Deandre Hopkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
(Please no feces jokes on this post. I want this to be strictly about his on-field talent)
deandrehopkinsauburnvclemsonzo0rt8qn-vl.jpg

I've been saying it since last fall, this kid is the best WR in the 2013 draft class. Does he have the Megatron measurables? No. Or the Darrius Heyward Bey 40 time? No. I think this kid has natural football instincts you can't teach.

Let me preface my argument for Hopkins by explaining why I don't like many of the top WRs on many people's boards.

-Tavon Austin: Triple threat with the ability to catch, run, and return. Sick open field moves with speed to boot. Size IS a concern for me, but not the main one. Too many people forget or just disregard the fact that Jared Cook played 70% of his PT at TENN in the SLOT. That means the other 30% of the time or the rare occasion of a 4 WR set Austin would be on the field. I'm sorry but that is way too few offensive snaps a game for the #16 pick.

-Cordarelle Patterson: A more talented version of last year's Stephen Hill. His rawness does concern me as does his football IQ. His open field speed and vision is incredible, but it won't matter if he can't consistently get open. We already have a project, lets not waste #16 on a boom or bust.

-Keenan Allen: Good speed, uses size well, good vision in the open field. I just haven't seen much on tape that jumps out at me. Don't get me wrong, very talented, I just don't think there's any one thing he will dominate in at the next level.

-Justin Hunter: Fast, has good hands, but is too thin. He fails to amaze me. Had a very solid collegiate career, but add a torn ACL to the mix and I'd rather stay away from him in the 1st.

Now for my Deandre Hopkins analysis:

6'1" 205 lbs 4.57 Forty yd dash

Good, not great measurables. Speed is adequate for the next level (think of what Fitzgerald has done with his speed). What stands out to me is the second gear he can turn on after 10-15 yards downfield. He gets natural separation and has very good football speed. Uses size well to shield off defenders and catches with his hands away from the body. Knows when to body the ball. Good sideline awareness; the best example of this at the 10:07 mark of the video posted below against BC.

His QB Taj Boyd has a strong arm but it can be inaccurate at times. Watch as Hopkins is WIDE OPEN downfield but the pass from Boyd sails outside of the field of play. As he is falling out of bounds, Hopkins makes an incredible effort to tap a toe in bounds while securing the catch.

Hopkins' route running may be what he's known best for. He is smooth in and out of his cuts and gives no indication of his route before making his break. Good route running beats speed any day of the week; you'll also have a job in the NFL for much longer (as physical traits diminish).

Also keep in mind that coming into 2012 Hopkins was viewed as the second option in the Clemson passing game. A sophomore named Sammy Watkins was one of the best WRs in the nation as a freshman putting up 82 catches for 1,219 yards and 12 TDs. Watkins had injuries and other jazz keep him out of 3 games in 2012. Instead of letting the extra attention get to him, Hopkins stepped up and turned in a 82 catch 1,405 18 TD season. Playing against many weak teams in the sub-par ACC, some would argue that Hopkins was the beneficiary of weak competition. While I'll admit he took advantage of teams like Duke putting up a 4 catch 128 yard 3 TD game, he put in work against the 3 ranked teams they played (#4 FSU, #12 SCAR, #8 LSU). Here are his numbers in those 3 games:

#4 FSU 5 rec 88 yds 60T lg 1 td
#12 SCAR 1 rec 43 yds 43 lg 1 td
#8 LSU 13 rec 191 yds 31 lg 2 td (caught a 4th & 16 pass on the game winning drive)

I also charted all of his games in 2012 to show how much of a deep threat he is. Don't read too much into players long gains; I think it's much better to see how far the ball travels on a certain play. You could have a guy who turns 10 yard curls into 40 yard gains or a guy who turns 25 yard streaks in 40 yard gains. Passes Hopkins caught that traveled 25+ yards in 2012:

AUB: ---
BALST: ---
FURM: ---
#4 FSU: 37 yd pass (60 yd TD)
BC: 32 yd pass (35 yd TD)
43 yd pass
45 yd pass
GT: 25 yd pass (58 yd TD)
35 yd pass (35 yd TD)
VT: 25 yd pass
WAKE: 25 yd pass
DUKE: 40 yd pass (45 yd TD)
50 yd pass (58 yd TD)
MAR: 28 yd pass (28 yd TD)
NCST: 40 yd pass (43 yd TD)
#12 SCAR: 40 yd pass (43 yd TD)
#8 LSU: 26 yd pass
30 yd pass

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTJjRlGOCjk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCVWGxNjF_k[/youtube]

In conclusion this is a guy who is talented enough athletically to be a star in the NFL, but I think his work ethic and technique will play more of a factor in him becoming great. Can be a factor short, intermediate, deep, and in redzone. Give Sam a legit deep threat across from Givens and could play a key role in Sam taking his game to the next level. NFL comparison: Roddy White

I'd take him at 16 or 22 if he is the Rams guy. Sometimes you have to go a little higher if you want to guarantee a pick. Guard and safety can still be had with the other 2 picks.

Speeps

Starter
That was a very good analysis, and the more tape I watch of him, the more I believe he is truly the best WR in this class. He is so smooth when running his routes. Great hip flexibility for changing direction, good speed and knows how to separate. His biggest question mark to me is his hands. I've seen him drop some balls, but it's not a major concern as he usually catches everything thrown (When thrown correctly, because I have no idea where Boyd was throwing the ball sometimes).

Great post. As you see, I'm on the bandwagon.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Speeps said:
That was a very good analysis, and the more tape I watch of him, the more I believe he is truly the best WR in this class. He is so smooth when running his routes. Great hip flexibility for changing direction, good speed and knows how to separate. His biggest question mark to me is his hands. I've seen him drop some balls, but it's not a major concern as he usually catches everything thrown (When thrown correctly, because I have no idea where Boyd was throwing the ball sometimes).

Great post. As you see, I'm on the bandwagon.

I agree. He has the ability to make great catches but just has a concentration drop once in a while. For example he was targeted 17 times vs LSU, caught 13, and had one clear drop. Something I'd like to see fixed, but not a HUGE issue

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Nice piece 24/7. Well done!

I'm willing to bet we won't be drafting Austin (goes before 16) or Patterson (too risky).

If I had to guess, we get one of these guys;

Southern Cal’s Robert Woods
Baylor’s Terrance Williams
Clemson’s DeAndre Hopkins
Louisiana Tech’s Quinton Patton
West Virginia’s Stedman Bailey

And we put a late rounder on; South Carolina’s Ace Sanders

That's two WR's in this draft.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't think he's the best, but he's pretty good. Two things, he's pretty close to Quick in terms of type of receiver. And the other is that I don't see him get great separation, BUT he may be the best receiver in traffic, he's certainly one of the best.

I like him, but I'd rather have an outside burner, or someone that can work out of the slot + the outside, and maybe even the backfield.

He's pretty productive AND he scores touchdowns, so I like that.

Nice work by the way.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
DeAndre Hopkins has second visit with the Rams
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/22/deandre-hopkins-has-second-visit-with-the-rams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -the-rams/</a>

If history continues to repeat itself, you should prepare to see wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins trade in his Clemson uniform for a Rams one. Aaron Wilson of Scout.com reports that Hopkins will be having a private workout for the Rams on Monday, which comes four days after Hopkins closed out last week by working out for the Rams the first time. Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported over the weekend that the Rams are likely to take Hopkins or Tavon Austin of West Virginia with the 16th overall selection.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm starting to want to draft Hopkins over Patterson, Hunter, etc. His hands are very good and he has good size, nice speed.

I'm not saying he'll be at this level.. but you can compare him to Roddy White. If Nuke transitions well, he can be the WR we've been needing. Imagine him going along with Givens, Quick, and Pettis.

I wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed a couple WRs in the draft either.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
Nice piece 24/7. Well done!

I'm willing to bet we won't be drafting Austin (goes before 16) or Patterson (too risky).

If I had to guess, we get one of these guys;

Southern Cal’s Robert Woods
Baylor’s Terrance Williams
Clemson’s DeAndre Hopkins
Louisiana Tech’s Quinton Patton
West Virginia’s Stedman Bailey

And we put a late rounder on; South Carolina’s Ace Sanders

That's two WR's in this draft.

I'm with you on this CGI...

and the order of your list is my hitlist - i think woods is the best compliment to what we have on the roster and a solid WR for the future and for me Ace Sanders is THE dark horse of the 2013 draft, i'm just not 100% sure he fits the makeup of what Fisher likes... big physical specimens.... jmo

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
btw 24/7 great work, loving the analysis, just I have to disagree - my no 1 WR in this draft is Robert Woods, its not the 'hollywood' pick i know, i just think he's got the attributes to be a great NFL WR

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
rams24/7 said:
-Tavon Austin: Triple threat with the ability to catch, run, and return. Sick open field moves with speed to boot. Size IS a concern for me, but not the main one. Too many people forget or just disregard the fact that Jared Cook played 70% of his PT at TENN in the SLOT. That means the other 30% of the time or the rare occasion of a 4 WR set Austin would be on the field. I'm sorry but that is way too few offensive snaps a game for the #16 pick.

Or the Rams will use Cook and Austin in the slot simultaneously like the Pats did with Welker. Or the Rams will play Austin at Flanker. Or the Rams will use Cook inline at TE or at Flanker. There's not a set spot for either player. Both are versatile and both are capable of playing 3 or 4 different positions on offense.

On top of that, Austin would contribute as a KR and PR. So I'm not buying this argument.

But I guess we'll see. If the Rams pass on Austin, maybe they do.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
jrry32 said:
rams24/7 said:

Or the Rams will use Cook and Austin in the slot simultaneously like the Pats did with Welker. Or the Rams will play Austin at Flanker. Or the Rams will use Cook inline at TE or at Flanker. There's not a set spot for either player. Both are versatile and both are capable of playing 3 or 4 different positions on offense.

On top of that, Austin would contribute as a KR and PR. So I'm not buying this argument.

But I guess we'll see. If the Rams pass on Austin, maybe they do.

Using Cook and Austin in the slot would happen very infrequently. We rarely used 4 WR sets in 2012, and even when were in come from behind passing situations we often went with 3 WR.

I don't think Austin can consistently win on the outside in the NFL due to his size. He has great speed but it will be negated if he can get off the press of divisional corners like Richard Sherman.

Cook at in-line is the scenario that would occur most imo, but I still don't see the Rams doing that much. I have a feeling they'd like to have Kendricks at in-line as much as possible with the blocking skills he possesses.

I just don't think Austin warrants the #16 overall pick. Ace Sanders is a poor man's Austin, and would cost a fraction of the price (rds 3-5).

The Rams need a legit outside presence to pair with Givens, more than they need a slot guy. I understand the unique skill set Austin brings to the table, but I'll respectfully disagree with you.

bluecoconuts

Legend
interference said:
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/22/deandre-hopkins-has-second-visit-with-the-rams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -the-rams/</a>

If history continues to repeat itself, you should prepare to see wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins trade in his Clemson uniform for a Rams one. Aaron Wilson of Scout.com reports that Hopkins will be having a private workout for the Rams on Monday, which comes four days after Hopkins closed out last week by working out for the Rams the first time. Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported over the weekend that the Rams are likely to take Hopkins or Tavon Austin of West Virginia with the 16th overall selection.

Hopkins with the 16th? I feel like they could get someone else... It sounds like they're thinking either take Austin at 16 or if he's not there take Hopkins in the second.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
I don't think he's the best, but he's pretty good. Two things, he's pretty close to Quick in terms of type of receiver. And the other is that I don't see him get great separation, BUT he may be the best receiver in traffic, he's certainly one of the best.

I like him, but I'd rather have an outside burner, or someone that can work out of the slot + the outside, and maybe even the backfield.

Nice work by the way.

+1

I might be the most down on Hopkins of anyone on this board. I like him as my 5th WR. I would take Austin, Patterson, Hunter, and Woods all before him.

I like his instincts. He might be the WR most capable of stepping in and contributing in a normal fashion right way. But I dont see him as a playmaker. IMO he's not big enough and he's not fast enough. He doesn't have the ceiling the other guys have.

IMO he is not a first round WR

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
shaunpinney said:
btw 24/7 great work, loving the analysis, just I have to disagree - my no 1 WR in this draft is Robert Woods, its not the 'hollywood' pick i know, i just think he's got the attributes to be a great NFL WR

I like Woods, but I don't love him. He is a great route runner and catches the ball very well, but to me there is no area of his game that wows me. He's got decent speed, but to me he just comes across as a slightly better Brandon Gibson who lives on the short routes and making people miss. I don't think he can get away with a lot of short passes he turned into big gains in college, in the NFL. Remember, the Pac 12 isn't known for it's defense or tackling.

Looking at his tape from this year and last, and I've come to the conclusion that he isn't a consistent deep threat. Most of his balls come on bubble screens, curls, and quick slants. I also don't like that he only shat on bad teams like Syracuse and Colorado. But against teams like Oregon, Stanford, etc. he was a non factor.

A guy who's polished coming out of school, but who has little room to grow. I think what you see coming out with Woods is very close to what you'll get. I think the Rams are looking for more.

Sorry to rant on your guy, just my opinion.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
bluecoconuts said:
interference said:

Hopkins with the 16th? I feel like they could get someone else... It sounds like they're thinking either take Austin at 16 or if he's not there take Hopkins in the second.

16 if he's the Rams "guy." If they want to guarantee they'll get him, they snatch him at 16. But I could see them pass him at 16 draft Warmack or Cooper (to name a few) and then hope Hopkins is there at 22. I don't think he makes it into round 2, especially not mid-round where we're picking

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:

Nice work by the way.

+1

I might be the most down on Hopkins of anyone on this board. I like him as my 5th WR. I would take Austin, Patterson, Hunter, and Woods all before him.

I like his instincts. He might be the WR most capable of stepping in and contributing in a normal fashion right way. But I dont see him as a playmaker. IMO he's not big enough and he's not fast enough. He doesn't have the ceiling the other guys have.

People said that about Fitz too. Hopkins has field speed and the route running will help. The facts are irrefutable: look at all those long TDs I listed. He got lucky more than a few times :bg:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
rams24/7 said:
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:

Nice work by the way.

+1

People said that about Fitz too. Hopkins has field speed and the route running will help. The facts are irrefutable: look at all those long TDs I listed. He got lucky more than a few times :bg:

He was the #1 WR on a team with an explosive offense. He was also surrounded by talent. Boyd was projected by many to be this years top QB prospect had he declared for the draft. Ellington was a very good college RB.

I just dont see what y'all do in him. I mean, I love the instincts, the hands, the route running, and the production, but talent wise I dont see a first round WR. And we arnt even discussing the possinle off the field stuff. He is no Fitz.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
libertadrocks said:
rams24/7 said:
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:

Nice work by the way.

+1

He was the #1 WR on a team with an explosive offense. He was also surrounded by talent. Boyd was projected by many to be this years top QB prospect had he declared for the draft. Ellington was a very good college RB.

I just dont see what y'all do in him. I mean, I love the instincts, the hands, the route running, and the production, but talent wise I dont see a first round WR. And we arnt even discussing the possinle off the field stuff. He is no Fitz.

You're saying he benefited from having talent around him. So what's your point? Is it his fault he played on a good team? I didn't hear people say that Julio Jones was a guy who played on a team with a great backfield, o-line, and defense when he came out. They game him credit for what he accomplished. Sure Nuke benefited from having Ellington, Boyd, and Watkins (at times), but the tape doesn't lie. He had a great year.

Never said he was Fitz, I was simply making the 40 time comparison

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
rams24/7 said:
You're saying he benefited from having talent around him. So what's your point? Is it his fault he played on a good team? I didn't hear people say that Julio Jones was a guy who played on a team with a great backfield, o-line, and defense when he came out. They game him credit for what he accomplished. Sure Nuke benefited from having Ellington, Boyd, and Watkins (at times), but the tape doesn't lie. He had a great year.

I'm saying when you play on an explosive offense, there are more TDs being scored. So to measure a guy on the basis of TDs isnt the most wise metric.

I'm not going to take anything away from Hopkins. He was a stud last year. But, IMO, you dont take guys like Hopkins in the first. His ceiling isnt high enough. He doesnt have the speed or the size.

Fitz ran a 4.4 and measured 6-3. Both better than Hopkins.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
libertadrocks said:
rams24/7 said:

I'm saying when you play on an explosive offense, there are more TDs being scored. So to measure a guy on the basis of TDs isnt the most wise metric.

I'm not going to take anything away from Hopkins. He was a stud last year. But, IMO, you dont take guys like Hopkins in the first. His ceiling isnt high enough. He doesnt have the speed or the size.

Fitz ran a 4.4 and measured 6-3. Both better than Hopkins.
Is he markedly better than Austin Pettis in any way?
Intangibles, body type, speed, hands, etc?