Burning Questions for the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It's safe to say the top 3 teams will be taking QBs. The question is which and in what order. I think it's a pretty good bet the next 3 will take WRs. A defensive edge rusher could be in that group though. A big question is will somebody trade up (Minnesota???) with LAC to get a QB? Denver and Las Vegas could (should??) also draft QBs. Tennessee has got to go LT, don't they? Then Morris & Atlanta go next? I believe defense. They've got the QB, LT and offensive weapons. It's possible that's where the first defensive player goes off the board. Edge rusher? The Bears might go LT or WR to help Williams. They could also trade down with Denver or Las Vegas (who need a QB) and still fill a need. I guess my point is the draft may play out well for a team who needs defensive starters like the Rams. We might see a heavy lean towards offense in the first 18. I like that idea. And if that's the case there should be plenty of solid defensive options to choose from as well as a trade down possibility (Dallas, who needs a LT and a C?) with the ability to still get a stud.

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
I have no idea but I could see the Rams surprising us and trading up with Atlanta if there is someone they absolutely love still on the board there. Snead already had a good relationship with Falcons front office and adding Raheem there makes it the obvious deal partner now. Falcons could use more picks.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
I guess my point is the draft may play out well for a team who needs defensive starters like the Rams.
And it’s a very valid point.

Aside from the big three QBs, some teams are bound to reach for tier two players like McCarthy, Nix, etc.

Same applies for the WR position: Harrison, Nabers and Odunze are certain to be picked early, and other teams will reach for the next tier of guys.

Same applies for OT: Alt and Fashanu are the only legitimate “blue chip” LT prospects in this draft, but other tackles will be taken before the Rams pick.

Throw in Brock Bowers, and there’s a good chance that about 15 of the first eighteen selections are going to be offensive players. This means that the Rams are going to have some very good defensive players available at pick nineteen.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Snead traded up once. It didn't work out. Tavon Austin turned out to be a huge disappointment. If not an outright bust. I'd say odds are better for a trade down than trade up. But I wouldn't be surprised if they stood pat.

The only trade down scenario I would entertain would be one that keeps us in the first round and nets us another day 2 pick. Maybe a few teams behind us covets a guy think would be gone by 19. Teams like Philly, Dallas, Minn, GB. A guy we won't be picking. Drop down a few spots. Get the guy they want. Pick up an extra 3rd. That would be best case scenario.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Minnesota trades up to #4 and takes McCarthy.

Renters at 5 take MHJ and profit.

Rams stay put in the first, later rounds we could see a trade or two to maneuver. I think we end up with a 4th, Snead has said before the gap like we have between 3rd and 5th is so.ething he doesn't like.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I would not mind if the Rams trade up 3 to 7 slots to get into the mid to low teens where they can likely get the CB Mitchel or edge players Turner & Verse. Like some others here, I really like Cooper DeJean and I think there is a good chance he will be there if they stay at 19. I would not be upset with a left tackle either but there may be better value at Edge and CB and those are bigger needs as well.

Premium Left Tackles, CB's, and Edge Rushers all command top dollar on the FA market so drafting one of those three position groups with first round pick makes the most sense for the rams fiscally and the potnetial for a high return on value is there for all three postion groups in the mid first round.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
It seems to be that the top 4 picks are going to be QB's with the Vikings eyeing a top 4 pick since acquiring a 2nd 1st rounder. Its going to make me a bit ill if they trade up with the cards and they then have 3 1st rounders this year. That could be a pretty transformative draft for them. Then again, I don't want them to get MHJ either.

We are going to have a top CB/Edge/DT available to us at 19, it all depends on how the brass is slotting them. I'm not against a small trade back if the price is right and we have several top guys still on our board.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Think offensive players will definitely push a defensive player down towards us but whom. The more I'm reading, the more I think that all three edges will be gone by us. One of Newton and Murphy will be there for us at 19, possibly both. Arnold or Mitchell will be there at CB but just one of them. DeJean will definitely be there for the taking.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm ready for the RoD pitchforks and anger when the Rams trade up to #8 and select Rome Odunze.
Or worse stay at 19 to take WR instead of Latu or one of the DT we seem be told have to be picked.

Tano

Legend
Or worse stay at 19 to take WR instead of Latu or one of the DT we seem be told have to be picked.
Unfortunately I could see them doing just that. I just hope it won't be a speedy 5 8 170 lb dude.

They rarely work out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Unfortunately I could see them doing just that. I just hope it won't be a speedy 5 8 170 lb dude.

They rarely work out.
It won't if it is anyone, it will be Brian Thomas, Jr., but IMO, they go edge and then DT or CB in round two.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
At LT, after Alt, I like Mims the best and he could be there at 19. I love his size and it fits in with how the Rams are reshaping their line. Mims has a ton of upside and with AJ and Noteboom around for another year he does not have to start right away. However, he would still provide some insurance if he had to be pressed into starting. With all the defensive needs the Rams have it may seem more like a luxury pick but left tackle is still a big long-term need. AJ is on 1 year deal (Maybe), Noteboom is just a backup and McClendon is not suited as a LT. There is also a likely scenario where the best edge guys and CB's are all gone at 19. To me Mims is a better value than any of the DT's and I do not want the Rams to force a pick here.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm ready for the RoD pitchforks and anger when the Rams trade up to #8 and select Rome Odunze.
Rams fans remembering Tavon Austin.

mRilai.gif

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
He's traded up twice in the 1st. You're forgetting the biggest one. He traded up for Goff. That turned out well.
Whoops, forgot about that one. Didn't get us to the promised land but did put on the map again.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
At LT, after Alt, I like Mims the best and he could be there at 19. I love his size and it fits in with how the Rams are reshaping their line. Mims has a ton of upside and with AJ and Noteboom around for another year he does not have to start right away. However, he would still provide some insurance if he had to be pressed into starting. With all the defensive needs the Rams have it may seem more like a luxury pick but left tackle is still a big long-term need. AJ is on 1 year deal (Maybe), Noteboom is just a backup and McClendon is not suited as a LT. There is also a likely scenario where the best edge guys and CB's are all gone at 19. To me Mims is a better value than any of the DT's and I do not want the Rams to force a pick here.
My main issue with Mims (or any LT for that matter) is, we have at least an average LT for this season. One we can win with. If we want to get past the wild card round, we need immediate impact starters on the other side of the ball, period. Mims sitting on the bench will not help that. That is besides the point that I'm very leery of an athletic freak OT that hasn't played much in college. Honestly, he wasn't even really dominant in the 7 games he played either, he's being drafted on potential. We've done that multiple times and failed miserably. Mims would be off my board if I was in charge of this draft. I'd take Fuaga 10/10 over him if I was forced to draft a OT.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I always expect them to add picks..
Maybe it's a move or two that gets them into the fourth.. maybe another 5th, but at top of round.. hard to say.
Higher 5ths could easily fill the needs for RB, LB and Safety, imo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love the player, hate the process.

Lord would this be shitty.
Not shitty at all. Trust in McSnead. I say that knowing full well if it's not a DT or Edge there will be a massive meltdown here because ROD knows better.