David Shaw Visited Rams Today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who invited him to visit? That's the key...

I thought Chip did well as a coach, with Andy Reid's players. Harbaugh & Pete Carroll are the college coaches that I think of that made the leap. Pac-12 baby!
And how can we forget the Bobby Petrino era in Atlanta?
Oh... right....
Never mind

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just read that. I fear he may be in over his head for a couple of seasons but you never know.
I really hate the idea of going thru another complete rebuilding period!
Just a thought, Maybe we could make Williams our new HC, Move Wakkle to DC and Hire Norv Turner as OC!!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Didn't know we had a coach wakkle.........

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think Fisher might be a fantastic front office hire.

Maybe Fisher, Demoff and Mr Burns discussed this outcome and they decided not to waste any time in starting the courtship to land David Shaw??

Everyone who wants to see Fisher get canned should consider the possibility that he gets a promotion instead.

So they Frank Burns him and promote incompetence?

If that means a new HC and Fish stays out of the way, okay...

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So they Frank Burns him and promote incompetence?

Incompetence ?
I think you're letting the Rams lack of success in the W/L column cloud up your outlook.

Fisher has long been very respected in this league for many of his qualities. Winning seasons are not one of them, but he is very liked and respected by his players, assistants, front office people, etc. He immediately rebuilt he Rams scouting department and turned around our roster into one that has some excellent players. Brockers, Janoris, Ogletree, Donald, Gurley and Goff are good picks Imo.
If a foundation for good offensive coaching had been present, I think Austin, Grob and Quick would all be held in much better esteem, but that's just my opinion.
JF inspires loyalty, knows everybody, can bullshit with the best of 'em, knows California, knows the logistics of running a day to day operation and seems to have a good program for keeping "risky" players out of trouble.

I'd say he is solid Team President material.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think several guys here are having a wishful thinking attack...JMHO, as always...

rdw

Pro Bowler
We'll get cracking on that. Right after we get through auditioning a new mod. She has good moves but her computer skills are sorely lacking.

200w.gif

She needs to work on taking snaps from under center.. I'll grab my pads.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Incompetence ?
I think you're letting the Rams lack of success in the W/L column cloud up your outlook.

Fisher has long been very respected in this league for many of his qualities. Winning seasons are not one of them, but he is very liked and respected by his players, assistants, front office people, etc. He immediately rebuilt he Rams scouting department and turned around our roster into one that has some excellent players. Brockers, Janoris, Ogletree, Donald, Gurley and Goff are good picks Imo.
If a foundation for good offensive coaching had been present, I think Austin, Grob and Quick would all be held in much better esteem, but that's just my opinion.
JF inspires loyalty, knows everybody, can bullcrap with the best of 'em, knows California, knows the logistics of running a day to day operation and seems to have a good program for keeping "risky" players out of trouble.

So, if he's ultimately a solid Team President type, then fine.

But he's been a middling to a lousy coach.

And EVERY positive thing to say about Fisher...comes outside of the coaching aspect. "He's rebuilt the team"... isn't what a HC does. "He's drafted well"... isn't want a HC does. "He's revamped the scouting department"... isn't what a HC does, etc.

So, if they want to promote him to Team President because he does Team President type things well...then fine.

But, please, it insults the intelligence for them to blow all this sunshine about what a great COACH he is.

By every single empirical metric, he's not. And I'm nauseated from reading all the accounts of how he's such a player's coach. Pretty sure player's number one concern is winning. Word is the players aren't super thrilled with Kyle Shanahan, but the Falcons are going to the playoffs. It may be an honor to play in the NFL, but it's also a job. As someone who generally defends players over coaches, ownership and the NFL, I still job number one is winning...not having a coach that the player's "like"....while the team with plenty of talent NEVER even gets to .500.

jmho, ymmv.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Incompetence ?

JF inspires loyalty, knows everybody, can bullcrap with the best of 'em, knows California, knows the logistics of running a day to day operation and seems to have a good program for keeping "risky" players out of trouble.

:shades: Hi, Jeff.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
IMO, this is more than just a coincidence that Shaw "visited" the Rams. A successful college head coach who's been approached by some nfl teams before, has been a qb/wr coach in the nfl, knows both Goff and Mannion from Pac 12 games, worked with Harbaugh since 2006 as a passing game coordinator and was oc at Stanford, his teams have produced some good lineman and TE currently in the nfl; this guy makes over 4 mil at Stanford now so he's not taking a pay cut to be an oc. Of course no one surely knows what he can do in the nfl, but he's been pretty successful in his coaching stops along the way-------his teams really can run the ball with a power system.......think his record as a head coach is something like 67 - 12, and he's here to watch practice, just rub shoulders, or "pal around" with Fisher, the coach with the most losses, I don't think so. May be a "feeling out", gauging his level of interest, or just the first of more candidates, there's something in the works. Fisher may move upstairs, but imho he won't be head coach next year.

Just my two cents....oh, let's face it, there's never going to be 100% agreement on any coach of the Rams until he actually "proves" himself on the field.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, if he's ultimately a solid Team President type, then fine.

But he's been a middling to a lousy coach.

And EVERY positive thing to say about Fisher...comes outside of the coaching aspect. "He's rebuilt the team"... isn't what a HC does. "He's drafted well"... isn't want a HC does. "He's revamped the scouting department"... isn't what a HC does, etc.

So, if they want to promote him to Team President because he does Team President type things well...then fine.

But, please, it insults the intelligence for them to blow all this sunshine about what a great COACH he is.

By every single empirical metric, he's not. And I'm nauseated from reading all the accounts of how he's such a player's coach. Pretty sure player's number one concern is winning. Word is the players aren't super thrilled with Kyle Shanahan, but the Falcons are going to the playoffs. It may be an honor to play in the NFL, but it's also a job. As someone who generally defends players over coaches, ownership and the NFL, I still job number one is winning...not having a coach that the player's "like"....while the team with plenty of talent NEVER even gets to .500.

jmho, ymmv.
Totally with you here
The more credit he gets for improving the roster, drafting, culture etc, the more it emphasizes how bad he is as a coach.
So that's the paradox here. He cant get credit for both
I guess I have higher standards for what a team president should be.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If Fisher stays involved as president or whatever, do we get to keep Williams?

If Shaw becomes our coach, does he bring in Greg Roman?

Because all of that sounds great.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:shades: Hi, Jeff.

(I actually am Jeff Fisher. Shhh..... don't tell. I can't stick around and talk... your moms are here and they all want mustache rides...) :shades:

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Totally with you here
The more credit he gets for improving the roster, drafting, culture etc, the more it emphasizes how bad he is as a coach.
So that's the paradox here. He cant get credit for both
I guess I have higher standards for what a team president should be.

Dude.. that's the thing... I HAVE NOT given him credit as a HC.
I've said multiple times that he hasn't been good enough.
I just don't love to hate him.

I'm just not going to act like he is terrible at everything.

This "Us or Them" "love him or hate him" bullshit is getting out of hand.
The guy has been a disappointment.
But some of you are going to be upset with any outcome that doesn't go your way.
When Fisher is fired, has his mustache shaved against his will by Michael J. Fox and is forced to walk down Sunset Blvd with only fishnet stockings and red lipstick on while everyone points and says "SHAME"... I'm sure that it will solve all the Rams problems..

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude.. that's the thing... I HAVE NOT given him credit as a HC.
I've said multiple times that he hasn't been good enough.
I just don't love to hate him.

I'm just not going to act like he is terrible at everything.

This "Us or Them" "love him or hate him" bullcrap is getting out of hand.
The guy has been a disappointment.
But some of you are going to be upset with any outcome that doesn't go your way.
When Fisher is fired, has his mustache shaved against his will by Michael J. Fox and is forced to walk down Sunset Blvd with only fishnet stockings and red lipstick on while everyone points and says "SHAME"... I'm sure that it will solve all the Rams problems..
Put words in mouths much?
First off, Fisher won't be fired, his contract will expire. IMO he has failed as a HC and doesn't deserve a new contract.
He's done some good things sure. But being elevated to team President using failure as HC on his resume doesn't pass muster with me. Why didn't Linehan or Spagnolo get front office jobs?
Fisher seems like a good guy, a guy who would be fun to hang out and have a beer with. But I don't want him near my football team.