An 8/14 camp report by OCRamRef68...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's OCRamRef68...

I attended todays practice. I just wanted to give everyone an eyewitness account. I just want to preface my remarks by saying that I don't have an agenda when it comes to Goff. I just want to give you my honest assessment. This is my 7th practice including the joint practice with the Chargers. This wasn't one of Goff's better days. I feel he's s made great strides in the practices I've attended, and has done a really good job of taking care of the football and avoiding turnovers. That wasn't the case today.

The 1st pick came on a red zone 11-11 segment. Connor Barwin lined up as though he was going to rush the QB, and at the snap, ran right to the middle of the field in coverage. This took away Goff's first read. As he reset his feet, he decided to force the ball to the outside LATE. Tru jumped the route for the pick. This is a situation were he needs to run the ball or throw it away and take the three points. This is a great situation to learn from.

The second pick came on a throw in to the end zone from about 35 yards out. This one was just tough luck. He had his receiver up the seam. It was a pretty good throw but the DB made a good play and knocked it away. The ball bounced off the receiver into a teammates arms. I'm OK with that one. I think they have to take some shots down the field.

The third pick came on an out route by Kupp. It looked like the play was designed to go there. It wasn't the best route by Kupp,, but Goff needs to pull that one down and go to the next read. BTW, Mcvay pulled Kupp aside after the play and discussed the route. I'm not saying it was Kupps fault, but to be fair each shared some blame on the play.

I was standing on the rail right next to Alden Gonzales as Goff had a nice TD to Kupp. I told him to write something positive about Goff. He said "when he gives me something positive to write about" jokingly. I said "what about that one?" He laughed. Well........ he never seemed to mention that play in any of his post game notes. Just saying!

There was one other good throw by Goff down the seam for about 30 yards. The throw had nice touch over the LB and in front of the safety. So it wasn't all bad

Mannion had an up and down day. He did have some good throws including a nice throw to Everett in the end zone and a little dump off to J Davis who walked into the end zone untouched, but he also had three throws that should have been picked. 2 were dropped and I don't know how the other one was completed for a TD to Hemingway. He was double covered and the DB just missed the ball.

I really think our defense is going to be good. Mike Jordan was a beast today and Troy Hill made some nice plays. I think the Rams felt Gaines was expendable because of the play of some of our DB's. Every practice I've been to, the secondary has been buzzing. Having to go against our Defense every day, has to make our offense better. I hope!

Tavon Austin was doing some work with a trainer on the sideline. I think he's getting close to coming back.

Ebukam was also out there doing some side work, but didn't participate. He looks close to coming back as well

J Reynolds and M Thomas were both back and full go

Goff stayed after practice to work with Watkins

In closing, I wouldn't over react one way or another in regards to Goff. Everyone seems to have an agenda when it comes to their assessment of him. From what I've seen in the practices I've attended, there are some real positives that you can take from his play, but he's not at the level we need him to be at yet. I personally think he'll get there. Let's let the process take place before we pass judgment. Completing 3 of 4 passes in a preseason game doesn't make him the greatest thing since sliced bread and 3 picks in a practice doesn't mean he's a bust either. We should know by about week 6 or 7.

Sorry I couldn't remember the name of every person involved in the plays I was describing. There was a lot to digest and I wasn't writing anything down.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 1st pick came on a red zone 11-11 segment. Connor Barwin lined up as though he was going to rush the QB, and at the snap, ran right to the middle of the field in coverage. This took away Goff's first read. As he reset his feet, he decided to force the ball to the outside LATE. Tru jumped the route for the pick. This is a situation were he needs to run the ball or throw it away and take the three points. This is a great situation to learn from.

live and learn.

I was standing on the rail right next to Alden Gonzales as Goff had a nice TD to Kupp. I told him to write something positive about Goff. He said "when he gives me something positive to write about" jokingly. I said "what about that one?" He laughed. Well........ he never seemed to mention that play in any of his post game notes. Just saying!

what a DNA rifle.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Thanks for sharing! Good to see Watkins and Goff working out after practice, its a good sign. OC guy makes a good point in the last paragraph. Goff is still the youngest starting QB in the league and the first half of the season will be a process for him and McVay as a first time head coach.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Wouldn't worry about Alden. He works for BSPN they are in the business to provide clicks. Further, I don't think he really likes the Rams anyhow.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The time to test those kinds of throws/windows is on the practice field. INTs thrown during practice are fantastic learning experiences.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Goff has looked pretty decent all camp. He had a bad day and those happen. This season is going to be a work in progress and it's important for everyone to remember that.
Last year was a joke, Fisher and co. Shouldn't have been allowed to coach a rookie qb. Especially a qb like Goff. This is like his rookie year with a real coaching staff, he's learning do things the right way and that takes time

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I think an emphasis on decision-making is McVay's strength, and it will all gradually slow down for Goff. Not worried.

And THANKS for sharing your report Rams43!

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In closing, I wouldn't over react one way or another in regards to Goff.
No one should...new system....new receivers....picks in practice don't bother me...welll a bunch might...it's picks in games that are a problem.

Hey 43, is OC Ram ref 68 a member of ROD?

Lets check, @OCRAMREF68
nope....another name perhaps?

Thanks for posting 43

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the report! Good to hear that guys with minor injuries are progressing.

TexasRam

Legend
You don't make it to the hall of fame by being captain checkdown. I want my QB to have a gunslinger mentality. I want to see Goff quicker and more decisive even if it means some growing pains and picks.

Good reminder that he's still a work in progress and we all need patience.

People forget Kurt Warner had 22 interceptions to 36 interceptions in 2001 in route to his 2nd Super Bowl and a record breaking points scored season.

Push the ball down the field and the defense gets easier and easier to exploit

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
What we have to realize is we still have a guy that should just now be a rookie in this league but has a season under his belt of being around NFL caliber players. He'll be fine come opening day. He's ahead of the curve for a rookie QB. Cup half full over here!!!!

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Thanks for the report. I always enjoy reading eyewitness accounts from practice.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Maybe Alden Gonzalez is a Cowboys fan and he's still feeling butt hurt about the ass whipping we gave them boys. :D

Zodi

Hall of Fame
What we have to realize is we still have a guy that should just now be a rookie in this league but has a season under his belt of being around NFL caliber players. He'll be fine come opening day. He's ahead of the curve for a rookie QB. Cup half full over here!!!!

Not to mention he's just now learning his first real NFL offense. :D

Ram65

Legend
They should make Goff go through progressions during these practices even if the first read is open and throw to the 2nd and 3rd reads.. I don't how much time he is getting but, it has to help him speed up his process. McVay mentioned he has to throw more away to avoid mistakes. Sounds like a good learning practice against a very good defense.

KayJay

Starter
There is an awfully premature narrative among analysts about Goff. And it continues to get pushed that he's an awful pick. Now whether he is or not, it remains to be seen. But it seems like some are intent to write him off before he even gets a chance. This narrative is pushed because nobody wants to be wrong or eat their words. So when it becomes popular to rag on someone, they all do it. People talk about him like he is good for nothing, like he's been in the league for years and has embarrassed himself.

Lol he's only played 7 games in an actual NFL season. This brings me to your point about Alden Gonzales. He's doing exactly what Marcellus Wiley has been doing on the radio since before Goff even took one snap in an actual game. Its become popular to rag on Goff. But I have full confidence in him, I take the good with the bad for now because I saw his ability at Cal. He steadily improved with literally nothing around him, that's what caught my eye. What I've seen so far from him anyway, lol is a lot different than last year. Last year he looked like he wasn't ready and when he played it showed. Idk, we'll see a little bit more this weekend. But I liked what I seen in that short stint vs. the Cowboys.

spamlord

Rookie
There is an awfully premature narrative among analysts about Goff. And it continues to get pushed that he's an awful pick. Now whether he is or not, it remains to be seen. But it seems like some are intent to write him off before he even gets a chance. This narrative is pushed because nobody wants to be wrong or eat their words. So when it becomes popular to rag on someone, they all do it. People talk about him like he is good for nothing, like he's been in the league for years and has embarrassed himself.

Lol he's only played 7 games in an actual NFL season. This brings me to your point about Alden Gonzales. He's doing exactly what Marcellus Wiley has been doing on the radio since before Goff even took one snap in an actual game. Its become popular to rag on Goff. But I have full confidence in him, I take the good with the bad for now because I saw his ability at Cal. He steadily improved with literally nothing around him, that's what caught my eye. What I've seen so far from him anyway, lol is a lot different than last year. Last year he looked like he wasn't ready and when he played it showed. Idk, we'll see a little bit more this weekend. But I liked what I seen in that short stint vs. the Cowboys.
The OLine he had to work with at Cal was ridiculously bad. The play calls were not playing to his strengths, either. But as you said, he improved every year at Cal. His last bowl game was nothing but perfect passing and six td throws. Might take a year or so to acclimate to the NFL - but he's the real deal.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My issue with Troy Hill is that he's a really bad tackler.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
My issue with Troy Hill is that he's a really bad tackler.

He just needs some tackling fuel.
7D959141-C571-4F33-A709-7D2BBA779B80-5911-0000045204B22A68.gif