Do we use the franchise tag?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If so Who?

• Joyner

Votes: 48 64.9%
  • Watkins

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 13 17.6%

• Total voters

WestCoastRam

Legend
Why would Joyner give up any negotiating leverage by not going down to the wire or trying to force the Rams hand with FA. Remember, this is his big contract. The 2nd one usually is. This is most likely his best chance at his biggest payday.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Would rather franchise Watkins. While it is cheaper to franchise a safety, he'll prove to be of better value with a long-term deal. I can understand that we burnt a 2nd round pick for Watkins but thinking long-term when we have to sign Goff and Gurley, would rather have money for them

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
You dont have to franchise tag Sammy. The transition tag means the rams can match any teams offer and keep him and since no team is going to make him the 2nd highest receiver in the league at 16.2 million, the rams can sit back and wait to see what the highest offer will be and then decide if they want him at that price.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One year of a cheap excellent WR, a sixth rounder, plus a likely third round comp pick for an injury prone CB who didn't fit the new system, and a second rounder.

Sounds a little different, and a lot more fair. If that is a trade to bash Snead for, then you are really looking for reasons to bash him.

or Draft a receiver with that second round pick and hang on to him for four years.

A comp pick in round 3 if it is that high will be at the very end of round three. After the thirty second pick in round 3 you could call a fourth round pick. It was a calculated risk but they need to get two years minimum to make it worthwhile.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I doubt it, Reynolds, a late round pick or a vet on a 1year deal would be better and cheaper than Tavon most likely.

Any chance of trade for even CB Ty Hill like 7th rd pick ? What a disappointment Tavon has been .

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
or Draft a receiver with that second round pick and hang on to him for four years.

A comp pick in round 3 if it is that high will be at the very end of round three. After the thirty second pick in round 3 you could call a fourth round pick. It was a calculated risk but they need to get two years minimum to make it worthwhile.

Paying Watkins more than he is worth to the Rams makes the deal worse, not better.

Any draft pick has some risk - more than a veteran has. We knew that in fact Watkins was capable of being a significant threat on the field. They got one year of that (so far) for not a lot of - $690k, in fact. That's worth a lot right there. They also were looking to get help for Goff, so he could learn to be a quality NFL QB. He became one, and having Watkins helped him learn a lot. That has value.

I would like the Rams to keep Watkins, but they have many players to pay, and many places to spend the money. It's the nature of a salary capped sport that hard decisions have to be made, and dollar values be placed on players. I am skeptical that about a third of their available cap space (barring more cuts) is worth it to the Rams - not in an offense that is built around spreading the ball around to a lot of targets, and an offense that is likely to target their tight ends a lot more in 2018 than happened in 2017. Unless Watkins' demands are much lower than what I suspect, he will be gone, and I think that will be the right decision. Especially since I think it is best for the Rams long term to pay AD, and to frontload it before Gurley and especially Goff become due for extensions.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LJ may be one of the most versatile DB's in the NFL. LJ has spent most of his NFL life as a corner. Playing both outside corner posts when needed & primarily the Nickle & Dime Corner posts. Two seasons ago he was our starting SSLB/Nickle for Gregg Williams. Last season he started @ both of Wade's safety posts & played the Nickle. With the Rams having a major needs in the secondary still even after the Peters addition LJ has more value to this Ram team than a wide out Watkins o_O.......of-course IMO ;)

nighttrain

Legend
LJ may be one of the most versatile DB's in the NFL. LJ has spent most of his NFL life as a corner. Playing both outside corner posts when needed & primarily the Nickle & Dime Corner posts. Two seasons ago he was our starting SSLB/Nickle for Gregg Williams. Last season he started @ both of Wade's safety posts & played the Nickle. With the Rams having a major needs in the secondary still even after the Peters addition LJ has more value to this Ram team than a wide out Watkins o_O.......of-course IMO ;)
on defense:hiding:
train

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

have the rams found out why watkins refused to adjust to any balls goff threw last season? he certainly tried to run faster but i never saw him try to stop his momentum if the ball was behind him. surely this is something that needs to be sorted out before they give him a big payday, including the franchise tag.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Hey guys I know he will ask for money as well but maybe not as much coming off an injury like he suffered but maybe tagging Joyner then going after Allen Robinson would be the better move what do you guys think? If Watkins is angling for the tag or a ton of money I'd rather go that route. Opinions????

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Hey guys I know he will ask for money as well but maybe not as much coming off an injury like he suffered but maybe tagging Joyner then going after Allen Robinson would be the better move what do you guys think? If Watkins is angling for the tag or a ton of money I'd rather go that route. Opinions????

Would love Robinson if we cant retain Sammy. Maybe he could be had on a prove it deal like Jeffery got last offseason since hes coming off a injury. I will be surprised if Jags dont tag him though regardless of reports.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Robinson is a better receiver IMO. He'd look good with a real QB throwing to him like Goff.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Would love Robinson if we cant retain Sammy. Maybe he could be had on a prove it deal like Jeffery got last offseason since hes coming off a injury. I will be surprised if Jags dont tag him though regardless of reports.

Supposedly they are not tagging Robinson.

Robinson is a better receiver IMO. He'd look good with a real QB throwing to him like Goff.

I agree. He made Christian Hackenburg look good before he left. Robinson is a very good deep threat.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don’t get the quandary.

Joyner at FS was at least semi elite last year. Smart teams don’t lose such players over small salary differences. Moreover, a competitive salary offer would be just a tick less than his tag amount. IOW, why waste a tag over a lousy million or so? Pay him his $10-11 million for 5 years and move on to other players.

Joyner should be happy with something like that considering the security and injury insurance factor versus a 1 year tag. Win-win.

Watkins? Didn’t have anywhere close to a semi elite season. Offer him his $10 million on a one year prove it with encentives. He can take it or leave it. Then both sides can revisit next year when the results are in. Another win-win.

Burning a tag on Watkins wastes $6 million over his earned value. A far larger amount over value than Joyner’s would be.

In my scenario there would be no franchise tag this year.

My thoughts exactly. Was wondering if I was missing something lol. No way Joyner should get tagged. That seems like a pretty straight forward deal. Watkins on the other hand could get complicated.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You dont have to franchise tag Sammy. The transition tag means the rams can match any teams offer and keep him and since no team is going to make him the 2nd highest receiver in the league at 16.2 million, the rams can sit back and wait to see what the highest offer will be and then decide if they want him at that price.

The transition tag still comes with a guaranteed amount equal to the top five players in the league at that position.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
[QUOTE="So Ram, post: 1040865, member: 1358"

Is there a chance of keeping Tavon if they let Sammy walk ?[/QUOTE]

Are you HIGH?