Breaking down the acquisition of new Rams QB Brandon Allen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Where do you see Brandon Allen in three years?

• Rams Backup

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Rams 3rd-string QB

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Rams Starter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not on the team anymore

Votes: 29 50.9%

• Total voters

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My boy Mannion gets no love but a guy that throws 3 interceptions has the "it" factor, just gotta love it
You gotta SEE those 3 picks...couple were right there and the receivers didn't get them...Right there.
Stats....people get hooked up on stats....Stats are cool...but in small sample sizes (3 int game) vs 3 seasons...Picks are hard to....evaluate...Is it a trend or something else? Small samples is harder to tell...not impossible, but harder. Large sample sizes is where the money is basically made in statistics....
images

Small samples can have you all over....maybe you throw 3 int's...when in fact you'll just need a few more games to add some td's...remember, most are normal....to be at the ends...in anything...is rare.

BA's a pretty exciting player...and looked BETTER than I've ever seen Mannion EVER look in the pros. He just throws the ball downfield more...maybe even better. Again...Rams QB's stare down ONE target often...This kid was reading progressions and firing the rock all over...you would have loved that game. The lil I remember about him was in the senior bowl....or some post game stuff....he had a live arm....even tho he has...

Small ass hands....LOL

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You gotta SEE those 3 picks...couple were right there and the receivers didn't get them...Right there.
Stats....people get hooked up on stats....Stats are cool...but in small sample sizes (3 int game) vs 3 seasons...Picks are hard to....evaluate...Is it a trend or something else? Small samples is harder to tell...not impossible, but harder. Large sample sizes is where the money is basically made in statistics....
images

Small samples can have you all over....maybe you throw 3 int's...when in fact you'll just need a few more games to add some td's...remember, most are normal....to be at the ends...in anything...is rare.

BA's a pretty exciting player...and looked BETTER than I've ever seen Mannion EVER look in the pros. He just throws the ball downfield more...maybe even better. Again...Rams QB's stare down ONE target often...This kid was reading progressions and firing the rock all over...you would have loved that game. The lil I remember about him was in the senior bowl....or some post game stuff....he had a live arm....even tho he has...

Small ass hands....LOL
Right, hard to throw INT when the ball only goes 5 yards...
There's a lot to like about this kid.
Namely, he isnt a Fisher Kerry Collins clone....

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I like Mannion. However, Mannion doesn't throw the interceptions that Allen does and will do because he doesn't take any chances. He's a very one read oriented guy. Which is why he's likely never going to be anything more than a good backup QB.

Taking chances is all Mannion did in college throwing deep is what Mannion did when they had the personnel the same as what he did this preseason, take deep shots and threw the ball in tight windows while being pressured and hit. Taking chances and being reckless are too different things

Being from Oregon (although mostly a Ducks fan) I saw Mannion play a lot. The knock on Mannion back then was his lack of escapability when the pocket collapsed. I want to see Mannion next preseason after two training camps and a full regular season under his first real NFL offensive coaching. I doubt very highly that Mannion's QB skills were improved under the Fisher regime.

Having Goff, Mannion, and now this Allen guy all getting coached up by this staff is full of win! They will all improve and will end up not only valuable as backups, but also as trade bait.

Another good move by McSnead.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
images

Small ass hands....LOL

Lol this is funny. He throws the ball downfield more but this is a guy who was actually playing against 4-5th stringers and Mannion was playing against 2-3rd stringers all preseason and Mannion got persecuted for not scoring more but here we got a guy that throw 3 interceptions playing against weaker competition but he looks better because he throws the ball down field more.

The dislike of Mannion is real and I get it it's cool, but throwing the ball downfield in the preseason and doing it in the regular season is completely different. Him being reckless not understanding the limits of his arm is a drive killer. And to say that Mannion wasn't throwing the ball downfield is a lie he had 5 passes of 20 or more yards in 1 game and I'm not talking about catch and runs.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right, hard to throw INT when the ball only goes 5 yards...
There's a lot to like about this kid.
Namely, he isnt a Fisher Kerry Collins clone....
That gotta apply to Goff to since Goff and Mannions YPA is nearly identical

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol this is funny. He throws the ball downfield more but this is a guy who was actually playing against 4-5th stringers and Mannion was playing against 2-3rd stringers all preseason and Mannion got persecuted for not scoring more but here we got a guy that throw 3 interceptions playing against weaker competition but he looks better because he throws the ball down field more.

The dislike of Mannion is real and I get it it's cool, but throwing the ball downfield in the preseason and doing it in the regular season is completely different. Him being reckless not understanding the limits of his arm is a drive killer. And to say that Mannion wasn't throwing the ball downfield is a lie he had 5 passes of 20 or more yards in 1 game and I'm not talking about catch and runs.
His only 2 td passes came late in the 3rd and late in the 4th. You cry about consistency but then say "this is a guy who was actually playing against 4-5th stringers and Mannion was playing against 2-3rd stringers"
Lol
He padded his stats against the same 4th and 5th stringers.
Allen wont threaten Mannion this year, he's the #2 for sure. But if Olson likes him and he picks things up, it could be a debate next spring

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That gotta apply to Goff to since Goff and Mannions YPA is nearly identical
Goff really owns you eh? You cant have a conversation without bringing him up. Ever.
The subject here is Mannion, er, actually its Allen and how he compares to Mannion.
Your infatuation with Goff is truly disturbing...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His only 2 td passes came late in the 3rd and late in the 4th. You cry about consistency but then say "this is a guy who was actually playing against 4-5th stringers and Mannion was playing against 2-3rd stringers"
Lol
He padded his stats against the same 4th and 5th stringers.
Allen wont threaten Mannion this year, he's the #2 for sure. But if Olson likes him and he picks things up, it could be a debate next spring

Consistency, last year Mannion showed consistency this year he led a number of scoring plays that resulted in field goals because of penalties and fumbles he savaged something out of nothing, he Mannion wasn't the reason why they wasn't able to score more touchdowns.

3 interceptions in the 4th preseason game is terrible no matter how good he looked throwing those pics.

next year if Mannion isn't traded he will beat him out too. The only thing the kid can do is scramble, his highlights was full of missed tackle and he throws a terrible ball to the flat on those rollouts that's a staple of mcVays offense. He is a developmental guy that they have control of for a couple more years that's it

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff really owns you eh? You cant have a conversation without bringing him up. Ever.
The subject here is Mannion, er, actually its Allen and how he compares to Mannion.
Your infatuation with Goff is truly disturbing...
No you're always finding something to dig at Mannion is what's disturbing, dont get all knotted up because your statement applies to your golden boy too

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He throws the ball downfield more but this is a guy who was actually playing against 4-5th stringers and Mannion was playing against 2-3rd stringers all preseason and Mannion got persecuted for not scoring more but here we got a guy that throw 3 interceptions playing against weaker competition but he looks better because he throws the ball down field more.

Superman's dad....love that

I don't dislike Mannion...the person....not the player either....I'd be extremely nervous were he made to play...I'm nervous with Goff too....probably be nervous with Allen....but....Allen does throw the ball downfield more than our QB's...he looks through progressions unlike our QBs...he's more mobile....hell, he looks like a baller....A QB that's trying to get in the endzone at all costs. A little reckless....sure...A good coach once said....it's easier to teach a colt how to "whoa"...slow down...than have to whip him and speed him up....Same with QB's...it's hard to get a natural check down king to look downfield for the big play....it's easier to teach a gunslinger to look for the safe play..not always the big play.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Superman's dad....love that

I don't dislike Mannion...the person....not the player either....I'd be extremely nervous were he made to play...I'm nervous with Goff too....probably be nervous with Allen....but....Allen does throw the ball downfield more than our QB's...he looks through progressions unlike our QBs...he's more mobile....hell, he looks like a baller....A QB that's trying to get in the endzone at all costs. A little reckless....sure...A good coach once said....it's easier to teach a colt how to "whoa"...slow down...than have to whip him and speed him up....Same with QB's...it's hard to get a natural check down king to look downfield for the big play....it's easier to teach a gunslinger to look for the safe play..not always the big play.
He just reminds me of Austin Davis and I love Austin Davis but we found out how quickly that light can sputter. as far as throwing down the field more I like what I saw from Mannion as far as Goff I'm waiting to see him in action in the regular season cause I'm pretty sure most of the blame goes on Fisher for them not throwing deep

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No you're always finding something to dig at Mannion is what's disturbing, dont get all knotted up because your statement applies to your golden boy too
Here you go again making stuff up.....
No I dont like Mannion's game, and if he can be upgraded fine.
Goff isnt part of the discussion man, no matter how infatuated you are with him. And sorry to say but I'm critical of him too...
Just not @LACHAMP46 like, but critical. Lol

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here you go again making stuff up.....
No I dont like Mannion's game, and if he can be upgraded fine.
Goff isnt part of the discussion man, no matter how infatuated you are with him. And sorry to say but I'm critical of him too...
Just not @LACHAMP46 like, but critical. Lol
What did I make up, did you miss the part were you wrote, it's hard throwing interceptions when the ball only travels 5 yards.

I'm clearly not infatuated with a Goff that's you making stuff up but when I hear double negatives I just point it out. Maybe once Goff shows something and you say something negative about Mannion then it wouldn't apply to him either but until then every time you take a dig at Mannion I'm going to show how that applies to Goff to. Every time a Qb gets added to the roster all of a sudden it's Mannion spots that's in danger maybe don't listen to Allbright too much the guy changes his story as much as a chameleon change colors

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What did I make up, did you miss the part were you wrote, it's hard throwing interceptions when the ball only travels 5 yards.

I'm clearly not infatuated with a Goff that's you making stuff up but when I hear double negatives I just point it out. Maybe once Goff shows something and you say something negative about Mannion then it wouldn't apply to him either but until then every time you take a dig at Mannion I'm going to show how that applies to Goff to. Every time a Qb gets added to the roster all of a sudden it's Mannion spots that's in danger maybe don't listen to Allbright too much the guy changes his story as much as a chameleon change colors
Goff, Goff,Goff, Goff....
When you want to talk about Allen and how it relates to Mannion, let me know....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Adding Allen....reflects on BOTH our YOUNG QB's that fail to use the entire field effectively....Mannion has done a lil more...he's played a lil more....I'm talkin bout PRESEASON, damnit...Allen....Allen is exciting.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Allen was compared to Case Keenum, but watching him play at Arkansas, Allen is far more elusive than Keenum, who could run, but was stiff. Allen's arm is superior as well, but IMO, he'll make a good NFL backup for Goff for the next several years. Also he's not Dan Orlovsky so I already like him very, very much!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff, Goff,Goff, Goff....
When you want to talk about Allen and how it relates to Mannion, let me know....
lol I'm trying to figure out how does Allen relate to Mannion, Dan O is the one gone not Mannion

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lol I'm trying to figure out how does Allen relate to Mannion, Dan O is the one gone not Mannion
Pretty simple really, started out as a thread about Allen and what he brings the Rams until this guy stuck this in there (about 5 posts in)
My boy Mannion gets no love but a guy that throws 3 interceptions has the "it" factor, just gotta love it

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty simple really, started out as a thread about Allen and what he brings the Rams until this guy stuck this in there (about 5 posts in)
Lol clearly you didn't read what that was written in response to that