Bernie: Rams need to improve on defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: Rams need to improve on defense
• Bernie Miklasz •

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_c559743c-7197-51f2-bf32-32938016689e.html

For years now, offense has been the primary obsession with Rams football. From Air Coryell to the Greatest Show on Turf, we loved daring and accurate quarterbacks, big-play receivers, elusive running backs and sudden flurries of points.

We used to celebrate a good-times offense in St. Louis.

Now we’re just searching for one.

A football town where Mel Gray, Jackie Smith, Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt once ran free and wild to pull in passes behind overwhelmed cornerbacks has been reduced to getting frothed over the addition of career-knucklehead wide receiver Kenny Britt.

We engage in endless screeching over the merits of quarterback Sam Bradford, take cheap shots at easy-target offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and wonder if coach Jeff Fisher will ever disavow his inner Bronko Nagurski.

If you’ll excuse me from the same old Rams talk, I’d like to look at another area of the team that failed to perform at a playoff-caliber level in recent seasons.

That would be the Rams’ defense.

Yes, thanks to Robert Quinn and the ravenous front four, the Rams’ defense finished third in the NFL with 53 sacks in 2013. But Quinn’s superb 19-sack season and a steady, disruptive surge of pressure on opposing quarterbacks concealed the unit’s weaknesses. The Rams’ defense ranked near the bottom of the 32-team league in too many important categories.

The Rams gave up a league-worst 8.06 yards per passing attempt and couldn’t get off the field with enough frequency. Despite having a ferocious pass rush, the Rams ranked 18th in stopping opponents on third down.

The Rams didn’t blitz enough, which was probably a good thing. They weren’t effective at it, getting ripped by quarterbacks for 10 touchdowns and a 100.8 passer rating when sending extra pass rushers.

The Rams gave up more touchdowns (15) and points (125) on drives lasting five minutes or longer than any NFL team. And 21.1 percent of the possessions against the Rams’ defense ended in a touchdown; that ranked 21st.

The Rams’ defense allowed 327 points last season. That doesn’t include points produced when the other team scored on takeaways or special teams. Defense, only.

The 12 teams that made the 2013 playoffs allowed an average of 305 points on defense. The Rams have designs on catching up to Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona in the NFC West. And while the challenge of that mission is almost always tied to the Rams’ offense, it’s also up to the defense to make up some of the ground.

Here’s the points-allowed totals (and league ranking) for each NFC West defense last season:

• Seattle, 217 points, No. 2.

• San Francisco, 270 points, No. 3.

• Arizona, 315 points, No. 8.

• St. Louis, 327 points, tied for No. 13.

I’m not saying the Rams’ defense is awful. There’s a lot to like here. NFL analyst Mike Tanier just wrote a piece and offered the opinion that the Rams have the NFL’s best front seven going into 2014.

I should also point out that the Rams’ defense would clearly benefit from a more potent Rams offense. Imagine the sacks that Quinn and his mates could rack up if they were given the chance to protect more leads during games.

And the Rams’ secondary was chewed up by injuries in 2013. That said, the defense has room for growth and improvement.

That’s where new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams comes in.

Other than No. 2 overall draft pick Greg Robinson, I don’t believe the Rams made a more valuable offseason addition than Williams. And ultimately — despite the soap-opera aspect to the hiring — Fisher made a wise decision to put Williams back in charge of the team’s defense.

Williams’ creativity and fondness for playing an aggressive, attacking style seem to be an ideal fit for the Rams’ talent.

As respected NFL analyst Bucky Brooks wrote recently at NFL.com: “This appears to be the perfect marriage of coach and personnel, the type of development that could make the Rams a dark-horse contender in the NFC West — and beyond.”

Williams isn’t perfect. Though his overall record as an NFL defensive coordinator is impressive, he’s had some clunker defenses along the way.

But the Rams will be going from working for an inexperienced coordinator (the departed Tim Walton) to being guided by one of the most heralded defensive strategists in NFL history.

I know this much: Williams won’t have his players just sitting there, getting picked apart for easy pass completions. He’ll line up his defenses in multiple looks to confuse and frustrate quarterbacks. The Rams won’t be passive or predictable.

“We’re going to probably be a little more creative,” Fisher said. “We hope to create some more problems, different types of problems for offenses. In addition to Gregg running the defense, our defense is significantly better just from a personnel standpoint right now.”

The Rams drafted six defensive players last month, including first-round tackle Aaron Donald, cornerback Lamarcus Joyner and safety Mo Alexander. They’ll join some other promising young defenders, including linebacker Alec Ogletree and safety T.J. McDonald. I can’t wait to see what Williams does with Ogletree and McDonald; he’ll be turning those guys loose from all angles.

The Williams attitude is already noticeable in the Rams’ organized team activities. Fisher has broken up a few scuffles.

“You can see the change,” Fisher said after Tuesday’s practice. “You can see the energy. I’ve had to back (Williams) down just a little bit.”

Williams is undoubtedly eager to redeem himself after his role in the New Orleans “Bountygate” scandal that resulted in his one-season NFL suspension in 2012.

Williams is hungry. His players are hungry. It’s a combustible mix. And unless you play quarterback for a Rams opponent, it should be a lot of fun.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
There was a "No Bernie articles" rule put in here a while back.

No blue font here. It's actually a rule now. He pisses off too many people here.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Good read. Thanks. I realize there is a no Bernie rule but Phx has always said that if the guy starts toning down the vitriol toward the organization, he is welcome back here. This was a pretty good piece IMO.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Good read. Thanks. I realize there is a no Bernie rule but Phx has always said that if the guy starts toning down the vitriol toward the organization, he is welcome back here. This was a pretty good piece IMO.
I missed that part of it.... now I know! And...

20070402_gijoeBig.jpg

SierraRam

Recreational User
I knew our secondary sucked, but those stats are shocking. How many heatbreaking 1st downs did we give up? We never could get off the field. GW knows what we have up front, and those 5-10 yard slants are history. All we have to do is cover for 3 seconds, yet Walton gave away the only WR route available. Insanity

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I missed that part of it.... now I know! And...

20070402_gijoeBig.jpg
Yeah - it may have been more just in passing that a few of us talked about it but the main gripe with Bernie seemed to be that he was constantly finding new (or old) angles to rip the organization rather than actually write pieces Rams fans would be interested in instead of just getting pissed. Of course Phx could come in and just delete the thread so there's that. In the mean time, I thought it was finally a good piece written by ole Bern and I don't think it is any secret how I have felt about him for the past few years.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I knew our secondary sucked, but those stats are shocking. How many heatbreaking 1st downs did we give up? We never could get off the field. GW knows what we have up front, and those 5-10 yard slants are history. All we have to do is cover for 3 seconds, yet Walton gave away the only WR route available. Insanity
No doubt. Onward and upward. I think we have more talent now AND we have a DC that knows how to fuck with offenses. Gonna be fun to watch.

That's both a positive and negative imo, we sucked at covering the pass and yet still had a very good D, become average at covering the pass and all of a sudden you have an elite D.

RamzFanz

Damnit
"career-knucklehead wide receiver Kenny Britt" has nothing on career-knucklehead Bernie. At least Britt has a chance at greatness. Bernie has a chance at being banned from all Rams forums.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Didn't the last 9 games look like this: 7.1 yards per pass given up? Or was it 7.7
I think focusing on the last 9 games tells us more about this defense....from last year's perspective

Didn't the last 9 games look like this: 7.1 yards per pass given up? Or was it 7.7
I think focusing on the last 9 games tells us more about this defense....from last year's perspective

All season: 3.7 yards per rush 2nd in NFL
Last 12 games: 3.4 yards per rush would be first in NFL. 243 points conceded, would be 7th in NFL projected over a full season, 37 of those points were either conceded by the O or were on drives starting in our own red zone. First in NFL in turn overs per drive.
Our passing D was poor all season though.

RamzFanz

Damnit
All season: 3.7 yards per rush 2nd in NFL
Last 12 games: 3.4 yards per rush would be first in NFL. 243 points conceded, would be 7th in NFL projected over a full season, 37 of those points were either conceded by the O or were on drives starting in our own red zone. First in NFL in turn overs per drive.
Our passing D was poor all season though.

They won't be this season. No more soft BS. With that pass rush, our coverage will be jumping short routes all day I say!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good article and quite frankly never had much of an issue with Bernie, but do concur he seems to dwell on the negative, but we should be able to handle it because we are Ram fans, it's not like we root for the San Francisco 49ers or the New England Patriots.

The issue with Bernie is he's always late to the party. All of us realize that Gregg Williams was an excellent hire and many of us have posted it ranked up there as the best move in the off season. Tim Walton was clearly not ready, but during last season, it would have been prudent if Miklasz and others actually interviewed him or tried to find out the true story of Fisher taking over the defense.

I realize sometimes teams protect their coordinators, but IMO that is something they should have written about more last season. And when Gregg Williams was in town I was shocked nobody wrote about it. I realize Williams is friends with Mike Shannon who was hosting an event, but if I was Miklasz I would have tweeted... "Gregg Williams is in St. Louis and available, if I'm Tim Walton I'd be nervous." It was not that hard to connect the dots, but Bernie & others were sleeping at the wheel.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to ask myself if Walton had a potential top 10 defense in personnel but didn't know how to get it out of the players? Maybe afraid to make mistakes and never put his foot down hard on the gas. That's a possibility. Williams will squeeze every ounce of talent out of these guys. Even the early reputation of the Rams defense is off the chart in terms of being someone you don't want to play.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd rather lose a few battles being aggressive as opposed to watching last years version getting pecked away at.

PhxRam

The Bernie ban has been lifted until he decides to start spewing garbage again.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Bernie ban has been lifted until he decides to start spewing garbage again.

Thanks PhxRam... Sorry about the post...when I posted this I had forgotten about the ban. They've been charging for Bernie's articles lately so I haven't even been reading him for a few weeks.