Brian Thomas on the board at 19 and Bills calling

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
By-the-way ... Field Yates' Mock (out today) has the Rams selecting Chop Robinson at #19, with Byron Murphy, Jared Verse and Laiatu Latu ALL being drafted AFTER the Rams' selection.
Verse seems to be falling in these public mocks for some reason.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My guess is that people are watching the tape more and getting a sense from teams what they think. Nice player, not blue chip. Wouldn't cry taking him at 19. Think Murphy's probably better.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
My guess is that people are watching the tape more and getting a sense from teams what they think. Nice player, not blue chip. Wouldn't cry taking him at 19. Think Murphy's probably better.
Sounds about right. Verse is somewhat 1 dimensional at this point (in his pass rush). He's also not amazing at defending the run (either is Turner.... guess who is?).

Murphy is a more complete player with just as much rushing chops and far better against the run. If given 2 equal defenders, I'll take the interior rush presence over the exterior every day.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Sounds about right. Verse is somewhat 1 dimensional at this point (in his pass rush). He's also not amazing at defending the run (either is Turner.... guess who is?).

Murphy is a more complete player with just as much rushing chops and far better against the run. If given 2 equal defenders, I'll take the interior rush presence over the exterior every day.
Wait! I thought Verse was good against the run!

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Wait! I thought Verse was good against the run!
I mean, I've seen him stop the run in some game clips, but, he fetched a 65.3 Run Defense Grade from PFF and a 6.6% run stop rate, which is slightly above average (Latu didn't shine in this either 6.9%). Honestly, when I watched FSU, Fiske was the guy blowing up run plays. Verse didn't flash nearly as much IMO.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I mean, I've seen him stop the run in some game clips, but, he fetched a 65.3 Run Defense Grade from PFF and a 6.6% run stop rate, which is slightly above average (Latu didn't shine in this either 6.9%). Honestly, when I watched FSU, Fiske was the guy blowing up run plays. Verse didn't flash nearly as much IMO.
gotcha. I know hardly anything about Fiske. Seems more 4-3 end/dt? Can we use him?

In this day and age though, I think you just take the guys and figure out how to use them ala Donald in your system.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Do the Bills mock everything the rams do only to then blueprint it for themselves lol you still need to picks the right players and hav some luck a lot of luck. Guess that cap hell got them in the end. Lol
The other problem with a trade back is if they go to 28, and team could jump them between 19-28 to grab a remaining edge.

I like the spot that they are in.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure if Chop Robinson drops, IMHO, I do not think it would be to 28. Now it he did, perfect, but I think that would be too far.
Would you even want that guy? He has all the physical measurements but with very little production, from what I've heard. McSnead seem to be all about real football players who don't necessarily blow @Merlin 's socks off at the combine. I'd rather trade up fpr a guy for whom AD would approve.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don’t see Rams trading up unless it involves a player like Tutu instead of another high draft pick. They have too many open key positions they still need to fill (DE, Edge, ILB2, FS, K, RB2, WR3).
They had a lot of nerds last year, and still tried to trade up into round one
I think we want extra picks in the first three rounds with how deep this draft is. If the trade value chart says a first and a third gets it done, I'd do it.
Actually this is not a deep draft. It’s a deep draft for players with round 1 grades. In many years there will only be around a dozen players or less with first round grades. Too many players stayed in college for the NIL deals. I hope the Rams don’t keep trading back a getting extra sixth rounders. It’s going to be much more difficult to get good players at the back end.
I’ve noticed that too. I think he’s a bit one dimensional. I’ve seen him mocked to the Eagles. But it is so hard to know what is true right now. We are in the heart of the misinformation campaigns.

One thing I heard from PFF is that the chance of getting a good edge rusher outside of round one is very low historically. The chance drops way off from round 1 to round 2 even. So, are Verse, Turner, Latu, and Chop really first round level in most drafts? None of them are slam dunks. That’s why you see them rated from 10-30.

My preference is still Johnny Newton but I think Chop Robinson is going to be as good, if not better than Verse or Turner. I wouldn’t be upset if the Rams ended up with him somewhere in round 1….unless Newton is still on the board.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I am in favour or trading back. It would need to include pick 60 which will be valuable in this draft. We don’t need an all pro on the Edge and there are legitimate concerns with all the players people are mentioning not least injury issues. I would happily pick the BYU OT or Tyler Nubin, for example, at the Bills spot - then look forward to seeing which Edge rushers are available closer to 52 (trading up a few spots if need be).

I was thinking of posting a “Rams Fans lose their shit mock” draft, where we don’t pick an Edge in the top 4 rounds :)

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Would you even want that guy? He has all the physical measurements but with very little production, from what I've heard. McSnead seem to be all about real football players who don't necessarily blow @Merlin 's socks off at the combine. I'd rather trade up fpr a guy for whom AD would approve.
I prefer Newton, but Chop is a physical freak. He was a the heart and soul of a very good defense at PSU. He loves football and has a high IQ. He checks all of the Rams boxes imo.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not really interested. At #19 the Rams may still be at the tail end of the blue-chip player lane.
Move down to #28 and they are probably looking at red-chip players rated as 2nd - 3rd round talents.

Besides, the Bills don't have the mid 3rd round selection the draft chart calls for and I doubt they would be desperate to overpay and give up their 2nd rounder. Sure, both teams could swap a bunch of picks to come up with the value, but it's not worth it, IMO.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Steve Palazolo’s ten year old son had the Rams trading up with the Saints (14) to land Latu, in his draft.

I could see that happening.
Of course, he doesn't speak for all NFL teams, but Fox Sports Media Draftnik Rob Rang said that Latu's medical report came back clean so it's possible.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Would you be mad if the Rams went DT at 19 and 52? There could be the case that two DTs in this draft could get to the QB as well as a DT and an EDGE.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor