Cowboys Dodged A Bullet When Jerry Jones Tried And Failed To Trade Up For Paxton Lynch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Cowboys Dodged A Bullet When Jerry Jones Tried And Failed To Trade Up For Paxton Lynch
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ried-and-failed-to-trade-up-for-paxton-lynch/

The Broncos have named Trevor Siemian their starting quarterback, and that’s a major indictment of Paxton Lynch: A year after Denver chose Lynch in the first round of the NFL draft, he’s failed to beat out a former seventh-rounder who was already on the roster. Obviously, if the Broncos had known at the time that Lynch was no better than Siemian, they never would have drafted Lynch.

Which serves as a good reminder of just how lucky the Cowboys got during the 2016 NFL draft, when Jerry Jones badly wanted Lynch in Dallas.

Jones said after the first round of the 2016 draft ended that he had been working hard to move up and get Lynch, but before he could get a deal done, the Broncos moved up to the 26th overall pick and took Lynch themselves. Jones even acknowledged that he was willing to overpay to acquire Lynch, and said his son Stephen Jones had to prevent him from selling the farm to get Lynch.

As it turned out, of course, the Cowboys took Dak Prescott in the fourth round of the draft. Prescott stepped in for the injured Tony Romo last year, led the Cowboys to the best record in the NFC and won the rookie of the year award.

So as Prescott heads into his second season as the established franchise quarterback, and Lynch heads into his second season as Siemian’s backup, the Cowboys can thank their lucky stars that Jones wasn’t able to draft the quarterback he really wanted.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whaaaaaat? I'm sorry I am not buying JJ didn't have the whole Prescott, Paxton
situation planned out lonnng before the draft.Jerry was just being super smart and
misdirecting the entire NFL.
And you suckers fell for it.HAHH!
CHUMPS!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep, they did. But Lynch was considered a project. Maybe he's a bust. Maybe he needs time to grow.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Lynch was a consensus first rounder. He started out as a top fifteen projection, but as pre draft evaluations got going Lynch dropped a bit because teams realised he would take time to develop. He has some nice tools. Tools that cannot be taught but some guys mental processing just isn't as quick as others.

Jones did dodge a bullet though. I agree with that because he has a win now team whose QB was on the way out due to injuries. Trading the farm to land Lynch would have set them back.

I think people underestimate Semien. He is a smart guy. Northwestern grad, heady player. He just doesn't have elite physical traits, like a big arm and height like Lynch.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Lynch was always going to take a couple of years to develop. He was acknowledged as being very raw when he was drafted so Siemian beating him in this QB comp shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. If he fails to win the job this time next year then that's the time for people to question the pick.

I've never understood the desperation for 1st round QBs to start (and succeed) immediately. Patience has always been a virtue but even more so now that the college game resembles the NFL less than ever before.