Devaney drafts as bad as 2000-2007?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I got to say Devanney was worse.
Look at where he was drafting compared to 2000- 2006.

They needed a QB and had the1st pick so he picked the best in the draft, Bradford. Well duh. That was a tough one.
Saffold was a good pick, but wouldn't have needed it if he didn't blow the J. Smith pick. Crabtree was 2nd best rated player in the draft . Should have been the choice.
He had nothing to do with Long. so gets no credit for that one. But that was another well duh pick anyway.

Quinn was a no brainer when he fell that far. Top 5 talent. But was a lot of talent there when he picked.

JL was a good pick. Kudos.

Sims was a good pick, never will be a starter but was the best of the late round picks.
Look at all the picks that was wasted on mid round, never be a starter WR's.
How about the Bball player/ TE.

What was up with cutting Avery? Yes he was coming off knee surgery, but he did have a great camp. Was a viable deep threat. He will never be much above avg. but on a team so WR challenged cutting him was stupid. No the Rams want another deep threat to go with Givens. Duh.

How much better would the team be if some of those picks had been O Lineman to devlop and provide depth. Or Linebackers. Or just anyone that can still be in the NFL.
How many of those picks are still in NFL with other teams?

Then he helped in the great purge, when all the over the hill vets were brought in.

Snead in 1 year brought in more talent than Devanney ever did including Bradford if you count the value of the 2 extra 1st rounders.

Spags had a hand in all of this, while I like his values and as a person...He proved this year he's the worst D coordinator in history of the NFL. Worse than Lawrence Marmie.

Rant over

Rant over

Lesson

Oh, really?
I don't think Devaney made the decision to cut Avery as we were lead to believe that Spags had final say on personnel.

I can buy the reasoning for cutting Avery. Curry played special teams, Avery didn't.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Crabtree was rather pedestrian his first 3 years, until breaking out this year with 1,100yds. That said; he was the player I wanted in that draft with Mark Sanchez as a close 2nd.

I wasn't thrilled with Jason Smith then, but he made sense if he delivered. But, we know what happened next.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I thought Avery asked to leave.

I wouldn't say worse, but they're not anything to write home about. Kind of like being the skinniest kid in fat camp.

I also don't think Pettis is leaving next year, he's developing into a reliable redzone option, and pretty good at moving the chains. He's a solid contributor, at least right now.

Also I'd take Smith 10/10 over Sanchez. He would have destroyed our program.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Angry Ram said:
Here's what remains:

2008: Long
2009: Laurinaitis, Fletcher (I think he's gone in 2013)
2010: Bradford, Saffold, Hull
2011: Quinn, Kendricks, Pettis (won't be surprised if Pettis is gone too)

Hate to be a downer, but this is just sad. Could have as low as 7 players from this "era" in 2013.
Say what you will about the above keepers (you forgot Sims), but there was nothing worse than 2006 & 2007. There's perhaps two players (Carriker and the #2 pick RB I can't remember) still on an NFL roster. I also don't put 2008 on Devaney. Besides the Long pick (duh, as someone else said), the rest were choices still governed by the evil trifecta of Shaw, Zygmunt and Linehan.

However, there were so many unusual cuts out of training camp in 2011. Players we weren't expecting to see go; players that seemingly had a future with the Rams, cut in the name of winning the division. Most of the cuts came at the expense of youth. I still suspect Kroenke of putting pressure on Spags and his coaching staff. Which doesn't entirely excuse them for what happened last year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ram Quixote said:
Angry Ram said:
Here's what remains:

2008: Long
2009: Laurinaitis, Fletcher (I think he's gone in 2013)
2010: Bradford, Saffold, Hull
2011: Quinn, Kendricks, Pettis (won't be surprised if Pettis is gone too)

Hate to be a downer, but this is just sad. Could have as low as 7 players from this "era" in 2013.
Say what you will about the above keepers (you forgot Sims), but there was nothing worse than 2006 & 2007. There's perhaps two players (Carriker and the #2 pick RB I can't remember) still on an NFL roster. I also don't put 2008 on Devaney. Besides the Long pick (duh, as someone else said), the rest were choices still governed by the evil trifecta of Shaw, Zygmunt and Linehan.

However, there were so many unusual cuts out of training camp in 2011. Players we weren't expecting to see go; players that seemingly had a future with the Rams, cut in the name of winning the division. Most of the cuts came at the expense of youth. I still suspect Kroenke of putting pressure on Spags and his coaching staff. Which doesn't entirely excuse them for what happened last year.

Well Devaney had a hand in 2008, even tho he didn't have complete control. It's partially on him.

Yamahopper said:
I got to say Devanney was worse.
Look at where he was drafting compared to 2000- 2006.

They needed a QB and had the1st pick so he picked the best in the draft, Bradford. Well duh. That was a tough one.
Saffold was a good pick, but wouldn't have needed it if he didn't blow the J. Smith pick. Crabtree was 2nd best rated player in the draft . Should have been the choice.
He had nothing to do with Long. so gets no credit for that one. But that was another well duh pick anyway.

Quinn was a no brainer when he fell that far. Top 5 talent. But was a lot of talent there when he picked.

JL was a good pick. Kudos.

Sims was a good pick, never will be a starter but was the best of the late round picks.
Look at all the picks that was wasted on mid round, never be a starter WR's.
How about the Bball player/ TE.

What was up with cutting Avery? Yes he was coming off knee surgery, but he did have a great camp. Was a viable deep threat. He will never be much above avg. but on a team so WR challenged cutting him was stupid. No the Rams want another deep threat to go with Givens. Duh.

How much better would the team be if some of those picks had been O Lineman to devlop and provide depth. Or Linebackers. Or just anyone that can still be in the NFL.
How many of those picks are still in NFL with other teams?

Then he helped in the great purge, when all the over the hill vets were brought in.

Snead in 1 year brought in more talent than Devanney ever did including Bradford if you count the value of the 2 extra 1st rounders.

Spags had a hand in all of this, while I like his values and as a person...He proved this year he's the worst D coordinator in history of the NFL. Worse than Lawrence Marmie.

Rant over

Rant over

2008, as long as they didn't take Dorsey or Gholston, it would've been a slam dunk.

Again, 2009 was a shit hole no matter who they would've picked, obviously knowing that now helps.

Aaron Curry, Jason Smith, Andre Smith, and possibly Mark Sanchez (who probably wasn't even an option). Unless they took someone else, which they would've been blasted for "reaching."

It's the 2nd/3rd round picks that bother me. Late rounders being cut, I get it, sometimes it happens. 2nd/3rd roiunders should be huge parts of the team, but so far except Lance, there really hasn't been.

Again it's just odd that Fisher/Snead got guys to contribute year one (granted one of them was a kicker) from rounds 1-7. That's pretty good considering they didn't really have the whole time to scout while interviewing and whatnot.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Angry Ram said:
2008, as long as they didn't take Dorsey or Gholston, it would've been a slam dunk.

Again, 2009 was a shit hole no matter who they would've picked, obviously knowing that now helps.

Aaron Curry, Jason Smith, Andre Smith, and possibly Mark Sanchez (who probably wasn't even an option). Unless they took someone else, which they would've been blasted for "reaching."

It's the 2nd/3rd round picks that bother me. Late rounders being cut, I get it, sometimes it happens. 2nd/3rd roiunders should be huge parts of the team, but so far except Lance, there really hasn't been.

Again it's just odd that Fisher/Snead got guys to contribute year one (granted one of them was a kicker) from rounds 1-7. That's pretty good considering they didn't really have the whole time to scout while interviewing and whatnot.

I do think Fisher one upped the previous regime in the regard that it seems they made a conscious decision to go young regardless of what the outcome might be and stuck with it. Spags drafted a lot of young players that a lot of people were excited to see play, but then under the guise of "competition" started crusty veterans in their spots and left fans scratching their heads.

If I remember right, Laurinaitis was the only one to get played consistently his rookie year. Same thing happened in 2010 when only Bradford and Saffold hit the field with any regularity. Fisher seems want to mold these young players right from the get go, and the payoff is obvious.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Warner4Prez said:
I do think Fisher one upped the previous regime in the regard that it seems they made a conscious decision to go young regardless of what the outcome might be and stuck with it. Spags drafted a lot of young players that a lot of people were excited to see play, but then under the guise of "competition" started crusty veterans in their spots and left fans scratching their heads.

If I remember right, Laurinaitis was the only one to get played consistently his rookie year. Same thing happened in 2010 when only Bradford and Saffold hit the field with any regularity. Fisher seems want to mold these young players right from the get go, and the payoff is obvious.

Fisher's coaching staff is filled with teachers. Spags staff did a very poor job of that, IMO.