Dear fish, I support you to the fullest, but, it's time to start Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't have anything to add. I'm just here to give Tavian a thumbs down and shoot me. . . .

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
This all reminds me of when the Rams coaches were in love with Tony Banks and played him no matter how bad he was. And he was the worst QB I've ever witnessed playing in the NFL.
Keenum isn't that bad but he is no Trent Green or Kurt Warner either. I also have mixed feelings about Goff playing now. Yes, he would make the games more interesting but will it really help him advance if he is playing in a doomed system for coaches that are on their way out?

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I can't imagine one good reason to keep Fisher on. all there are is excuses and most of them are weak. I don't care that this is a young team, there are other young teams that are plenty successful (seahawks), and it's been used as a crutch for and by Fisher for years now.

Sticking with Fisher just because "it could be worse" is terrible reasoning. "but he has gathered all this talent!" and done what with it? Either waste it or let it underpreform.

The dude is in the stone age as far as offenses go and I don't see him being the coach that allows Goff to be his best.

As far as Keenum goes, he's mediocre at best and while he's supposedly a ball control guy, he's turning it over too much for an offense that seems to need every thing to go right in order to do anything. How many years of Fisher and the margin of error for the offense is still zero. This offense couldn't overcome a gradual slope. Especially when almost the entire offensive line plays terrible week in week out. How the hell is this group still so bad?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't imagine one good reason to keep Fisher on
If they start Goff and finish the year 5-3?
I'm not saying it will happen, not even close. But that sure would pose a conundrum

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I'm not saying it will happen, not even close. But that sure would pose a conundrum

Something tells me this is a possibility. Fisher using Goff for job security. a weak move but could work if Goff gets some wins. I would still want Fisher gone. This trend of stagnation can only be bucked by a change in the culture and coaching of this team. Fisher is like some sort of complex math equation that some how turns whatever you put into it 7.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I love you
PF_15_R105_MINIMAL_VA0038_W1_SQ

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Something tells me this is a possibility. Fisher using Goff for job security. a weak move but could work if Goff gets some wins. I would still want Fisher gone. This trend of stagnation can only be bucked by a change in the culture and coaching of this team. Fisher is like some sort of complex math equation that some how turns whatever you put into it 7.

Not sure about this "job security" concept

Fisher would have had more job security if he had gone with Goff cause we'd be winning games Case threw away

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fisher would have had more job security if he had gone with Goff cause we'd be winning games Case threw away
And there it is. I'm not bagging on you here, just using your quote to provide someone else with evidence that the perception is, the only problem here is the QB. You more or less just implied that this is our only problem right now.
Grazi.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
And there it is. I'm not bagging on you here, just using your quote to provide someone else with evidence that the perception is, the only problem here is the QB. You more or less just implied that this is our only problem right now.
Grazi.

but that's not what i'm saying - I'm referring rhetorically about the idea of Fisher playing Case for "job security" cause it buys him another year by not playing Goff -- and my comment was to illustrate that starting Goff would have supported the same narrative had he won equal or greater games than Case

I agree it's not Just the QB -- We have deep issues on this ball club, but yes the QB position is weird

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Not sure about this "job security" concept

"Hey, don't fire me now! I just got this rookie QB and he's playing well! You wouldn't want a coaching change to hurt his development!"

At least that's he idea behind it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
but that's not what i'm saying - I'm referring rhetorically about the idea of Fisher playing Case for "job security" cause it buys him another year by not playing Goff -- and my comment was to illustrate that starting Goff would have supported the same narrative had he won equal or greater games than Case

I agree it's not Just the QB -- We have deep issues on this ball club, but yes the QB position is weird
Oh sorry. I thought you said we'd be winning games Case threw away. If that were true, we'd be 5-3 maybe? And if THAT were the case, then there would be no issue with Fisher.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
So let's say they let fisher go, then what guys ? Another coach is going to come in here and do better right away? I don't think so, I think if fisher goes so does greg williams and that would hurt our defense. This team has gone thru so many changes and we finally have a steady defense and game plan . If Goff comes in and leads this team to wins the fire fisher chants will disappear because winning solves all . Keenum is the problem and he is truly holding this team back .

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Oh sorry. I thought you said we'd be winning games Case threw away. If that were true, we'd be 5-3 maybe? And if THAT were the case, then there would be no issue with Fisher.

Yes i did - and that was conjecture on my part
But my point is still my point and nothing at all about indicating directly or indirectly that the QB is the only problem on this team

And if we were 5-3 i'd be really happy with Fisher... But we are not 5-3 and my dream of 8-8 is slipping away

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It seems like there are plays in every game where we can say if player x catches that pass or if player y executes that block better then we'd have won.

Taken in isolation it's absolutely true. Take last nights game. Kendrick dropped an easy TD. Zuerlein missed two field goals that were long but he's more than capable of making with ease in terms of the distance. In isolation, those errors aren't on Fisher.

But when that kind of stuff happens every single week and doesn't get fixed, a pattern forms that absolutely is down to Fisher.
This is how I see it. Totally agree.

I believe there's enough talent on the team to win more games than we are winning. So, I have to look at coaching.

In my mind, there is now more than ample evidence that the coaching staff if failing on a number of fronts:
* Player development
* Game planning
* Motivation/instilling discipline
* Decision making

Is the decision to not start Goff tied to the above? Yeah, at this point, I believe it is.

Am I gonna make a federal case out of it? Why bother anymore.

I am now totally resigned to mediocrity... and fully understand I have hitched my fandom wagon (all 51 years of it) to a franchise that appears satisfied with mediocrity for now and is painfully slow to act.

Oh well... I'll be on vacation nest Sunday... so, I have that going for me!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I don't see it (meaning the Rams go 5-3 with Goff playing QB).

The coaching staff will remain.

This coaching staff is what we thought they were going into the season (I've thought they were what they are for a very long time ;)).

Put in Keenum... put in Goff... I don't see it making much difference.

The root cause, IMO, is the staff. Fisher, in particular.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
So let's say they let fisher go, then what guys ? Another coach is going to come in here and do better right away? I don't think so, I think if fisher goes so does greg williams and that would hurt our defense. This team has gone thru so many changes and we finally have a steady defense and game plan . If Goff comes in and leads this team to wins the fire fisher chants will disappear because winning solves all . Keenum is the problem and he is truly holding this team back .

You're acting like Fisher's level of success would be hard to replicate with his roster. Fisher isnt that impressive of a coach, recently or historically. He isn't elevating this roster, he is holding it back. Fisher is holding this team back far more than Case and the past few years are evidence of that. it's not like Keenum is the reason Fisher has never even been 8-8 with this team in 5 years, and if you're going to say that Fisher was held back by other QBs (Hill, Davis, etc.) then he is still at fault because he has had half a decade to address the issue and now that he finally puts big time stock into the QB spot, he doesn't use said QB he invested so much to get. If you say that Goff wouldn't be going into a good situation if he was put in now because the rest of the offense (o-line) isn't ready, it's still Fisher's fault. Yet again, tons of investment and 5 years and the line still sucks. Couldn't build a line with all the bad draft picks and absolute shit work in free agency.

There has to be a coach that can at least match Fisher and hopefully do better. this team isn't going anywhere with Fisher and I doubt they ever will. Make a change and don't live in fear that we "might" do worse. I would rather risk being awful with the hope to get better than be mediocre from now until the end of time. This team is a joke and so is Fisher and there is a reason for that. I'm tired of every time the Rams being brought up its always "7-9" or "if they lived up to their potential..." A change needs to happen.