Case Keenum won't just hand over starting job to Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Do you know this from personally seeing them practice? because I am done listening to all of these reporters, I knew LA would bring a lot of attention and new reporters but lately I don't know what to believe. Everyone says he's not ready and its June, I think come week 1 he starts unless he really does look as bad as they make it seem. Too much investment into this guy for him to sit the bench .

No I don't. All opinion, and I truly hope I'm wrong, but I'm just gunshy and don't want to ruin the guy, who is going to bee really really special.
I do agree with @Athos - you learn by doing, so bottom line is I really have no idea what I'm saying.
However, I trust Fisher, so if he does start, he'll be ready, (and vice versa).
Going to be a long couple of months.

A55VA6

Legend
Competition at QB can only be a good thing for us. Goff will eventually start, but if he's not ready - best thing to do is let Keenum start and Goff sit. Could benefit us in the long run.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't care how "ready" Goff appears, I want Keenum starting game one against the Whiners. 1st game of the season away Against the 9'es on national TV's Monday night Football. If Goff starts any and every little mistake will be magnified and picked apart. Rams will be vilified and all the talking heads will go on and on how the Rams made such a big mistake trading all those draft picks, blah, blah, blah..... Rams and Goff already have enough on their plate with the relocation and trade up, they don't need more distraction for the players. Start Goff a game or two later when he won't be so much under the national spotlight. Sitting on the bench for a couple of games to start the season won't hurt him. Starting him on nationl TV the first game of the season and then screwing it up might.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
But the thing is, he won't be doing much meaningful learning if Case starts, will he? Case will get all reps if he is the starter Week One,while our #1 rookie watches doing mental reps, which to me can't take the place of learning by doing..jmo
I hear what you are saying but I want the best team on the field at all times. If that means Keenum starts because Goff isn't ready, so be it. Keenum has been in the offense for years and knows it better than Goff will, I don't see how there can be any argument about that. Unless Goff can prove himself to the coaching staff he still just has potential and I'm not willing to give up another season so he can develop his potential, I want a winner.

If Fisher and the coaching staff think Goff can get it done, then we'll all get to see him earn his chops and hope it doesn't deter what the rest of the team can do. I don't want to waste years of some of our current studs waiting for development.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
No I don't. All opinion, and I truly hope I'm wrong, but I'm just gunshy and don't want to ruin the guy, who is going to bee really really special.
I do agree with @Athos - you learn by doing, so bottom line is I really have no idea what I'm saying.
However, I trust Fisher, so if he does start, he'll be ready, (and vice versa).
Going to be a long couple of months.

Ya I agree I want what's best for this guy but I don't know how much sitting behind Keenum will help him, its not like the Rodgers Favre idea because Favre is an all time great, I jut want to know how bad he really is playing? these reporters are making him look horrible and I hope its not true. He is going against a top defense in practice and I think that will slow him down but also help him in the future.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
There’s a potential benefit to sitting and waiting. Each year at the front of the career that the quarterback doesn’t play could become another year on the back end where he can.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hear what you are saying but I want the best team on the field at all times. If that means Keenum starts because Goff isn't ready, so be it. Keenum has been in the offense for years and knows it better than Goff will, I don't see how there can be any argument about that. Unless Goff can prove himself to the coaching staff he still just has potential and I'm not willing to give up another season so he can develop his potential, I want a winner.

If Fisher and the coaching staff think Goff can get it done, then we'll all get to see him earn his chops and hope it doesn't deter what the rest of the team can do. I don't want to waste years of some of our current studs waiting for development.

I guess it's a matter of degree. Yes, Keenum is a veteran and is a capable backup. Case won more games than he lost by playing it safe and letting the defense and Todd Gurley shine. We all want the best team on the field, but the question is, will the mediocre performance/losses of Case Keenum over the course of the season, caused by his inability to perform like a true starter be less than the losses incured through learning games by rookie Jared Goff?...and are we better having Keenum or experienced Goff at the 2nd part of the season? The question may be moot anyway, if Goff shows he is ready during preseason...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The part about this process that I like best is the fact that Fisher makes earning a starting job a real competition. That's how it should be, and competition makes all players improve or fall by the wayside.

I've seen a few deserving barbs thrown towards Sam in this thread. I believe that our coaching staff really did Sam a disservice when he was brought in as a rookie and Crowned King before any real competition happened. Seems like he's really had a hard time adjusting to competition with the eagles this offseason... I think it's because this is the first time in his NFL career that he's had to truly compete for the starting job. That has really hurt Sam's development imho. He wasn't Crowned King for the 1st time... and he has had a hard time knowing how to deal with it.

Fisher knows the value of competition and he is challenging his new QB with it in a positive way. We all expect Goff to earn the starting job at some point... but the great thing about the way Fisher is doing it is really clear... Goff has to actually EARN it.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Keenum has started six games for the Rams, three of which were against the Niners, Hags and Buccs.
I think he plays at LEAST the first four games. Also his first full year of reps, and as the starter. Can't be overlooked.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
From what I've read, Goff doesn't sound like your typical rookie that might suffer from stage fright.

He sounds like one calm and cool mofo, actually.

If he's ready, he's ready. And Fisher should start him.

But if he's not quite ready, so be it. Let Keenum have the starts until Goff IS ready. Shouldn't take more than 4 games, if that.