Dave Te Thomas on Donald...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
He said Donald is the best player in the draft and he would take him #1 overall, that's how good he is.

According to Thomas Donald is much better than Geno Atkins. He's unblockable at any level.

Sounds like we've got a monster DL.

I was listening to the Football Guys podcast and I believe it was Matt Waldman who said when the Rams drafted Donald, it's all over for Russell Wilson and Kaepernick, and Ariens will be looking for another job.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He said Donald is the best player in the draft and he would take him #1 overall, that's how good he is.

According to Thomas Donald is much better than Geno Atkins. He's unblockable at any level.

I was listening to the Football Guys podcast and I believe it was Matt Waldman who said when the Rams drafted Donald, it's all over for Russell Wilson and Kaepernick, and Ariens will be looking for another job.

Haha! That's awesome!

I don't know if Donald lights it up day 1. DT's usually don't. But I love the potential of this guy - and with the guys around him - holy cow!

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

When we picked Donald, I jokingly said in the chat room on draft day that the remaining NFC teams were madly reshuffling their boards to include backup QB's. Seems I wasn't alone in that line of thinking. :)

But seriously, there is a point to be made with the sack potential that now exists on out line. Running QB's like Wilson and Kapernick and statues like Palmer are now more likely to face increased physical attention in games against the Rams. I know they tend to run their backs a lot, particularly Seattle, but anything more than a 3 step drop will have their supporters holding their breath and praying.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is from a chat with Thomas going on right now on the Packers Report...

Comment From max
How good will the Rams DL be now with the addition of Donald?

Dave-Te' Thomas:
I would have "Ditka-ed" the draft & traded a ton of picks to move up for Donald
7:21

Dave-Te' Thomas:
Even I will be wearing Rams colors next year! Aaron Donald is the next John Randle
7:20

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
So many times dt drafted highly are being asked to come in and resurrect and carry the defensive line. Not the case here. This is the perfect situation for a high motor like Donald to just come in and do his thing without feelling like he has to carry the whole defense on his shoullders. Not saying he won't have a learning curve because he will, but he will also see a lot of initial success.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm just wondering how many sacks they can get. Can they break the sack record even in the NFC West?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

if donald can get the penetration we all think he can then the sack total will skyrocket. alot of the qbs escaped the rush by stepping into the pocket or throwing it to a wr who had the dbs playing 10 yards off. if there is no pocket to step into and the dbs are playing press, where are they gonna go?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I can't disagree too strongly with him. I had Donald as one of my top 5 rated players in this draft. Think we're getting a La'Roi Glover/Geno Atkins/John Randle type talent.

And know this, if Donald were 6'4" 305(Suh's size), I think he'd have gone in the top 2 picks and been a more hyped prospect than Suh. He's a ridiculous talent that only is lacking in height. True game changer.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
What many fail to realize is that both Sea and especially AZ have OLines that can't handle the Ram DL when healthy. SF actually competes. But with Donald in the mix. I'm thinking 85Bears kind of disruption. AD will have a learning curve, but by week 7, teams will be devising schemes that avoid Donald's upfield rush and Quinn and Long's outside squeeze. Good luck trying to run over Brockers. Throw in an occasional Ogletree or Mo Alexander blitz and I would feel sorry for Kaeperdick and Overratedwilson if it wasn't for the fact ESPN has made them out as better than average quarterbacks. Bring the Heat! Oh my, imagine these guys playing with a lead! 60+ sacks would be, get this... Probable...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Donald should scare the ever living daylights out of any offense on our schedule. We now have legit pass rushers at all 4 starting positions on the DL. I can see Donald getting 7+ sacks in his rookie year. 18 for Quinny, 6 for Brock and another 12 for the forgotten Long. Thats 43 from our starting DL. Leaving "only" 20 for the LBs, secondary and rotational DL (Sam??) to pick up for the sack record. Do it. Do it.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Going to be a fun camp with Him and Brock going against Saffold and Robinson.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Going to be a fun camp with Him and Brock going against Saffold and Robinson.

If there's any player that will challenge Robinson and force him to improve his punch timing, placement and hand use...it'll be Aaron Donald. That'll be a fun match-up to watch!

jjab360

Legend
I can't disagree too strongly with him. I had Donald as one of my top 5 rated players in this draft. Think we're getting a La'Roi Glover/Geno Atkins/John Randle type talent.

And know this, if Donald were 6'4" 305(Suh's size), I think he'd have gone in the top 2 picks and been a more hyped prospect than Suh. He's a ridiculous talent that only is lacking in height. True game changer.
The crazy thing is that even though those 3 inches would have given him the hype, you could argue that a huge part of what makes him special is the added leverage and ability to get under taller linemen's pads by being shorter than them. The 3 inches would have changed people's perception of him, but I don't think it would've made him a better player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The crazy thing is that even though those 3 inches would have given him the hype, you could argue that a huge part of what makes him special is the added leverage and ability to get under taller linemen's pads by being shorter than them. The 3 inches would have changed people's perception of him, but I don't think it would've made him a better player.

Possibly not. The additional length and weight would help but his low center of gravity, natural leverage, and exceptional balance definitely are strong parts of his skill-set. But that's more or less the point I'm making. If he were prototypically sized, he would not have lasted past the top 5-6 picks...much less to pick #13.

We are very lucky...Robert Quinn lucky...to get him.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones

Is there a link to that? I'd like to hear it.

SierraRam

Recreational User
What many fail to realize is that both Sea and especially AZ have OLines that can't handle the Ram DL when healthy. SF actually competes. But with Donald in the mix. I'm thinking 85Bears kind of disruption. AD will have a learning curve, but by week 7, teams will be devising schemes that avoid Donald's upfield rush and Quinn and Long's outside squeeze. Good luck trying to run over Brockers. Throw in an occasional Ogletree or Mo Alexander blitz and I would feel sorry for Kaeperdick and Overratedwilson if it wasn't for the fact ESPN has made them out as better than average quarterbacks. Bring the Heat! Oh my, imagine these guys playing with a lead! 60+ sacks would be, get this... Probable...

60 is more like the expectation than "probable" - Carolina got 60 last year and they suck

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Haha! That's awesome!

I don't know if Donald lights it up day 1. DT's usually don't. But I love the potential of this guy - and with the guys around him - holy cow!

IDK, man, it's not like they can give him special attention...