Boston Herald on Amendola & Patriots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
A little more clarity on the situation surrounding Rams WR Danny Amendola (Update: No visit planned)

It was noted earlier that Rams receiver Danny Amendola, a restricted free agent tendered at a second-round tender, was in town recently. In fact, he hung out at the Faneuil Hall bar “The Place” last night.

Wanted to add some clarity to what we know…

– Amendola does have relatives in the area. His grandma, for instance, works in Scituate. And he is related to the Stewart family in the same town. His brother was also in town. Which leads me to…

– ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss reported that there was a death in Amendola’s family, which may be why he’s in town. His agent Erik Burkhardt wouldn’t say that, though. Early, he said he wouldn’t comment on visits. There is still intrigue, and the thought that the Patriots are interested.

[Updated at 2:16 p.m.] — Colleague Karen Guregian tweeted that Amendola has no plans to meet with the Patriots. He is headed to a family funeral in Maine, and he has relatives in Scituate, Brockton and Maine. So, much ado about not much, according to someone close to Amendola.

– The suggestion, somewhat crazy, was made on Twitter that the Patriots are interested in trading Wes Welker and signing Amendola. Fulfilling my duty to chase everything, I brought this up to a Patriots source. The response was “nice try.” So, that seems to mean no.

– On the other hand, Welker is in a holding pattern with contract negotiations with the Patriots. Perhaps bringing in Amendola and Colts WR Anthony Gonzalez is, as was suggestion to me, head games. Maybe. The Patriots do play them sometimes. But not recklessly. This will be interesting.