Anybody heard players thoughts on Frank Cignetti?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rambone

UDFA
I’d be especially interested in what Cook has to say. Remember he spoke up after the Arizona game about being “out-coached”. Now Fisher made it a point to publicly say he “talked” to Cook about that – perfectly understandable (can’t undermine the leadership). But at the end of the day I believe Cook was only saying what other players believed, and Schotty is now gone.

I’d be interesting to hear their take ‘cause they gotta believe and buy into the OC.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
1. I think Cook was talking about the coaching as a whole (and doing rather ill-advisedly) than about Schotty.

2. Schotty's gone because he took a job that had a better chance of leading to a head coach position and in a regime that was in far less danger of being fired after this year. If Fisher was really dissatisfied as to what he was doing, we would have gone a complete other direction rather than promoting from within.

While a number of fans disliked Schotty, there really isn't any evidence indicating that players or coaches felt the same way. It's tempting to project one's own viewpoint onto players/coaches, but we have no evidence that it's true.

All that said, the only bad thing I've ever heard said about Cignetti was that he reportedly had a very bad attitude and supposedly players disliked him for it.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
1. I think Cook was talking about the coaching as a whole (and doing rather ill-advisedly) than about Schotty.

2. Schotty's gone because he took a job that had a better chance of leading to a head coach position and in a regime that was in far less danger of being fired after this year. If Fisher was really dissatisfied as to what he was doing, we would have gone a complete other direction rather than promoting from within.

While a number of fans disliked Schotty, there really isn't any evidence indicating that players or coaches felt the same way. It's tempting to project one's own viewpoint onto players/coaches, but we have no evidence that it's true.

All that said, the only bad thing I've ever heard said about Cignetti was that he reportedly had a very bad attitude and supposedly players disliked him for it.

I certainly don't dispute that you heard that, I just wonder if you know who they are/were ? The college players, other pros ?? Ram QBs ??? Just curious...Seems odd to me that Fisher would make this move if he knew of this ...Players don't have to like coaches, but to hire a guy who already has had probs with players doesn't sound too cool to me...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I certainly don't dispute that you heard that, I just wonder if you know who they are/were ? The college players, other pros ?? Ram QBs ??? Just curious...Seems odd to me that Fisher would make this move if he knew of this ...Players don't have to like coaches, but to hire a guy who already has had probs with players doesn't sound too cool to me...
Actually, I heard about it from @Memento. You'll have to ask him where he heard of it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Which game was it that Cook vented about the coaching? AZ?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Cook gets too much crap from fans.
I disagree his team leading numbers are a product IMO of the rest of the teams deficiency and he has a penchant for dropping clutch balls

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
his team leading numbers are a product IMO of the rest of the teams deficiency
So are you saying he's the best receiver on the team because everyone around him isn't very good? If so i fail to see how that translates to fans trashing the guy.

As far as dropping clutch passes i can think of one HUGE drop. I don't have stats to look at, but excluding the few elite TE's in the league like Gronk, Hernandez, J.Graham, the older Jason Witten's, Gates etc...Jared Cook is right below these guys IMO. Second tier in the NFL. No complaints from me.

iced

So are you saying he's the best receiver on the team because everyone around him isn't very good? If so i fail to see how that translates to fans trashing the guy.

As far as dropping clutch passes i can think of one HUGE drop. I don't have stats to look at, but excluding the few elite TE's in the league like Gronk, Hernandez, J.Graham, the older Jason Witten's, Gates etc...Jared Cook is right below these guys IMO. Second tier in the NFL. No complaints from me.

going into Bradford's injury, the Rams were one of the top teams in drops (believe leading the nfl the week prior or 2 weeks)... Givens and Cook were the biggest culprits

last season , among tight ends, cook was one of the worst

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/25/sig-stats-drop-rate-tes/

8 drops, 35th out of 36

Dickson Downside

Down at the other end of things Ed Dickson didn’t help his free agent stock by dropping five of the 30 catchable balls thrown his way. An in-line blocker who struggles in this regard, there was little surprise when the Ravens opted to let him hit the open market after a number of opportunities spurned. Still, at least he wasn’t costing the team an arm and a leg, like say Jared Cook. The Rams paid him big to be an impact player, not drop eight of 59 catchable balls to give him the second worst drop rate of all tight ends. Far from ideal.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
going into Bradford's injury, the Rams were one of the top teams in drops (believe leading the nfl the week prior or 2 weeks)... Givens and Cook were the biggest culprits
I know and i remember that. Drops were a problem all around. It was ridiculous.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Qb

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Fisher said in his press conference that if Bradford didn't endorse Cignetti, he wouldn't be the OC.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

last season , among tight ends, cook was one of the worst

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/25/sig-stats-drop-rate-tes/

8 drops, 35th out of 36

Dickson Downside

Down at the other end of things Ed Dickson didn’t help his free agent stock by dropping five of the 30 catchable balls thrown his way. An in-line blocker who struggles in this regard, there was little surprise when the Ravens opted to let him hit the open market after a number of opportunities spurned. Still, at least he wasn’t costing the team an arm and a leg, like say Jared Cook. The Rams paid him big to be an impact player, not drop eight of 59 catchable balls to give him the second worst drop rate of all tight ends. Far from ideal.

Eh, a few more than average is OK.