Cap Q and Dead $ if we cut Austin "Help a Bro out"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Is it even realistic to consider cutting Austin? Just thinking if we can creative as most cash for us moving forward... Justing wondering. Thx

Zero

Pro Bowler
Is it even realistic to consider cutting Austin? Just thinking if we can creative as most cash for us moving forward... Justing wondering. Thx
I am taking the wait and see approach to Austin
as well as the rest of the team.Yes we overpaid him.
Let's see how much of this was poor coaching,scheme.
I think there will be some surprises with players outperforming
what they have in the past.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We can cut Austin after 2017. We cannot cut him before that.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Tavon is a playmaker and we are short on those kind of guys. He has been stuck playing under terrible OCs and QB play. He will flourish under a good offensive coach IMO. I still believe in him.

FRO

Legend
Tavon is a playmaker and we are short on those kind of guys. He has been stuck playing under terrible OCs and QB play. He will flourish under a good offensive coach IMO. I still believe in him.
Only way he will flourish is if he improves his route running. He isn't consistent enough to be considered a good offensive player.

Zodi

Hall of Fame

Rookie year against Indy showed me all I need to know.

Tavon is also part of the reason why I want Payton as our coach; he utilized Cooks very well.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I'm a big Austin supporter, but I admit this season was extremely disappointing for him. He needs to kick it up. And FAST if he hopes to be here long-term.

I will say that Austin is a legit play-maker, and if the offense as a whole was not sick to its core, his numbers would worlds better. Gurley didn't do anything, either. It's a systemic issue. Not an individual one.

Also, something to consider: yes Austin is overpaid right now, but if you think we are going to get any big-ticket free agents that play on the offensive side of the ball to sign here without a massive over-payment.... well... think again. The Rams are career killers, as far as offensive players are concerned. Whoever we bring in would demand to be overpaid. Getting rid of Austin right now would just be an exchange of one bad contract for another. Hopefully our offense improves under the new coach, and players will be willing to sign here for reasonable market value starting next off season.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Only way he will flourish is if he improves his route running. He isn't consistent enough to be considered a good offensive player.

This is fair. I'd like to see him spend his off season with Bruce or Holt to become a better route runner.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why the hell would we get rid of one of the playmakers from our team?? We barely have any and someone is talking about cutting him???

Is this a dream or have people gone mad?

FRO

Legend
Why the hell would we get rid of one of the playmakers from our team?? We barely have any and someone is talking about cutting him???

Is this a dream or have people gone mad?
Because he isn't consistent enough on offense to justify the 5-10 big plays he makes a year. Austin is like the baseball player that hits you 40 HRs but also bats .190, strikes out a lot, and doesn't field too well. Yes the HRs are nice, but you'd much rather have a guy that only hits 20 HRs but bats .300 and is solid in the field. His inconsistency on offense and his inability to fit in a traditional scheme hurts the offense overall.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because he isn't consistent enough on offense to justify the 5-10 big plays he makes a year. Austin is like the baseball player that hits you 40 HRs but also bats .190, strikes out a lot, and doesn't field too well. Yes the HRs are nice, but you'd much rather have a guy that only hits 20 HRs but bats .300 and is solid in the field. His inconsistency on offense and his inability to fit in a traditional scheme hurts the offense overall.

Austin barely gets the ball, when he does get it does make plays. Also if those 5-10 big plays a year wins you 5-10 games, wouldn't it prove to be worth the money.

Our whole offense was pretty much crap, so I'm going to give him a pass. I've seen what he can do and there is no way in hell I'd cut a playmaker like him.

FRO

Legend
Austin barely gets the ball, when he does get it does make plays. Also if those 5-10 big plays a year wins you 5-10 games, wouldn't it prove to be worth the money.

Our whole offense was pretty much crap, so I'm going to give him a pass. I've seen what he can do and there is no way in hell I'd cut a playmaker like him.
Austin got 86 touches this year. He averaged less than 9 YPC, that's not getting it done.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Austin's contract is front loaded.

He'll average $9MM the final 4yrs, which is getting more palatable assuming this offense takes off next year.

<- Austin fan here. But I do worry if he's got the fire and work ethic to get the most out of his game. I've got that same worry about others on this team too.

We need to get a couple of INSANELY competitive guys on this team to set the pace.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
He is one of our explosive players - I'm excited to see what a coach can do with him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
[av]http://www.moviesoundclips.net/movies1/aliens/iqs.mp3[/av]