Article: Nine Players, Infinite Sadness (Washington Post on RG3 trade)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...aches-its-final-nadir/?utm_term=.c6179405716a

By Matt Bonesteel June 15 at 12:36 PM
traded tackle Greg Robinson to the Detroit Lions in exchange for a sixth-round draft pick in 2018, ESPN reported, and while that might not seem all that newsworthy on the surface, it’s notable for two reasons.

1. Robinson was the No. 2 pick in the NFL draft just three years ago.
  2. He was the last player the Rams selected with the smorgasbord of picks they ultimately ended up with after the 2012 draft-selection swap they made with the Washington Redskins.
The Redskins landed Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Robert Griffin III with that trade, sending the sixth overall pick and their second-round selection in the 2012 draft and first-rounders in 2013 and 2014 to the Rams. Eventually, the Rams made even more deals with those picks and ended up with eight players, three selected in the first round. It was a deal that could have changed the course of both franchises, in other words.

It didn’t. Griffin helped lead the Redskins to the playoffs and was named NFL offensive rookie of the year in 2012 but saw his career derailed by injuries. Washington has been back to the playoffs just once since then, and it was with Kirk Cousins (selected in the 2012 fourth round) at quarterback. The Rams, meanwhile, last had a winning record in 2003 and have gone 31-48-1 since the deal.

It was, ultimately, the most meaningless big trade of all time.

The Redskins received:

— 2012 No. 2 pick (Robert Griffin III: One incandescent season, then injuries. Currently team-less after a mostly sad season with the Browns in 2016.)

The Rams received, after making more deals involving the picks they got from Washington:

— 2012 No. 14 pick (DT Michael Brockers: Constant if unspectacular starter on the Rams’ defensive line. Signed contract extension last year.)

— 2012 No. 39 pick (CB Janoris Jenkins: NFL all-rookie team in 2012. Made the Pro Bowl last season, but it was for the Giants after leaving via free agency.)

— 2012 No. 50 pick (RB Isaiah Pead: Career never got off the ground, thanks in part to an anterior cruciate ligament tear in the 2014 preseason. Lost part of his left leg in November car crash.)

— 2012 No. 150 pick (G Rokevious Watkins: Played in four career NFL games.)

— 2013 No. 30 pick (LB Alec Ogletree: Apart from an injury-marred 2015 season, constant starter for the Rams)

— 2013 No. 92 pick (WR Stedman Bailey: 59 career catches over three seasons. Hasn’t played since 2015 after he was shot multiple times in November of that year. Is said to be attempting a comeback, though it likely won’t be for the Rams, who waived him in April.)

— 2013 No. 160 pick (RB Zac Stacy: Nearly rushed for 1,000 yards as a rookie but was traded to the Jets after the Rams took Todd Gurley in 2015. Announced his retirement in February.)

— 2014 No. 2 pick (T Greg Robinson, traded to the Lions on Wednesday after he was benched twice in 2016.)

So, in summation, only two of the nine players involved in the 2012 Redskins-Rams draft-pick swap remain with the team that drafted them. Only four of the nine currently are on an NFL roster. The same number likely will never play in an NFL game again.

And you wonder why there are so few big NFL trades.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like getting three players is the final tally for the Rams. Of those, maybe Ogletree ends up being a Pro Bowl type we'll see.

Three of nine of course is not a good rate. GRob busting is a big part of how that thing ends up looking too, as if they'd hit on that pick it would have been just about right in terms of what to expect given league miss rates per round and whatnot.

Draft is an inexact science, but an underwhelming haul that's for sure.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Let's see....we got 2 players...... How many does Washington have from that trade....Oh...that's right, NONE!

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Jesus, If I went 2 for 8 on something with my job, i'd be fired...well i can't be fired, but I'd go out of business that's for sure.
How does Snead still have a job again?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Brocker is far from " Unspectacular" and is going to open Eyes this year!
The BIG IF is Stedman Bailey, Sad story, What if!?!
And the other Players the Rams Drafted because of these picks! Like Donald!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jesus, If I went 2 for 8 on something with my job, i'd be fired...well i can't be fired, but I'd go out of business that's for sure.
Look at ALL the Draft pick Sneads been involved in and the UDFA's he's brought in!! Not just those 8!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because Fisher had control and made the calls and the Rams know it. Now they've given Snead a short leash and a couple years to prove he wasn't a failure like Fisher.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I think an appropriate name for this would be "The Cursed Trade"

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To think, the Rams could have just sat back and taken RGIII for themselves....

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
This is how I look at it, the Rams needed numbers, our team was in such a mess, players needed to be upgraded front-to-back and I think that Fisher and Snead did a really decent job of it from that trade. These picks also allowed us the luxury of draft picks like Gurley and Donald IMO...

• DT Michael Brockers: is a stud for the Rams - not everyone is a highlight grabber, but I'd put money on Brockers makes things easier for Aaron Donald.
  • CB Janoris Jenkins: Again is a stud CB, should never have left the Rams stable though, i would have loved Pop-D to have coached him.
  • RB Isaiah Pead: Muffed-selection, I never understood this selection. Sad what happened to him post-nfl
  • G Rokevious Watkins: a 5th round pick that didn't work out - C'est la vie
  • LB Alec Ogletree: A solid starter, wait and see what Pop-D does with him, things are looking up...
  • WR Stedman Bailey: Was a solid WR on the rise, would still be producing right now if that shooting hadn't happened
  • RB Zac Stacy: Again a 5th rounder that punched above his weight, stellar 1st year, but I think there were injuries niggling away at him
  • T Greg Robinson: Dumb-ass selection, hated it at the time, hate it now...

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Let's see....we got 2 players...... How many does Washington have from that trade....Oh...that's right, NONE!

That is a false equivalency.
The Rams had multiple picks/players that were a gamble.
The Redskins had one.

Having said that you can argue the Rams (who had more variables at risk) did a better job.

Ram65

Legend
This is how I look at it, the Rams needed numbers, our team was in such a mess, players needed to be upgraded front-to-back and I think that Fisher and Snead did a really decent job of it from that trade. These picks also allowed us the luxury of draft picks like Gurley and Donald IMO...

• DT Michael Brockers: is a stud for the Rams - not everyone is a highlight grabber, but I'd put money on Brockers makes things easier for Aaron Donald.
  • CB Janoris Jenkins: Again is a stud CB, should never have left the Rams stable though, i would have loved Pop-D to have coached him.
  • RB Isaiah Pead: Muffed-selection, I never understood this selection. Sad what happened to him post-nfl
  • G Rokevious Watkins: a 5th round pick that didn't work out - C'est la vie
  • LB Alec Ogletree: A solid starter, wait and see what Pop-D does with him, things are looking up...
  • WR Stedman Bailey: Was a solid WR on the rise, would still be producing right now if that shooting hadn't happened
  • RB Zac Stacy: Again a 5th rounder that punched above his weight, stellar 1st year, but I think there were injuries niggling away at him
  • T Greg Robinson: Dumb-ass selection, hated it at the time, hate it now...

Good take on the draft.

If they had resigned JJ they would have had 3 very good starters. They did get production out of JJ and Stacy. Bailey was just a very bad break for him and Rams.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
We also need to simply look at who has been better over theyears since that trade? Washington easily wins in that respect. So in the end it doesn't really matter, since now it's more or less "reset." Regardless, I'm glad we have who we got from the trade and believe they'll be pivotal pieces moving forward to seeing the Rams succeed.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
It's pointless to look back at things like this, altho I guess we are all guilty of it from time to time. But, for instance, take that 2014 draft: If we don't have that #2 overall pick from Washington to take a tackle, maybe we take a tackle at 13 (or move up, who knows) and miss out on Donald.

Having those extra picks allowed us to make other moves, even if they weren't a direct result.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Brockers
Ogletree
Janoris

for

RG3

- the Rams win this trade hands down

It's not even close.

Basically both teams drafted a bust at #2.
We acquired 3 good starters, and got a good season out of Stacy.

When you consider the fact that without those picks, getting Donald is probably not a luxury we could have afforded.. if the Donald selection isn't taken into consideration, we still came out on top.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The Redskins received:

— 2012 No. 2 pick (Robert Griffin III: One incandescent season, then injuries. Currently team-less after a mostly sad season with the Browns in 2016.) Not taking RG3 was a Rams Win.

The Rams received, after making more deals involving the picks they got from Washington:

— 2012 No. 14 pick (DT Michael Brockers: Constant if unspectacular (Very good - Above Average) starter on the Rams’ defensive line. Signed contract extension last year.) - Rams WIN

— 2012 No. 39 pick (CB Janoris Jenkins: NFL all-rookie team in 2012. Made the Pro Bowl last season, but it was for the Giants after leaving via free agency.) Still a valuable choice despite losing him via free agency which does not invalidate the value of the selection. - Rams WIN

— 2012 No. 50 pick (RB Isaiah Pead: Career never got off the ground, thanks in part to an anterior cruciate ligament tear in the 2014 preseason. Lost part of his left leg in November car crash.) One of only 2 bad picks - Rams LOSE

— 2012 No. 150 pick (G Rokevious Watkins: Played in four career NFL games.) He was a fifth round pick so lack of production value is mostly irrelevant. - Throw away pick that did not work out.

— 2013 No. 30 pick (LB Alec Ogletree: Apart from an injury-marred 2015 season, constant starter for the Rams) He was a second team all-pro in 2017 who has started since his rookie year and is constantly getting better. He is well above average for the position and well worth a first round draft pick. - Biggest Rams WIN

— 2013 No. 92 pick (WR Stedman Bailey: 59 career catches over three seasons. Hasn’t played since 2015 after he was shot multiple times in November of that year. Is said to be attempting a comeback, though it likely won’t be for the Rams, who waived him in April.) As a fourth round pick there is no fault here in talent evaluation or draft value. PUSH

— 2013 No. 160 pick (RB Zac Stacy: Nearly rushed for 1,000 yards as a rookie but was traded to the Jets after the Rams took Todd Gurley in 2015. Announced his retirement in February.) Also a fifth round pick that at least produced in the NFL. PUSH

— 2014 No. 2 pick (T Greg Robinson, traded to the Lions on Wednesday after he was benched twice in 2016.) The one big bust on the list and the only other true draft failure along with Pead. - Rams LOSE .

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Would we have drafted Donald, if we hadn't made the RG3 trade?

Would we have traded up for Austin, if we hadn't made the RG3 trade?

It's too hard to really know the haul from that trade, but on the surface it does appear we could have done much better with the actual picks from WASH.