Chargers are cleaning house today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
#AsExpected: Chargers cut Flowers, save $7M
4733.jpg

Chargers released CB Brandon Flowers.

Flowers' $9-million salary was set to become guaranteed on Saturday, so it was only a matter of time before he was cut. The move saves the Chargers $7 million against the cap. Flowers ended last season on injured reserve with a concussion and has a concerning history of brain injuries. The 31-year-old may decide to call it a career.
Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
Mar 7 - 11:47 AM

Chargers release Stevie Johnson, save $3.5M
4962.jpg

Chargers released WR Stevie Johnson.

The move saves $3.5 million in cash and against the cap. It is not a surprising development considering Johnson missed all of 2016 recovering from meniscus surgery after playing just 10 games his first year with the Chargers. Going on 31 (in July), Johnson may struggle to land guaranteed money on the open market.
Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter
Mar 7 - 11:25 AM

Chargers cut 2013 first-rounder D.J. Fluker
8332.jpg

Chargers released RG D.J. Fluker.

The Chargers picked up Fluker's fifth-year option last April, but they clearly do not still think he is worth the $8.821 million he was owed in 2017. Fluker now heads into a surprisingly strong guard market, although it is possible teams give him a look at right tackle, which is where he began his career. This could just be the first cut as the Chargers look to remake their offensive line. (Again.)
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 7 - 10:36 AM

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Those are all good cuts, to include Fluker who wasn't worth what they were going to pay him.

That said, I think the Chargers are beginning a big slide. I think this season will be a catastrophe all around, and they'll be loading a new staff and rebuilding come 2019. Lynn was a positional coach the beginning of last season, he's very green and probably in over his head. They're gonna need a QB here real soon. The roster has a lot of holes and age. Spanos is going to be trying to double charge fans in that shoebox of a stadium to get the income he needs and it's gonna be ugly.

IMO they're in for some rough road ahead.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
So much for loading up and trying to get Rivers over the hump before he calls it a career.

Psycho_X

Legend
I don't know, he was a turnstile for the Chargers last year at guard. But I don't know much about his situation there or how he was perceived. I thought he was kind of their version of Greg Robinson... first round pick to play tackle but sucked and got stuck at guard and still kinda sucked. He's got the measurements though... maybe a bad fit in Chargers system? Idk.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
No thanks seems like a guy the pats would try and pick up. Affordable, young, and worth the project for your their oline coach Scarneccia (sp?)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So much for loading up and trying to get Rivers over the hump before he calls it a career.

No doubt. Also, he was quoted as hating the idea of a team move, what with his 15 children or whatever and family entrenched in San Diego. Can't imagine he's gonna be happy this season lol. My bet is he retires after this season.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
No thanks seems like a guy the pats would try and pick up. Affordable, young, and worth the project for your their oline coach Scarneccia (sp?)
Doubt the Pats go after him, their MO is more to grab aging vets with a season or 2 left in their tank desperate to make a Super Bowl run. Someone (Vikings? Seahawks? Broncos?) will offer Fluker decent $$ and a starting gig.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
No doubt. Also, he was quoted as hating the idea of a team move, what with his 15 children or whatever and family entrenched in San Diego. Can't imagine he's gonna be happy this season lol. My bet is he retires after this season.
His career makes me sad. Dude has been a top-5 NFL QB for basically the past eleven years, had weapons like Gates and Tomlinson in their primes, but has never managed to win it all. He's the QB version of Larry Fitzgerald. And he's hard not to like, like Fitzgerald.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
His career makes me sad. Dude has been a top-5 NFL QB for basically the past eleven years, had weapons like Gates and Tomlinson in their primes, but has never managed to win it all. He's the QB version of Larry Fitzgerald. And he's hard not to like, like Fitzgerald.

My shoulder will feel a lot better when Rivers retires, it hurts everytime I see him throw the ball. He has the most funky delivery I have ever seen, but it works for him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Paving the way for Darnold staying in LA

Yeah winning next year's #1 overall pick is going to be great timing for someone. Hopefully not the Chargers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DJ is a monster of a man. He appeared to be the perfect mauler RT. Problem (& this was discussed here several years ago) that RT's today need to be much more LT like in so many ways. First I saw any member here dive into this was @jrry32.

This was the during our discussions on Joe Barksdale worth & the problems that Joe Barksdale has continued to have with those left side 34 OSLB edge rushers. DJ lost his RT gig when the Chargers signed Barksdale then moved DJ into OG & the Chargers thought the problem was solved there. Here we are 2 yrs later & we see this former number #1 near top 10 draft selection being released.

Sounds very close to what the majority of members here have suggested to do with GRob o_O......anyway as we have seen the last two seasons DJ's play @ RG is no better than his play @ RT.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what a buddy of mine who is a Chargers fan said, D.J. has the physical talent but lacks the football IQ. He struggles processing things and often blows assignments.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Y'all should be all over this.
NAH......That's like jumping on Chance Warmack too....Or Jonathon Cooper....Those ships have sailed...Unless they're cheap.
I always thought Fluker moved like his feet were stuck in cement.

IMO they're in for some rough road ahead.
Probably tanking....But that coach...He has something....I can't tell what yet...But I see some fire...
His career makes me sad. Dude has been a top-5 NFL QB for basically the past eleven years, had weapons like Gates and Tomlinson in their primes, but has never managed to win it all.
Fools went 14-2....AND FIRED THEIR COACH. They deserve everything they are getting. Marty Schotty is rolling around laughing...So are the Mannings...saying eye-tole-ewe-sew