Davis, Young and Stalter on why Austin telegraphs routes like a high schooler

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree that they should be better technicians at this point. Too many mistakes for my liking. Maybe the position coaches need overhauling, because we all see the difference between Loney and Boudreau.

Get Torry Holt in as WR coach or somethin. And see if Aeneas wants to be a DB coach while you're at it.

V3

Hall of Fame
I agree that they should be better technicians at this point. Too many mistakes for my liking. Maybe the position coaches need overhauling, because we all see the difference between Loney and Boudreau.

Get Torry Holt in as WR coach or somethin. And see if Aeneas wants to be a DB coach while you're at it.

Why is it that when I suggest this, I get shot down? I have my doubts with the WR coach, the secondary coach, and the DC. OC is also in play but I think he's gotten a little better as the year went on. Still not great, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Hmmm... You coming around to the dark side man?

fearsomefour

Legend

It kills me that Henry Ellard is coaching receivers somewhere else.

Good piece. It speaks to two things to me. First, the coaching as they were saying. Also all three of those guys are guys who played at smaller schools (Jenkins, Johnson) or were so athletic they could get by and excell just based on their athletic ability. The fact that Jenkins has regressed….still dont know if that is him allowing bad habits to creep in or scheme stuff. Johnson has improved.

Last edited by a moderator:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why is it that when I suggest this, I get blasted? I have my doubts with the WR coach, the secondary coach, and the DC. OC is also in play but I think he's gotten a little better as the year went on. Still not great, though.
Who "blasted" you for suggesting a few position coach changes?

V3

Hall of Fame
Who "blasted" you for suggesting a few position coach changes?

Maybe blasted is a little harsh but any time I've suggested issues with said coaches, it's always been shot down and was told they weren't the problem. I probably should have used "shot down". Fixed

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nah. Just a proponent of shaking things up a little. I still have faith in most of the players, the OC, and Head Coach.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Maybe blasted is a little harsh but any time I've suggested issues with said coaches, it's always been shot down and was told they wasn't an issue with them. I probably should have used "shot down".
Which coaches do you have an issue with?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Not the first to point out the glaring deficiency in our players' techniques. Our team is extremely young I know,,, but I remember Fish telling us prior to the season that we will be seeing BIG improvement from our 2nd year players. I believe he said that the biggest improvement in young NFL players is seen in their 2nd year.

If that's true,,, we have some players to be highly disappointed in.

The position coaches have to be at least partially responsible for the lack of improvement if you ask me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not the first to point out the glaring deficiency in our players' techniques. Our team is extremely young I know,,, but I remember Fish telling us prior to the season that we will be seeing BIG improvement from our 2nd year players. I believe he said that the biggest improvement in young NFL players is seen in their 2nd year.

If that's true,,, we have some players to be highly disappointed in.

The position coaches have to be at least partially responsible for the lack of improvement if you ask me.

Yep. That IS what he said. And I think we all bought into that as it makes sense. We see it all the time. I've said it many times that I just don't buy that our players are this unable to "get it". So then where does it lead?

I've heard many people talk about coaches that can coach and coaches that can teach. To me, our biggest need with such a young team is coaches that can teach. We need our coordinators and position coaches to teach these young guys how to play NFL football. You can't tell me JJ, TA, and others don't have the talent. Well you could but I'm not buying it. Why does TA not know how to run a fade? Why is JJ out of position and more so than last year? Why is our entire secondary seemingly out of position? Is BQ such a slow study or is the person responsible for transitioning him from Appalachian State's "no playbook offense" to our playbook incapable of doing so?

You see these guys play hard. You see these guys flash the talent that got them here. I don't think that's the problem. I really think they are not being properly shown how to play SMART.

Maybe it's as simple as needing a few more pieces. But my problem is that EVERYONE in the backfield and ALL our receivers are getting beat. Obviously not getting beat on every play but way too much for a good team. Generally, there will be a weak link on a unit that you play around or compensate for. But on defense, for example, there is NO ONE that a QB won't throw at. On offense, there is NO ONE making consistent plays. We can't take any of a team's weapons away on defense, and we can't demand a double team by anyone on offense. That is a huge problem.

A55VA6

Legend
They really do need to look at the position coaches at this point.. I know Sherman is a good coach... but we might need to look elsewhere.

And I HATE what Walton is doing on defense. Blake Williams did a fantastic job compared to him. I believe Jenkins and Tru have improved this year, they are just put in bad positions constantly.

Fisher wants to build a team and staff and grow together, but I think changes are needed if the Rams want to even think about the playoffs next year.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Can you teach catching the ball! Or putting in the effort to block for the other guy with the ball? DB's don't seem to be taught not to peek, play the man! Frustrating to watch!

nighttrain

Legend
The ones I listed in my original post. Primarily the WR, secondary, and DC.
would have thot Walton would have had a better handle with secondary, but it's not nearly as good as last season
train

... Why does TA not know how to run a fade? ....

My deflector shield goes up anytime folks want to bash Mountaineers which is why I opened this thread but I gotta admit if memory serves me anytime we ran a fade it was to Stedman not Tavon. Who'da thunk it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My deflector shield goes up anytime folks want to bash Mountaineers which is why I opened this thread but I gotta admit if memory serves me anytime we ran a fade it was to Stedman not Tavon. Who'da thunk it.
While you would certainly know better than I how the two were used at WV, I am not knocking either receiver. I fully believe TA can learn virtually any technique. He doesn't strike me as unintelligent. Sometimes you just don't know what you haven't been taught.

As I said before, I really want to look at some more tape on last week's game. I thought I saw a lot of timing issues between the receivers and KC. Some of these drops MAY be attributable to timing - not sure.

As to blocking, even on the long TD from TA on the reverse, it appeared to me that Givens missed his initial assignment and made up for it in a big way. But it also looked like he totally miss timed the initial block.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
While you would certainly know better than I how the two were used at WV, I am not knocking either receiver. I fully believe TA can learn virtually any technique. He doesn't strike me as unintelligent. Sometimes you just don't know what you haven't been taught.

As I said before, I really want to look at some more tape on last week's game. I thought I saw a lot of timing issues between the receivers and KC. Some of these drops MAY be attributable to timing - not sure.

As to blocking, even on the long TD from TA on the reverse, it appeared to me that Givens missed his initial assignment and made up for it in a big way. But it also looked like he totally miss timed the initial block.

Ya know I get a little tired of TA prancing across the field over routine first down catches ,he's a project to me at this time and I'll continue to revert to my fallback position on him, cap not a factor IF someone would give me the 8th pick in next years draft for him,I'd take it.
Hoping I'm wrong, but that'a where I am on the kid