DARTA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
2014 "DARTA": A Good Sign For The St. Louis Rams In 2015?
By Frank "Dubs" Dobozy
usa-today-8441984.0.jpg

One single statistic from the 2014 season may be the best indicator of a winning season ahead for the 2015 St. Louis Rams.

For the Rams' 2014 NFL regular season, I kept track of five key statistical measures and how they correlated to/affected the outcome of each game. Although these statistics were quite revealing and informative, something seemed to be missing from the statistical equation in explaining the Rams' 6-10 record. "DARTA" attempts to fill in some of the blanks.

Of the five statistics I tracked this past season, two were the most telling: Turnover Differential and the Score At Half-Time. In the last two seasons, the Rams have not won a game unless they were leading or tied at half-time. Turnovers played a critical role in the teams' fortunes in 2014. The Rams had a record of 3-0 in games with a positive turnover differential, and an 0-6 record in games with a negative turnover differential. The Rams had a zero turnover differential in seven games, and won three of them. In the four games the Rams didn't turn over the ball, their record was 4-0.

"DARTA" (my terminology) takes a deeper look into turnovers and special teams play. The term stands for "Defensive And Return Touchdowns Allowed". It accounts for the number of points a team allows on safeties, fumble returns, interception returns, blocked kicks, and kickoff/punt returns.

In 2014, the Rams gave up TEN touchdowns/70 points (by far the most in the NFL) in this statistical measure. 8 were defensive TD's resulting from fumbles and interceptions, 1 resulted from a blocked punt, and the 10th was a 99-yard kickoff return by Kansas City's Knile Davis. In contrast, Miami, Seattle, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Kansas City all gave up 2 points or less in this statistical measure last season.

Was there a correlation between DARTA and the Rams' win/loss record in 2014? The Rams were 0-8 in games where they gave up a DARTA, and 6-2 in games where they didn't give up a DARTA. It's much harder to win a game when you're spotting the opponent 7 easy points.

How could such poor results in DARTA last season possibly bode well for the Rams in the upcoming season?

A Top-Five Defense
The Rams gave up 354 points (22.1 ppg.) in the 2014 regular season. That put them in a tie for 16th in the NFL, an average result for the Rams defensively (at least on the surface). In reality, the Rams' defense was much better than the rankings suggest. Total points allowed can be deceiving when determining the quality of a teams' defense, especially if that team has an extremely high total of DARTA in a particular season. In the Rams' case, the defense gave up only 284 points (17.8 ppg.) in 2014, putting them in the top half-dozen teams in the league in points allowed (when adjusted for DARTA). The Rams' defense simply wasn't on the field when the other 70 points were scored.

Five reasons the Rams' defense should be even better in 2015:

1. Chris Long should be healthy and not miss a substantial part of the season.
  2. Mark Barron will be with the Rams for the entire season.
  3. The Rams didn't lose a single starter from 2014 during the offseason.
  4. The team added two quality, experienced players (Akeem Ayers and Nick Fairley) in Free Agency. Both should have a positive impact on the defense.
  5. The unit now has an entire season under its collective belt in a Gregg Williams-led defense.
Changes In Personnel/Offensive Philosophy
The Rams played their last 25 regular season games with backup quarterbacks as starters. In 2014, Austin Davis and Shaun Hill combined for 20 turnovers (16 interceptions and 4 lost fumbles).

The Rams acquired a starter-quality QB in the offseason (Nick Foles). Foles will not be asked to win games through the air, as the Rams are moving towards more of a run-based, ball control offense. The Rams' 2015 NFL Draft picks made that clear, with the selection of 4 run-blocking OL and RB Todd Gurley with the 10th overall pick.

The addition of Foles - plus Jeff Fisher's desire to keep the ball on the ground - should result in fewer turnovers by the offense (and by extension fewer DARTA). The Rams' running backs were responsible for only 4 lost fumbles last season.

Statistical Observations
The likelihood of the Rams repeating their dismal 2014 results in DARTA this coming season isn't very high, if for no other reason than regression towards the mean.

From Grantland's Bill Barnwell:

"Because 16 games just aren’t enough to learn much about a team, we can usually safely say that teams that exhibit some extreme characteristic or have some event occur a freakishly high (or low) amount of the time will not have that same experience over the next 16 games. That’s simple regression toward the mean."

Given the Rams' recent history, their 2014 DARTA results would appear to be an outlier. The Rams' DARTA for the 4 seasons prior to 2014: 5 in 2013, 3 in 2012, 4 in 2011, and 3 in 2010. Expect the Rams to significantly reduce their DARTA totals in 2015.

This coming season, the Rams will field their most talented team in the Snead/Fisher era. With a significant reduction in the number of turnovers and DARTA, the Rams should produce a winning record and vie for a playoff berth.

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-29_14-53-17.gif
    37 bytes · Views: 173

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I buy into this a lot and I think its why a lot of people have high hopes for this team. Also committing to a ball control running offensive philosophy should also help improve the defense. How many games did we blow because of an Austin pick six. 2 or 3?

Also the defense should not get off to the slow start it did last year.

Pretty excited about this year! Season cant start soon enough!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I buy into this a lot and I think its why a lot of people have high hopes for this team. Also committing to a ball control running offensive philosophy should also help improve the defense. How many games did we blow because of an Austin pick six. 2 or 3?

Also the defense should not get off to the slow start it did last year.

Pretty excited about this year! Season cant start soon enough!

Yep this certainly gives us another reason to be excited about the rams playoff chances this year. They beat thereselves several games last year. That wont happen this year.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
excellent analysis.

but he doesnt give us mean DARTA? and I wonder what our w-l record would have been last yr had we stayed within the mean?

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
excellent analysis.

but he doesnt give us mean DARTA? and I wonder what our w-l record would have been last yr had we stayed within the mean?

2014 there were 1189 offensive TDs and 829 FGs scored, assuming every team went for one and was successful that amounts to 8323+2487=10,810 points, there were 11,565 total points scored.
11,565-10,810=755 DARTA.
755/32=23.6 DARTA per team.
22.3/16=1.47 DARTA per team per game.

As for W-L record? That's pretty impossible to say, but looking at games with a offensive or special teams TD:
Vikings, wouldn't have made a difference.
Cowboys, normal time tie.
Eagles, one fumble, one blocked punt, remove either and we win
49ers MNF, no difference
Chiefs, kickoff return TD, no difference
@ Cardinals x2, no difference
Chargers, would have won
@ Seahawks, no difference

So assuming you turn the ball over in the right game you're looking at 8, maybe 9 wins depending on overtime vs Cowboys.

Last edited:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
wow, mean is approx 24 and we were @ 70 last season. my goodness, just that alone means we should be much more competitive this yr. really, all Foles has to do is protect the ball, and we do well.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
In contrast, Miami, Seattle, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Kansas City all gave up 2 points or less in this statistical measure last season.

No idea where he got this from, as a counter example "The Mountaineer"

I get total points-(7*defensive TDs allowed)-(3*FGs allowed) as:
Rams 69
Redskins 50
Jaguars 46
Falcons 37
Colts 37
Panthers 35
Raiders 34
Giants 33
Saints 30
Jets 29
Bengals 28
49ers 28
Eagles 26
Packers 26
Titans 24
Cowboys 24
Buccaneers 22
Bears 21
Broncos 19
Bills 17
Vikings 16
Patriots 16
Seahawks 16
Dolphins 15
Chargers 12
Texans 12
Lions 11
Cardinals 7
Steelers 5
Browns 5
Chiefs 3
Ravens 2

Ram65

Legend
I'm not totally buying in with the DARTA logic. “Defensive And Return Touchdowns Allowed”.

One main reason is that a team that plays from behind a lot or lost momentum on offense will have an increase chance of turnovers. The increase in turnovers leads to more turnover TD returns. What about the Rams/teams getting some DARTA? Doesn't that have to factor in the equation as well.

Timing and turnovers have to have a big effect as well. A good team can overcome a RTA (see Chargers Vs. Rams) especially earlier in the game. It's a nice indicator of poor team play but, is it the cause of the losses or the effect of poor play by a bad team? Yes, there is hope for the 2015 Rams with a new QB and improving defense but, I don't need the DARTA logic to tell me that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2014 there were 1189 offensive TDs and 829 FGs scored, assuming every team went for one and was successful that amounts to 8323+2487=10,810 points, there were 11,565 total points scored.
11,565-10,810=755 DARTA.
755/32=23.6 DARTA per team.
22.3/16=1.47 DARTA per team per game.

As for W-L record? That's pretty impossible to say, but looking at games with a offensive or special teams TD:
Vikings, wouldn't have made a difference.
Cowboys, normal time tie.
Eagles, one fumble, one blocked punt, remove either and we win
49ers MNF, no difference
Chiefs, kickoff return TD, no difference
@ Cardinals x2, no difference
Chargers, would have won
@ Seahawks, no difference

So assuming you turn the ball over in the right game you're looking at 8, maybe 9 wins depending on overtime vs Cowboys.

We also won Vs Seahawks with a punt return TD and a fake punt.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm not so sure its that cut and dried. Too many variables in winning and losing. You can be playing pretty well but a couple mistakes can cost the game. Your CB(Yeah, I'm looking at you Jenkins) can bite on a pump fake right before the half, get burned for an 80 yarder and you lose valuable momentum.

We seemed to find new and exciting ways to lose games. A dumb mistake on 3rd down extends an opponents drive and ends up with points for them. An unnecessary penalty stalls our drives or costs points. I remember there was a time when you could pencil in a false start if we had first and goal at the 5. Might was well kick the FG at that point.

Stop making critical mistakes and execute. That will win games.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
excellent analysis.

I believe the record with defensive returns against was 0-8....when we didn't allow any returns for points it was 6-2.....

What about the Rams/teams getting some DARTA? Doesn't that have to factor in the equation as well.
I think what you're talking about is when our defense returns a TD, or our ST returns a TD...Correct?
It would skew the stat but it still is relevant, IMO, since we gave up more return points as an offense....Probably gave up some returns on ST also ( I think I remember 1 or 2)...I have some thoughts on these returns, not even for points but just the large changes in field position. I think that effects games as well...ST is bigger than ever before, hence the UDFA is a bigger part of the game than ever b4...

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
PCDS (Points Contributed by Defence and Special teams):
Eagles 77
Steelers 48
Texans 44
Packers 41
Vikings 37
Rams 35
Patriots 34
Cardinals 34
Bills 31
Dolphins 28
Broncos 25
Chargers 23
Cowboys 21
Ravens 21
Seahawks 21
Falcons 21
Panthers 21
49ers 21
Browns 21
Jaguars 21
Buccaneers 21
Chiefs 19
Bears 17
Lions 15
Titans 15
Bengals 14
Raiders 14
Colts 11
Giants 7
Saints 1
Jets 0
Redskins 0

Note sum(PCDS) does not equal sum(DARTA) due to the Jets and Redskins having a negative score (I assume the missed a PAT).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Can't wait to see Fairley and Donald at the same time. We better be able to contain the outside.

Ram65

Legend
I think what you're talking about is when our defense returns a TD, or our ST returns a TD...Correct?
It would skew the stat but it still is relevant, IMO, since we gave up more return points as an offense....Probably gave up some returns on ST also ( I think I remember 1 or 2)...I have some thoughts on these returns, not even for points but just the large changes in field position. I think that effects games as well...ST is bigger than ever before, hence the UDFA is a bigger part of the game than ever b4...

Yes the Rams RTS - Returns TDs Scored as opposed to RTA Returns TDs Allowed. The obvious one was JJ's pick six against Rivers and the Chargers. Down below quoting RagRam the Rams did score 35 points on defensive and ST returns. The JJ return didn't hurt the Chargers as much as the late Hill Int inside the 5 yard line. So there are many factors effecting outcomes of games as stated before. As you stated long returns on turnovers also have to be a big factor.

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/videos/videos/Cant-Miss-Play-Jenkins-Goes-the-Distance/2ba3d022-4c6b-4f98-a4c5-8fe1acafa26f

PCDS (Points Contributed by Defence and Special teams):
Eagles 77
Steelers 48
Texans 44
Packers 41
Vikings 37
Rams 35
Patriots 34
Cardinals 34
Bills 31
Dolphins 28
Broncos 25
Chargers 23

…..

Legend
Regardless of how much belief you put into DARTA, it was still an excellent read for this time of year.

The 70 points- eye opening!

Best point made in the article to me was giving our defense top 6 billing when removing the DARTA, and the fact that we lose no starters while adding two experienced veterans.

Also like that the author gives credit to Mark Barron. I've seen some who minimize his impact but to me he was the last piece of the puzzle that makes our defense complete. I dont think a pro bowl nod is out of the question for him, especially if the Legion takes a step back in Seattle.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not totally buying in with the DARTA logic. “Defensive And Return Touchdowns Allowed”.

One main reason is that a team that plays from behind a lot or lost momentum on offense will have an increase chance of turnovers. The increase in turnovers leads to more turnover TD returns. What about the Rams/teams getting some DARTA? Doesn't that have to factor in the equation as well.

Timing and turnovers have to have a big effect as well. A good team can overcome a RTA (see Chargers Vs. Rams) especially earlier in the game. It's a nice indicator of poor team play but, is it the cause of the losses or the effect of poor play by a bad team? Yes, there is hope for the 2015 Rams with a new QB and improving defense but, I don't need the DARTA logic to tell me that.

It's both. Although, "bad team" is not what I'd call an accurate label.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I disagree here. IF Davis doesn't throw the pick-six, or the fumble the ball, we're still down 17-14, a chance to come back.

Hell it's all hypothetical, maybe the OL would figure out a way to block for more than half a second. Miracles some times happen.