of drive and too conservative attitude towards improvement and winning.

The feeling i am getting now from SM and Co. have me feeling giddy and fun again. And I won't expect miracles over night. Again ... like JF coming in after Spags ... he has a LOT to clean up But I love his energy and his honest assessment that goal #1 is to change the "culture" in the building. His willingness to explore all avenues of not just improving his team, but himself as well. I like that he is confident, but not arrogant. So IMHO he is already on the right track and going to win over his team. my eyes will next be trained on how he deals with adversity and even more on how he handles guys who are "not buying in". That will tell us a lot about how his ascension scale will be headed.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Just eliminating the KNUCKLEHEADED mistakes that were always at crucial critical times .(They always are). A breath of fresh air actually seeing creative football once again on the offensive side. You know the rock is going downfield. Will we catch or drop it? Thats the next transition. New attention to small offensive details will have to have a positive effect. Getting the most out of all the talent we have and see NEW thinking we would NEVER expect the past five years.

I think we will have to squeeze out some wins to make us believe this new thinking has a way of producing better results. I'm hoping the new creativity excites us all collectively and we start seeing the light at the end of this very dark tunnel of sadness and the same old coachspeak we got tired of with every group of coaches that found themselves on the street. Remember the Dump Martz movement ? He just could'nt restock the shelves . Was perfect as JUST an offensive coordinator.

I'm sure we will have bumps along the way of clearing the airstrip for takeoff. The ball is going back in the air one way or the other. If Gurley can find what we saw at Georgia and in mega spurts his rookie year it will just open the air game up even more. I feel if we can keep Phillips happy with skilled players he can produce stops. Thats his main job. Thus scoring more and us fans cheering more and less games given away by imaturity. This veteran infusion and flushing of fishers memory done quickly could have us not blaming everything on transition and learning the new schemes. We should have much more to cheer about if Kromer rebuilds the RAMS wall to play behind and score from. Keeping injuries away from this team will be CRITICAL as we will probably be thin at first. I expect to actually see success earlier than most here do. Plus I'm OLD. Not gonna drink koolaid after the draft.

All the old fisher rules are gone. That is refreshing in itself and I feel less encumbered by those limitations as we will see a vast difference in football thinking. I see our new leaders we just signed one for each side of the ball. They must remain healthy. We won't write off any games anymore before they are played.:yess: Its a new day gang. Onward and upward. Rebuild,remake,create,execute,presise,accountable,unpredictable, POINTS FOR,New identity.CELEBRATIONS!!!!!!!!!GO RAMS!!!!!!!!:yess:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Yes winning is everything. I don't enjoy watching the Rams lose. Sometimes the pain is unbearable.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
It was boring and predictable. I always wanted the Rams to mix things up. Come out passing one week and not be predictable. There are different philosophies to winning. There nothing wrong with a strong defense and running game. The Rams defense could have been a little better at CB playing closer to WR. The Rams offense was too predictable with little imagination. The Rams offense was also lacking in talent. Lacking in talent and imagination doom the offense and dulled the enjoyment for me.

I ask these questions.

Are the Rams players and coaches prepared each and every week.?

Are they ready to give their all and play hard for 60 minutes.?

Can the Coaches make adjustment and motivate the players when needed?

Are the Rams moving forward to winning and improving.

All to often the Jeff Fisher Rams came out flat. You could see it from the beginning of games. Other times they came out fired up but, couldn't sustain it. It looks like McVay wants to play strong defense and score points. In the end losing 37-31 or 13-10 it's still losing. At least if I know there is a full commitment each week to each game eventually the wins will come.

I"m one who thinks the defense was a little overrated as a whole...Of course being overworked becsuse the offense didn't give them enough rest time was a significant factor, but the whole product can't use that as a
total reasoning...re-reading my post is much like the team, boring AND losing...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well, I'll take a tough loss, trying to win over the shit I've been getting for the last 7 years. I will say, Sam Bradfords ROY thing was the most fun I've had in a while...So....Hey, winning will take care of itself if the guys look motivated & well prepared/coached.