Boras + Groh: Does that equal 300 yards a game passing?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What should the passing offense yards per game (ypg) average?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
HAahahha..Not 300 yards a game, but lets say 250 yards....Not too much in this new NFL. We need almost 400 total yards a game...that should be the goal.
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...n-rob-boras-mike-groh-to-improve-passing-game

Rams counting on Rob Boras, Mike Groh to improve passing game
The Los Angeles Rams are moving closer to the beginning of the final phase of the offseason conditioning program. That would be the time when all players can come together on a field and go through full-squad practices (with some limitations, of course): organized team activities.

The Rams' first OTA is set for May 31 at their current temporary training facility in Oxnard, Calif. Before we get there, we're counting down five of the questions we'll look to get answered when the Rams get going again:

The question: The Rams made some changes to the coaching staff in the offseason, bringing in Mike Groh as passing-game coordinator and officially promoting Rob Boras to offensive coordinator. Will there be changes to the offense and what wrinkles should that pair be adding to improve one of the worst passing games in the league last year?

Outlook: By now, it's no secret that the Rams had the least-effective passing attack in the NFL in 2015. They finished last in the league in passing yards, passing touchdowns and QBR. Entering the offseason, it didn't take a genius to figure out that they had to do something about it. Fans knew it, players knew it and, most of all, the team knew it. So they made the biggest move of all in an effort to turn things around, trading up from No. 15 to No. 1 to land quarterbackJared Goff. But while that move made most of the headlines, there were also a couple of coaching changes that the Rams hope will help jump start things.

First, they officially promoted Rob Boras to offensive coordinator after he held that role for the final four games of last season. Boras' move up didn't result in any major step forward for the passing game but the offense did seem to have at least a little bit more success under his guidance and Case Keenum played his best game against Tampa Bay with Boras calling the shots. Now that he's got the job full-time, Boras has had a full offseason to add more of his own concepts to the offense. This round of OTAs will give Boras and the Rams a chance to begin installing his offense, which will still focus on running back Todd Gurley but the Rams hope will be more balanced in 2016.

While Boras is in charge of the offense, the Rams brought on some help in an effort to expand their passing game. The Rams hired former Chicago Bears receiver coach Mike Groh to take on that role and become the new passing-game coordinator. In Chicago, Groh worked with new Dolphins coach Adam Gase, who comes from the Mike Martz coaching tree. That means Groh brings a much better understanding of a wide-open attack that works to create favorable matchups across the board. Beyond the additional passing concepts Groh brings to the table, he could also be helpful in developing the team's underachieving receiving corps. That's one area the Rams didn't address this offseason aside from some late-round draft picks, so any improvement in that area will have to come from in-house. Perhaps Groh's past success with the likes of Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall will help players like Tavon Austin, Brian Quick and others reach their potential.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I think Goff can average 250+ a game in his sleep assuming his WRs aren't dropping a bunch of balls

Todd59

Rookie
I just can't see Goff being a 4000+ yard passer. 200+ a game sounds about right, especially with a heavy run game being predominately featured.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Love Rob Boras and the addition of Mike Groh might be one of the under the radar moves that many pundits will be talking about come October/November.
rob-boras-15-2.jpg
600x400-Groh-AP_326018541715.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I got the feeling the writer doesn't even know who our late rounders were. I'm not saying he should be gushing over them but I can't help but think if he knew who they were, they'd be in the article. Do these guys ever do research or do they just watch ESPN and scribble down some stuff. Hell - even watching ESPN you would know that many people see some pretty bright upside to Cooper, Higbee, Hemmingway, and Thomas.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW - I'm thinking Goff averages 250+ this season and 300+ is not out of reach. But I voted for the booty thread even though I didn't check to see if you added anything yesterday. Guess I better look. Y'know... for moderation reasons of course.:whistle:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
but lets say 250 yards....Not too much in this new NFL. We need almost 400 total yards a game...that should be the goal.
This^ is the way I see it! 250+ Passing average, and a 150+ rushing average per game. AND Scoring an average of 26 points per game should get us to the Play-Off's!!(y):D:yess:

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
I can see Goff averaging around 225/ypg. If Gurley and whoever comes in to spell him (including Tavon) can average 150/ypg, that's 375/ypg. With our opportunistic defense, that should be more than enough to crack double digit wins by the end of the season.

I'm more concerned about points than yards; I think we lost only 1 game last season in which we scored more than 15 points (against Minnesota, I believe). That's incredible.

Pound the rock, play good defense and let Goff shred the opposition with play action passes.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
300 ypg ends up being 4800 yards a year. That's Drew Brees territory and would be a rookie record.

However, Goff is used to throwing for some gaudy stats. So 4000 yards and 25 touchdowns this year wouldn't surprise me. Jameis Winston did it so why not Jared Goff?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
BTW - I'm thinking Goff averages 250+ this season and 300+ is not out of reach. But I voted for the booty thread even though I didn't check to see if you added anything yesterday. Guess I better look. Y'know... for moderation reasons of course.:whistle:
I need to check the thread out, just to form an informed opinion of course!:shades:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
13 teams averaged more than 250 yds/game last season and only a few of those were elite teams.
Arizona, Pittsburgh, New England.

250 yds/gm would be a nice mark for the Rams when you combine that with Gurley, excellent defense and special teams.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I imagine a sweet spot of passing is between 200-250 yards per game. If Goff is passing more than that his rookie year, it probably means we had trouble in the running game or on defense. And that I don't want.

Psycho_X

Legend
We averaged something ridiculous like 180 yards a game last season. 250 yards a game would be freaking wonderful even though, statistically speaking, it still be below average. Only the best offenses in the NFL average over 300 every season. 275 is more of a statistical line that we'd probably like to get to. If we can get over 250 yards a game next season I'd call the Goff experiment a success probably. If we can get to 275 yards a game we got ourselves a miracle worker at QB.

edit: but what others have said already.... I'm more worried about points/game than yards. But the yards would definitely help the points part more than likely.

…..

Legend
Gurley left, Gurly right, Goff short pass over the middle. Throw in the occasional 300+ yard game when we're playing from behind, and that equals 236 yards a game.(y)

Ram65

Legend
I'm not much for game averages here for Goff. I voted 250 but, would look at each game. See how the defenses are playing the Rams and what team defense the Rams are facing. One little successful bubble screen to Tavon could skew the numbers. Let's see how he plays in the context of the opponent and the game situation.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol...250 yards per game would be 4,000 yards passing. No way we get there IMO.

200-225 is probably where we will fall

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
He will have a lot of chances to throw the ball because I think the defense is finally going to be top 5 in all stats. Its not about yard totals, 300 yards a game would put him towards the top of league and I don't think he's doing that his rookie year, If he can be somewhere in the middle of the NFL in YPG and throw 20-25 TD's this team will in the playoff run. It all depends on how the o line blocks for him and if Gurley and Tavon can scare the defense to make play action work.