Before The Draft...there Is Fa

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think the teams are the ones who prefer it the other way. It allows them to pool their personnel resources into the draft in April because free agency is done for the most part. Plus, I honestly think they prefer to know what needs to be filled and what doesn't going into the draft rather than having to wait until free agency. It allows them to be less desperate with free agents in negotiations.

What's worse? Making a mistake in free agency or in the draft? I'd argue the draft. It's a team's lifeblood. If you miss on a premium pick, your team is set back years. If teams force picks because they need the position, they will get bit. In the current system, teams run into this problem all the time. The draft is that team's last chance to fill their remaining holes. One could simply say just take BPA but teams can't help themselves. You see it every year. I don't think resources are the issue with the order of how things are done currently. Heck, they've already done the reverse before and it seemed fine. I even heard some saying they preferred it that way.

Either way, it doesn't matter because it's not changing.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Byrd and save the rest to sign our own if we like them unless it's a great or small deal.

But they might think it would be easier to get a very good FS in the draft than a player from a different position. Like a guard they like. We don't know.

Not that I wouldn't love to see Byrd here, but I will pass on a little insight on the organizations philosophy I got firsthand from Demoff. They don't view the Safety position as one of high priority when it comes to pursuing high priced Free Agents. In this scheme, they just don't place a high value on the position. So, based on those comments (made last spring), I highly doubt we will see them in the Jarius Byrd sweepstakes.

On the other hand, I fully expect to see them exploring every option at CB. Verner seems likes an obvious target.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not that I wouldn't love to see Byrd here, but I will pass on a little insight on the organizations philosophy I got firsthand from Demoff. They don't view the Safety position as one of high priority when it comes to pursuing high priced Free Agents. In this scheme, they just don't place a high value on the position. So, based on those comments (made last spring), I highly doubt we will see them in the Jarius Byrd sweepstakes.

On the other hand, I fully expect to see them exploring every option at CB. Verner seems likes an obvious target.
I remember this and is why I don't expect Byrd to be targeted...I hope they try and upgrade somehow, but just don't think it'll be a high draft pick or a big name free agent.

Alan

Legend
CoachO adding his insight:
They don't view the Safety position as one of high priority when it comes to pursuing high priced Free Agents. In this scheme, they just don't place a high value on the position. So, based on those comments (made last spring), I highly doubt we will see them in the Jarius Byrd sweepstakes.
Good to know Coach.

I really don't care which way they choose to fill the gaping hole at FS as long as they do fill it. My problem with them going after a CB in FA is one of cost. I think a FS is much cheaper than a CB especially if they're good players. We're up against the CAP limit already and I really don't see how they can fit a quality CB in. If anyone can do it Demoff's the man.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Good to know Coach.

I really don't care which way they choose to fill the gaping hole at FS as long as they do fill it. My problem with them going after a CB in FA is one of cost. I think a FS is much cheaper than a CB especially if they're good players. We're up against the CAP limit already and I really don't see how they can fit a quality CB in. If anyone can do it Demoff's the man.

Not that I directing this at you per se, but I really don't understand all of the so called "capologists" who continue to say they don't have the $$$ to go get player A, or can't afford player B. Demoff is as good as anyone at manipulating the cap, to make sure they have what they need when they target a player.

For me, its more a case of them placing a value on each position, and only spending up to that value. People like to say they couldn't afford to keep Mikell, last year, but to me, it just confirms what I mentioned in my previous post. They just don't place a high value on the Safety position, and they were not going to overspend just to keep him here.

They will allocate so much for each position, and will find resources to fill the units which are short, and find ways to cut areas where they are overloaded.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Good info Coach. Didn't you mention something about that during training camp?

I also agree with what you said about Demoff. I remember early on, all the cap posts about how we couldn't afford to be in both the Jake Long and Jared Cook sweepstakes. And yet?

It will be interesting to see who the Rams go after - especially in that, unlike with previous regimes - we have a good chance of landing our target(s).

Alan

Legend
CoachO refining his earlier post:
Not that I directing this at you per se, but I really don't understand all of the so called "capologists" who continue to say they don't have the $$$ to go get player A, or can't afford player B. Demoff is as good as anyone at manipulating the cap, to make sure they have what they need when they target a player.
I agree with that. Sorta. I share your admiration for Demoff but you can't get blood from a turnip. Or is it a rock?

I forget the amount he mentioned but in an interview Demoff said that they needed/should have/desired (I forget how he put it) a certain amount of wiggle room going into the season. He wasn't able to achieve that and it bit us in the ass during the season. We recovered from that but it's telling that emergency measures were required.

Posters talk about the cap savings available by cutting some players while at the same time forgetting that the CAP hit increase for many of our players will take most of that away. Check out my CAP post and you'll understand why many here are apprehensive about our CAP situation.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Good info Coach. Didn't you mention something about that during training camp?

I also agree with what you said about Demoff. I remember early on, all the cap posts about how we couldn't afford to be in both the Jake Long and Jared Cook sweepstakes. And yet?

It will be interesting to see who the Rams go after - especially in that, unlike with previous regimes - we have a good chance of landing our target(s).

Yes I did mention this earlier in the year. He said this actually during one of the Season Ticket luncheons I attended last winter. I am always amazed at his candidness when discussing these sort of topics. Now obviously, he does a great job of tap dancing the lease issue, but has always been forthcoming in giving HIS opinions on quite a few issues that are brought up at these functions. I attended 3 of them last year, and always find him to be very open and honest (as much as he can be)

As to the FA, I think they make a run at the CB position, and IF they are looking to add to the WR mix, I would love to see them entertain exploring Jeremy Maclin. Veteran presence, with an impeccable work ethic. Yes, he is coming off yet another knee injury, which might just make the asking price reasonable.

But this kid was stronger and faster after recovering from his first knee injury while at Mizzou. No reason to think he wont come back from this one.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Not bad...but if you are going to draft Sammy Watkins..who gets replaced?? :)
Oh I think you let it shake out...seems in this instance it would be Pettis.

But this is why I am saying we need to see what happens in Free Agency before we start making our big bold predictions and wish lists for the draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think I find myself more in line with Jrry's list. No big splash like Bryd, but some solid guys a tier down.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
So what if Demoff/Snead find away to get some cash (cut Finnegan, Dahl, Wells)...sign Alex Mack, resign Saffold...and the plan is to go with Long (once healthy), Jones, Mack, Saffold, Barksdale?

Looks like a pretty good line IMO...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what if Demoff/Snead find away to get some cash (cut Finnegan, Dahl, Wells)...sign Alex Mack, resign Saffold...and the plan is to go with Long (once healthy), Jones, Mack, Saffold, Barksdale?

Looks like a pretty good line IMO...

No depth, though. :wink:

Alan

Legend
Exactly my thought jrry.

You know I'm actually getting used to spelling jerry without an e. You may have screwed me up for the rest of my life. :lol: I hope you're happy now! :frown: