Bradford requests a trade, wont participate, will he retire?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

six2stack

UDFA
Name
Rich
Bradford is a whiny cry baby. The guy has practically stolen millions since he's been in the league. His production hasn't warranted 1/10 of what he's made. All he has to do is play well this year and then other teams will sign him for millions more. Goff or Wentz will be sitting on the bench this season anyway.

What is he thinking???

tempests

Hall of Fame
They are not trading all those picks to draft a QB at #2 to let him sit, IMO. It wouldn't make sense. Nothing they did makes sense. Why pay Sam and Daniels all that money to ride the pine?

Eagles went "all in" to find a franchise QB. Except, they didn't go "all in" on one guy. They got the best vet option available and are going for the best available prospect in the draft. Double down, so to speak. That was the plan, until Bradford freaked out.

Their only crime here is not putting all their eggs in one basket.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

With a starting QB salary.

OK.

Seriously, is that what we're going for now...meaningless and subjective power rankings?

No, the NFL community thought Sam Bradford was the starter. Especially BEFORE they traded up to #2.

Oh come on. This is a ridiculous argument too. Case Keenum has been a back up QB that can start games in a pinch if need be. He's been this way his whole career and knows his role.

Ram65

Legend

to all of you saying that sam should stay there and stick it out, a question.

what do you think's gonna happen after every incompletion, a completion short of the sticks on 3rd down, every interception? the crowd is gonna start chanting wentz/goff's name, that's what. how is a team supposed to function like that?

look at what happened to the broncos when tebow was in town on the bench. what qb would want to be put in that position? there's no winning there.

I was imagining the chant early today...."WE WANT WENTZ...WE WANT WENTZ going on endlessly at the Linc. Football in Philadelphia is very intense. It's a football town. It would be very hard to be looking over your shoulder all the time. It's 90 percent what they talk about on sports talk radio.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Eagles went "all in" to find a franchise QB. Except, they didn't go "all in" on one guy. They got the best vet option available and are going for the best available prospect in the draft. Double down, so to speak. That was the plan, until Bradford freaked out.

Their only crime here is not putting all their eggs in one basket.

It's jut my opinion that the Eagles had a plan in place already and had they told Sam they we're trading up to #2 he wouldn't have signed his contract. So, blame Sam if you want for what he is doing now but it seems to me the Eagles brought this on by not being up front.

That's all I'm saying.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had no future when he signed a two year deal that allows him to be cut after one year for very little cap hit.

And he did it days before he could have become a free agent.

Takes two to tango!

Maybe but he had a chance to be the guy still if he played well for the new coach. He plays well they extend him.

Now? Forget about it. The rookie is playing sooner or later no matter what he does. Why learn a new offense when you know you're outta there after this season. Hasn't he tried to learn enough offenses in his career so far? Maybe he wants the next one he learns to last a few years for him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's jut my opinion that the Eagles had a plan in place already and had they told Sam they we're trading up to #2 he wouldn't have signed his contract. So, blame Sam if you want for what he is doing now but it seems to me the Eagles brought this on by not being up front.

That's all I'm saying.
And how did the Eagles know that they'd be able to trade up to #2 when he signed the deal?
I'm not convinced that Chase Daniel wouldn't have taken the job from Bradford anyway.
So Sammy gets to bail out instead of being beaten out

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sams best season of his career was barely average. That season was with another club. WTF are we defending Bradford's position of wanting to be treated like a franchise QB when he hasn't come CLOSE to earning that respect??? Because he was drafted #1 overall??? Someone get Jawalrus Russel's agent on the phone, stat!!!

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Considering the money he's made vs the time on field and what he has(n't) produced in that time he should STFU and at this point be thankful he's not considered a third stringer.

It is about next year. If you believe Rossman there are no good QBS in the draft or FA for the next 3 years. If you are Bradford you want to be in that soft market and to be able to control your destiny and not to be a trade chip. No doubt in my mind that Bradford will beat out Daniels and Wentz. the problem is the chips that they gave up make it less likely that they can compete for a playoff spot or go deep in the playoffs.​

Maybe but he had a chance to be the guy still if he played well for the new coach. He plays well they extend him.

Has no chance to be the guy for more than 8 games next year. With 2 or three hits in the draft they could have be a serious competitor in the NFC East. Not now or in the next yer or two, they will struggle with who ever starts (Bradford or Daniels) this year and then they will play the Rook and suffer more. Cleveland is smiling.​

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i have to say espn have gone after sam hard. i've never seen so much vitriol towards a player.

the only guys that haven't towed the line are kornheiser and wilbon. kornhesiser said if i was a qb and my team traded up to #2 to get any qb, they don't even care which one it is, i'm straight on the phone saying get me the hell outta here. wilbon didn't really care enough to comment much about it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/27/...ng-sam-bradford-philadelphia-eagles-nfl-draft

The Sam Bradford Fiasco in Philadelphia
The Eagles moved up in the draft to presumably take a quarterback, leading Bradford to request a trade. It’s a bold move for a QB whose on-field numbers leave much to be desired.
By Peter King

One point is lost in this Sam Bradford fiasco in Philadelphia: Nothing ever, ever, ever is guaranteed in football. To prove that, let’s go back in time to the 2006 draft, 10 years ago this week. The Arizona Cardinals, picking 10th overall with an aging Kurt Warner on their roster, chose USC’s Matt Leinart as their long-term quarterback of the future.

“A gift from heaven,’’ coach Dennis Green called Leinart.

Then football happened. Leinart wasn’t as good as everyone thought, and there was a coaching change after his rookie year, and Leinart didn’t like new coach Ken Whisenhunt. Warner rallied, determined to keep the starting job. By the third year of the Leinart experiment, the job was Warner’s full-time, and he led them to a Super Bowl.

mmqb-bradfordstrike.jpg

Photo: Julio Cortez/AP

If Bradford, a former first overall pick, is better than Carson Wentz (the Eagles’ presumed pick at No. 2 this year), he’s going to be the starting quarterback in Philadelphia as long as he outplays the kid. Or Bradford’s going to play well enough this year to prove to the rest of the league that he deserves a shot to be some team’s long-term guy. Bradford has done no such thing yet.

He’s been very good since entering the league in 2010 at making money—and not nearly as good at playing football. That is not a knock on Bradford. It is simply a fact. He’s had three injuries that have kept him out of extensive action, and it is not possible yet to judge how good he is, or whether a team should mortgage its salary cap on him.

On Monday night, Bradford’s agent, Tom Condon, explained Bradford’s thinking on Sirius XM NFL Radio: “Sam wants to play somewhere where he’s going to stay for a long time if he plays well. He wants to be the guy. He does not view himself as a stopgap quarterback.”

Every quarterback wants to be “the guy.” But Bradford simply hasn’t proven beyond a doubt that he deserves to be that guy. That’s why the Eagles gave him a two-year contract and not a five-year deal. The following numbers underscore the problem with Bradford and Condon talking as if he’s a well-established starting quarterback.

What I would say to Bradford:

1. You have earned the right to be ticked off that the Eagles are going to draft a quarterback intended to beat you out.

2. You have not earned the right to go on strike over it.

3. You have been paid massively and so far have not produced to justify what the Rams and Eagles have paid you.

4. You control your fate. Be the best quarterback in camp, and you’ll play. Compete.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/27/...ng-sam-bradford-philadelphia-eagles-nfl-draft

The Sam Bradford Fiasco in Philadelphia
The Eagles moved up in the draft to presumably take a quarterback, leading Bradford to request a trade. It’s a bold move for a QB whose on-field numbers leave much to be desired.
By Peter King

One point is lost in this Sam Bradford fiasco in Philadelphia: Nothing ever, ever, ever is guaranteed in football. To prove that, let’s go back in time to the 2006 draft, 10 years ago this week. The Arizona Cardinals, picking 10th overall with an aging Kurt Warner on their roster, chose USC’s Matt Leinart as their long-term quarterback of the future.

“A gift from heaven,’’ coach Dennis Green called Leinart.

Then football happened. Leinart wasn’t as good as everyone thought, and there was a coaching change after his rookie year, and Leinart didn’t like new coach Ken Whisenhunt. Warner rallied, determined to keep the starting job. By the third year of the Leinart experiment, the job was Warner’s full-time, and he led them to a Super Bowl.

mmqb-bradfordstrike.jpg

Photo: Julio Cortez/AP

If Bradford, a former first overall pick, is better than Carson Wentz (the Eagles’ presumed pick at No. 2 this year), he’s going to be the starting quarterback in Philadelphia as long as he outplays the kid. Or Bradford’s going to play well enough this year to prove to the rest of the league that he deserves a shot to be some team’s long-term guy. Bradford has done no such thing yet.

He’s been very good since entering the league in 2010 at making money—and not nearly as good at playing football. That is not a knock on Bradford. It is simply a fact. He’s had three injuries that have kept him out of extensive action, and it is not possible yet to judge how good he is, or whether a team should mortgage its salary cap on him.

On Monday night, Bradford’s agent, Tom Condon, explained Bradford’s thinking on Sirius XM NFL Radio: “Sam wants to play somewhere where he’s going to stay for a long time if he plays well. He wants to be the guy. He does not view himself as a stopgap quarterback.”

Every quarterback wants to be “the guy.” But Bradford simply hasn’t proven beyond a doubt that he deserves to be that guy. That’s why the Eagles gave him a two-year contract and not a five-year deal. The following numbers underscore the problem with Bradford and Condon talking as if he’s a well-established starting quarterback.

What I would say to Bradford:

1. You have earned the right to be ticked off that the Eagles are going to draft a quarterback intended to beat you out.

2. You have not earned the right to go on strike over it.

3. You have been paid massively and so far have not produced to justify what the Rams and Eagles have paid you.

4. You control your fate. Be the best quarterback in camp, and you’ll play. Compete.

i'm so sick of their dumb arguments.

leinart fell to the cardinals. they gave up nothing for him. didn't show shit. warner was benched after 4 or 5 games for leinart. leinart still looked bad. next season, warner killed preseason. leinart was still the starter. he was so bad they had to insert warner every game to get the offense going. leinart still started until he got injured. kurt throws 3 tds per game in 07. in 08 he still had to fight to be the starting qb. this is a qb that fell to the cardinals. kurt wanted to retire at the end of 06 but the whiz talked him out of it. luckily kurt was back in a system that suited his game with a coach that let him be him. this was a case of the owner telling whiz to play leinart. a player they gave up nothing for except their allotted draft pick.

the eagles traded a boatload of picks to move up to #2. the rookie is gonna take over. to argue sam can stop this is incredibly naive and/or deceptive.

doughboy should stick to thrusting his tongue up brady's ass every chance he gets.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Then why the fuck did you have your client sign a TWO YEAR DEAL you knucklehead.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I'm amazed people are bashing Sam. Imagine signing a contract for the next 2 years and being told you're the manager.

3 weeks later you're told your replacement has been hired and he gets to take half of your on the job training classes. (reps in the off season) I'd be pissed too.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm amazed people are bashing Sam. Imagine signing a contract for the next 2 years and being told you're the manager.

3 weeks later you're told your replacement has been hired and he gets to take half of your on the job training classes. (reps in the off season) I'd be pissed too.

Maybe no one told him he'd be the manager or they told him he'd have to compete for the starting job. We don't know because we weren't there when the contract was signed. Then the there's the boatload of money he gets for holding a clipboard on the sidelines.

That should light a fire under his butt instead of wanting him to quit. If he doesn't like his situation he can give the money back and bolt for another team. But even then nothing's guaranteed in the NFL. It's a "what have you done for me lately" type of league.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Maybe no one told him he'd be the manager or they told him he'd have to compete for the starting job. We don't know because we weren't there when the contract was signed. Then the there's the boatload of money he gets for holding a clipboard on the sidelines.

That should light a fire under his butt instead of wanting him to quit. If he doesn't like his situation he can give the money back and bolt for another team. But even then nothing's guaranteed in the NFL. It's a "what have you done for me lately" type of league.

Logically, I think it's safe to assume he wasn't told they had plans to trade up and draft a QB at #2 when he signed that deal. You know as well as I do that he will not keep that job even if he plays well.

Standing around and getting paid to do nothing may appeal to some people, but I doubt that's why Bradford is still in the league. You don't play, you don't get better.

As far as giving back money? I hate it when people begrudge the very few NFL players that make big money. 78% of NFL players go bankrupt within 2 years of their "retirement" from the NFL, while 100% of owners are Billionaires.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Have to wonder if he does this if the Broncos were settled on a QB? Would he be wanting a trade if his options were only SF and CLE (or equally bottom teams)? Probably is tempting to try and force a trade if you think there is a shot at going to the defending SB champ.

As pointed out there is no way he could look at the contract and think he was set to be the long term guy in Philly (at best it is a high paying "prove it" deal)