Aug-08 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nobody wants Britt to be cut at this point. The idea is that we are tired of Britt and Quick ( almost choked on my cookie saying this) being the Rams best receivers. Hopefully soon, the day will come that we can say that the Rams top receivers are in the same conversation as Brandon Marshall, or Alshon, or Hopkins, etc...The Rams are full of 2's and 3's.

And Tavon is not Welker. He isn't even best in the slot. First Quick is great, and now Tavon is Welker. I was excited about the Groh hire. Now, I am worried.

We'll have you seen any of the practices ?? If not have you been listening to how the offense has been competing against The Rams defense ? Who by the way are mixing things up, & are a top 10 defense when healthy.

lockdnram21

Legend
Nobody wants Britt to be cut at this point. The idea is that we are tired of Britt and Quick ( almost choked on my cookie saying this) being the Rams best receivers. Hopefully soon, the day will come that we can say that the Rams top receivers are in the same conversation as Brandon Marshall, or Alshon, or Hopkins, etc...The Rams are full of 2's and 3's.

And Tavon is not Welker. He isn't even best in the slot. First Quick is great, and now Tavon is Welker. I was excited about the Groh hire. Now, I am worried.
As
_
In disagree. How do u know tavon can't be like welker? They said he's been working on route running. Also u never know groh night be what Quick needed. Why not just wait and see?

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I wonder how the offense line looked in pads on Saturday against the D'line.
-- The D'line will get a good test against Dallas O'Lineman .The 2 squads know each other well from last year.

I'm no expert but it appears the Dline is just going through the motions ran get now, IMO the red Jersey has a lot to do with this. I'm looking forward to seeing both lines in live action, I think the Dline will have a good match up again at Dallas's Online. While our Online should be able to build confidence against a not so strong Dallas Dline.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm no expert but it appears the Dline is just going through the motions ran get now, IMO the red Jersey has a lot to do with this. I'm looking forward to seeing both lines in live action, I think the Dline will have a good match up again at Dallas's Online. While our Online should be able to build confidence against a not so strong Dallas Dline.
Nice post !! Agreed...

The Rams have built those Pillars Spags could not build.---

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Really not expecting anything flashy or life changing from the first preseason game. They are not going to try and impress fans nor should they. Build the team with a methodical approach and hope they come together in the second half like a contender. Don't sweat the small shait we won't know anything until mid season

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I think that you've touched upon a very important factor here, RamBall.

And I've seen it mentioned by multiple camp reporters.

Maybe we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves with regard to this "new" O just yet.

Let's first see how they look against the Cowboys. Not a great D, but still players trying to win a job.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The numbers bear out the opposite result.
Ahhh, welcome back....miss you around here...now all I need is @CoachO to make an appearance...maybe @Hammer ..
The numbers...the numbers...none of Tavon's numbers scream anything....in fact, I agree with the assessment of Groh, Tavon has been misused & underutilized. Partly due to scheme, and mostly due to the inability of his QB. I will say, Tavon DID play with Sam...as a rookie...and had several targets....and showed ME, he wasn't ready for such a large role...and was plagued by the dropsies...I can almost guarantee had we used Stedman in that first year role, somehow a lot of things would be different....I'll just leave it at that.
His numbers so far, he averages less than 10 yards per catch....
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/tavon-austin-player-stats
http://www.nfl.com/player/tavonaustin/2539336/careerstats
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AustTa00.htm
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15786/tavon-austin
I say, the numbers point to the use of guys with his type of quickness inside, in motion, and quickly get the ball in their hands. He should play with faster players to "clear out" areas where he can then sit down, catch a deeper pass, and quickly get down, ala Ike Bruce...his deep strikes should come in the seems as defenders look for his quick passes. He should be better than Az Hakim....but for some reason...we're going square peg-round hole with this guy for 3 years....
I have hope that Groh & Boras can finally right this major wrong and get this guys talent to match his production....pleasure seeing you in threads again bro....figured you were working on your Masters & writing a Thesis...(y);)

both of them would have shown to be #1s by now, even with the QBs we had.
Hmmm....a lil tough on Britt....I feel you....on Britt, some...He excels in the deep ball...Sam & Foles were the primary deep ball passers...Sam was hurt...Foles went foles....in between he had Kellen, Davis, Case....who am I missing???
but never really established a good connection with our best deep threat...His targets do not say #1....He's another guy I want to get more targets, THEN, I can make a fair judgement on this guy....
Quick had one year to really show what he can/could do...2014...we all know the story...no need to relive/rehash it....If Quick gets some love, some throws, then I'll believe he can't be a very good wr...Some guys, oops ALL GUYS need the ball thrown their way. I will say this about Quick...I beat his drum a lot....I can see the talent...If he can't get it done with Goff, in year one, it is time to move on....
Havenstein, 24, started at right tackle in all 13 of the games he played in last season.
Caught a glimpse of this guy at camp on TV yesterday...He looked real huge...;):) Walking on the sidelines...

Help me understand what people have seen from Tavon that makes them say he's better in the slot?
Short area quickness....It's a PROVEN formula in getting shifty players open...there are 2 ways you can attack the middle of the field. It's kinda crucial you have a plan, because it's an area known for getting guys knocked out...Big, strong, with soft hands over the middle, or the smaller shifty slot wr...Check around the league...The reason it's easier, you can neutralize man to man/bump coverage at the LOS on the smaller receiver in the slot....The defense has to play off....The traffic in the middle is easier to negotiate with smaller players...Big guys are effective, but best believe they'll usually get hit too.
Out wide...on the island...it is imperative that the wide out, the "X", win at the LOS quickly as to not disrupt the timing of the play...plus, even in tight coverage, a gun-slinger can just put it up there and hope his receiver can win. It leads to having a physical specimen out wide...To save the day/QB, make a play on a contested pass...5'9, 170....or 6'3, 220....who do you want out wide? Who do you want in the slot? Choose....:cool:

Does anyone know how many drops Britt had last year? Or targets?
Hard to find....a great stat is target to receptions....drops are too subjective...that is, was a contested ball still catchable, or did the wr drop it? Some sites assume any contested pass isn't a drop...
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12556/kenny-britt
http://www.nfl.com/player/kennybritt/71217/careerstats
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5130/kenny-britt
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/kenny-britt-player-stats
need an internet wizard....

he does have a very high number of targets...for a Rams wr...lil worried about Kenny...but think he's a great #2.

We're four days away from first preseason action and that's probably also the countdown until the first refrain of "don't worry it's just vanilla in the preseason" to justify a lack of vertical threat and stale looking offense,
While I'm tired of that mantra as well....I remember the Sam B. in 2014...How he was throwing some lasers....Moving the team...Not vanilla...then his last knee injury as a Ram...Vanilla doesn't have to be ugly or nasty....We'll know on the 1's vs 1's where the offense stands...
I'm no expert but it appears the Dline is just going through the motions ran get now,
Totally agree...no where near 100%....I see a bunch of defenders doing this...O-Line too...

Whew! that's a mouthfull...anything I miss? C'mon fellas, it's time for football...but let me see the new additions to the booty thread:sneaky:

Last edited:

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone know how many drops Britt had last year? Or targets? I've watched pretty much every game since he's been a Ram, I don't recall him dropping that many, unlike Jared Cook.

Also even the good/great receivers drop passes, I just don't get all the clamoring for him to be cut after a few drops in practice.

He got 72 targets and 36 receptions. He was ranked 93rd in drops according to this site.
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BritKe00.htm

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He got 72 targets and 36 receptions. He was ranked 93rd in drops according to this site.
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BritKe00.htm
Thanks T-Rex... @Sleep1711

https://www.profootballfocus.com/worst-hands-in-nfl-this-season/

Kenny looks horrible....but again PFF....whats a drop? Personally, I think Quick has better hands...Probably a bunch of these rookies do too...

And 3 years ago...so this is a trend...
https://www.profootballfocus.com/signature-stats-drop-rate/
He may feel himself unlucky that the lack of chemistry between Kenny Britt and every QB on the Titans’ roster has prevented him having enough catchable balls thrown his way to qualify. As it is, he’s dropped a third of those he should be securing.

But again, this is PFF, look who showed up on drop rates 4 years ago....
https://www.profootballfocus.com/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/
(Minimum of 40 catchable balls thrown your way to qualify)

Dropping the Ball

A good place to start is to look at which guys have dropped the ball the most. In that regard a hearty congratulations to Wes Welker who dropped 15 catchable balls in season 2012.

Ouch.

That’s one more than Calvin Johnson, who himself had one more than Brandon Marshall. That shouldn’t be much of a surprise when you consider those three represent 75% of the Top 4 most targeted receivers in the league (the exception being Reggie Wayne). Obviously it stands to reason that the more opportunity you have to drop a ball, the more balls you will drop.

It’s for that reason that we created our Drop Rate. So take a look at who had the most drops below, and then move on to see some numbers that really matter.

So, last edit....total drops matter, but drop rate...Where our boy Kenny shows up, AGAIN, is key....

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As

In disagree. How do u know tavon can't be like welker? They said he's been working on route running. Also u never know groh night be what Quick needed. Why not just wait and see?

Well I don't think we have a choice there do we. But Quick is no Alshon, either way.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We'll have you seen any of the practices ?? If not have you been listening to how the offense has been competing against The Rams defense ? Who by the way are mixing things up, & are a top 10 defense when healthy.

I have heard the good and bad of camp reports for ten plus years. None of it matters until the real games are played. As I said before, I recall reports of Jimmy Kennedy finally getting it, and that small school receiver a few years ago tearing it up in camp only to be cut two weeks later. I have read promising Bradford reports and Quick reports. When the real games start and players are being hit, and things speed up, it is a whole new ball game.

Ever think that talking up Quick could be an attempt to build his confidence? Coaches never do that do they:sneaky:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
When has Quick been considered one of the Rams best receivers? Maybe for a few games in the Austin Davis year before he got hurt, but still.

I get being frustrated with not having a top tier go to guy at receiver, but that doesn't mean people should harp on Britt for a couple drops in an otherwise solid camp so far. No point in calling for your current best option to get cut because you're frustrated that he isn't the ideal No.1 option. It's just kinda senseless. Hopefully one of the guys on the roster steps up and plays like a go to guy, if not, that's what FA and the draft are for (granted the young guys are given proper time to develop).

Don't think there's any reason to be worried about this hire yet. Seems to me that the offense and receivers have been actually been having more success in this year's camp compared to the previous few, at least according to reports

I am not calling to cut Britt. Never said that.

Proof is in the pudding with Groh, and we don't get to eat until September. Pre-season games are vanilla. Camp is not real football. If there is a huge difference this year, then I will be singing his praises. But, from what I have seen over the years, I have to hope that he is just trying to be positive and pump some players up.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have heard the good and bad of camp reports for ten plus years. None of it matters until the real games are played. As I said before, I recall reports of Jimmy Kennedy finally getting it, and that small school receiver a few years ago tearing it up in camp only to be cut two weeks later. I have read promising Bradford reports and Quick reports. When the real games start and players are being hit, and things speed up, it is a whole new ball game.

Ever think that talking up Quick could be an attempt to build his confidence? Coaches never do that do they:sneaky:

However that works Quick has been a tough guard in the red zone this offseason.--Saturday will be a big tell.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I think that you've touched upon a very important factor here, RamBall.

And I've seen it mentioned by multiple camp reporters.

Maybe we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves with regard to this "new" O just yet.

Let's first see how they look against the Cowboys. Not a great D, but still players trying to win a job.

From what I have seen both Keenum and Goff appear to hold the ball too long before dumping it off, on quite a few occasions yesterday it appeared that the window of being open, opens and closes quickly. Mannion seemed to anticipate the window on intermediate routes where as Keenum and Goff were reluctant to press the issue

WestCoastRam

Legend
@LACHAMP46, as far as I can see, Tavon hasn't really shown much in the short area quickness skill set. He's got long speed and acceleration but I haven't seen the short area quickness that would actually make him a better slot option. I guess we're watching a different player.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tavon hasn't really shown much in the short area quickness skill set.
hmmm....lets see if I can help...just a few days ago, they showed a clip of the wideouts doing a simple sprint out/10 yard speed out....I remarked when I saw it how slow Marquez & Spruce looked doing it...And I used Tavon as MY reference point....Because, even on film, with my eye, I could tell how much faster Tavon ran this route than any other player on our team....He's gotta be the quickest & fastest player on the Rams from a dead start....and it appears he can cut with the best of them...
I think when he's thinking about the route, the coverage, the snap, the strip club from the night b4:mustache: (JK ;)) naw seriously, he seems to play a lil slower than what he actually is on certain plays...
As far as long speed...I think guys like gurley, britt, maybe those Tennesee guys (North & Randolph) could run him down after about 80+ yards....big guys maintain their top speed/form better...IMO...Carl Lewis fan...and yeah, that kid from..Jamaica can run...what's his name?