Bradford's Future with the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He's got a guaranteed contract through the end of his rookie deal? That doesn't seem right. If the Rams are on the hook for $16M for Bradford next year regardless of whether he's healthy or plays, then someone's made a big error.

Pretty sure he gets something guaranteed. Don't think teams gave rookies their guarentee all at once under the old scale.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I honestly don't think he's done as a Ram. At least for next season.

The only way Sam is gone is if...

a.) A Peyton Manning situation happens again (Eli? Ben?).

b.) The team is so terrible Jeff Fisher and Les Snead get fired and the new guys get rid of him.

I wouldn't be opposed to option A, and option B isn't likely. The team has too much talent in most every spot to be a 0 to 4 win team.

He'd still have a pretty big cap hit if he were to be cut now or then as well.

We'll see what happens. It's way too early to speculate.

Come on... You don't honestly believe it will take Fisher getting fired for Sam to be gone, do you?

He got injured on what was essentially a love tap. Regardless of his abilities or talent that play proved without a doubt that he simply cannot be depended on as a starting QB.

Then throw in the cap hit he'll be due... He's done dude. He couldn't be more done.

AZRamsFan93

I love Bradford - and I'd love him to get a new contract and another chance - but really with him missing this year and the end of last year?? I just can't believe he got hurt again.
No way he gets a new contract, unless it's a one year incentive laden with a very small commitment.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
No way he gets a new contract, unless it's a one year incentive laden with a very small commitment.

Well that's really what I was thinking about. Who knows. Maybe Sam is willing to take it and prove his health. Hes got some money in the bank. I wouldn't blame him if he wants to move on though.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm a fan of Sam, I still think he has more throwing talent than Kap and Wilson, but if I was his father I would tell him that enough is enough. He's a rich man, if he leaves now he may be able to walk with his children someday.

As for the Rams, part ways and don't panic in 2014. This is why Hill is here, Davis looks as good as any other teams backup we could realistically trade for. Next year don't panic in the draft. Learn from Washington's RGme debacle and don't overspend. If the Cards can go 10-6 with a retread like Palmer, we will be able to find a guy to win with without ruining the future.

scifiman

He's done for. At least with his current contract and current status as the unquestioned starting quarterback.

The Rams will do whatever they can do to field a capable QB in 2014, and they'll likely turn to the draft or free agency after the season.

Even if they bring Bradford back at a lower cost, no way do they not draft a QB high to provide competition.
I agree. If the rams bring him back it will be at substantially less or they cut him loose. No team is going to give him a lot of guaranteed money after this latest injury. I would have to do some research on success ratio of tearing the same acl twice and coming back from it. I had always heard it was stronger after it was repaired.

scifiman

Looks like next year is his last.

Well, if I'm the Rams I'm not so sure I don't start looking at other options at this point.
Can't believe I'm posting this....
Reality sets in. You have to be a little more mobile and aware than Bradford was. He had the arm just not the tools to go with it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Come on... You don't honestly believe it will take Fisher getting fired for Sam to be gone, do you?

He got injured on what was essentially a love tap. Regardless of his abilities or talent that play proved without a doubt that he simply cannot be depended on as a starting QB.

Then throw in the cap hit he'll be due... He's done dude. He couldn't be more done.

Yup. I honestly believe that. Jeff Fisher and Sam have been tied together since he came here. Plus other factors can come into play. Point being, too early to speculative.

AZRamsFan93

Reality sets in. You have to be a little more mobile and aware than Bradford was. He had the arm just not the tools to go with it.
His lack of pocket presence and mobility has always been his Achilles heel IMHO.

scifiman

I'm a fan of Sam, I still think he has more throwing talent than Kap and Wilson, but if I was his father I would tell him that enough is enough. He's a rich man, if he leaves now he may be able to walk with his children someday.

As for the Rams, part ways and don't panic in 2014. This is why Hill is here, Davis looks as good as any other teams backup we could realistically trade for. Next year don't panic in the draft. Learn from Washington's RGme debacle and don't overspend. If the Cards can go 10-6 with a retread like Palmer, we will be able to find a guy to win with without ruining the future.
I agree. All 3 of our qb's have at least some knowledge of our offense and personnel. I would keep the 3 we have and if one falters then put in the next guy and so on and so on. I think Hill is the consummate back up pro QB who will make the smart decisions and chew up the clock and hopefully keep us in the games. Take what the defense gives you and teach the younger guys. I really dont think Sam was much of a teacher with the amount of games he missed.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
His lack of pocket presence and mobility has always been his Achilles heel IMHO.[/QUOTEon]

But the irony is that that last year and this pre season he's looked absolutely great in the pocket! He was moving the pocket, moving bout in the pocket - climbing it, standing tall and sensing the rush - and delivering strikes. Its just pure bad luck not his lack of awareness.

But the irony is that that last year and this pre season he's looked absolutely great in the pocket! He was moving the pocket, moving bout in the pocket - climbing it, standing tall and sensing the rush - and delivering strikes. Its just pure bad luck not his lack of awareness. Don't know why the post came out formatted like that btw

scifiman

His lack of pocket presence and mobility has always been his Achilles heel IMHO.
Been saying this for years but got slammed all the time for stating the obvious. Bradford never stood tall in the pocket.

AZRamsFan93

But the irony is that that last year and this pre season he's looked absolutely great in the pocket! He was moving the pocket, moving bout in the pocket - climbing it, standing tall and sensing the rush - and delivering strikes. Its just pure bad luck not his lack of awareness. Don't know why the post came out formatted like that btw
I don't agree. He looked great in the pocket when using play action (little pressure). I assess pocket presence and mobility when the pocket collapses. He has never been good in those situations.

scifiman

In my opinion, Bradford is done in St Louis and probably the NFL. Either he is fragile; or Fisher brought him back too soon and didn't allow time for the injury to completely heal. When he went down last night it wasn't that big of a hit (much like last season's injury). Fisher gambled and hitched his wagon to Sam and he lost - it's as simple as that. I was one of the few that believed we should have drafted a QB (as insurance) in the 1st or 2nd round. Jeff rolled the dice and it didn't work out. Time for all of us to rally behind Hill and Davis (and even Gilbert for that matter).
According to every article I read it was the rams holding Bradford back and not them pushing the other way. I for one would have drafted a qb earlier last and this year as well.

scifiman

Agree. 1st and foremost it is a business decision. I think most fans at this point have given up on Bradford as the franchise qb. Even those who were his most loyal followers have changed their tune.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Been saying this for years but got slammed all the time for stating the obvious. Bradford never stood tall in the pocket.
Stating the obvious? Why is it obvious if there are other opinions on the matter that are contrary to that one?
Never stood tall in the pocket? That's a crock of shit. It really is.

Bradford's out for the season and possibly out for good. Let's not kick him while he's down too.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
He is unfortunately done as the Rams quarterback. Time to draft Hundley next year. In the meantime, we are fine with Hill and playoffs are still possible.

AZRamsFan93

Stating the obvious? Why is it obvious if there are other opinions on the matter that are contrary to that one?
Never stood tall in the pocket? That's a crock of crap. It really is.

Bradford's out for the season and possibly out for good. Let's not kick him while he's down too.
This is a fan forum for a football team. I am quite sure that any statement made is not personal toward Sam, so there is no "kicking him while he is down" in making observation regarding past play. I would assume he is not reading Internet forums. It seems you are defending your own opinions and feelings about the situation.

I don't know Sam. I have never met him. I wish him no ill will. I still think he has had issues in his pocket presence.

Big Willie

Starter
If the Rams release him in 2015, they are on the hook for his prorated signing bonus only. Based on that, why wouldn't you bring him back, add some "real competition" in a high ranked draft choice or mid-level free agent. If he gets hurt again, you release him with an injury settlement. If he performs for the year and wins the starting job you pay him his current salary (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/st-louis-rams) and now you have two potential quality players at the position.

I think he's back in 2015, but is on a one-year contract and will have competition for the starting job.