Bradford On Rams: "i Think We're Close"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jim Thomas
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ebedddef-4051-5bfa-a108-6205dc8c43af.html

As much as he'd like to shut off his brain and watch Sunday's NFC championship game as a fan, Sam Bradford knows that won't be possible.

"You watch San Fran and you know their scheme," Bradford told the Post-Dispatch. "You watch Seattle and you know their scheme. It's kind of interesting watching that, and their game plans, and how they feel they should attack them and what the best ways are to do it."

And while he's doing that, Bradford undoubtedly will be thinking to himself: "How are we going to be able to beat these guys next season?"

In 2010, Bradford's rookie season, the 7-8 Rams closed the regular season in a winner-take-all contest with the 6-9 Seahawks for the NFC West title. That's how weak the West was just three years ago. Seattle won that game 16-6, and because it had the tiebreaker edge over the Rams, the Seahawks became NFC West champions and earned a playoff berth with a 7-9 record.

"It's completely changed from when I first came in," Bradford said. "It's definitely tough. You look at Arizona goes _ what 10-6? _ and they're the third team in our division and don't make the playoffs. It's tough, but we believe that we can be the best team in this division and we can compete with everyone in our division.

"I think we showed it last year (2012) with what we were able to do against those teams. Even this year, playing Seattle the way we did at home, beating Arizona at home. We know we can do it. It's just a matter of getting to that point where we're playing consistent enough to do it."

The Rams went 4-1-1 against the NFC West in 2012. This past season the record was 1-5, but Bradford played in only two games against the West _ a victory over Arizona and a loss to San Francisco _ before suffering a season-ending knee injury in Game 7 against Carolina.

"I think Kellen did a great job," Bradford said, referring to backup quarterback Kellen Clemens, who started the final nine games following Bradford's injury. "Obviously that is not an easy situation to come into at all. Your first start being against Seattle on 'Monday Night Football' _ that's tough.

"And I thought he handled everything very well. Not just the on-the-field stuff. I thought he played tremendous, but just the way he carried himself in the locker room, the way he took over the offense and became a leader. I couldn't have been more proud of Kellen and the job he did this year."

Even though Bradford wasn't on the field to experience most of it first hand, he said he saw noticeable improvement over the final 12 games of the season after the team switched to a run-first approach on offense following the embarrassing 35-11 loss to San Francisco in Game 4.

"Oh absolutely," he said. "There's no doubt about it. When we started the 'new season' in Week 5, I think if you just look at what we were able to do from that point, and the mentality of this football team, you know it was completely changed."

After that disheartening loss to the 49ers dropped the Rams' record to 1-3, Fisher told the team _ in an effort to get their spirits up _ that those games were an extended preseason and the real season started in Game 5 against Jacksonville.

The Rams went 6-6 over the final 12 games, including resounding victories over AFC South champion Indianapolis, NFC wild-card team New Orleans, and playoff contender Chicago.

"The way that we were able to establish the run and get the running game going on offense, and then set up some of the play-action stuff," Bradford said. "I felt like our younger guys really came along, especially towards the end.

"You look at what Sted (Stedman Bailey) was able to do. You know, his role increased as the season went along. I think Tavon (Austin) became more comfortable, obviously before his injury.

"And Zac (Stacy) played tremendous, not only running the football but being able to come in and handle all the protections and being able to hold up on third down. That's not easy. That's tough on a young guy.

"So I definitely think that this football team made some strides and got better as the year went along."

Bradford doesn't think the Rams are that far off from being a legitimate playoff contender.

"I think we're close," he said. "Like I said earlier, I think it's a matter of us being more consistent and playing to our fullest potential each week, and not having those drops where we don't perform that way some weeks. But you look at some of our wins this year, some of the teams that we beat. Beat New Orleans who was a playoff team. Beat Indy who was a playoff team.

"So it's not far off. I think everyone saw that we have the talent to compete and to play with anyone. It's just a matter of us just finishing a few more games. I don't know how we do that, but we'll look at that in the offseason and figure out what we need to do. I think we're right there."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a turd. How dare he sound optimistic.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We ARE right there. Even though we play in what is obviously the best division in the NFL, we are going to see some changes in all the teams we face. In our case, I think we are definitely on the upswing. I think the whiners and shecocks are both peaking right now. Look for a flip flop of the West as soon as next season.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
They are so close yet so far away.

If they can fix the OL they are going to be good. I really think it all comes down to that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
"I think we're close," he said. "Like I said earlier, I think it's a matter of us being more consistent and playing to our fullest potential each week, and not having those drops where we don't perform that way some weeks.
Interesting choice of words Sam. :cool:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They are so close yet so far away.

If they can fix the OL they are going to be good. I really think it all comes down to that.
Yeah - I think that is where I would concentrate on right now. That and our defensive backfield.

The problem is we are always close, I've been following this team for 10 years now, I've seen one playoff win and we've always been close. "There's always next year".

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The problem is we are always close, I've been following this team for 10 years now, I've seen one playoff win and we've always been close. "There's always next year".

Been a fan for over 45 years. Maybe I'm just numb. But this has a different feel than I've seen in quite some time. Of course I may just be numb. Did I mention I may be numb?

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie

I feel for ya if you weren't around for the 70's, 80's or GSOT years. It was easy to be a fan when you got to watch the fearsome foursome, Dickerson, Faulk.....

Being a new fan in the last ten years would be hard to take. Nobody can call you fair weathered fans though and the payoff for you will be all the sweeter when they finally take the next step. Which is just around the corner! :bigup:

I feel for ya if you weren't around for the 70's, 80's or GSOT years. It was easy to be a fan when you got to watch the fearsome foursome, Dickerson, Faulk.....

Being a new fan in the last ten years would be hard to take. Nobody can call you fair weathered fans though and the payoff for you will be all the sweeter when they finally take the next step. Which is just around the corner! :bigup:

Agreed it will be super sweet, and thankfully I'm still young, I still have my physical health and I'm a Rams fan forever, I have another 40 or so years left in me yet. Hopefully it won't take that long. Although at this rate...

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Oh yah your a Ram fan for life for sure. It's like a curse that you can't get rid of....:lol:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Great piece. The Rams would've easily been over .500 with Sam. Idc what anyone says.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Been a fan for over 45 years. Maybe I'm just numb. But this has a different feel than I've seen in quite some time. Of course I may just be numb. Did I mention I may be numb?

The year after is really going to be it. 2015.

FA list

whiners
Frank Gore
Michael Crabtree
Aldon Smith
Mike Iupati
Glenn Dorsey
Jonathan Baldwin
Dan Skuta
C.J. Spillman
Colin Kaepernick
Adam Snyder
Raymond Ventrone
David Reed
Chris Culliver
Kendall Hunter
Daniel Kilgore
Bruce Miller

seaqueers
Sidney Rice
Russell Okung
Marshawn Lynch
Zach Miller
Brandon Mebane
Bruce Irvin
Jon Ryan
Bobby Wagner
Russell Wilson
Robert Turbin
Jeremy Lane
J.R. Sweezy
Greg Scruggs

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Y'bit you've only been following the Kroenke Rams for three years the Georgia /Shaw regime degenerated during those other 7 years and coasted off the glory of the GSOT milked the profits and aren't worth lumping in with this new regime,so take heart R&G your loyalty is soon to be rewarded.

RFIP

I get even more inspired when I hear this type of optimism from the teams leader! Sam IS the man! Can not wait to see him back on the field in 2014!

fearsomefour

Legend

Beg to differ. The Rams are closer now than they have been since Bulger was spinning around and taking sacks vs. Carolina in the playoffs. The Rams were terrible the last bit in LA, were terrible the first bit in St. Louis, had a magical short run then have been terrible up to last year. They are competitive now. But, now find themselves in the best division in football. The sad thing is it was considered the worst division in football a few years ago. The Rams are close to being able to compete for their division, which is to say the NFC. Will they get there? Who knows? But it has been, minus a short great run, a horror show for the better part of 2 1/2 decades.

Beg to differ. The Rams are closer now than they have been since Bulger was spinning around and taking sacks vs. Carolina in the playoffs. The Rams were terrible the last bit in LA, were terrible the first bit in St. Louis, had a magical short run then have been terrible up to last year. They are competitive now. But, now find themselves in the best division in football. The sad thing is it was considered the worst division in football a few years ago. The Rams are close to being able to compete for their division, which is to say the NFC. Will they get there? Who knows? But it has been, minus a short great run, a horror show for the better part of 2 1/2 decades.

I wasn't on this (or any board) at that point but what was the view on the morning of April 23rd 2010 (the day after drafting Sam) that 2014 would be our year?
What was the feeling on the morning of January 3rd 2011 (the day after going 7-9 and losing to Seattle) that 2014 would be our year?
What was the feeling on March 13th 2012 (the day after the RGIII trade) that given all our high picks we should be 6 games off the pace in the NFC West come 2013 and that 2014 would be our year?
What was the feeling after going 7-8-1 and 4-1-1 in our division in 2012, that 2014 would be our year?

That's just the last 4 years but I'd wager that on each of those days the feeling was "We're close". And that's great, that's why we're fans, that's why we keep on coming back.