Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Defensive End

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Defensive End
gettyimages-90100183.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/29/creating-the-all-time-rams-roster-defensive-end/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 5 hours ago

In this new series, we will break down our All-Time Rams roster position-by-position. We last covered the offensive line, and now it’s time to move on to the defensive ends. We’ll have two starters and three backups for this position.

Related:

Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Offensive Line

Starter: Deacon Jones
gettyimages-1351164.jpg

There is not much to say about Deacon Jones, as the man is probably the greatest Ram of all time. His accolades are as impressive as pretty much anyone out there. He’s pulled in eight Pro-Bowl appearances, been named first-team All-Pro five times and second-team All-Pro three times. His number (75) is retired by the franchise for good reason.

Jones unofficially has 159.5 sacks in 151 games, tallied up by 101 Sports. He made it on our Rams Mount Rushmore, so he is obviously going to start on the all-time Rams roster.

Starter: Jack Youngblood
gettyimages-593070.jpg

Speaking of the Rams Mount Rushmore, we unfortunately had to leave Youngblood off it. That, however, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be starting on our all-time Rams roster.

Some call Youngblood Mr. Ram, which is understandable. He played his entire 14-year career wearing the iconic horns. The Hall of Famer racked up multiple awards, and like Jones, he also had his number (85) retired. He was a seven-time Pro-Bowler and was named first-team All-Pro five times, plus three second-team All-Pro honors.

Youngblood had a total of 151.5 sacks in 188 games he started. That’s simply an incredible feat and placing him next to Jones equals out to a whopping grand total of 311 sacks between the two. That’s unbelievable to think about.

Backup: Lamar Lundy
A member of the legendary Fearsome Foursome, Lundy played all of his 13 seasons with the Rams. The crazy 6-foot-7 end was even used as a tight end for a small portion of his career. He was an integral part of the Rams pass rush and was a good run stuffer as well.

Lundy led all of the Fearsome Foursome in sacks during the 1960 season. He was a Pro-Bowl selection and even was given the honor of First-Team All-Pro.

Backup: Andy Robustelli
The Hall of Famer provides one of the ultimate underdog stories in sports. He came out of Arnold College. Never heard of it? Don’t worry, neither had I. Robustelli as a 19th-round draft pick by the Rams was considered a long shot to even play, but he didn’t just earn playing time, he did far more than that. Robustelli proved everyone who doubted him wrong.

He became a two-time Pro-Bowler and was named a two-time first and second team All-Pro as well. He even won an NFL Championship with the Rams. Unfortunately, the Rams traded him away.

Still, regardless of the time he spent with the Rams, there is no doubt Robustelli would make their all-time roster.

Backup: Robert Quinn
gettyimages-153403947.jpg

Too much praise already for Robert Quinn you say? Bear with me. Quinn is a physical specimen. The Rams stole him in the draft due to the fact that he had to sit out his whole junior season because of an NCAA rules violation.

Quinn has since proven that he is one of the best pure pass rushers in the league. Recently, he has dealt with a back issue which has hindered his ability to dominate as we’ve seen in the past, but there’s plenty of reason to believe that he’ll be back stronger than ever.

The UNC product has accumulated 176 tackles, 50 sacks, 16 forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries with one touchdown. Quinn is a dynamic player and his accolades show it. He has been named to the first-team All-Pro roster once and has made the Pro Bowl twice.

Honorable Mention
Kevin Carter
gettyimages-72354321.jpg

The sixth overall pick in the 1995 NFL draft was a force that helped lead the Rams to a Super Bowl victory. Carter was invited to the Pro Bowl twice and also received All-Pro honors the year he was the league leader in sacks.

Unfortunately, like the aforementioned Robustelli, Carter was traded. He was ironically traded to the Tennessee Titans, who was the team he helped beat in the Super Bowl.

The next player on the list, another Rams great, was the reason for the departure of Carter.

Leonard Little
gettyimages-51707691.jpg

Leonard Little was next in line after the Rams traded away Carter. Little had quite the career with the Rams. All 12 seasons he played were with the Rams, and he totaled 344 tackles, 87.5 sacks and two interceptions. He even ended up receiving Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors in 2003.

Little had a rough time with some unfortunate trouble off the field, but he should still be considered a great Ram. His high-motor play and his crazy quickness and speed made him one of the most feared pass rushers in the league.

Fred Dryer
Dryer started his career with the Giants until they traded him to the Patriots. He refused to play for them (crazy to consider now, right?), forcing a trade to the Rams. When he came to the Rams, the future All-Pro and Pro-Bowler would backup the Hall of Fame defensive end Youngblood. Dryer would soon after start alongside of Youngblood, and they both unofficially finished with 14 sacks to co-lead the league.

Dryer is an absolute fan favorite and is well known setting an interesting record, by recording two safeties in one game.

Related:

Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Quarterback

Please guys if you enjoyed this, share it via the Rams Wire site!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The only problem I have with this Starters/Back-Up List is a technical one!! Both Deacon Jones and Jack Youngblood (With-Out-A-Doubt Our two best) Played LDE! So IF you want a starting line up At the DE position, this is the way I would stack them!!
* LDE - Deacon Jones - Jack Youngblood
* RDE - Leonard Little - Robert Quinn

Honorable mention, in Ranking order
* Lamar Lundy
* Fred Dryer
* Chris Long
* Grant Wistrom ( NOT MENTIONED BY THE WRITER!)
* Kevin Carter
* Andy Robustelli

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I would place Chris Long before Wistrom on a honorable mention list, Dave. But there were so many guys so close to the same good-not-great level.

I like your list Jake! You've got all the right guys. I would bump Dryer up ahead of Carter and Little. But you make great cases.

Keep up the great work! I am enjoying your series.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would place Chris Long before Wistrom on a honorable mention list, Dave. But there were so many guys so close to the same good-not-great level.

I like your list Jake! You've got all the right guys. I would bump Dryer up ahead of Carter and Little. But you make great cases.

Fixed it, just for you Roman!!:D Actually, I have to admit, I stupidly forgot Chris!!:mrburnsevil:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
All due respect for the old time Ram DE's, but I'm gonna make a bold prediction.

If Quinn can stay healthy, he will ultimately be considered behind only Deacon Jones and Jack Youngblood on the Rams all time list.

He excels against both the run and the pass, and I doubt that anyone is better at creating (and recovering) strip fumbles.

I think he's that good. And playing alongside his fellow current front four teammates and under the direction of GW certainly won't hurt his chances, either.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only problem I have with this Starters/Back-Up List is a technical one!! Both Deacon Jones and Jack Youngblood (With-Out-A-Doubt Our two best) Played LDE! So IF you want a starting line up At the DE position, this is the way I would stack them!!
* LDE - Deacon Jones - Jack Youngblood
* RDE - Leonard Little - Robert Quinn

Honorable mention, in Ranking order
* Lamar Lundy
* Fred Dryer
* Chris Long
* Grant Wistrom ( NOT MENTIONED BY THE WRITER!)
* Kevin Carter
* Andy Robustelli
I just think I would rather have Deacon Jones and Youngblood on the same line. I love Little but I would rather get the best of the best on there

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

Thanks man I appreciate that! I love Long but when I was looking back at the production, Long doesn't do it for me. Little and Carter were much more disruptive imo

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
All due respect for the old time Ram DE's, but I'm gonna make a bold prediction.

If Quinn can stay healthy, he will ultimately be considered behind only Deacon Jones and Jack Youngblood on the Rams all time list.

He excels against both the run and the pass, and I doubt that anyone is better at creating (and recovering) strip fumbles.

I think he's that good. And playing alongside his fellow current front four teammates and under the direction of GW certainly won't hurt his chances, either.
Completely agree! I think everyone is going to forget Quinn and he is going to be back better than ever this year.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I would concur, Ram fans have been spoiled at defensive end that is for sure and I'm hoping for the next dozen years or so we as fans will be spoiled at Quarterback too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
whew, tough list...Little, Long, and Winstrom.... man, I'd have to leave them off too...Dryer...Deacon...Lundy....and, the greatest of all time.... Youngblood....

oh yeah, @jakebogen95 meet @DaveFan'51 ....you two are similar souls from different eras.....

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
whew, tough list...Little, Long, and Winstrom.... man, I'd have to leave them off too...Dryer...Deacon...Lundy....and, the greatest of all time.... Youngblood....

oh yeah, @jakebogen95 meet @DaveFan'51 ....you two are similar souls from different eras.....
I am noticing that fast hahaha

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I love this pic, and Deacon looks fantastic in that suit. I have a version of this pic on my computer that isn't watermarked.

football-where-are-they-now-portrait-of-former-nfl-players-los-rams-picture-id97669980

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I love this pic, and Deacon looks fantastic in that suit. I have a version of this pic on my computer that isn't watermarked.

football-where-are-they-now-portrait-of-former-nfl-players-los-rams-picture-id97669980
If I'm not mistaken, someone, Photo shopped this photo and stuck in the Heads of Brockers-Donald-Long and Quinn, last year or maybe the Year before last!:D It was Funny!:LOL:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Okay, I like the paid homage to the old timers. But let's be real. Robert Quinn playing in the 1970s would get 30-40 sacks a year. Not saying Deacon and Youngblood weren't amazing. But if I'm compiling a list of best ever, a guy who played 50 years ago won't be rated higher then a modern NFL player. They're physical attributes are just that much better nowadays.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Robert Quinn playing in the 1970s would get 30-40 sacks a year.

If you stuck him in a time machine and sent him back, maybe. If he grew up in the 1950s and 60s like those players did, without legendary defensive players and coaches blazing a trail before him, without the 21st century medical and training benefits, maybe not.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Okay, I like the paid homage to the old timers. But let's be real. Robert Quinn playing in the 1970s would get 30-40 sacks a year. Not saying Deacon and Youngblood weren't amazing. But if I'm compiling a list of best ever, a guy who played 50 years ago won't be rated higher then a modern NFL player. They're physical attributes are just that much better nowadays.
Yeah I don't think thats fair to say. The older players are disrespected because stats weren't a stat for years after their time and neither were tackles. I don't know during my time doing this series I have done a lot of research and really feel more love for the older players.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The older players and the younger players are each products of their environments.

As such, they rightfully excelled against their respective peers.

And yet...

This will sound like heresy to some, I know, but I'm gonna say it anyway because I believe it's true.

Ahem...

If both were in their prime, today's modern Aaron Donald would mop the floor against Merlin Olsen in a camp competition. It's an evolution thing.

There, I said it. And this is coming from a huge Merlin Olsen fan. Loved both the player and the person.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
The older players and the younger players are each products of their environments.

As such, they rightfully excelled against their respective peers.

And yet...

This will sound like heresy to some, I know, but I'm gonna say it anyway because I believe it's true.

Ahem...

If both were in their prime, today's modern Aaron Donald would mop the floor against Merlin Olsen in a camp competition. It's an evolution thing.

There, I said it. And this is coming from a huge Merlin Olsen fan. Loved both the player and the person.
fair point with technology today and the way sports medicine and training has progressed over 50 years its just not fair...