Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
4/3/2020
1,039,166 confirmed
55,092 dead

95% survival rate

They actually have statistics on cases that are fully recovered.

Again, not saying the numbers (especially from foreign governments) are trustworthy.

There was a school of thought (which I agreed with) that the more people we tested, the mortality rate would go down. So far, that trend hasn’t begun.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
What gets me is that with zero football, soccer, basketball, tennis, etc, this seems to be the new sports

Watching the bodycount scoreboard

It’s sick as fuck. Pardon the pun

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
4/3/2020
1,039,166 confirmed
55,092 dead

95% survival rate

The survival rate is actually higher, when you consider all the people that caught it and never even knew it. In the end if we are able to get everyone tested for the antibodies I would not be surprised if the fatality rate is 0.5% or less. I would be surprised if it was 1% which is about where it is here in America just based on positive tests.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The survival rate is actually higher, when you consider all the people that caught it and never even knew it. In the end if we are able to get everyone tested for the antibodies I would not be surprised if the fatality rate is 0.5% or less. I would be surprised if it was 1% which is about where it is here in America just based on positive tests.

US Numbers

258,214 confirmed
6,605 dead

2.5% mortality rate (so far)

note that more than 1,100 of those deaths came in the last day or so.

I'm not trying to morbid - but there seems to be an "its not really that bad" vibe going around the US.

Its that bad. People who have a confirmed case but aren't dead may still die.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
97.5% survival rate, and most likely going up, since deaths relative to new cases are roughly .3% and dropping.

I don't see a "it's not really that bad" vibe anywhere. I see an "it is what it is, and we're dealing with it as best we can" vibe out there.

I also see some of us dwelling on the more negative aspects of the situation, and I also see some of us exhibiting as much optimism as is possible given the circumstances.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
When I was driving to Austin a couple of weeks ago the drive from SB to LA was remarkably fast. I had never seen so little cars on the freeways. People in So Cal are taking this shit seriously for the most part. And you can see that it is paying dividends right now. All the stereotypes about how LA is health-conscience and "green" is what is keeping this area from spinning out of control.

Let's look at the LA scoreboard.
As of today:

4045 confirmed cases
78 deaths

This is in a county of 10.16 million people.

We need testing - massive testing to get through this. but taking social distancing seriously is how we are gonna beat this shit

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
97.5% survival rate, and most likely going up, since deaths relative to new cases are roughly .3% and dropping.

I don't see a "it's not really that bad" vibe anywhere. I see an "it is what it is, and we're dealing with it as best we can" vibe out there.

I also see some of us dwelling on the more negative aspects of the situation, and I also see some of us exhibiting as much optimism as is possible given the circumstances.
Yes and what is important here is the mortality rate in the US where we know the variables.

Right now this thing is trending more at that rough 2% range than the sub 1% range I was hoping for. So yeah its potency right now looks a lot like the Spanish Flu, maybe even worse tbh, because our medical tech is far better now.

Still a ways to go though, and expect more fluctuations. But I don't know anyone who isn't taking it seriously. (y)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

here in australia we have 5,358 cases and 28 deaths. that's a 0.5% death rate.

and most of those dead have come off cruise ships.

whatever they're doing they seem to be getting it right. early days still.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

here in australia we have 5,358 cases and 28 deaths. that's a 0.5% death rate.

and most of those dead have come off cruise ships.

whatever they're doing they seem to be getting it right. early days still.

fosters - the anti-corona

139807-600x600-A.jpg

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
i don't think anyone in australia has drank one of those for at least 30 years. you may as well be drinking cat piss. i think they export it to unsuspecting countries that don't know better.

Totally.
I remember drinking the oil can in High School.
It's funny cause Budweiser is the same way. Here we all know it's shit (sorry St Louis locals) but overseas that stuff is what people associate with "America"

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
US Numbers

258,214 confirmed
6,605 dead

2.5% mortality rate (so far)

note that more than 1,100 of those deaths came in the last day or so.

I'm not trying to morbid - but there seems to be an "its not really that bad" vibe going around the US.

Its that bad. People who have a confirmed case but aren't dead may still die.

Never said its not that bad, its very bad. But the truth is its not as deadly as the media has made it out to be. When the majority of those that contract coronavirus show no symptoms and most never even suspected they were ill, that proves it isnt the return of the plague. It is scary though that 1 can spread the virus without ever knowing they had it. Which is the reason for the shut down and social distancing. For all I know I have contracted and recovered from the virus, as I have been working my regular schedule and interact with anywhere from half a dozen to 2 dozen customers every shift. With everyone locked down at home, I now enter homes that have the entire family there instead of just 1 adult. I have been washing my hands before and after every job I do and try to keep a safe distance from customers, although some dont get it and want to watch over my shoulder and talk to me while I work. I must admit I dont know how people are able to stay home 7 days a week, I applaud those that are doing so. California has done a very good job of keeping the virus somewhat under control and then there is NY where the state government was telling people there was very little risk right up until they were overwhelmed with cases.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally.
I remember drinking the oil can in High School.
It's funny cause Budweiser is the same way. Here we all know it's shit (sorry St Louis locals) but overseas that stuff is what people associate with "America"

haha, i remember the first time i went to the usa on my honeymoon. i ordered a bud to see what it tastes like and boy was it shit. i couldn't even finish half of it. next beer i ordered was miller draft and i found heaven for my mouth. i still buy it here in australia.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Nailed it. Way too much negativity in here. Its just some people's nature. I don't think there is a person left on the planet that isn't taking this situation seriously. If they are, then fucke'em dead. At the same time, I prefer not to wallow in mortality rates and such. Life is too short right? I mean, if we're all doomed, whats the point in lamenting about it. Go take a walk..... Responsibly of course. Six feet people!!!

fearsomefour

Legend
Speculating on a valid mortality rate is pointless.
Many that have it don't even know or show symptoms. They still have it.
Common sense would say it has been here for months and this is likely the second go round for the virus, or the end of the first.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Bill Gates is spending billions to produce 7 potential coronavirus vaccines
The billionaire told The Daily Show the move will waste billions of dollars, but will save precious time.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Without universal testing we won’t be getting out of this anytime soon

I don't think we need universal testing for infections to test for the antibodies linked in your post. If anything positive tests for antibodies in a person would obviate the need for them to be tested for presence of the infection, and those people are, by definition, a dead end for the virus.

I own a small business. I’m completely absorbed by the economic impact Of this. I just don’t understand how your proposals could help. I know it’s circular by now, we have been round and round

Fair enough, and I hope your small business somehow makes it.

You're right we'll go round and round, so I'll conclude my argument with you with an analogy of what I think is happening. We are on a ship at sea right now, there is a fire near the bow and there is flooding in the engine room back aft with the ship taking on a lot of water and starting to list. And we are ignoring the flooding and focusing only on the fire, instead of dividing our efforts to combat both. Taken individually, either the fire or the flooding is capable of taking down the ship, yet we are focusing on one thing, the fire, at the expense of the other, the flooding, and we are going to lose the ship.

Agree to disagree if you must, but that sums up my argument.

Good luck with your business, hope you land on your feet.

Damn right I did, I'm someone who believes we should learn from what happens not bury our head in the sand and act like there's nothing to be done. I'd rather not just watch the shadow puppets.

Well, I'm glad you've basically confirmed that you basically don't give a shit about those who lose their jobs and livelihoods in the economic calamity we are creating by our all or nothing approach. You can go up to people who lose their jobs and tell them "well, it just shows that our economy wasn't very good in the first place ... tsk tsk." Do that with a family member or someone close to you when they lose their job. Let's see how it goes over. It would be like me walking up to someone infected with the virus and saying "well, you should have taken better care of your immune system, dummy! You're sick, tough luck!"

But I do give you credit for your honesty. At least you admit you don't care about the economic fallout and the ruined lives that will occur if we continue down our current path.

Bill Gates is spending billions to produce 7 potential coronavirus vaccines
The billionaire told The Daily Show the move will waste billions of dollars, but will save precious time.

Well, if anyone would know about viruses, it would be the maker of multiple versions of the dogshit Windows operating system

Speculating on a valid mortality rate is pointless.
Many that have it don't even know or show symptoms. They still have it.
Common sense would say it has been here for months and this is likely the second go round for the virus, or the end of the first.

Thank you. And bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.