Austin Pettis waived (confirmed)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
League source say that Pettis and practice squad WR Emory Blake were late for a team activity over the weekend.

Athos

Legend
I just dont get the Love for Givens by Fisher. I trust Pettis over Givens. Pettis has been the go to guy for third down conversions and has had 1 bad game being that guy. Just dont get it

My only guess is because Pettis was Spag's guy and Givens is Fisher's guy. Still, Givens was pretty much buried on the depth chart the entire season and Sunday was his first catch of 30 or more yards on the season. He only has 80 total.

I never thought much of Pettis, but I'd have kept him over Givens.

I'm pretty much shifting away from wanting Gurley now. I say Amari Cooper or Kevin White and don't look back.

lockdnram21

Legend
I just read on twitter that Pettis and And Blake were late to a meeting on Saturday. That's why they got cut

lockdnram21

Legend
My only guess is because Pettis was Spag's guy and Givens is Fisher's guy. Still, Givens was pretty much buried on the depth chart the entire season and Sunday was his first catch of 30 or more yards on the season. He only has 80 total.

I never thought much of Pettis, but I'd have kept him over Givens.

I'm pretty much shifting away from wanting Gurley now. I say Amari Cooper or Kevin White and don't look back.

We still don't need a WR in the first round this year it's either lb or cb imo

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Late for a meeting? Could be.

I wonder if he failed another test?

Lots of speculation. I am shocked.

Athos

Legend
I just read on twitter that Pettis and And Blake were late to a meeting on Saturday. That's why they got cut

Source? If true, not exactly the thing to do when you're already struggling to get snaps in the game.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Hm guess I will wait to see if the "late to a meeting" thing is the reason, but otherwise I was thinking this did not necessarily have to be a punishment thing. It could simply be a reaction to Pettis being inactive for the first time, and both him & the Rams seeing the writing on the wall. Maybe he and Fish talked and Pettis asked for release and a chance to catch on somewhere else this season. Maybe Fish agreed not from a value or bottom line, but as thanks for his loyalty in being a team guy restructuring his contract earlier. I know it's silly, but sometimes I still like to believe their could be loyalty and cooperation in today's jaded world...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
We waive a wr. for discipline reasons and beat the hawks they trade one for discipline reasons and they cry it's why we beat them,POOR BABIES

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
When is Chris Long eligible for return? Wonder who takes Pettis' spot in the meantime.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Missed meeting, failed test, other... We may never know for sure. A wise man once told me that there are two reasons for everything: The one they tell you and The real reason.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Might be they have the Sneed eye on a player that can help the team more than Pettis

RamBill

Legend
Austin Pettis released to clear spot
By Nick Wagoner
ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...is-rams-emory-blake-too?ex_cid=espnapi_public

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In something of a surprise move, the St. Louis Rams released wide receiver Austin Pettis on Monday afternoon.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said the move was needed to clear space to help at a position other than wide receiver.

"We appreciate Austin's contributions, everything that he's done here," Fisher said. "He made a lot of plays for us. We needed to make some moves with respect to some other positions. I'm not going to go into detail about what we're going to do but we needed a roster spot."

However, a league source said Monday afternoon that Pettis and practice squad receiver Emory Blake were late for a team activity over the weekend. The Rams also released Blake on Monday.

That doesn't mean there's no validity to the reason Fisher gave but it surely played a part in Pettis' release and was likely the major factor in cutting Blake. Pettis also was a pregame inactive for the Rams on Sunday afternoon, clearing the way for Chris Givens to return to action after sitting out the previous two weeks.

Givens made a key 30-yard catch to set up the Rams' final touchdown in the fourth quarter.

"Nobody likes being inactive, especially if you've been a contributor like he has been," Fisher said. "He worked right through it. Some guys can mope around and not work hard, and he worked even harder, which was good to see."

Pettis was already in something of a precarious roster spot after he restructured his contract in early September, agreeing to take a pay cut that saved the Rams $481,000 against the salary cap. The former third-round draft choice out of Boise State had 12 catches for 118 yards and a touchdown in five games this season. In three-plus seasons with the Rams, Pettis had 107 catches for 1,034 yards and nine touchdowns.

Without Pettis, the Rams have five receivers on the roster in Brian Quick, Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey and Givens.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Hm guess I will wait to see if the "late to a meeting" thing is the reason, but otherwise I was thinking this did not necessarily have to be a punishment thing. It could simply be a reaction to Pettis being inactive for the first time, and both him & the Rams seeing the writing on the wall. Maybe he and Fish talked and Pettis asked for release and a chance to catch on somewhere else this season. Maybe Fish agreed not from a value or bottom line, but as thanks for his loyalty in being a team guy restructuring his contract earlier. I know it's silly, but sometimes I still like to believe their could be loyalty and cooperation in today's jaded world...
Good points, Fatbot. I would like to believe it to be something like this as opposed to disciplinary actions. Good luck Austin. I'm sure someone will pick you up quickly.

GO RAMS!!!!