Andrew Whitworth expected to sign with LA Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...barnwell-grades-big-2017-free-agent-deals-nfl

OT Andrew Whitworth, Rams
Grade: B+

The Rams have spent years attempting to develop their left tackle of the future -- without any success. Now they have their best left tackle since Hall of Famer Orlando Pace. Whitworth isn't quite a Hall of Famer, but he has been one of the five best left tackles in football for several years now while protecting Andy Dalton's blind side in Cincinnati. He hasn't slipped much, if at all. Stats LLC suggests Whitworth didn't allow a single sack during the 2016 season.

The 35-year-old obviously isn't going to be Los Angeles' left tackle for the long haul, which raises questions as to why a rebuilding team would hand Whitworth a three-year, $36 million deal. There are two clear arguments for the deal. One is that the Rams are really committed to Whitworth for only one year; they guaranteed the three-time Pro Bowler $12.5 million in 2017 with just $2.5 million due in guarantees the following year. That's paying Whitworth less than the franchise tag would have cost this season.

Jared Goff. Goff was a mess in the pocket as a rookie but also was beset by pass pressure; he faced the league's third-highest blitz rate (34.3 percent) and second-highest pressure rate (35.6 percent) while taking sacks an unreal 11.2 percent of the time. No quarterback was going to look remotely competent under that level of pressure, let alone somebody as inexperienced as Goff. Whitworth should take over for the massively frustrating Greg Robinson and lock down one side of the line for the time being.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Watching his press conference, both he and Woods are very well spoken individuals. Said the right things and said them with genuine interest in overall team building and winning.
The locker room and especially the Offensive room just gained a ton of leadership and professionalism.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0632030669089805256-4

Alden Gonzalez, ESPN Staff Writer

C6mz2mYW0AANRf3.jpg

LT Andrew Whitworth said there were "a lot of teams" that pursued him, but said the Rams were "very persistent and wanted to get it done." On joining a team that isn't primed for a Super Bowl run: "Some guys literally look to where they can go that they think gives them their best odds to win it every year.

I've never really looked at it that way. I look at the challenge of playing football every week, me against whoever their best player is that plays that position across from me, and me trying to win."

New LT Andrew Whitworth, on whether he's still at the top of his game: "Age is obviously an issue. How much longer I'll get to play? Who knows. But the reality is I feel like I can still go out every Sunday and help my team win. I still feel like I'm going to win enough percentages of blocks that you're going to feel like that's not a position you have to worry about."

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Similarly to McVay I could listen to the big man talk all the time! Going to bring a great presence to the locker room and the OLine room.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This guy will be huge in GRob's development.
While I agree he could be I wonder if there is a development for him or if they plan on letting him go after this year. Unless of course he suddenly beasts it this season. His contract makes it pointless to cut him he's guaranteed salary. I just wonder if he's in the long term plans.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
While I agree he could be I wonder if there is a development for him or if they plan on letting him go after this year. Unless of course he suddenly beasts it this season. His contract makes it pointless to cut him he's guaranteed salary. I just wonder if he's in the long term plans.
I am sure that is completely up to Grob.