Cal fan's take on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hello! (Skip to end for TLDR)

I'm a Cal fan and a prospective Rams fan. No Cal fan wants Goff to go to the Browns. We want the best for him and we hope that he goes to the Rams. I haven't followed NFL too much to know what it takes to be a successful QB at this level, but all Cal fans love Goff and have high expectations for him. It's truly been a blessing to watch him play.

He is really accurate most of the time and just makes plays. You might think that Wentz is better on his feet, but trust me, Goff knows when and how to use his feet. He scrambles really well and is actually deceivingly shifty. Wentz might be the more physical one, but Goff plays really smart, and he can throw his body for the team when necessary. He's certainly done that at Cal.

Goff could've been so much better had he had a little more time in the pocket. Our O-line was one of the worst and gave Goff very little time in the pocket (which also explains his very quick releases). Goff has taken so many hits the first two years at Cal. That's one reason that I really hope that Goff goes to the Rams. He will get crushed at Cleveland. Make no mistake though. He is deadly when defenses show blitz. He lets them come to him and throws over them and eats them up.

Cam Newton has one of the strongest arms, but I hate him as a passer. Obviously you need to have decent strength, but I believe that if you actually throw too fast or too hard, it just leads to dropped passes. Goff throws great deep balls and knows which shoulder to throw at. His footwork has also received plenty of praise. Just give him some time in the pocket, and you've got a deadly QB. (he and his dad grew up playing baseball. you guys might know his dad. so don't underestimate his arm strength)

Don't let Cal's poor records in his first two years worry you. Our defense has been rated the worst in the entire division 1 football. Our O-line has also been prettyyyy bad. But still, he always keeps his cool and will make his throws.

TLDR
1. Goff is accurate and times his throws very well. Enough strength.
2. He is great in the red-zone
3. Amazing footwork that allows him to scramble and move in his pocket to buy time and look for his receivers
4. Great against blitz
5. Quick reads and releases
6. He is a quality guy that won't start drama. He is humble and does the right things.
7. Cal's defense and O-line sucked. And actually our running game was not good either. So even though we ran a pretty one dimensional offense, he did pretty well.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'm not saying this to be a contrarian but I think the Rams are erring towards taking Goff over Wentz.

Mike Silver seems to think it's Goff and he's one of those guys that I tend to trust over most others. Plus he's spent time with the Rams in the past so maybe he knows something most others don't.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

After years of spluttering in the red-zone, you had me sold at this point!

Nice read about Goff from a Cal fan and if we draft him, I hope your early days as a Rams fan starts off well!

fancents86

Starter
Goff seems more of what Fisher wants in a qb. Wentz has the body type, but Goff seems to stay in the pocket more and elude defenders instead of taking off with his feet.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yesterday I wanted Wentz. Today I want Goff. Digging into more film the kid is on a completely different level as a passer.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Goff seems more of what Fisher wants in a qb. Wentz has the body type, but Goff seems to stay in the pocket more and elude defenders instead of taking off with his feet.

Disagree, Fisher wants another McNair and Wentz fits that prototype!

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I'm not saying this to be a contrarian but I think the Rams are erring towards taking Goff over Wentz.

Mike Silver seems to think it's Goff and he's one of those guys that I tend to trust over most others. Plus he's spent time with the Rams in the past so maybe he knows something most others don't.
Silver is also an SF Bay Area resident/49er fan/Cal alum, for what it's worth.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Most feel Wentz has more upside but Goff is more ready to start now. Do the Rams have the patience to wait for Wentz's learning curve? Or do they want a guy they can plug in now? To be continued...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Most feel Wentz has more upside but Goff is more ready to start now. Do the Rams have the patience to wait for Wentz's learning curve? Or do they want a guy they can plug in now? To be continued...

Well everything is geared up for the new stadium so they have a couple years right?

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
even though we ran a pretty one dimensional offense, he did pretty well.
Thanks for the post, nice to get the fan view that probably watched Goff more than anyone out there. I'm not against any of your points, but have to point out the "one-dimensional offense" comment cuts both ways since that one dimension really fuels QB performance. I don't think it's fair to consider the Bear Raid scheme as a hurdle Goff had to overcome, I think it pretty clearly helped him compile those elite stats that got him noticed. Whether or not Goff took the offense to another level due to his talent and attributes you list, I will leave to better QB evaluators than me to debate.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well everything is geared up for the new stadium so they have a couple years right?

IMO if they aren't winning the two years before the new stadium they will have a hard time selling tickets, because they won't be cheap and it'll be difficult to pry the money from people when thee are plenty of other options.

If you aren't winning in LA you aren't getting a big crowd to show up. Even the Lakers suffer when they aren't winning.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I haven't followed NFL too much to know what it takes to be a successful QB
Welcome aboard @dolphinlover123! Stick around ROD and you'll learn all you need to know about being a QB in the NFL and More! We're also a Fun group to be around!
By the way IF you like the Dolphin's you won't be happy to see their schedule this year!
They will in all probability "LOSE" their first to games!
They play @ Seattle and @ New England, in those first two!!:shades:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
IMO if they aren't winning the two years before the new stadium they will have a hard time selling tickets, because they won't be cheap and it'll be difficult to pry the money from people when thee are plenty of other options.

If you aren't winning in LA you aren't getting a big crowd to show up. Even the Lakers suffer when they aren't winning.

I want them to win immediately
We have to
But I'm hoping for at least a one year honeymoon and I agree they have to win to get people to show up to South Central but I believe the new stadium will be a huge attraction

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah, with that abysmal 99.7% attendance...

They fell out of the top 10 in attendance two seasons ago and for the first time in who knows how long........... the Clippers are outdrawing them.

Also the local TV ratings are up and down as well.

Winning matters more in a big city IMO because there are so many more options. The Rams are not going to put winning on "hold" until they move into the new place, that won't work.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome aboard @dolphinlover123! Stick around ROD and you'll learn all you need to know about being a QB in the NFL and More! We're also a Fun group to be around!
By the way IF you like the Dolphin's you won't be happy to see their schedule this year!
They will in all probability "LOSE" their first to games!
They play @ Seattle and @ New England, in those first two!!:shades:

Thx for the welcome. Haha my screen name has no connections to the team Dolphins. I just like their mascot. I'll definitely stick around whether Goff gets the pick or not.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Yesterday I wanted Wentz. Today I want Goff. Digging into more film the kid is on a completely different level as a passer.

I am kind of in the same boat. Wasnt really looking at either because I didnt think we had a shot but the more I watch of Goff, the more I like. I have more to watch and look at but as of today, I have Goff ahead of Wentz.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Hello! (Skip to end for TLDR)

I'm a Cal fan and a prospective Rams fan. No Cal fan wants Goff to go to the Browns. We want the best for him and we hope that he goes to the Rams. I haven't followed NFL too much to know what it takes to be a successful QB at this level, but all Cal fans love Goff and have high expectations for him. It's truly been a blessing to watch him play.

He is really accurate most of the time and just makes plays. You might think that Wentz is better on his feet, but trust me, Goff knows when and how to use his feet. He scrambles really well and is actually deceivingly shifty. Wentz might be the more physical one, but Goff plays really smart, and he can throw his body for the team when necessary. He's certainly done that at Cal.

Goff could've been so much better had he had a little more time in the pocket. Our O-line was one of the worst and gave Goff very little time in the pocket (which also explains his very quick releases). Goff has taken so many hits the first two years at Cal. That's one reason that I really hope that Goff goes to the Rams. He will get crushed at Cleveland. Make no mistake though. He is deadly when defenses show blitz. He lets them come to him and throws over them and eats them up.

Cam Newton has one of the strongest arms, but I hate him as a passer. Obviously you need to have decent strength, but I believe that if you actually throw too fast or too hard, it just leads to dropped passes. Goff throws great deep balls and knows which shoulder to throw at. His footwork has also received plenty of praise. Just give him some time in the pocket, and you've got a deadly QB. (he and his dad grew up playing baseball. you guys might know his dad. so don't underestimate his arm strength)

Don't let Cal's poor records in his first two years worry you. Our defense has been rated the worst in the entire division 1 football. Our O-line has also been prettyyyy bad. But still, he always keeps his cool and will make his throws.

TLDR
1. Goff is accurate and times his throws very well. Enough strength.
3. Amazing footwork that allows him to scramble and move in his pocket to buy time and look for his receivers
4. Great against blitz
5. Quick reads and releases
6. He is a quality guy that won't start drama. He is humble and does the right things.
7. Cal's defense and O-line sucked. And actually our running game was not good either. So even though we ran a pretty one dimensional offense, he did pretty well.

Thanks for the report and welcome!