Back-up QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I hope they never need him (Prefer Goff to stay Healthy!) but I am hoping the Rams can re-sign Bortes!

Rams77

Starter
Funny thing I just downloaded the updated rosters on Madden and Wolford was in during my preseason game and could barely hit the broadside of the barn. I just hope the makers of the game drastically underrated him. If not then we need a better backup. Rosen would be intriguing if he were cheap enough.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get that Dalton is expensive and this is therefore a moot point but man. Imagine Goff going down early in the season and Bryce Perkins trotting out. At least with Dalton you'd still have a sliver of hope.

That Carolina game a few seasons ago when Sam did his ACL after a really promising start to the season... man. That crushed me. Just hoping for a better plan B than what's there at the moment. That's not to say those guys might not develop into something - but they are not starter level at the moment unless they have some secret Kurt Warner juju in there somewhere.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With COVID-19 threat, LA Rams must sign free agency QB ASAP

When the LA Rams sat down to plan for the 2020 NFL season, I can only speculate what those conversations may have addressed. But I believe with some certainty that neither the LA Rams nor any NFL team, truly anticipated what a topsy-turvy world it would become in 2020 due to the risks of the coronavirus pandemic.

Risks of infection to the general population that are so great that schools were closed, the economy was forced to a skeleton crew and the NFL had to “wing it” by shutting down contact with rookie prospects as well as each other, to avoid the likelihood of transmitting the disease and overwhelming our healthcare network of services.

Not out of the woods yet

While some communities have begun the slow crawl back to eventual normalcy, we are by no means out of the woods just yet. And that return to what we once considered normal is subject to returning back to high restrictions if the infection rate begins to spike once more. We have no cure yet, just measures to prevent rapid rates of infection. That’s not just for the fans, but also for the players. That includes LA Rams quarterback Jared Goff.

Right now, Goff’s only backups are second-year quarterback John Wolford, and two undrafted rookies Josh Love and Bryce Perkins. Even if the Rams carry all three on the roster behind Goff, will it be enough? While there can be a very robust debate as to whether or not Wolford can take over for the Rams in 2020, I don’t think anyone believes that either Love or Perkins will be ready to do so in time for 2020. That means that the Rams must do more, and quickly before time runs out. What are some options? Well, veteran Cam Newton and former LA Rams Blake Bortles are still unsigned.

Quarantine Quarterback

The NFL is shooting from the hip right now. There was no way to anticipate all the twists and turns required to make this NFL season- which hasn’t even arrived yet – happen. And with that being said, the LA Rams had no warning to the potential disaster which could unfold in 2020. Imagine what devastating impact the Rams season would face if starting quarterback contracted COVID-19 and was quarantined to prevent infecting his teammates and opposing players when the season began? That would be a hard situation to accept.

The Rams may not have had the money to sign a premium free-agent quarterback for a normal season, but 2020 is proving to be anything but a normal season so far. Should the Rams bite the bullet to sign a veteran “just in case”? I’m not sure the team truly has an option here.

Insurance policy always seems extra until it’s needed

I have no intention of avoiding reality. The LA Rams may not want to spend the money on a veteran free-agent quarterback to back up Jared Goff. But just like any other insurance policy, the cost of obtaining one is debated until the need for the insurance occurs. Then it was the best bargain ever. So where would the Rams tuck away such a “quarantine quarterback” on the roster?

View: https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1273424549330079745?s=20

The Rams cannot afford to go four to six weeks praying for success at the quarterback position. Even if John Wolford himself is up to the challenge, any adversity to starting QB Jared Goff places an undrafted quarterback one step closer to running the LA Rams offense in 2020. I love our quarterbacks but would prefer to delay their NFL debut for at least one season. That means the Rams should consider NFL free agency, specifically either Cam Newton or Blake Bortles.

The case for Cam Newton

By this time, we should realize that the cost of Cam Newton should not be the issue. We’ve witnessed that many solid veteran quarterbacks have signed fire-sale deals to remain in the game. While some believe that Cam Newton will only start, and will demand a lot of money, things change. Right now, the asking price of Newton is still significant, because he remains convinced that some NFL team will call to offer him a starting quarterback role. That is not what the LA Rams will offer if or as they call.

To the Rams, Newton is that pocket Ace, ready to jump in when the Rams need him to take over for an injured or unhealthy Jared Goff, and simply to win and keep winning until the Rams starter can take over. Will Newton bring controversy? Absolutely. He brings a dimension to the Rams not yet seen. He is as great of a threat to run the ball as to pass it. And that will immediately polarize the fanbase of any NFL team with a starting pocket passer. Fans love offensive weapons, and to spectators, they get two such weapons for the price of one with Newton.

Newton brings wins, but at a price

Can the LA Rams win with Cam Newton under center? Absolutely! In fact, with the struggles of the LA Rams offensive line from 2019 potentially carrying over into 2020, he could be even more successful than any other quarterback on the market or roster right now. As the pocket breaks down, off goes Newton down the field. So defenses will measure their pass rush to contain Newton. That will give him more time to find receivers than stationary quarterbacks. And he remains a threat to lead any NFL team in rushing.

But he is a different style of quarterback. He improvises, which creates nightmares for offensive linemen and for rigid offensive coaches. Quarterbacks who can threaten to run confuse the hell out of offensive linemen who attempt to protect their quarterback, but have no clue where that quarterback may set up during the play. That translates into sacks that should never occur, and desperate penalties to avoid sacks in the process. It also focuses the offense upon the quarterback, and less upon the play strategy. In the end, rather than Newton supporting the Rams offense, the Rams offense would eventually support Newton.

But bring back Blake Bortles

Still, with all that flash and brilliance, there is just as much to be said about the familiar and comfortability of re-signing a player the team knows intimately, and more importantly, knows the team intimately. Despite the addition of offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell, the LA Rams offense is still based on the offensive genius of head coach Sean McVay. And no free-agent quarterback knows the LA Rams offense better than Blake Bortles.

So why did the team part ways with Bortles? Well, the team parted ways with many 2019 contributors, and eventually found ways to bring them back to the roster. Look no further than Andrew Whitworth, Austin Blythe, Michael Brockers, Morgan Fox, Johnny Mundt, and Coleman Shelton for examples of players who the team parted way, and yet re-signed them. Blake Bortles returning to the Rams for one more season makes as much, if not more, sense.

A specific time for a specific role

Clearly, the Rams felt the need to develop the quarterbacks of the future for the team. While that can still be the case, there is not much room for a young rookie quarterback to develop when the game is coming at them at supersonic speed. Signing back Bortles simply adds one more veteran voice to the quarterback room, gives the young quarterbacks a chance to learn and digest at a more comfortable pace, and ask questions to a player who has been in the NFL for more seasons than any other quarterback.

Bortles may not guarantee as many wins as a Cam Newton, but he will most certainly arrive at an affordable price, and will likely help develop the Rams young quarterbacks at a faster pace. But most importantly, adding Bortles ensures that even if Wolford wins the backup quarterback role this season, the Rams will continue to have sufficient depth to develop young arms for their chance to start in the future.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My thoughts on this haven't really changed and I dont think the Covid situation actually makes a difference here. We dont have an even remotely proven QB2. I would be uncomfortable going in to ANY season in that position.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Shortened preseason raises concerns about Rams' backup QB situation

The Rams have put an alarmingly large amount of faith in three quarterbacks who have never taken a snap in the NFL as backup options behind Jared Goff. They currently have John Wolford, Bryce Perkins and Josh Love as candidates to replace Blake Bortles as Goff’s backup, though all three of them went undrafted in the last three years.

It’s hard to be confident in that group of unproven players, especially with the NFL now trimming two weeks from the preseason. That means the Rams will have even less time to evaluate their backup quarterbacks in game action, raising even greater concerns about the situation.

Wolford is the most experienced of the bunch and has a slight edge as of now, but he’s only attempted 44 preseason passes in his career. Perkins and Love went undrafted this year and have proved nothing in the NFL just yet.

While they must understand the league’s approach to the preseason, the Rams can’t be thrilled about the league trimming two games from the schedule. Wolford, Perkins and Love needed as many reps and as much playing time as they could get, but now they’ll have to split reps across just two games.

Will the Rams give Wolford significantly more playing time in the preseason, knowing he’s the top candidate for the backup job? Or will they evenly split the reps and hope one of the three players emerges in a big way as the clear-cut choice to back Goff up?

Even with four exhibition games, the backup quarterback group was a major concern; Gil Brandt of NFL.com called it one of the NFL’s biggest roster holes. Now, it’s an even bigger red flag.

The Rams should strongly consider signing a veteran to come in and compete for the backup job. Blake Bortles spent last year with the Rams and should have a firm grasp of Sean McVay’s system. Matt Moore stepped in for Patrick Mahomes in Kansas City and kept the Chiefs afloat for a few weeks last year.

Both players would be decent options for the Rams, at least giving them a decent fallback plan in the event that all three of their young quarterbacks struggle in camp and the preseason. This is certainly a situation worth monitoring.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

The Rams have put an alarmingly large amount of faith in three quarterbacks who have never taken a snap in the NFL as backup options behind Jared Goff. They currently have John Wolford, Bryce Perkins and Josh Love as candidates to replace Blake Bortles as Goff’s backup, though all three of them went undrafted in the last three years.

It’s hard to be confident in that group of unproven players, especially with the NFL now trimming two weeks from the preseason. That means the Rams will have even less time to evaluate their backup quarterbacks in game action, raising even greater concerns about the situation.

Wolford is the most experienced of the bunch and has a slight edge as of now, but he’s only attempted 44 preseason passes in his career. Perkins and Love went undrafted this year and have proved nothing in the NFL just yet.

While they must understand the league’s approach to the preseason, the Rams can’t be thrilled about the league trimming two games from the schedule. Wolford, Perkins and Love needed as many reps and as much playing time as they could get, but now they’ll have to split reps across just two games.

Will the Rams give Wolford significantly more playing time in the preseason, knowing he’s the top candidate for the backup job? Or will they evenly split the reps and hope one of the three players emerges in a big way as the clear-cut choice to back Goff up?

Even with four exhibition games, the backup quarterback group was a major concern; Gil Brandt of NFL.com called it one of the NFL’s biggest roster holes. Now, it’s an even bigger red flag.

The Rams should strongly consider signing a veteran to come in and compete for the backup job. Blake Bortles spent last year with the Rams and should have a firm grasp of Sean McVay’s system. Matt Moore stepped in for Patrick Mahomes in Kansas City and kept the Chiefs afloat for a few weeks last year.

Both players would be decent options for the Rams, at least giving them a decent fallback plan in the event that all three of their young quarterbacks struggle in camp and the preseason. This is certainly a situation worth monitoring.

Just throw them all out there, which ever lives gets the job, simple.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Mcvay said he is comfortable with Wolford. I actually think he played better than Bortles and has an upside to him.
If Goff goes down The Rams season would be just about over from any extended time.

oldnotdead

Legend
The problem with all this advocacy for signing a vet QB as a backup is that when you look at who is available there isn't one that is clearly better than Wolford. The only exception being Bortles who I sincerely doubt would want to return. Also, why pay more for a backup who isn't definitely better than who you have for less.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Still hoping the Rams can re-sign Blake Bortles!

If McVay & O'Connell go in this direction I'm a fan of it too. Bortles does bring a different element to the table being able to run and granted some will debate that Bortles only good year was because of an elite running game in Jacksonville and that might be true, however, Bortles has had a year in the system and unless they really like Wolford, I would welcome Bortles back with open arms.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Still feelin the LOVE. Let's go with the kid QB and let this staff build him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Believe me, they always called me Scrappy and my motor never stopped, IMO, it was a kiss of death.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There’s no way Wolford is the #2 QB unless they carry 3 on the 55.
I laugh at the love for Wolford. Impressive in 4th Q against the scrubs of the scrubs

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Perkins is my choice. He's got a throwing motion that concerns me, but the dude can flat-out fly, and he has a good arm. He's got the best chance of getting a Taysom Hill-like role (playing on special teams, maybe even a wildcat role on very rare occasions), and that's why I think he wins the job.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Perkins is my choice. He's got a throwing motion that concerns me, but the dude can flat-out fly,

I like Perkins too, plus he played at Virginia, so I know he has it from the neck up too, however, he's very raw and I believe he could use a year of development. Wolford could be the one, but I personally would feel better with Bortles.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Again the word "Scrappy" usually applies to a white player that are not very good IMHO.
Joyner was scrappy. Was he white? :biggrin:

tenor.gif