Balzer: Rams Drafted DE Michael Sam In 2014 To Avoid Hard Knocks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramatik

Starter
We (this site) is being a bit naive to thing the Rams/NFL would not have a quid pro quo. You scratch my back I'll scratch..... Ram's do not want to do Hard Knocks at the time( plenty of stories in local and national media saying they did not want to do Hard Knocks this or any year that they were eligible) and NFL wants to be seen as open and inclusive on gay issues. Not inconceivable that either would approach other.

To those of you who think he is just not true because Fisher said lets make history proves that there was not tit for tat think again and are underestimating the ability of the NFL to spin things to their benefit. If you are going to do something like this you need deniability/the appearance of credibility.

Blazer is not a fly by not bait seeking internet troll. Dudes has credentials and sources. In terms of the Carson selection he was right that the committee did select Carson. The 32 owners did not.

Howard Balzer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Howard Balzer is in his 39th year covering professional football as a writer, editor and broadcaster. His connection with pro football began in 1976 with College and Pro Football Newsweekly, and since then he has been a featured columnist for The Sporting News, Pro Football Weekly, USA Today Sports Weekly and The Sports Xchange. His work can now be seen locally on foxsportsmidwest.com.

Balzer came to St. Louis in 1978 to work for The Sporting News, where he became Pro Football Editor in 1979. He was an analyst on ESPN's initial broadcast of the NFL Draft in 1980, and continued in that role through 1988. He has won six writing awards in the Professional Football Writers of America competition, won an Emmy for commentaries on KPLR-TV in St. Louis in 1986 and was nominated for an Emmy in 1988 and 1990. Balzer has been an officer (secretary and secretary/treasurer) for the Professional Football Writers of America since 1986 and was inducted into the St. Louis Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in 2010.

Currently, in addition to his work with The Sports Xchange, USA Today Sports Weekly and foxsportsmidwest.com, Balzer is the senior editor for Lindy's pro football magazine, a position he has held since 1992, and a talk-show host for FoxSports Radio 1490 in St. Louis and SiriusXM NFL Radio. He is also one of 46 voting members on the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee and also votes for the Baseball Hall of Fame. He has been a fixture on sports-talk radio in St. Louis since 1979 save for an 18-month stint as co-host of a nationally syndicated sports show on the Las Vegas-based Sports Fan Radio Network from January, 1994 to June, 1995.

A 1974 graduate of Hofstra University, Balzer was the sports information director at the school while a student and after graduation worked as director of public relations for the National Wheelchair Athletic Association, director of public relations and promotions for the Long Island Tomahawks of the National Lacrosse League and director of public relations for the Continental Basketball Association.

Prior to leaving New York for St. Louis in 1978, he was the play-by-play typist for all basketball games at New York's Madison Square Garden.

He is also no stranger to indoor football. In 1986, while with The Sporting News, he wrote the first published story on the sport after a demonstration game in Rockford, Ill. Balzer did national broadcasts for Arena Football from 1988–91 and was part of the television broadcast team for several years for the St. Charles-based River City Rage and Renegades. He was also the public relations director for the Arena Football League in 1993.

In the community, Balzer is currently a part of the unique Celebrity Karaoke event that has existed for 10 years and currently raises money for The Adoption Exchange. He was also on the original board for the Ronald McDonald House in St. Louis and was a longtime committee member for the Gateway Chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.​

Yes, I live in the St louis area. No, I do not think this is indicative of his bitterness.

Howard Balzer has no credibility. Dude is a prick. He's a bitter troll baiting masturbator.

Eff' Him.

In the eye.

This is a dumb article. Yeah, the NFL would like to see him get drafted so they don't have to hear the b.s. about him not getting drafted. Yes, the Rams drafted him. But ask yourself, why would Goodell ask Fisher? Why wouldn't he ask his buddy Kraft? Really, it wouldn't be all that of a big deal.

The Rams already had Defensive linemen that were actually talented.

Sam couldn't even stick with the Canadian League. Yeah, maybe Fish or somebody on the staff said "Let's give it a shot, maybe we'll get lucky". And maybe they did tell the NFL, "Hey, we drafted Sam, so cut us some slack on Hard Knocks. 'We'll do that when we move to L.A."

But this crap the way that Balzer tries to make it into this big conspiracy theory?

Bite me.

Ramatik

Starter
If this is true then the Ram officials that made this deal need to fired. Total embarrassment if true. The Rams are now the laughing stock of not only the league but entire sports world. This is the last thing the Rams needed. And thanks Goodell the fool.

Anybody that is laughing at the Rams over this is an overly sensitive @#$%!.

This is a non story.

About a guy who actually got a shot, and couldn't make it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
He's probably just upset that while Silver was in the room doing real reporting he was in his basement playing pretend. Stick to the Cards, Howard, I'm sick of hearin ya.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lucy, I have a strong inclination to tink dat Balsack would have repurted it dee udder way, if we was on dee Hard Knocks, da year we drafted him.

61648633.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Actually I was more worried that Michael Sam was drafted for politically correct reasons, which would have ticked me off far more.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I went up to the tool counter to ask if they had any Balzers. Guy looked at me sideways. "Here, last one. You can have it. It just screws up stories."

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Considering that many thought getting Sam in the 7th rnd was a steal.
This is complete bs.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
What's next from Balzer and the rest of the "there's nothing to report this time of year and btw we're still mad about the Rams moving" gang? Here's one of them in action.

GIF-Gorilla-Attack.gif

LOL, I hear ya, but we are on the cusp of another Stl Cardinals season, so there is plenty to talk about in the area. Normally, baseball dominates this part of the year followed by the Rams and the draft, but now that the Rams are gone it seems as though hockey has taken their place. UGH. No offense to hockey fans, btw.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
...so I took my new tool and said, "Balzer, write me a story." But my tool just screwed it up.

I tried to take back that tool. But the guy looked at me sideways again. "no returns. Tools all yours."

Balzer. Freakin' tool.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If Kroenke didnt want the Rams to be on Hard knocks since he took over as owner Godell would have been on board as well. He would have felt waiting till the Rams moved was the best option. No need to use a player drafted as an excuse. This is just dumb click-bate bs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But he has sources. SOURCES I TELL YA!

Here are some stories leaked by some of the other reputable sources in years past.

Terrell Owens to sign with Rams per source close to the situation.
Sources say Donovan McNabb will be in a Rams uniform by the end of the week.
A source close to the Rams says Johnny Manziel "a lock" to be taken at #2
Sources say Rams discussed signing Tim Tebow after Bradford injury

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If this is true then the Ram officials that made this deal need to fired. Total embarrassment if true. The Rams are now the laughing stock of not only the league but entire sports world. This is the last thing the Rams needed. And thanks Goodell the fool.
GTFO - Let's not get overly dramatic about this. Also, the Rams being the laughing stock of the entire sports world? Get a grip.

Haha that Florio report was comically bad. He just mixed together a bunch of words and said absolutely nothing.
So.... pretty much like everything else he puts out.

Anybody that is laughing at the Rams over this is an overly sensitive @#$%!.

This is a non story.

About a guy who actually got a shot, and couldn't make it.
Even in the CFL. Co-defensive player of the year. Should have been a steal in the 7th - especially if he could play anywhere near the level of the drama surrounding his ass.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Kroenke didnt want the Rams to be on Hard knocks since he took over as owner Godell would have been on board as well. He would have felt waiting till the Rams moved was the best option. No need to use a player drafted as an excuse. This is just dumb click-bate bs.
Plus this plays against what we hear Kroenke is all about. HardKnocks is more advertising for his product for free which drives up revenues which we all know is good.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sounds like a forced move by the NFL:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap2...louis-rams-embrace-michael-sam-an-inside-look

In the immediate aftermath, there was confusion, followed by a surreal, What the hell just happened? sinking in of the act's significance -- and, eventually, sincere celebration.

There was also something else buzzing through that room: A sort of awed appreciation for Fisher, the magnificently mustached face of the organization, and the man who made the seemingly spontaneous decision to alter both its national perception and its workplace environment without a shred of hesitation or fear.

As Fisher felt the love from virtually everyone in his midst, exchanging fist bumps and accepting congratulations, one of his younger employees put it thusly: "Such a pimp move. It was, Guess what I'm gonna do? Whatever the (expletive) I want. In the world today, it's truly impressive. That's what makes him the best guy to work for, and why so many of us would kill for the guy. It's very simple: Trust The 'Stache. It's big and powerful for a reason."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like a forced move by the NFL:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap2...louis-rams-embrace-michael-sam-an-inside-look

In the immediate aftermath, there was confusion, followed by a surreal, What the hell just happened? sinking in of the act's significance -- and, eventually, sincere celebration.

There was also something else buzzing through that room: A sort of awed appreciation for Fisher, the magnificently mustached face of the organization, and the man who made the seemingly spontaneous decision to alter both its national perception and its workplace environment without a shred of hesitation or fear.

As Fisher felt the love from virtually everyone in his midst, exchanging fist bumps and accepting congratulations, one of his younger employees put it thusly: "Such a pimp move. It was, Guess what I'm gonna do? Whatever the (expletive) I want. In the world today, it's truly impressive. That's what makes him the best guy to work for, and why so many of us would kill for the guy. It's very simple: Trust The 'Stache. It's big and powerful for a reason."

Man i hate that shit, the way the media overblew the whole gay thing like some momentous occasion. I reckon the only people that gave a shit about it was them. I'm sure there have been many, many gay men that have played in the nfl.