Anyone else find all the combine numbers a bit ridiculous?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Oh no player X's arms are 33 inches instead of 33 and a half!

Look...he measured a couple inches shorter than expected!!!

Disappointed in his 40 time...a 4.48 is not the same as a 4.44.

I'm mean come on. Combine is just overanalyzing (by the media) at its finest. It's great to see the athletes and their personalities, but I really get annoyed when irrelevant numbers get used to say if a player is in trouble of "falling" or not.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Re: Anyone else find all the combine numbers a bit ridiculou

I agree. I think the NFL has taken an even that is viewed by a lot of top NFL people as useless and turned it into a media circus. PFT ran a blip the other day that said that nearly every team is only concerned with medical exams and then interviews, with actual combine numbers falling by the wayside.

Tape is all that really matters, the NFL and powers that be have just managed to get us hyped on random numbers.

fearsomefour

Legend

Totally agree. Part of the reason Bruce fell to the second round was he was not considered that fast. Judging a guy who has to cut like a WR on a 40 when he is running in a straight line doesnt make much sense. There was a period of time when Bruce was uncoverable. I do enjoy seeing the big guys display their over all athleticism, which is what the 40, vertical jump ect. is all about. Larry Allen had a big sloppy body but was one of the best guards in NFL history in my opinion.
But, all part of the fun I guess.

jap

Legend

Too much of the measurements are track & field measurements rather than football data. I always felt football players should run, say, the 40-yard dash in pads. That would give you their real game day speed. The same for all other drills. Make the combine drills truly football related.

People get fooled by the track & field numbers too often. Desmond Howard ran a 4.4 in track shorts. Put him in pads, and the figure drops to 4.6. Meanwhile, a workout warrior like Jerry Rice ran 4.6 in track shorts and pads. The differences were in the hundredths digit.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

jap said:
Too much of the measurements are track & field measurements rather than football data. I always felt football players should run, say, the 40-yard dash in pads. That would give you their real game day speed. The same for all other drills. Make the combine drills truly football related.

People get fooled by the track & field numbers too often. Desmond Howard ran a 4.4 in track shorts. Put him in pads, and the figure drops to 4.6. Meanwhile, a workout warrior like Jerry Rice ran 4.6 in track shorts and pads. The differences were int eh hundredths digit.
True. Fendi Onobun comes to mind too. Physical specimen with all the right measurements. Height, speed, strength, hand size, quickness. But then you see him with #49 on his back and he looks like just an ordinary backup TE with no real explosiveness or special skills.

I like the way Snead evaluates guys. It's all visual.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

I've often wondered why they don't include shoe size into the Combine weekend, I mean, a 6'7" guy with tiny feet would be useless on the playing field, he'd just fall over...

But seriously, I think Combine is more about how an individual handles the media attention, questioning, interviewing etc to find out if there's a prize a$$ in the draft.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I like seeing the guys next to each other in movement drills, it tells me a lot, apples to apples, but nothing is better than tape study.

I love watching the 40's, and the verts. Weight means a lot when it comes to lineman. Some measurements mean too much to some people. The bench can tell you a lot about a guy, such as, does he work out, it points towards his work ethic.

I love the combine.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

I have to be honest as a kid in the 80's i used to have handwritten playbooks and books of stats I'd record from newspapers i'd import from the US, I too love the Combine....

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Im gonna go against the grain a bit.

Ill agree that most of the measurements dont mean anything, however every year there is a guy who's' stock drops or shoots up on the basis of how he measured and performed. Those few instances are what makes the measurements interest.

Julio Jones comes to mind as a guy who's stock shot up and Burfict as a guy who's stock was destroyed.

There are always intriguing stories. This year it has to be Manti Te'o. How does he interview? How does he run?

I like to see the guys that just put up gaudy numbers too. They may not mean much, bu tI find it interesting.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

X said:
jap said:

People get fooled by the track & field numbers too often. Desmond Howard ran a 4.4 in track shorts. Put him in pads, and the figure drops to 4.6. Meanwhile, a workout warrior like Jerry Rice ran 4.6 in track shorts and pads. The differences were int eh hundredths digit.
True. Fendi Onobun comes to mind too. Physical specimen with all the right measurements. Height, speed, strength, hand size, quickness. But then you see him with #49 on his back and he looks like just an ordinary backup TE with no real explosiveness or special skills.

Wow. Couldn't agree more. I remember watching the tape of Fendi's pro day and thinking there was almost no way he wouldn't be successful. First time I saw him in pads I was all like.... Da fuq??? Thought he was #48 tho....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Faceplant said:
X said:
jap said:

Wow. Couldn't agree more. I remember watching the tape of Fendi's pro day and thinking there was almost no way he wouldn't be successful. First time I saw him in pads I was all like.... Da fuq??? Thought he was #48 tho....
You're right. #48.
That's how memorable he was to me. :neh:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

jap said:

Yeah - and with a CB or Safety angling toward him to knock him on his ass. :sly:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Well... If all this data didn't help the evaluation process I'm sure they'd stop doing it. So, it must work for the scouts.

I agree with jap, however; would be nice to see these guys work in pads.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

CGI_Ram said:
Well... If all this data didn't help the evaluation process I'm sure they'd stop doing it. So, it must work for the scouts.

But then we wouldn't have been able to see Andre's tits.

andresmith.jpg

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Never gets old Dr :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MojoRisin

UDFA

DR RAM said:
The bench can tell you a lot about a guy, such as, does he work out, it points towards his work ethic.

I love the combine.

Where you a little concerned with the Brockers pick? He didn't exactly light up the bench.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:

andresmith.jpg
lol. His torso reminds me of this muppet character.

fs7Qxu6.jpg

MojoRisin

UDFA

X said:
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:

andresmith.jpg
lol. His torso reminds me of this muppet character.

fs7Qxu6.jpg

I was thinking this

UbjJvQF.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

MojoRisin said:
DR RAM said:
The bench can tell you a lot about a guy, such as, does he work out, it points towards his work ethic.

I love the combine.

Where you a little concerned with the Brockers pick? He didn't exactly light up the bench.
I was a little, and when he gets stronger, he will be unstoppable, but if you watched his tape, he plays with such incredible leverage that I thought he'd be fine. Now, he ended up being better than fine, but he hasn't come close to reaching his ceiling. Great pick, especially considering we moved down to get him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

DR RAM said:
MojoRisin said:
DR RAM said:

I love the combine.

I was a little, and when he gets stronger, he will be unstoppable, but if you watched his tape, he plays with such incredible leverage that I thought he'd be fine. Now, he ended up being better than fine, but he hasn't come close to reaching his ceiling. Great pick, especially considering we moved down to get him.
His bench press was misreported initially.

[tweet]175686962064269313[/tweet]

He later benched at his pro day and put up 21 reps. Which isn't tremendous, but it is better than what was initially reported. But for someone with 35 inch arms, it's not all that bad either. Plus, most of his strength and push comes from the way he drives with his legs.