Big Three Issues require Attention

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I didn't see the Long signing as a necessity at all. The OL needed help, but we had an LT (though Saffold had durability issues).

It was more that they thought they were getting a big upgrade. And so far... no. I'd actually be surprised if Long is here next year, given that his contract was structured so that this season is fully guaranteed, but he can be cut next year with only $1.5 million in dead money.
I think it was due to the fact that Saffolds durability playing tackle had been an issue.
Also, the opportunity to acquire a probowl left tackle was too good to pass up. At the time.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I think it was due to the fact that Saffolds durability playing tackle had been an issue.
Also, the opportunity to acquire a probowl left tackle was too good to pass up. At the time.
Everything I heard at the time says it was mainly the latter.

Still struck me as trying to repair a leaky boat and spending times on parts of it that aren't leaking rather than parts there are... especially after then turning around and drafting another tackle who is currently demonstrating elite pine riding skills.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agreed.
The jury is still out on that decision.
I don't remember that. Link? Did Snead state they had trade discussions with Dallas? What was offered?
I agree that they know it is an issue. The question remains whether they have the ability to fix it.
Brown, Smith, Goldberg....Efforts have been made to upgrade the Oline. The Long signing carried some risk but improved two spots (with Saffold moving to RT), Wells being signed made sense and was an upgrade. The only concern with him was ago and injury....both issues have come to be. Wells has struggled with guys over him this year....SF and AZ will present him issues.
There has been investment in the line and the O line coach is well respected and has worked a few wonders. It is not lack of attention, investment or neglect with the line.
Many of the pressures in the first half vs the Eagles were from blitzers coming unblocked. Scheme maybe, maybe RB not picking it up or the young QB and receivers not always reading it the same way.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I was expecting the D to slide a bit, for sure in the beginning of the season.
Just not this far. Anytime a D has to learn a new system, they slide for a while in production. They just do.
Having said that, I disagree with Williams' and Fisher's philosophy on D - making it so complicated.
IMHO with the need to churn your roster so often, with so many players, I think you need to chose systems that are less complicated
I'm not saying to simply play vanilla, just not as complicated as I understand Williams' system is. JMHO.