An Open Letter to NFL Owners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if the City of St Louis can sue the NFL for serious money if it comes out soon, with a changing of the guard, that Spygate had a significantly larger impact on the outcome of the SB game loss for the Rams. As a result, the Rams franchise moving situation (should it become a real issue in February) was due in part (like being exposed to asbestos and dying 15 years later) because of a cheating scandal that was swept under the carpet by Goodell to keep the NFL dirty laundry out of the public eye. The Rams win that game, who knows where we would be. Yes, I'm still bitter.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Here's what happens when you dare to speak out against Roger Goodell and his crew:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-espn-bill-simmons-suspended-20140924-story.html

ESPN's Bill Simmons suspended for Goodell rant; barred from Twitter
By RYAN PARKER

600x338

Sports analyst Bill Simmons, shown in Los Angeles in 2011, was suspended for three weeks after a rant against NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. (Tiffany Rose / WireImage)

ESPN analyst Bill Simmons has been suspended for three weeks after he made profane comments about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell during a podcast.

In addition, Simmons is not allowed to use Twitter while suspended, an ESPN spokesman confirmed to The Times.

Shortly after the suspension was announced, #FreeSimmons began trending worldwide on Twitter.

On his BS Report podcast hosted on ESPN.com, Simmons used the F word multiple times while passionately exclaiming that Goodell was lying about his involvement and knowledge of the mishandling of the Ray Rice domestic abuse scandal.

“Goodell, if he didn’t know what was on that tape, he’s a liar. I’m just saying it. He is lying. If you put him up on a lie detector test, that guy would fail. For all these people to pretend they didn’t know is such ... . It really is, it’s such ... . For him to go into that press conference and pretend otherwise -- I was so insulted.”

Simmons, also the editor-in-chief of Grantland.com, then dared ESPN to reprimand him for what he said during the same podcast.

“I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell,” Simmons said. “Because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. ... Please, call me and say I’m in trouble. I dare you.”

ESPN did just that.

“Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN’s journalistic standards,” it said in a statement. “We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks.”

This is not the first time Simmons has been in hot water for comments he has made.

In March 2013, Simmons was suspended from Twitter by ESPN after he tweeted comments about a segment on the popular show "First Take" during which co-host Skip Bayless and flamboyant Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman went shot-for-shot while discussing Sherman's comments about his greatness, Deadspin reported.

Follow @theryanparker on Twitter for breaking news.

As someone on Twitter said, Simmons' suspension is longer than the original Ray Rice suspension.

Way to sacrifice your integrity for your corporate partner, ESPN. I'll be avoiding them for a while.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Here's what happens when you dare to speak out against Roger Goodell and his crew:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-espn-bill-simmons-suspended-20140924-story.html

ESPN's Bill Simmons suspended for Goodell rant; barred from Twitter
By RYAN PARKER

600x338

Sports analyst Bill Simmons, shown in Los Angeles in 2011, was suspended for three weeks after a rant against NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. (Tiffany Rose / WireImage)

ESPN analyst Bill Simmons has been suspended for three weeks after he made profane comments about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell during a podcast.

In addition, Simmons is not allowed to use Twitter while suspended, an ESPN spokesman confirmed to The Times.

Shortly after the suspension was announced, #FreeSimmons began trending worldwide on Twitter.

On his BS Report podcast hosted on ESPN.com, Simmons used the F word multiple times while passionately exclaiming that Goodell was lying about his involvement and knowledge of the mishandling of the Ray Rice domestic abuse scandal.

“Goodell, if he didn’t know what was on that tape, he’s a liar. I’m just saying it. He is lying. If you put him up on a lie detector test, that guy would fail. For all these people to pretend they didn’t know is such ... . It really is, it’s such ... . For him to go into that press conference and pretend otherwise -- I was so insulted.”

Simmons, also the editor-in-chief of Grantland.com, then dared ESPN to reprimand him for what he said during the same podcast.

“I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell,” Simmons said. “Because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. ... Please, call me and say I’m in trouble. I dare you.”

ESPN did just that.

“Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN’s journalistic standards,” it said in a statement. “We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks.”

This is not the first time Simmons has been in hot water for comments he has made.

In March 2013, Simmons was suspended from Twitter by ESPN after he tweeted comments about a segment on the popular show "First Take" during which co-host Skip Bayless and flamboyant Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman went shot-for-shot while discussing Sherman's comments about his greatness, Deadspin reported.

Follow @theryanparker on Twitter for breaking news.
Media control is alive and well. It's no easy feat getting anti-establishment messages to the public via controlled media outlets.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I doubt they came at this as a free speech issue! Got on him for the foul language he used is my thought! If I'm wrong, then frack espn!:(

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I doubt they came at this as a free speech issue! Got on him for the foul language he used is my thought! If I'm wrong, then frack espn!:(
Yeah ,that and he dared the administration to confront him, guess he got what he wanted:eek:

Alan

Legend
Ramrocket forgetting something important:
And then quotes journalistic standards??? Rather oxymoronic I'd suggest
I don't believe that his suspension has anything to do with his language or his opinion of Goodell. It's all about his disrespect of his boss and the upper management at ESPN. Which of us could come out in public and dare our boss to do something about our behavior, good or bad? I'd say none of us would survive that. I'm surprised it was only a suspension.

fearsomefour

Legend
So the media (ESPN in this case) suspends someone who exercises free speach?

Odd.
In the age of PCism in America, nothing is viewed as more offensive than having an opinion....nothing more dangerous than telling the truth.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The worst thing Goodell has done is make him self a centerpiece. He is way too visible. His image should be one of the man who reads the draft picks...all the disciplining, decision making, etc. should be behind the scenes and nothing more than a crawling sentence at the bottom of ESPN.

You rarely saw Paul Tagliabue being such a limelight hog. I don't think you even see the attention Goodell brings on himself by the long-time MLB commissioner, Bud Selig.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I know the anti-Goodell crowd is going to latch onto this, and I know the manipulating media types will too......

But honestly what did he, or you guys for that matter, expect to happen? He launched a profanity laced tirade, it doesn't matter WHO was the target. If you use that kind of volatile language and profanity you'll get in hot water. Then if you double down by saying you dare anyone to do anything about it then you're really going to get it. Simmons is the limelight hog here.

It reminds me of this. You asked for it, you got it!!!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ended-more-for-calling-out-espn-than-goodell/

Report: Simmons suspended more for calling out ESPN than Goodell
Posted by Mike Florio on September 25, 2014

simmons1.jpg
Getty Images

The reaction to ESPN’s reaction to Bill Simmons’ reaction to Roger Goodell’s reaction to Ray Rice’s reaction to his then-fiancée has continued through Wednesday night and into Thursday morning. Simmons is being praised for calling out Goodell, and ESPN is being criticized for kowtowing to 345 Park Avenue.

It’s a great narrative. It would be even better if it were, you know, accurate.

According to John Ourand of SportsBusiness Daily, Simmons’ three-week suspension arose more from his decision to dare ESPN executives to take action than from his profane remarks about Goodell. Ourand also reports that the NFL didn’t call ESPN to complain about Simmons.

“Goodell, if he didn’t know what was on that tape, he’s a liar,” Simmons said regarding Goodell in a Monday press conference. “I’m just saying it. He is lying. I think that dude is lying. If you put him up on a lie detector test that guy would fail. For all these people to pretend they didn’t know is such f–king bullsh-t. It really is. It’s such f–king bullsh-t. And for him to go in that press conference and pretend otherwise, I was so insulted. I really was.”

Simmons then provoked ESPN to do something about it.

“I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell,” Simmons said. “Because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The Commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. . . . Please, call me and say I’m in trouble. I dare you.”

Now that ESPN has accepted the dare, the question becomes whether Simmons will indeed “go public.” Simmons’ self-crafted-and-ESPN-enabled image that he’s untouchable currently stands at a crossroads. If he says nothing, his wings have indeed been clipped. If he speaks out (as he vowed to do), then he’s still the guy who cajoled upper management into letting him say and do whatever he wants, regardless of how any other ESPN employee reacts to an environment in which one standard applies to Simmons, and another standard applies to pretty much everyone else not named Chris Berman.

If Simmons really is what he has portrayed himself to be, the situation will escalate until ESPN backs down or Simmons walks out. The problem for Simmons is that, even if he lands elsewhere (and he surely would), the platform wouldn’t be as big and his autonomy wouldn’t be as great.

Even if his autonomy suddenly isn’t as great as he thought it was.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's triple distilled "calling your bluff" Simmons got what he deserved IMO.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ended-more-for-calling-out-espn-than-goodell/

Report: Simmons suspended more for calling out ESPN than Goodell
Posted by Mike Florio on September 25, 2014

simmons1.jpg
Getty Images

The reaction to ESPN’s reaction to Bill Simmons’ reaction to Roger Goodell’s reaction to Ray Rice’s reaction to his then-fiancée has continued through Wednesday night and into Thursday morning. Simmons is being praised for calling out Goodell, and ESPN is being criticized for kowtowing to 345 Park Avenue.

It’s a great narrative. It would be even better if it were, you know, accurate.

According to John Ourand of SportsBusiness Daily, Simmons’ three-week suspension arose more from his decision to dare ESPN executives to take action than from his profane remarks about Goodell. Ourand also reports that the NFL didn’t call ESPN to complain about Simmons.

“Goodell, if he didn’t know what was on that tape, he’s a liar,” Simmons said regarding Goodell in a Monday press conference. “I’m just saying it. He is lying. I think that dude is lying. If you put him up on a lie detector test that guy would fail. For all these people to pretend they didn’t know is such f–king bullsh-t. It really is. It’s such f–king bullsh-t. And for him to go in that press conference and pretend otherwise, I was so insulted. I really was.”

Simmons then provoked ESPN to do something about it.

“I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell,” Simmons said. “Because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The Commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. . . . Please, call me and say I’m in trouble. I dare you.”

Now that ESPN has accepted the dare, the question becomes whether Simmons will indeed “go public.” Simmons’ self-crafted-and-ESPN-enabled image that he’s untouchable currently stands at a crossroads. If he says nothing, his wings have indeed been clipped. If he speaks out (as he vowed to do), then he’s still the guy who cajoled upper management into letting him say and do whatever he wants, regardless of how any other ESPN employee reacts to an environment in which one standard applies to Simmons, and another standard applies to pretty much everyone else not named Chris Berman.

If Simmons really is what he has portrayed himself to be, the situation will escalate until ESPN backs down or Simmons walks out. The problem for Simmons is that, even if he lands elsewhere (and he surely would), the platform wouldn’t be as big and his autonomy wouldn’t be as great.

Even if his autonomy suddenly isn’t as great as he thought it was.

Honestly, I think ESPN is putting this out there now for the rash of bad publicity they are receiving over the suspension. It really looks like they are kowtowing to the league, so they are latching on to the excuse.

The best way to handle this inicident would have simply been to ignore Simmons' rant. That would have made it look like they believe Simmons is insignificant in the overall scheme of things. By suspending him, they make him look like somewhat of a martyr, especially considering the heat that Goodell is under and the network's relationship with the NFL. They have given him and his rant far more publicity than it would have received had they ignored it.

As far as the profanity excuse, I'm not buying it considering it was a podcast in which he said it. While I've never listened to his podcast, I wouldn't be surprised if a few f-bombs have been dropped on it before.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“Because if one person says that to me, I’m going public"

What time is the press conference?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Honestly, I think ESPN is putting this out there now for the rash of bad publicity they are receiving over the suspension. It really looks like they are kowtowing to the league, so they are latching on to the excuse.

The best way to handle this inicident would have simply been to ignore Simmons' rant. That would have made it look like they believe Simmons is insignificant in the overall scheme of things. By suspending him, they make him look like somewhat of a martyr, especially considering the heat that Goodell is under and the network's relationship with the NFL. They have given him and his rant far more publicity than it would have received had they ignored it.

As far as the profanity excuse, I'm not buying it considering it was a podcast in which he said it. While I've never listened to his podcast, I wouldn't be surprised if a few f-bombs have been dropped on it before.

They couldn't possibly ignore what he said, it would be disastrous to allow someone to toss out a profanity laced tantrum then dare their employer to do anything about it..........it would just cause the situation to escalate. I think ESPN did what they had to do and had the right to do.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So the media (ESPN in this case) suspends someone who exercises free speach?

Odd.
This^ give you a good idea of just what will happen to any, and all open letters to Goodell!!
images4546.jpg
etrade-shocked-face.png
So their advise is..
f_x__krystal_wink_by_aitalee-d6f0p7y.gif

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
They couldn't possibly ignore what he said, it would be disastrous to allow someone to toss out a profanity laced tantrum then dare their employer to do anything about it..........it would just cause the situation to escalate. I think ESPN did what they had to do and had the right to do.

Sure they could have. How many people would even know about it if ESPN hadn't suspended him? Again, it was a podcast, not something said on live TV or radio, and how many podcast listeners does he have?

As far as the threat of escalating it? Sure, let him to that, and give him enough rope to metaphorically hang himself, then fire his ass.

I don't disagree that they had the right to do it, I just don't think they used good judgment considering the current situation. It looks like the suspended him for criticizing Goodell, and yet ESPN itself issued a report that in substance said the same thing that Simmons said about Goodell, i.e. that he's a liar. Their initial stateent after the suspension was all about "journalistic integrity" and such BS. Now they are leaking that the suspended him because of the dare, which has nothing to do with journalistic integrity, and looks every bit like ass covering in the firestorm of bad publicity they are getting.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
“Because if one person says that to me, I’m going public"

What time is the press conference?

That will be interesting to see. A friend of mine and I were speculating as to whether Simmons has "F U" money, knowing that he has a big house and likes gambling. The occurrence of lack thereof of him going public should be a good indication of that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That will be interesting to see. A friend of mine and I were speculating as to whether Simmons has "F U" money, knowing that he has a big house and likes gambling. The occurrence of lack thereof of him going public should be a good indication of that.
And if he tries to pull off any kind of an apology, he's finished

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
And if he tries to pull off any kind of an apology, he's finished

Pretty much.

I don't like the guy personally, I think he's a twit and have an overwhelming desire to punch him in the face for his Patriots homerism. Still think ESPN could have handled it without a suspension though.