Can't seem to shake this feeling of resignation...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I've cut back on my posting lately because nobody wants to be around a Mr Gloom and Doom. Including me.

But I wanna get this off my chest in the hopes I might feel better.

So here goes...

Mr Mediocre remains as our HC and that will continue for the rest of the '16 season.

Keenum has managed 3 wins, each by 3 and 4 point margins when accompanied by terrific D and ST play. Otherwise, he's 0-2. This condition is not likely to improve.

Our #1 overall QB has yet to take an NFL snap. This is despite the success enjoyed by several other rookie QB's around the league AND Keenum's underwhelming performance so far. Let that soak in for a minute. We gave up 6 premium picks for Goff over 2 drafts and have yet to get a single snap as a return on investment through 5 games. Gulp...

What does that say about Fisher's judgement in picking his QB? Or about his staff's ability to develop his QB? Either way, it's kinda scary.

Our "elite" RB is struggling. At least he sure looked elite LAST year. Btw, anybody notice how many of Fisher's RB's have a good 1st year than a big drop off in their 2nd year? Look it up.

Don't know about you, but I sure expected bigger things from our OL this year. It's not as if they've been devastated with injuries, either. So, what gives?

Can we please utilize our TE's in this O a bit more? Kendricks can be a weapon, especially against stacked boxes. Is Higbee in witness protection? Boggles my mind how slowly he's developing. From "mini Gronk" in preseason to MIA once the season starts? C'mon...

Britt and Quick (to my great surprise, btw) have impressed, but is anybody happy with our $42 million Tavon as an O weapon? I'm not. Saw it coming, too. Fisher continues to try to force a square peg into a round hole with Tavon. Results speak for themselves, at least so far.

Is there any other team in the league that would continue to struggle facing 8-9 man boxes? Take what the D gives you, dammit! A steady dose of quick passes until either we're up by 21 points OR their D compensates. Geez...

No complaints with our D. Just frustration with the injuries to key starters.

ST's have been outstanding. Wouldn't trade our P or PK for anybody in the league. Coverages have been good, too. Fisher did get carried away with that fake punt, though. The final back-breaker, IMO.

Here's the thing that's really got me kinda down...

I'm afraid that nothing's gonna significantly improve this year. Offensive ineptitude seems to be baked into Fisher's DNA. Which means another year with some good to great talent will have been wasted.

Hope I'm wrong. I really do. But I'm just out of faith in Fisher these days.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Excellent Post, man. You make some great points about Fisher, and Tavon and Higbee, etc. Take heart, though. I see great possibilities in beating Detroit and the Giants. Then, 5-2 will give you a better perspective.

But, man, it sure would be nice to see Goff in there, growing with this offense.

…..

Legend
Stats have shown that Todd Gurley is facing less 8 man fronts than Davonte Freeman and Zeke Elliott....

They're still trying to get Tavon involved, but as we can all see, its just not working yet. Kenny Britt is by far our most effective receiver. Both he and Tavon have 23 receptions, but Britt has his on 14 less targets while gaining 25% more yards after the catch.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Been saying the same thing a lot too. To be fair though, Fisher's only starting QB that ever played for us was Bradford. I'd like to see how he does once he has a viable starting QB.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
One has to remember, while we might feel like we are living and dying through our fanship in reality it isn't the case. And we have to struggle past our own melancholies that losses bring on as much as we have to keep things centered when they win. Yes, we've been let down many a time with hopes (and dreams....) of a much better team. But only tomorrow will tell us whether or not we have the right to those things.
Now that I got that out of the way....... Ngata will be out for a few weeks giving the Lions a hole in the middle that maybe hard to fill....
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ata-to-miss-a-few-weeks-with-shoulder-injury/
So things could be looking upward already. But truthfully speaking.... I get it....expect the worse and be pleasently surprised if you're wrong.....my philosophy exactly. Now I'm not a Gemini but I still expect the unexpected.......

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Rams43

put this in here for you bruh....and I feel your pain....obviously written so eloquently by a man much greater than me...
We can all make all the proclamations we want. We can post all the stats we want. We can continue to bemoan the delay of Goff's debut all we want. We can project and predict how much better everything will be once he's put in all we want. But what we can't do is make it happen. So how about this? How about we go ahead and pull for Keenum to do the very best he can and for the team to rally around him until such a time that he's not the QB anymore. As everyone has already pointed out, they didn't go up and draft Goff simply to have him be our future #2. Fisher and Snead have proclaimed that he's the future. They told us that, and they told him that. Keenum even knows that. It's known by everyone. Everywhere.

In the meantime, how about we relax with the confirmation bias. There's no need to keep saying Keenum is a bad QB. There's no need to tear apart every throw the guy makes in order to make the point that Goff would do it better. And there's no need to rip into his arm, his heart, his courage, his mechanics, his field vision, his pocket presence, etc., etc., etc. Everyone here knows that he's a backup QB in this league. Neither Fisher nor Snead said that Keenum is a top 10 QB or even a starting caliber QB. They only said they can win games with him. And guess what? They have. Wasn't pretty, wasn't flashy, wasn't even particularly good. Remember - he's a placeholder. He's there to keep the wheels turning until Goff meets the expectations the staff has for him to become the starter. Can't hurry that along either. Can't insult Fisher into doing it. Can't wish it into existence, and can't speak it into existence. I'm sorry if that takes away all your options, but wouldn't the world (and this board) be a better place if we just accepted the situation and rallied behind the guy who everyone seems to think is a quality, gritty, try-hard? As opposed to making him out to be the anti-Christ of the football world? Find some joy in the little things. Root for the underdog. Try to be cool. Because the alternative isn't working.

Or not. It's just a suggestion. You're all grown men and can do whatever you want, of course.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Great Post and well articulated. I feel exactly the same way you do!! Wish I could change your mind and give you hope but as I said, I dont disagree with one thing you posted.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Two things come to mind after reading the OP. First is that I cannot argue with a single thing @Rams43 states. Second is that I am kinda stunned that a thread like this has been posted when the Rams are 3-2. Looks like fan expectations have increased...as they should...and that is a good thing. This team and FO need to adjust to OUR new expectations, haha. Get it done RAMS!!!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Sometimes I wonder if this franchise is just destined to be "middle of the road." Just for "fun," I went back and looked at their overall record since I've been a fan. In almost 48 seasons of being a RAMS fan (Start of '69 Season,) this is what their record has been:

Regular Season Wins-363 (17 seasons with 10+ Wins)
Regular Season Losses-348 (24 seasons with losing record)
Regular Season Ties-4
NFC West Regular Season Titles-13
Playoff Appearances-19 (Wins-16, Losses-15)
Super Bowl Appearances-3 (Wins-1, Losses-2)
Regular Season Winning Pct.-51%
Playoff Winning Pct.-50%

As much as recent years have driven me crazy, I cannot and will not stop rooting for them. It seems really twisted, but I just cannot turn it off like a faucet. I know I can be as big a "Doom & Gloom" guy as anyone. But as mad as I can get one week, I seem to always get my hopes up the next. Again it's so twisted, I might seriously consider needing therapy. This Sunday will bring renewed optimism for a win, not caring if it's by 1 or 21. And there will always be room for improvement. As fans, we see things a bit differently, but it's because of our passion for this team's ultimate success. We have no control over decisions being made, and we can offer our opinions. But in the end we are and always will be RAMS fans.

Cheers. :cheers:

ausmurp

Starter
Don't know about you, but I sure expected bigger things from our OL this year. It's not as if they've been devastated with injuries, either. So, what gives?

Not me I expected this based on PFF. They showed how bad they really were last yr, they look at play and not stats, we didn't give up sacks bc we were 30ish in pass attempts.

Barnes is one of the worst centers in the league and GRob one of the worst LTs. We should've upgraded Barnes that was really stupid that we didn't.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We haven't had a winning season in 14 years, playoffs in 13 or a non losing season in 11.
Our coach has only had 6 winning seasons in 21 years as a coach
And we are 3-2 with an offense that ranks among the bottom is almost every category.
Its not Debbie Downer at all, its just Kool Aid dehydration....

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Two things come to mind after reading the OP. First is that I cannot argue with a single thing @Rams43 states. Second is that I am kinda stunned that a thread like this has been posted when the Rams are 3-2. Looks like fan expectations have increased...as they should...and that is a good thing. This team and FO need to adjust to OUR new expectations, haha. Get it done RAMS!!!
We expected more from the Rams coming home with the 2 road wins. A 2nd home game and to not be able to punch it in for TDs and that fake punt drained us all. Like Rams 43 posted, with the offensive line pretty much in tact ? all of the early first round picks on this team. smh

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
We haven't had a winning season in 14 years, playoffs in 13 or a non losing season in 11.
Our coach has only had 6 winning seasons in 21 years as a coach
And we are 3-2 with an offense that ranks among the bottom is almost every category.
Its not Debbie Downer at all, its just Kool Aid dehydration....
upload_2016-10-12_11-47-3.jpeg

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Until the offense ranks no worse than somewhere between 16th and 20th, it's hard for me to get too optimistic.

Hard to win consistently when your offense is mired near the bottom of the league.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Yep, I feel the exact same way. I try to get excited about the team, but it always stays the same under Fisher and I'm tired of waiting for it to change for the better.
And now we are being force fed the Bears and the Chiefs in MO. I may have to give up football!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You're not alone @Rams43 but there is still 11 rounds to go in this fight. I'm so pi$$ed that I have avoided message boards entirely for a few days, and I have the same feeling. But this thing ain't over yet.

I'm still clinging to hope, basically. That the OL will start to click. That the defense will rebound. That this team will run will run off two straight wins before the bye to put us at 5-2 and this disappointing win in the rearview like they did with the SF result. There are a lot of players with pride on this defense and I don't think it's time to write the Rams off just yet.

If not, then there is a silver lining in that we'll get to see the Jared Goff era begin. So hang in there.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've cut back on my posting lately because nobody wants to be around a Mr Gloom and Doom. Including me.

So here goes...

Mr Mediocre remains as our HC and that will continue for the rest of the '16 season.

Keenum has managed 3 wins, each by 3 and 4 point margins when accompanied by terrific D and ST play. Otherwise, he's 0-2. This condition is not likely to improve.

Our #1 overall QB has yet to take an NFL snap. This is despite the success enjoyed by several other rookie QB's around the league AND Keenum's underwhelming performance so far. Let that soak in for a minute. We gave up 6 premium picks for Goff over 2 drafts and have yet to get a single snap as a return on investment through 5 games. Gulp...

What does that say about Fisher's judgement in picking his QB? Or about his staff's ability to develop his QB? Either way, it's kinda scary.

Our "elite" RB is struggling. At least he sure looked elite LAST year. Btw, anybody notice how many of Fisher's RB's have a good 1st year than a big drop off in their 2nd year? Look it up.

Can we please utilize our TE's in this O a bit more? Kendricks can be a weapon, especially against stacked boxes. Is Higbee in witness protection? Boggles my mind how slowly he's developing. From "mini Gronk" in preseason to MIA once the season starts? C'mon...

Britt and Quick (to my great surprise, btw) have impressed, but is anybody happy with our $42 million Tavon as an O weapon? I'm not. Saw it coming, too. Fisher continues to try to force a square peg into a round hole with Tavon. Results speak for themselves, at least so far.

Is there any other team in the league that would continue to struggle facing 8-9 man boxes? Take what the D gives you, dammit! A steady dose of quick passes until either we're up by 21 points OR their D compensates. Geez...

ST's have been outstanding. Wouldn't trade our P or PK for anybody in the league. Coverages have been good, too. Fisher did get carried away with that fake punt, though. The final back-breaker, IMO.

I'm afraid that nothing's gonna significantly improve this year. Offensive ineptitude seems to be baked into Fisher's DNA. Which means another year with some good to great talent will have been wasted.

R-E-L-A-X! Take-a-Deep-Breath-and Exhale-Slowly! At the halfway mark of the Season the Rams will be at 6-2 and all Fears will fade away! ( You will wake up refreshed when I snap my fingers!) SNAP!!

lockdnram21

Legend

So here goes...

I think the plan with Goff was not to play this year tbh....
Austin is getting more involved on offense vertically....
I think they should go to Quick and Britt more... But problem with that is Case

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Rams43

put this in here for you bruh....and I feel your pain....obviously written so eloquently by a man much greater than me...
I'm 100% rooting for Keenum, but he is not the answer to a winning season . Scoring 15 points a game and throwing pick 6's is a recipe for a losing season . Can Goff possibly be worse is what most of the fans are thinking.