Chad Reuter claims the Rams wanted Nix

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Best chance to win it all this year was taking a DE, our biggest need, and a great one dropped to us. We can thank all the other teams that reached for QBs for that one.

Does ANYBODY EVER LISTEN to Snead & Mcvay ?? I mean before & after The DRAFTS ?

Les Snead liked Nix & said it.He told the story about Nix & his Dad playing together at Auburn (Senior) and going undefeated.He’s followed him his WHOLE career(son). Matthew Stafford seems to have wanted guaranteed money after the draft ?? So TRUE ??? Rumors are what they are ?

Bowers is going to be a special player.Hard player to pass on.IMO Tyler Higbee is going to be back early & Davis Allen,Hunter Long, & Colb Parkinson are going to be a position of DEPTH !! So that would have been a luxury pick.

The PETER story was PURE BS & SMOKESCREEN (Oldschool).That’s IMO & what was said.Then you once again look at CAP & Position of need.

NOW why did The Rams give up so much for FISKE(everyone asks) is because The Rams had a 1st.RD. Grade on him.Mcvay & Snead said they were trading back if Verse wasn’t there & wanted Fiske later in The Draft.

The question goes what about Nix ? I’d say NO,The Rams would have traded back.Bowers vs, Verse ??

The Rams are happy with where they are I’m sure.The players in training camp are already working hard & dialed in.

Memphis Ram

Legend
“Blocking ability”? All I remember hearing during the draft process was that bowers was a move TE, blocking NOT being a strength.

I don’t know if this injury will be the final blow to a noteworthy career, but the number one reason every TE has failed to supplant Higbee is they can’t block as well as him.
I have been re-watching clips from the Rams’ 7-1 stretch run to end last season and it is obvious how vital Higbee was to the success of the running game.

Side note:
Hoecht jumps out as a guy with a nonstop motor. Oft maligned for getting caught in coverage, he plays his guts out and was integral to the defense last year. Can he be upgraded? Sure, but they won’t be able to keep him off of the field. He’s gonna get his snaps.
Blocking wasn't a strength compared to his other abilities, but he's a good blocker. And yes, both Bowers and Higbee wouldn't be used the same way as Bowers would be used all over the formation.

Higbee's blocking was much better this past season as opposed to the prior season. He must have been injured. But, have the Rams drafted a legit inline TE since he arrived? That said, IF Hunter Long could stay healthy, he could even be a better blocker. At least, he sure looked good blocking to me when given the opportunity.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
me thinks the reporters may be the only ones that fall for this crap...

and they make it up when news is "needed"....

and no one with half a brain believes it...

pre draft visits carry a lot more "reality" ... and usually they are just smokescreens...

after draft talk is just that... talk

training camp again this year, can't start soon enough for me...

go rams

slo
I’m still trying to figure out why this is a thread here.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Blocking wasn't a strength compared to his other abilities, but he's a good blocker. And yes, both Bowers and Higbee wouldn't be used the same way as Bowers would be used all over the formation.

Higbee's blocking was much better this past season as opposed to the prior season. He must have been injured. But, have the Rams drafted a legit inline TE since he arrived? That said, IF Hunter Long could stay healthy, he could even be a better blocker. At least, he sure looked good blocking to me when given the opportunity.
McVay was very happy with Long’s blocking. But signing Parkinson may be an indication that the Rams don’t want to wait around to see if he can stay on the field.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Gotta say there have been some real dipshits that were good at QB. Bradshaw for example. So trying to nail down what sort of intelligence is the type you need is something I am sure teams can write encyclopedias on. Personally I don't know that we ever have enough to judge them on that front without being a fly on the wall in the QB room or the coach getting drunk at the bar telling you the truth on the guy.

But I can judge them by how much they fidget fuck around when the pressure builds. How they misfire or lose their bowels and turn into football dispensers.

I remember way back when Martz said the QB had to be the most competitive player on the field, and thinking to myself that was a bit of a simplification. But the older I get the more I realize he was right. And beyond that I think it's about courage as well, plain and simple. And since I've prioritized that in my QB looks it feels like a better way to project these guys. Or maybe I'm just a mean old fart and like a simpler evaluation process. :laugh4:
Bradshaw could play in the 70’s. He couldn’t play today. He’s not smart enough imo. He wasn’t even great back then.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradshaw could play in the 70’s. He couldn’t play today. He’s not smart enough imo. He wasn’t even great back then.
I just saw part of a Terry Bradshaw special on the NFL network and he is a good guy. Great family man and showed a lot of class after his football career ended.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I just saw part of a Terry Bradshaw special on the NFL network and he is a good guy. Great family man and showed a lot of class after his football career ended.
He’s been married four times due to cheating on his wives. I find him to be very entertaining on TV, but I know one of his ex-wives and she doesn't consider him to be a good family man.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He’s been married four times due to cheating on his wives. I find him to be very entertaining on TV, but I know one of his ex-wives and she doesn't consider him to be a good family man.
Well, I only saw part of the show. Didn't know about any of this.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought it was funny that in college Bradshaw was the back up QB to the guy from Duck Dynasty
1715012321578.jpeg

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

I am looking forward to seeing Allen in his second year. From the time I started checking out his collegiate profile to his play down the stretch last year, I have generally been excited about his play.
I would like to see Allen overtake Long and become a reliable blocker. I have already seen how impressive his receiving skills are.

As for Long, he hasn’t logged much significant playing time…ever. Kinda hard to have any expectations for him.
…but the Rams are gonna. E without Higbee for a stretch, so both Long and Allen are gonna get their shot.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay was very happy with Long’s blocking. But signing Parkinson may be an indication that the Rams don’t want to wait around to see if he can stay on the field.
Is Long still on the roster?
Parkinson and Allen will make a fine pair while Higs is on the PUP list
If Long is still on the team, I would doubt he makes the final 53, would make sense on the PS though

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
That’s a tough one. He did call his own plays and when I’ve seen him interviewed on different shows, he doesn’t seem all that dumb to me.

Seeing him on Fox? WTF? Is he on meds or playing a part?
I do remember hearing howie long saying Bradshaw was smarter than people realized during an interview once, but that was a long time ago.

Still, different eras. I know this, they were tougher then. They had to be. That was as important as a good arm. So it is as hard to tell which QBs now could play then as well.

I know this, I don’t know how brady would have fared with those rules and teams like the raiders and steelers around. Putting up that many titles would have been quite the gauntlet to run.

Different eras.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
That’s a tough one. He did call his own plays and when I’ve seen him interviewed on different shows, he doesn’t seem all that dumb to me.

I do remember hearing howie long saying Bradshaw was smarter than people realized during an interview once, but that was a long time ago.

Still, different eras. I know this, they were tougher then. They had to be. That was as important as a good arm. So it is as hard to tell which QBs now could play then as well.

I know this, I don’t know how brady would have fared with those rules and teams like the raiders and steelers around. Putting up that many titles would have been quite the gauntlet to run.

Different eras.
That is why he is not the goat. there is no goat. Rules and eras are to different to compare. I am not even figuring in the fact that at least the 1st 7 seasons the play callers knew what the D was calling.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Different eras.
It was a different era. Offenses were much less complex. Suck the defense in by running it down their throats and then hit a long pass downfield. It was nothing like today.

But yes you are right about the toughness part.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
It was a different era. Offenses were much less complex. Suck the defense in by running it down their throats and then hit a long pass downfield. It was nothing like today.

But yes you are right about the toughness part.
Don’t know why play calls are so complex today. Military used phonetics for a reason. To be honest not a fan of the McVay playbook he needs to simplify his calls.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Higbee had to be either extended or released for salary cap purposes. And Higbee isn't a talent like Brock Bowers who is MUCH closer to the talented Jordan Reed that McVay had in Washington. Even better given his YAC and blocking ability, IMO.

In the end, there's a slim chance that McVay would use a 1st round selection on Bowers (much less trade up for him) and then not feature him in the offense.
I am just glad we drafted Defense first to fill the huge void Donald left. It will take time for this D to gel, and with a lot of green guys it may take awhile.