Could The 3 Top Ot's Go With The Top 6 Picks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have been under the strong impression that the Three top QB's will be off the 2014 draft boards in the top five 2014 selections. Three teams Houston/Jax & Cleveland have great needs for QB's whereas most mock drafts show this... where these QB's are drafted in the top five.

This just fits in well with my desires to see the NFL world fighting to trade up to get the next great franchised QB at a great price going into the Rams coffers in extra draft picks. I might just be disappointed again.

In 2013 draft the QB's dropped & then dropped again & again fell even further. At the same time it was also a bit of a surprise to see what the rest of the NFL thinks about Offensive Tackles. In 2013 draft Three OT's went off the boards in the first four picks Chiefs-Jags & Eagles two of these top 2012 losing teams went to the playoffs in 2013.

It it possible again that many mocks are overestimating the alleged talent @ QB & we may see again where the Three top OT's Matthews- Robinson- Lewan are off the boards in the first SIX (Houston- StLouis- Jax- Oakland- Atlanta) selections to these teams OT needy teams ? Any random thoughts like this elsewhere?

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Can't quite see it happening. Clowney is almost certain to go in the top six, so that means three of the other five have to be tackles. Given the number of QB-needy teams at the top if the draft, and the paucity of quality QBs in free agency, I can't see all three OTs going that quickly.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can't quite see it happening. Clowney is almost certain to go in the top six, so that means three of the other five have to be tackles. Given the number of QB-needy teams at the top if the draft, and the paucity of quality QBs in free agency, I can't see all three OTs going that quickly.

So the below looks highly unlikely Flipper_336 ?
1-Hou/DE-Clowney
2-STL/OT-Matthews
3-Jax/OT-Robinson
4-Cle/QB-
5-Oak/WR-Watkins
6-ATL/OT-Lewan

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So the below looks highly unlikely Flipper?
1-Hou/DE-Clowney
2-STL/OT-Matthews
3-Jax/OT-Robinson
4-Cle/QB-
5-Oak/WR-Watkins
6-ATL/OT-Lewan

Don't you think Jax is almost certain to go QB?

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
1-Hou/DE-Clowney
2-STL/OT-Matthews
3-Jax/OT-Robinson
4-Cle/QB-
5-Oak/WR-Watkins
6-ATL/OT-Lewan
Not saying it's impossible, but unlikely. I think we trade down from two and a QB/Clowney is taken there. I also think that the Jags go QB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't you think Jax is almost certain to go QB?

I was sure hoping to see that the Jags would go QB but they are still minus a starting OLT even after drafting ORT Luke Joeckel last season. The Jag OL is bad real bad. Oakland had big issues @ OT last season too & their best OT is a UFA.

Guess your question back to me is yes but are we overestimating QB value again like last year ....their need vs the value of a OLT Greg Robinson vs a QB Johnny Manziel ?

We watched four OT's go off the boards early in the first 11 picks five overall & four interior OL'ers go in the first round.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just heard Mayock's evaluation of the top three. He said all three showed great, Matthews was excellent you know what you are getting and he is as advertised, Robinson raw especially in pass pro but can learn it highest ceiling, Lewan had maybe the best day of anyone. All 3 could go in top 10 picks.

iced

1-Hou/DE-Clowney
2-STL/OT-Matthews
3-Jax/OT-Robinson
4-Cle/QB-
5-Oak/WR-Watkins
6-ATL/OT-Lewan

oh yea, that's extremely unlikely.

1- QB
2- Tradedown/ QB/DE
3-6 - 1 or 2 QBs, one or 2 OT, Clowney if he doesn't go 2

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
oh yea, that's extremely unlikely.

1- QB
2- Tradedown/ QB/DE
3-6 - 1 or 2 QBs, one or 2 OT, Clowney if he doesn't go 2

So iced you are saying its possible that one of the top two OT's either Robinson or Mathews will drop out of the top six? which one? the Bucs would be very happy at seeing a Robinson there @ #7.

duckhunter

Starter
Lewan was top ten talent last year. Unfortunately Lewan has had multiple on and off the field indiscretions that probably knocks him out of the top ten. Otherwise, he'd be in the hunt for top LT. I've watched him a lot over the past two years. He's dominant. Doesn't miss an assignment. Has more and better on the field pass pro tape than Robinson but doesn't get out against LBs and Ss quite as well.

The 3 QBs, 2OTs, 2DEs, 1CB, 2WRs in the top ten.

Although I'm big on the trade down possibilities, I'd think the Rams did well just staying put and coming away with Clowney and Lewan in the 1st. CB Fuller in the 2nd and FS Reynolds in the 3rd.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

iced

So iced you are saying its possible that one of the top two OT's either Robinson or Mathews will drop out of the top six? which one? the Bucs would be very happy at seeing a Robinson there @ #7.

Teddy Bridgewater
Blake Bortles
Manziel

I Expect those 3 to go somewhere in Houston, Jax, Cleveland or Oakland -

I also don't see Jax, Cleveland, or Oakland going Tackle... I mean not just because they're qb needy, but Cleveland has Joe Thomas, Oakland has Veldmeer, and Jax just spent last year's #1 pick on a Tackle.. So to me you're pigeon holing a tackle to those teams to where they don't fit.

With those 3 QB's, you gotta factor in Clowney going somewhere next... I'm not going to say we're going OT because I think we'll end up trading down and I pray we get Watkins but I think the top 4 players that's gonna be on their board are clowney, watkins, and 2 of the tackles (this is if barring no trade down)... I wouldn't be shocked at all to see us draft Clowney when I think about Fisher and his pass rushers.

But yea, I'm getting off track.

I don't think Oakland, Cleveland, houston, and Jax are teams that can afford to pass on a QB prospect - and if they do, they're not teams that are going after tackle help and other big needs (pass rusher/ MLB ).

So to your answer your question, I see the possibility of maybe 1 Tackle in the top 6... but Atlanta has needs at pass rusher too, so they may pass there... I also wouldn't rule out receiver if they decide to cut ties with Roddy White

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'd be kind of surprised to not see Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel and Clowney all go in the Top 6. So that only leaves 2 spots right there.

1 spot if you count that Watkins will also likely go in the top 6. Hopefully to us.

duckhunter

Starter
It's debatable but highly probable that 6 of the first ten teams selecting in the draft are not considered solid at QB within their own organization.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd be kind of surprised to not see Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel and Clowney all go in the Top 6. So that only leaves 2 spots right there.

1 spot if you count that Watkins will also likely go in the top 6. Hopefully to us.

So if things go the way you have stated above then Atlanta sitting there @ #6 would have the first pick of the top OT. Basically going a different direction from the 2013 draft with the top OT's.

iced

That beat writer for the Texans, Mccain I think, was saying there was no way they're going anything but QB. He believes that no question it's gonna be a QB for new HC there... take what you will, but i agree

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
So if things go the way you have stated above then Atlanta sitting there @ #6 would have the first pick of the top OT. Basically going a different direction from the 2013 draft with the top OT's.
Unlikely, I admit... but in your scenario, the top 5 must include at least two offensive tackles. I'd say for sure Bridgewater and Clowney would take up two more of the spots. Meaning Atlanta has all but one of Bortles, Manziel, Lewan, and Watkins to choose from. That seems unlikely too.

iced

Unlikely, I admit... but in your scenario, the top 5 must include at least two offensive tackles. I'd say for sure Bridgewater and Clowney would take up two more of the spots. Meaning Atlanta has all but one of Bortles, Manziel, Lewan, and Watkins to choose from. That seems unlikely too.

And Atlanta is severely hurting on defense, especially at pass rush and on the line... i think this might be where Barr goes or Khalil Mack

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
And Atlanta is severely hurting on defense, especially at pass rush and on the line... i think this might be where Barr goes or Khalil Mack

I agree with the Atlanta situation of big need @ the DE post Pass Rusher! They will also suffer UFA losses too. I just feel strongly that if the Texans do go QB as most all think then DE/OSLB'er Jadeveon Clowney is there for whomever wants to trade to get him! Barr may be a reach @ #6 to be a 43 DE pass rusher Mack is the best LB'er period but none are pure 43 DE's like Jadeveon. Atlanta can also used a Gerald Robinson in that OL too Ryan took a big beating in 2013.

Atlanta & StLouis have trust respect with each other in the top offices. Atlanta must come up with @ least 1000 draft value pts in a trade from #6 to #2. That would include a 1st rounder in 2015 and a second in 2014. I would hope that this situation would develop if the Browns will not offer up the 800 plus point value to trade up from #4 to #2.